• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:21
CEST 02:21
KST 09:21
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach0[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon101Weekly Cups (Aug 30-Sep 7): herO thrives amid growing schism10
StarCraft 2
General
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) Blizzard Classic Cup @ BlizzCon 2026 - $100k prize pool The Death of Cheese: From a Professional Cheeser
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach StarCraft Human 'N' AI League
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1 [IPSL] IPSL is Back With Winter 26-27!
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 11105 users

[Q] Mechanical Keyboard Recommendation - Page 51

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 49 50 51 52 53 54 Next
Glockateer
Profile Joined June 2009
United States254 Posts
August 25 2011 18:26 GMT
#1001
On August 25 2011 06:39 supdubdup wrote:
Anyone here have problems double tapping on their Blue switches? (a myth?)

Actually, despite the people who answered you, it isn't a myth. There are instances which blue switches will fail to register because the release point is above the actuation point. I've ran into this and the only "fix" is fully releasing your key. So, in a way, you just have to learn to double tap differently which doesn't require you to hover your key partially. It isn't a major deal, though.
GET SM4SHED
Zurachi
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Canada289 Posts
August 25 2011 19:25 GMT
#1002
On August 26 2011 03:26 Glockateer wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 25 2011 06:39 supdubdup wrote:
Anyone here have problems double tapping on their Blue switches? (a myth?)

Actually, despite the people who answered you, it isn't a myth. There are instances which blue switches will fail to register because the release point is above the actuation point. I've ran into this and the only "fix" is fully releasing your key. So, in a way, you just have to learn to double tap differently which doesn't require you to hover your key partially. It isn't a major deal, though.


I'm sorry, but it IS a complete myth. Everything about this 'double tapping issue' is nothing but an overreaction. Not even once have I even thought about that while both gaming and typing.

Obviously it will take from a few days to a week to get used to the feel of typing on a keyboard with cherry blues, since it's so different. BUT, if people are still having issues, then they should spend less time reading up about expensive mechanical keyboards, and start working on their typing form.
@ZurachiTV | www.youtube.com/ZurachiTV | "Satisfaction is the beginning of regression."
DarQraven
Profile Joined January 2010
Netherlands553 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-25 19:43:53
August 25 2011 19:42 GMT
#1003
On August 26 2011 02:52 how2TL wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 24 2011 08:39 DarQraven wrote:
Same here, got a Ninja with browns.
I love the board. It's a hefty investment but the added comfort is definitely worth it. I now know what people meant when they said they can't use regular membrane keyboards anymore. Obviously I can, but it just feels horrible and sluggish.

To dispel some myths though:

- These boards will probably not make you type faster. At all. I notice I'm using less effort to type now, and it feels great, but my WPM still sits around the 90-100 mark and hasn't increased over 2 months of using this board. Maybe if I finally learn proper 10 finger typing instead of the "8-finger" I do now...

- These boards are not that loud. Obviously I'm using brown switches which are supposed to be the silent version, but I've heard people state that even these switches are pretty loud. This is just not true. Banging on my old G15 v2 makes more noise than typing on this one. The mechanical just makes a sort of higher-pitched sound as opposed to the low thuds of membrane keys.

- The bump in the brown switches is definitely there, but it's pretty subtle. If you just start typing on it you probably wouldn't even notice until you slowed down. I've found that physical factors like key location or typing speed have a greater effect on whether I bottom out or not. I can type very lightly, yes, but that's also quite hard to do at a high speed and you occasionally miss a letter here and there. At least I do.
If you're adamant about having clear feedback, get blues. If you just want a really, really solid keyboard with a great light feel and just enough feedback to be able to touch type, browns are perfect.

As for tenkeyless versions, I personally use my numpad quite a lot. Even the Filco with numpad isn't as wide as, say, a G15, so I find complaints of wide keyboards and uncomfortable mouse placement a bit exaggerated. Even now, I've got the keyboard tilted maybe 5-10 degrees left, a good 6 centimeters between the edge of the board to the edge of my mousepad, and then the mouse another 20-25 centimeters away from that edge in a centered position.
When I sit properly and rest my arms on the chair's armrests, my forearms are parallel. And I don't exactly have broad shoulders or anything.

I don't see why you would want to put the mouse and keyboard any closer together than that.


A G15 isn't near a normal-sized keyboard. It's not a myth; it's a totally legitimate opinion to want a tenkeyless.


A g15, at least the second version, is pretty much the same as any other gaming board out there. It's the macro keys on the side that add to the total width.

However, and here's the catch and why I mentioned the g15's width - Even using that board, I could sit properly and comfortably, forearms parallel, elbows at the right height, shoulders relaxed, etc.
Unless your board is like two Filco's wide, I can't ever see a smaller board offering a significant advantage in terms of comfort or useful extra space.

This coming from a person using low sensitivity (26cm/360 in Quake) and a 40x50cm mouse pad, so I'm using about the most mousing space anyone will ever need. In addition, I can easily put my Intuos A4 tablet next to even the G15 and draw comfortably while using hotkeys.
isleyofthenorth
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Austria894 Posts
August 25 2011 19:50 GMT
#1004
are browns better for double tapping than blues?(with release and actuation points) or are they identical exept for the clicking. ive heard some say its better
DJFaqU
Profile Joined May 2011
466 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-25 19:53:17
August 25 2011 19:51 GMT
#1005
On August 26 2011 03:26 Glockateer wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 25 2011 06:39 supdubdup wrote:
Anyone here have problems double tapping on their Blue switches? (a myth?)

Actually, despite the people who answered you, it isn't a myth. There are instances which blue switches will fail to register because the release point is above the actuation point. I've ran into this and the only "fix" is fully releasing your key. So, in a way, you just have to learn to double tap differently which doesn't require you to hover your key partially. It isn't a major deal, though.


