• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:37
CEST 03:37
KST 10:37
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202610Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ BW General Discussion GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November]
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9872 users

Article:How Diablo 3′s AH Makes It Feel Pointless - Page 4

Forum Index > Diablo 3
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
screamingpalm
Profile Joined October 2011
United States1527 Posts
July 21 2012 15:29 GMT
#61
On July 22 2012 00:08 Phenny wrote:
Yeh but better than black market dodgy ripoff scam sites doing it (imo).


Make loot account bound.
MMT University is coming! http://www.mmtuniversity.org/
Roachu
Profile Joined June 2011
Sweden692 Posts
July 21 2012 15:30 GMT
#62
My second character (a monk) just reached lvl 60 and having a bank in the beginning does make the game insanely easy, even easier than it was before. Its really easy to become overpowered in this game (if you have the bank that is) because the ways to construct a powerful character are very limited. You pretty much stack either crit chance/dmg or life-on-hit. I didn't die until half through Hell and thats mostly because I become incredibly "lazy" while playing this game. I can be midway through a elite fight and notice I'm bathing in desecration and be too lazy to move. Not to mention 9 out of 10 elite stat configurations are super easy to deal with, the rest instakills you (arcane sentry scissor anyone?).
I still think the game is fun to play, I can get the same "I'll play a few games"-urge competitive Starcraft players feel but its more "I'll run act 2 a little bit". This is the kind of game you have to be creative and willing to accept challenges in order to be fun in the long run. Most obvious choice is playing hardcore though on bnet lag that mostly seems like masochism. Second most obvious is achievement-whoring. Otherwise you could try a "no rares" playthrough, restricting powerful skills and so on.
I've seen a ton of people complain and say things like "I bought on release, played 50 hours straight and got bored. fucking failure blizzard sucks". I don't understand that logic. People ground Diablo 2 for YEARS and when Blizzard releases an HD remake (which is EXACTLY what D3 is) people are surprised they won't get a few more years out of it? Stop putting impossible expectations on a game that just rehashes old stuff.
Don't be asshats
lcms
Profile Joined September 2011
Netherlands27 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-21 15:33:33
July 21 2012 15:32 GMT
#63
On July 22 2012 00:29 screamingpalm wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 22 2012 00:08 Phenny wrote:
Yeh but better than black market dodgy ripoff scam sites doing it (imo).


Make loot account bound.


Might be interesting if only uniques and sets were sellable and magic and rare wasn't. Much fewer item overflow in AH and people have to use the legendaries if they can't find better rares. Also makes it actually enjoyable to find uniques/legendaries.
WolfintheSheep
Profile Joined June 2011
Canada14127 Posts
July 21 2012 21:19 GMT
#64
On July 21 2012 13:08 Serpico wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 21 2012 11:08 WolfintheSheep wrote:
On July 21 2012 09:48 freetgy wrote:
was all the same in d2, though people don't want to realise this

Bullshit. Remember needing Enigma to beat Hell? Windforce to do manageable damage? SoJ to beat Diablo?

I never found a High Rune. I never found a Windforce. I never made an Enigma. And I never gave a damn, because I could do everything I ever wanted to do without caring about having the best of the best.

The only time I ever had to search high and low for items was when I made a level 9 dueling Assassin, and when I made a pre-1.10 Necro summoner that got 80+ minions. And the only reason I cared about those items was because I wanted to do something completely unconventional.

Diablo 3 is a game that rushes you into Inferno as fast as possible, and then makes you feel bad every time you don't see an ilvl63 with godly stats.

And now you're just misrepresenting the game. You needed none of that. Maybe you mean ubers. Diablo 3 has too much grinding and too little gratification in the end, the items are also boring and the affixes are as well. They screwed up the items and finding them which were two of the most important parts of the game.

I think you missed the entire point of my post. Those questions were entirely rhetorical, as the second paragraph should obviously show.
Average means I'm better than half of you.
Jisall
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States2054 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-21 21:49:00
July 21 2012 21:48 GMT
#65
Diablo 2 had HR's instead of gold as currency.

My only suggestion if buffing the character limit from 4 to 8 or whatever it was in D2, more people in a game is more fun.

