• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:44
CEST 05:44
KST 12:44
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)64Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Sagi.gg Launcher Released an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot Bot on ladder Data analysis on 8 million games
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8294 users

Rating Diablo 3 - Page 7

Forum Index > Diablo 3
Post a Reply
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 9 15 Next All
holdthephone
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States523 Posts
April 22 2012 01:34 GMT
#121
If there's truly no skill/stat customization then it's a pretty awful Diablo game, but it can still be a great different type of game. Beta simply wasn't enough to tell at this point.
CaptainKirk
Profile Joined February 2011
Canada34 Posts
April 22 2012 01:37 GMT
#122
Okay so as someone who was totally addicted to diablo 2 for many years, I must say that diablo 3 does not look as spectacular as diablo 2 when it first came out - that being said, I think diablo 3 is not worthy of a 5/5 - and I give it a 4/5 at most.
holdthephone
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States523 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-22 01:41:39
April 22 2012 01:41 GMT
#123
Neither game was impressive looking for its time. Good color scheme and death animations are what make Diablo games work.
NotSorry
Profile Blog Joined October 2002
United States6722 Posts
April 22 2012 01:45 GMT
#124
On April 22 2012 10:41 holdthephone wrote:
Neither game was impressive looking for its time. Good color scheme and death animations are what make Diablo games work.

speak for yourself in 2000 D2 was very impressive looking
We have now sunk to a depth at which restatement of the obvious is the first duty of intelligent men. - Orwell
Telcontar
Profile Joined May 2010
United Kingdom16710 Posts
April 22 2012 01:45 GMT
#125
Just finished the beta with a wizard. Mixed reactions. The plot seems pretty uninspired and recycled from what I've seen so far. Hopefully it gets better as the game goes on. The gameplay is decent, but I don't really like the skill tree. It's just so linear. The only choice I had to make in getting to level 10 was which passive skill I wanted out of 2 options. THAT'S IT. The crafting thing at the blacksmith looks interesting, but felt too simple. You salvage magic items to get ingredients and use them to craft from a list, and that list is expanded by training with money. That's it right? The combat itself was pretty good. And I liked the little conversations with my companion on the field. That was a nice touch.

I'm still on the fence about whether I should get it or not. Not really convinced it's going to deliver what I want from D2's successor. I'll probably wait a few months and see how things turn out.
Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta.
HigoSeco
Profile Joined December 2010
Chile232 Posts
April 22 2012 02:02 GMT
#126
when they first anounced the game they teased us with this wonderful customizable rune system, each rune would add a unique effect to the spell and you could upgrade the runes. Today I finally played the beta and to my dissapointment the system was replaced with a bland lvl up system with no upgrades and you can't even get some runes until you hit lvl 5x, so it's bassically the same as lvling the skill but with a different name. I really don't know why blizzard announced the game so early and promised so many things that didnt make it to the final version, the game still looks great but it's not what it could've been and certainly not what i expected.
rezoacken
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada2719 Posts
April 22 2012 02:07 GMT
#127
On April 22 2012 10:45 NotSorry wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 22 2012 10:41 holdthephone wrote:
Neither game was impressive looking for its time. Good color scheme and death animations are what make Diablo games work.

speak for yourself in 2000 D2 was very impressive looking


hmmm I may disagree on that, I remember having a meh feeling back in 2000 in regards to its graphics.
The ambiance was fine but the quality wasn't impressive, LoD made it better giving 800x600 and A5 having better models/areas though.
If you dig up reviews at the time they may agree. Im a bit lazy to find english reviews of the past with a note for graphics, the only thing Ive found is from a french website (being french myself). It states graphics are the weakness to the game, especially the fact it is in 640x480.
Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.
holdthephone
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States523 Posts
April 22 2012 02:11 GMT
#128
Oh so they took out Runes as random drops completely? I thought that would have been more exciting.
rezoacken
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada2719 Posts
April 22 2012 02:14 GMT
#129
On April 22 2012 11:11 holdthephone wrote:
Oh so they took out Runes as random drops completely? I thought that would have been more exciting.