Edit: Example: Nice HoZ, how much was it? 5 HR's.
Monk: Because being a badass is more fun then playing a dude wearing a scarf.. ... Ite fuck it, Witch Doctor cuz I like killing stuff in a timely mannor.
Moochlol
Profile Joined August 2010
United States456 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-21 23:22:56
July 21 2012 23:22 GMT
#66
TBH, the gameplay is really fun, however I cannot play a game this unpolished in conjunction with the current AH system, I'm gonna try Torchlight 2, cant go wrong with Matt Uleman as your composer!
blaaaaaarghhhhh
cLutZ
Profile Joined November 2010
United States19574 Posts
July 22 2012 00:48 GMT
#67
On July 22 2012 06:19 WolfintheSheep wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 21 2012 13:08 Serpico wrote:
On July 21 2012 11:08 WolfintheSheep wrote:
On July 21 2012 09:48 freetgy wrote:
was all the same in d2, though people don't want to realise this

Bullshit. Remember needing Enigma to beat Hell? Windforce to do manageable damage? SoJ to beat Diablo?

I never found a High Rune. I never found a Windforce. I never made an Enigma. And I never gave a damn, because I could do everything I ever wanted to do without caring about having the best of the best.

The only time I ever had to search high and low for items was when I made a level 9 dueling Assassin, and when I made a pre-1.10 Necro summoner that got 80+ minions. And the only reason I cared about those items was because I wanted to do something completely unconventional.

Diablo 3 is a game that rushes you into Inferno as fast as possible, and then makes you feel bad every time you don't see an ilvl63 with godly stats.

And now you're just misrepresenting the game. You needed none of that. Maybe you mean ubers. Diablo 3 has too much grinding and too little gratification in the end, the items are also boring and the affixes are as well. They screwed up the items and finding them which were two of the most important parts of the game.

I think you missed the entire point of my post. Those questions were entirely rhetorical, as the second paragraph should obviously show.


Indeed.

Freeeeeeedom
caradoc
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Canada3022 Posts
July 22 2012 00:51 GMT
#68
Nice article. succinct, to the point, and absolutely true.
Salvation a la mode and a cup of tea...
unkkz
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
Norway2196 Posts
July 22 2012 23:31 GMT
#69
On July 21 2012 08:32 Dfgj wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 21 2012 06:31 unkkz wrote:
Man up and play hardcore, problem solved

What do you think happens when you get to Inferno?

You'll spend 2x as much time on the AH because you want to overgear before doing anything.


Uhm no, i've been in inferno forever and you check the slots you need every few hours or so, takes 5 minutes tops. HC AH doesn't have 150 70 all res, 100+ dex 60+ vit shoulders etc since the economy is somewhat in check due to people dying.
evanthebouncy!
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
United States12816 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-23 00:24:18
July 23 2012 00:16 GMT
#70
My friend has a fairly good point on this:
In D2 you find an item and you build a character around it
"Omg I found TGod let me build a spear amazon!"

In D3 you... well... use Auction house
"God damn let me salvage more mats to sell to find what I need"
Life is run, it is dance, it is fast, passionate and BAM!, you dance and sing and booze while you can for now is the time and time is mine. Smile and laugh when still can for now is the time and soon you die!
evanthebouncy!
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
United States12816 Posts
July 23 2012 00:23 GMT
#71
The problem with AH as I see it is more that the knowledge of some godly items in existence. In D2 you kind-of know what the best of the best item is, and with the complicated way of calculating damage and what not it was hard to tell.
In D3 we are not so different from everyday woman looking at glamour magazines and realizing how really incredibly ugly we really are because ... well, frankly I'm wearing shit items so
Life is run, it is dance, it is fast, passionate and BAM!, you dance and sing and booze while you can for now is the time and time is mine. Smile and laugh when still can for now is the time and soon you die!
Roachu
Profile Joined June 2011
Sweden692 Posts
July 23 2012 00:55 GMT
#72
I can tell from the old D2 players here that you didn't play that game because the game itself was fun. You played the game because the loot system was better and items felt more precious. "I found X, let me play Y" doesn't make playing Y fun, it makes playing Y meaningful. D3 simply lacks meaning and motivation beyond beating inferno, or even just reaching lvl 60. When you reach lvl 60 you get a feeling of completion and that just shows how unpolished the game is.

Now my experience from D2 is playing it a shit ton completely offline (that is no patches, only the expansion) when I was a kid so if you think I'm wrong then fine.I was a real kid when playing it because I didn't understand anything really about it. I judged the power of skills in how fast they killed enemies when I got them; for example I thought Paladin was crap because of the auras and I still don't know what Attack Rating does in the game. I reached lvl ~45 with a Sorceress whom I'd spent every skill point in Lightning Nova and when that skill couldn't carry me I got stuck.
Don't be asshats
Iranon
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States983 Posts
July 23 2012 01:10 GMT
#73
On July 23 2012 09:55 Roachu wrote:
I can tell from the old D2 players here that you didn't play that game because the game itself was fun. You played the game because the loot system was better and items felt more precious. "I found X, let me play Y" doesn't make playing Y fun, it makes playing Y meaningful. D3 simply lacks meaning and motivation beyond beating inferno, or even just reaching lvl 60. When you reach lvl 60 you get a feeling of completion and that just shows how unpolished the game is.

Now my experience from D2 is playing it a shit ton completely offline (that is no patches, only the expansion) when I was a kid so if you think I'm wrong then fine.I was a real kid when playing it because I didn't understand anything really about it. I judged the power of skills in how fast they killed enemies when I got them; for example I thought Paladin was crap because of the auras and I still don't know what Attack Rating does in the game. I reached lvl ~45 with a Sorceress whom I'd spent every skill point in Lightning Nova and when that skill couldn't carry me I got stuck.


I agree with your first paragraph, most of the fun of D2 was in the items. It was always "picked up a phoenix and a dream in trades because items with auras are awesome, time to make an auradin", not "auradins are awesome, time to go trade for items with auras on them".
Perscienter
Profile Joined June 2010
957 Posts
July 23 2012 07:18 GMT
#74
I've always thought, that charms were very stupid and especially the outer-class-skills, which could be acquired.
TheToaster
Profile Joined August 2011
United States280 Posts
July 23 2012 07:52 GMT
#75
I honestly can't see playing the game without using the Auction House. What's the point of gold if I'm not going to spend it on trading? Wouldn't it just accumulate indefinitely and serve no purpose?

In my opinion, it's not really the Auction House that ruins the game, but moreso how Blizzard decided to handle drop rates and the difficulty of Inferno mode. I think they should have originally made the difficulty curve of Inferno less severe between different acts, so basically Act 2 doesn't shit in your face even though you have Act 1 completely on farm mode. Under those circumstances, they could reduce the drop rates on level 62 or 63 items so they actually have some sort of value in the player trading economy.

I guess one possibility for ignoring the AH is to buy crafting material and such on the Auction House, and just not gear upgrades. But then you are basically just trading items in a different kind of sense. Crafting material = crafted items, so whatever you crafted can essentially be considered as bought from the Auction House.
Oh, get a job? Just get a job? Why don't I strap on my job helmet, squeeze down into a job cannon, and fire off into job land, where jobs grow on jobbies!
unkkz
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
Norway2196 Posts
July 23 2012 08:19 GMT
#76
On July 23 2012 16:52 TheToaster wrote:
I honestly can't see playing the game without using the Auction House. What's the point of gold if I'm not going to spend it on trading? Wouldn't it just accumulate indefinitely and serve no purpose?

In my opinion, it's not really the Auction House that ruins the game, but moreso how Blizzard decided to handle drop rates and the difficulty of Inferno mode. I think they should have originally made the difficulty curve of Inferno less severe between different acts, so basically Act 2 doesn't shit in your face even though you have Act 1 completely on farm mode. Under those circumstances, they could reduce the drop rates on level 62 or 63 items so they actually have some sort of value in the player trading economy.

I guess one possibility for ignoring the AH is to buy crafting material and such on the Auction House, and just not gear upgrades. But then you are basically just trading items in a different kind of sense. Crafting material = crafted items, so whatever you crafted can essentially be considered as bought from the Auction House.


Act 2 doesnt completely shit in your face anymore if you have act 1 on faceroll status, just need to gear properly so you can actually take a hit or two. It takes quite a bit of act 1 farming however which requires u to simply get lucky.

To me AH only helps, i hated trade chat spam really or sitting in a game with my SS waiting for someone with a shako, and then idiots show up with no shako and try to haggle me for a deal.