Yeah, I have meh feelings on that. In fact I dont care for runes as drops but I'd like a system where instead of giving me a set rune I can chose which to unlock first. Ending with all unlocked at 60 but choosing how.
Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.
CajunMan
Profile Joined July 2010
United States823 Posts
April 22 2012 02:16 GMT
#130
This game right now after 2 play through has me really disappointed. You are forced to use 20 different abilities with no way to power them up as you see fit. So no ice mage no fire mage sure later you can add runes but you also no 30 useless abilities you do not want and really how far do runes get you? Then there's the matter of no auto attack which means it cuts out builds like melee wizards which means even less customization sure there might be 1 or 2 weapons but nothing like D2. Also Idk if this is just cuz its beta but why is my mana basically unlimited? Right now I just feel like I'm playing Dynasty Warriors 69 with magic. This is really pissing me off because the game requires no thought processes it has become even more so a hack and slash and you can't even rotate through your 20 different powers with out stopping and bringing up your screen and waiting 20 seconds. At this point I am so disappointed I am really questioning buying a game that 2 weeks ago I was slathering at the mouth for. The game seems boring and like they smashed WOW and Dynasty Warriors together and said yea that'll do. I will now probably only be getting this for the story after the hundreds of hours spent on D2.

Fuck you Blizzard for killing my childhood dreams of D3.
Brotatoes23
Profile Joined September 2011
United States67 Posts
April 22 2012 02:19 GMT
#131
I loved diablo 1 and 2 and LoD... I was excited... But it's definitely going to be a let down.
Humans - Knee deep in a river, still searching for water.
radscorpion9
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Canada2252 Posts
April 22 2012 02:30 GMT
#132
I never considered how the hardcore gamers might take the change to the skills, but I guess they're right in that it does make it harder to identify with your character when every character gains the same skills and can combine them in the same ways (especially for pvp).

But at the same time I'm pretty sure there was a reset stats/skills option in Diablo 2 with the latest patches (in the rogue camp with Akara), and I remember feeling thankful that that existed. So in case you ever made a mistake, you could edit that - and if you wanted to try out a new sorceress build, like trying to find out whether frozen orb was better than blizzard, you could just edit that.

I feel like that's basically the same thing they're going for here, except its just extended in that you can always change it, if you want to, but at the same time if there is a particular branch of magic that you particularly enjoy using, you can stick to that branch while others favour their particular branches.

In the end, I think the only meaningful difference is that the skill tree isn't as detailed as it was in Diablo 2 - where every point gave you the ability to fine tune individual skills, enhancing the variability of characters. That is something that I feel should be added. But playing the beta for the first time, I found it to be (at first) kind of simplistic and not really amazing. But gradually it became more and more fun as the player leveled up their skills and abilities - such as learning the explosive bolts rune for the primary lightning attack. All of a sudden it felt similar to how awesome chain lightning is, or blizzard (but of course not at the same level, because those spells were much higher level).

Anyways the game is definitely fun. I think there'll be enough variability and good storyline to keep me interested - I liked all of the diaries, and loved the addition of being able to talk to your companion and level them up as well. The artisan is also very interesting, in addition to the auction house system.
Teeky
Profile Joined October 2010
United States84 Posts
April 22 2012 03:01 GMT
#133
On April 22 2012 11:16 CajunMan wrote:
This game right now after 2 play through has me really disappointed. You are forced to use 20 different abilities with no way to power them up as you see fit. So no ice mage no fire mage sure later you can add runes but you also no 30 useless abilities you do not want and really how far do runes get you? Then there's the matter of no auto attack which means it cuts out builds like melee wizards which means even less customization sure there might be 1 or 2 weapons but nothing like D2. Also Idk if this is just cuz its beta but why is my mana basically unlimited? Right now I just feel like I'm playing Dynasty Warriors 69 with magic. This is really pissing me off because the game requires no thought processes it has become even more so a hack and slash and you can't even rotate through your 20 different powers with out stopping and bringing up your screen and waiting 20 seconds. At this point I am so disappointed I am really questioning buying a game that 2 weeks ago I was slathering at the mouth for. The game seems boring and like they smashed WOW and Dynasty Warriors together and said yea that'll do. I will now probably only be getting this for the story after the hundreds of hours spent on D2.

Fuck you Blizzard for killing my childhood dreams of D3.

I want to disagree with any part of this, but I can't. No successful excuse can justify not re-implementing these features.

Aside, I think the game is quite aesthetically pretty and atmospheric, all the more reason the lack of customization options is a wasted opportunity. You described the almost unanimous #1 complaint among critics, and nothing was done about it. Diablo 2 was a fantastic game of builds. Why wouldn't they do everything to still cater to that individuality?
Hydras are so bad your opponent wants them to stay alive. - Idra, 2011
holdthephone
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States523 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-22 03:17:53
April 22 2012 03:17 GMT
#134
Yeah if there's one thing I'm sure about, it's that Blizzard did a fantastic job on the visuals. Just hope there are cooler enemies to lay waste to in the full game. Nothing was more satisfying than seeing the minotaur creatures in D2 act 1 choke on their own blood as they fell to the floor. There wasn't anything quite near that in the beta.
Alpino
Profile Joined June 2011
Brazil4390 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-22 03:36:57
April 22 2012 03:35 GMT
#135
On April 22 2012 12:17 holdthephone wrote:
Yeah if there's one thing I'm sure about, it's that Blizzard did a fantastic job on the visuals. Just hope there are cooler enemies to lay waste to in the full game. Nothing was more satisfying than seeing the minotaur creatures in D2 act 1 choke on their own blood as they fell to the floor. There wasn't anything quite near that in the beta.


I really like the maggot explosion, and the fact that the explosion kill enemies as well. If there is one little detail I like in D3 is when I kill a lot of enemes in one blow with the DH, he says some exciting stuff, it gets me in the atmosphere of the game.

And yeah the game would be much better if we could choose what rune to level, I don't get why they'd make us have only one way to level up our char. Still I'm very excited to play the whole thing.
20/11/2015 - never forget EE's Ember
Spicy_Curry
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States10573 Posts
April 22 2012 03:44 GMT
#136
I played the beta, was disappointed. Game feels like a dumbed down version of d2.I feel like blizzard went dragon age 2 on this game.
High Risk Low Reward
Belha
Profile Joined December 2010
Italy2850 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-22 03:48:09
April 22 2012 03:47 GMT
#137
3 Stars

The beta only is not enough to know if the game will worth 5 stars, i mean the beta have about 0.05 tough parts, zero mayor epic battles/waves and the UI have a LOT to improve that will not be changed at the release, so will see.
Chicken gank op
Belha
Profile Joined December 2010
Italy2850 Posts
April 22 2012 03:52 GMT
#138
On April 22 2012 11:16 CajunMan wrote:
This game right now after 2 play through has me really disappointed. You are forced to use 20 different abilities with no way to power them up as you see fit. So no ice mage no fire mage sure later you can add runes but you also no 30 useless abilities you do not want and really how far do runes get you? Then there's the matter of no auto attack which means it cuts out builds like melee wizards which means even less customization sure there might be 1 or 2 weapons but nothing like D2. Also Idk if this is just cuz its beta but why is my mana basically unlimited? Right now I just feel like I'm playing Dynasty Warriors 69 with magic. This is really pissing me off because the game requires no thought processes it has become even more so a hack and slash and you can't even rotate through your 20 different powers with out stopping and bringing up your screen and waiting 20 seconds. At this point I am so disappointed I am really questioning buying a game that 2 weeks ago I was slathering at the mouth for. The game seems boring and like they smashed WOW and Dynasty Warriors together and said yea that'll do. I will now probably only be getting this for the story after the hundreds of hours spent on D2.

Fuck you Blizzard for killing my childhood dreams of D3.