The problem with softcore is that there are no ladder resets. There is no way to get items out of the economy. Just look at the HC AH and compare it to SC, it's working very well since it has an item dump in people dying.

Other then this the biggest fail to me, since im an item whore, is the low droprate of legendaries and set items coupled with the fact that getting a decent roll on one in D3 is like getting a perfect roll in D2. And to top it of like half of them are terrible items. Like there's a legendary 1hand crossbow(Izzycob something) that can have at its maximum dps, half the dps of a decent rare at its level. How did they think there? Why would anyone ever want that weapon? The legendaries and sets are boring, random and bad. This makes farming way less fun then it was in D2 because there were so many good items you could hope for on top of getting a decent rare. Now there's only a few good legendaries, and even if you beat the astronomical odds of getting one they can still roll strenght dex or dex int or some crap for their stats.
Startyr
Profile Joined November 2011
Scotland188 Posts
July 23 2012 11:11 GMT
#77
Diablo 3 seems to be a half hearted attempt at an always online game which has a max level and an 'end game'. Where 1-60 involves just buying items every few levels, essentially rushing to 60 to get into inferno and trying to make enough gold to buy the items you need. The auction house itself is limited and simplistic and takes away from the gameplay. It might as well allow buying/selling characters. Then you can go straight to farming items/gold in inferno to first make back what you spent on the character and then to try and make a profit. Which does not sound like an actual game to play for fun. In fact you end up spending money to essentially skip playing the game.

Diablo 2 was all about levelling, partly due to limited options to respec, mostly due to ladder reset. Where you spend time having fun developing a character.

I would like to point to this thread
http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?683461-Sept-Sept-Finished-amp-Summary

The basic idea was to create 7 hardcore characters of each class each with a different build. that is 49 character each with a different build.

So it is possible of doing something similar, perhaps only using what you can find or craft. Though of course just one of each class, and there are a lack of interesting items to base a build around and a general lack of information to try and maximise a character beyond seeing a higher number and assuming that it is better. Trying to not use the auction house is similar to pretending softcore is hardcore by saying that you will delete the character if you die and there is always that nagging feeling of just buying much better gear easily.
Monkeyballs25
Profile Joined October 2010
531 Posts
July 23 2012 19:44 GMT
#78
I think the AH does devalue the leveling experience a lot. Because low level gear is now so easy to get, anything you actually find is technically worthless. So I've found it a lot more enjoyable to just gear up through drops, crafting and swapping gear with my friend, and ignore the AH completely.
Medrea
Profile Joined May 2011
10003 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-23 19:59:06
July 23 2012 19:52 GMT
#79
All I ever did in D2 was trade items for money.

All I ever do in D3 is trade items for money.

I dont understand the complaints. its literally the exact same experience -.-

If I never visited the AH. I wouldn't have my dual 7970's or my 120hz monitor >.>
twitch.tv/medrea
Charger
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States2405 Posts
July 23 2012 20:00 GMT
#80
On July 24 2012 04:52 Medrea wrote:
All I ever did in D2 was trade items for money.

All I ever do in D3 is trade items for money.

I dont understand the complaints. its literally the exact same experience -.-


Only in D2 you had to sit in a trade window for hours. :p

I can sympathize somewhat with people who don't want to use the AH but are basically forced to but really you need to get over the fact that the AH is there. People would still be trading/buying/selling items via in game chat or 3rd party sites just like D2. It was still a giant crapshoot trying to farm items for your lvl/char that were upgrades in D2. All the AH does is ease the process of trading in Diablo, something it was severely lacking.
It's easy to be a Monday morning quarterback.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
QMC Community Tournament 1
Liquipedia
OSC
07:15
Masters Cup #151 Group C
davetesta31
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech139
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 12780
Shuttle 676
Artosis 607
Dewaltoss 6
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm149
League of Legends
Doublelift4014
Counter-Strike
taco 494
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox521
AZ_Axe110
Other Games
summit1g7929
shahzam693
Day[9].tv544
C9.Mang0359
Maynarde149
ViBE127
WinterStarcraft79
Trikslyr68
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV196
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 44
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki10
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Day9tv544
Upcoming Events
OSC
21h 23m
Big Brain Bouts
1d 8h
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
1d 15h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 17h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
Patches Events
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.