Agree so much on the totally diminished customization potential (hell, every d2 character have like 5 builds), plus thought process close to zero (WHY NO POWER ROTATION, OMFG), and wtf, why we have unlimited mana?!!
Chicken gank op
Medzo
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States627 Posts
April 22 2012 03:54 GMT
#139
On April 22 2012 12:52 Belha wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 22 2012 11:16 CajunMan wrote:
This game right now after 2 play through has me really disappointed. You are forced to use 20 different abilities with no way to power them up as you see fit. So no ice mage no fire mage sure later you can add runes but you also no 30 useless abilities you do not want and really how far do runes get you? Then there's the matter of no auto attack which means it cuts out builds like melee wizards which means even less customization sure there might be 1 or 2 weapons but nothing like D2. Also Idk if this is just cuz its beta but why is my mana basically unlimited? Right now I just feel like I'm playing Dynasty Warriors 69 with magic. This is really pissing me off because the game requires no thought processes it has become even more so a hack and slash and you can't even rotate through your 20 different powers with out stopping and bringing up your screen and waiting 20 seconds. At this point I am so disappointed I am really questioning buying a game that 2 weeks ago I was slathering at the mouth for. The game seems boring and like they smashed WOW and Dynasty Warriors together and said yea that'll do. I will now probably only be getting this for the story after the hundreds of hours spent on D2.

Fuck you Blizzard for killing my childhood dreams of D3.


Agree so much on the totally diminished customization potential (hell, every d2 character have like 5 builds), plus thought process close to zero (WHY NO POWER ROTATION, OMFG), and wtf, why we have unlimited mana?!!


Because its the start of the game? If youre new to Action RPGs or computer games in general then its better to be eased into things. Thought processes are like how do I move around? What are items? What is mana? Etc.
SnipedSoul
Profile Joined November 2010
Canada2158 Posts
April 22 2012 04:13 GMT
#140
On April 22 2012 12:52 Belha wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 22 2012 11:16 CajunMan wrote:
This game right now after 2 play through has me really disappointed. You are forced to use 20 different abilities with no way to power them up as you see fit. So no ice mage no fire mage sure later you can add runes but you also no 30 useless abilities you do not want and really how far do runes get you? Then there's the matter of no auto attack which means it cuts out builds like melee wizards which means even less customization sure there might be 1 or 2 weapons but nothing like D2. Also Idk if this is just cuz its beta but why is my mana basically unlimited? Right now I just feel like I'm playing Dynasty Warriors 69 with magic. This is really pissing me off because the game requires no thought processes it has become even more so a hack and slash and you can't even rotate through your 20 different powers with out stopping and bringing up your screen and waiting 20 seconds. At this point I am so disappointed I am really questioning buying a game that 2 weeks ago I was slathering at the mouth for. The game seems boring and like they smashed WOW and Dynasty Warriors together and said yea that'll do. I will now probably only be getting this for the story after the hundreds of hours spent on D2.

Fuck you Blizzard for killing my childhood dreams of D3.


Agree so much on the totally diminished customization potential (hell, every d2 character have like 5 builds), plus thought process close to zero (WHY NO POWER ROTATION, OMFG), and wtf, why we have unlimited mana?!!


Every time I play D2 without having nice gear right away I want to tear my hair out from having to use a mana potion every 5 seconds. Having nearly unlimited mana is good, imo. Diablo is about killing stuff, not standing around autoattacking while waiting for mana to regen.
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 9 15 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
The PiG Daily
08:00
Best Games of SC
BASILISK vs T1
Maru vs Clem
Serral vs herO
Clem vs SHIN
PiGStarcraft507
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
07:00
Masters Cup #151: Group B
davetesta86
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
WinterStarcraft539
PiGStarcraft507
RuFF_SC2 196
SpeCial 81
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 1027
Hyuk 54
Leta 43
Bale 30
Noble 20
Icarus 10
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm198
Counter-Strike
taco 585
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox743
C9.Mang0292
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor638
Other Games
summit1g9623
Coldzera 818
JimRising 535
Sick109
ViBE63
ArmadaUGS36
Liquid`Ken4
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick748
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream93
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 105
• Letter148
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo810
• Stunt304
Upcoming Events
CranKy Ducklings
6h 16m
Online Event
7h 16m
FEL
12h 16m
AI Arena Tournament
13h 16m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
15h 16m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 6h
INu's Battles
1d 8h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 15h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 15h
Replay Cast
1d 20h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.