I have no problem double tapping without completely releasing the key, staying just below the release point but also just above the actuation point, you just have to have a bit of feel for the switch and control of your fingers.
Since that is actually how the switches are set up, I have no idea what the issue is supposed to be. You don't HAVE TO fully release the key, people just DO for some reason and then call it an issue that everyone has and will have.
The only "issue" with it is that for the second button press you won't hear the click on the way down.
Purdy8
Profile Joined July 2011
United Kingdom181 Posts
August 25 2011 19:57 GMT
#1006
Which type of keys are the best to not suffer from having to double tap, are quite loud and generally a nice feel to them?

Was thinking of the Das Ultimate.
DPK
Profile Joined May 2011
Canada487 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-25 20:24:30
August 25 2011 20:01 GMT
#1007
Hi everyone! I came here for some advice on mech keyboards. I'm pretty new to it but I did read the guide about the different switch type and I've finally came to the conclusion that the browns switch would be what I'm looking for. Now my problem is I'm really not sure witch keyboard I should get. (I did alot of research but im clueless about certain things)

I can't decide between two of them. 1st is the Leopold tenkeyless from elitekeyboard and the 2nd one is the Noppoo Choc Pro fullsize from ebay. The Leopold seems to be a better choice but I don't know, the Noppoo seems pretty good too and would cost me little less than the Leopold. I'm in Canada and the Leopold would cost me 140$ while the Noppoo 122$ both shipping included.

After reading a review from geekhack.org, I've got some concerns about the Noppoo. I've saw some images of both keyboard and is it just me or the alt/win/ctrl keys seems to be smaller on the Noppoo than the Leopold? I'm playing sc2 and some FPS game, the ctrl key is so important and i don't want it to be smaller than other mech boards. I'm a little worried about being able to buy some custom/replacement keycaps for it. If some keys are smaller than other mech boards, i guess this might be a problem, tho it's not a pretty big deal if I can't get new keycaps, I can live without it. Someone mention that POM keycaps are better than ABS so that a plus for the Noppoo but is it possible to buy POM keycaps somewhere or I would have to buy ABS keycaps if I ever want some custom/replacement ones? Another thing is the special feature of the Noppoo, the USB NKRO, anyone have ever tried it? I'm a little skeptical about this one but I could be wrong. Finally, its about the stabilizers for the bigger keys. I know that the Leopold use Cherry-Corp stabilizers but I'm not sure about the Noppoo. I think its some wire-based stabilizers and I would like to know if the Cherry-Corp stabilizers really makes a difference from the wire-based one? Is it worth to put more money to have them? I know I don't talk much about the Leopold but after all the reviews I've read I know the keyboard is perfect for what I need, its just that if I can pay less for a similar quality fullsize keyboard, I will. I love my numpad hehe.

I'm a little bit worried about buying on ebay since the guy doesn't seem to sell much on it but he gives some link to geekhack.org in the description so I guess he might be legit. Anyone ever bought something from him or have any taught about it? Any other suggestion of MXbrown keyboard for around the same price would be appreciate if there's any lol.

Thx guys! (srry for my bad english, I'm doing my best lol)
Desire.Discipline.Dedication
DarQraven
Profile Joined January 2010
Netherlands553 Posts
August 25 2011 20:50 GMT
#1008
I'm not sure how much of a problem the keycaps really are. Yes, pad printed ABS keycaps tend to wear a bit quicker, but we're still talking about a period of 2-3 years of heavy use before that happens.
I've used much worse keyboards than any mechanical you can find that still weren't worn after that period and used the cheapest type of keys possible. I guess how much you 'slide' your fingers while typing and how sweaty/acidic your skin is matters a lot as well.

Your average grade of POM is roughly three times harder than ABS - this doesn't translate directly to a a lifecycle three times as long, but take it as an indication. Your mileage may vary.

My point being, in short: just because there are better keys out there does't mean that the normal ABS ones are necessarily bad. They are still good quality and will last a long time unless you type in a weird way or type an excessive amount. You can probably also have custom titanium/tungsten keys made that will outlive you, but will it even matter?
DJFaqU
Profile Joined May 2011
466 Posts
August 25 2011 20:54 GMT
#1009
On August 26 2011 04:57 Purdy8 wrote:
Which type of keys are the best to not suffer from having to double tap, are quite loud and generally a nice feel to them?

Was thinking of the Das Ultimate.


I don't think you even know what double tapping is. And blues are fine.
DarQraven
Profile Joined January 2010
Netherlands553 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-25 20:57:45
August 25 2011 20:57 GMT
#1010
On August 26 2011 05:54 DJFaqU wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 26 2011 04:57 Purdy8 wrote:
Which type of keys are the best to not suffer from having to double tap, are quite loud and generally a nice feel to them?

Was thinking of the Das Ultimate.


I don't think you even know what double tapping is. And blues are fine.


Derpreply. Blues are functionally fine, but the click goes away after the first press unless you let the key go a bit further up than you need to.

Not really a problem unless you're bashing one key at 1000+ APM with ten fingers.
PoopLord
Profile Joined May 2010
537 Posts
August 25 2011 20:58 GMT
#1011
Can somebody explain to me how reds and blues feel? I'm using browns at the moment.

Also, do reds wear out?
Purdy8
Profile Joined July 2011
United Kingdom181 Posts
August 25 2011 21:07 GMT
#1012
On August 26 2011 05:54 DJFaqU wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 26 2011 04:57 Purdy8 wrote:
Which type of keys are the best to not suffer from having to double tap, are quite loud and generally a nice feel to them?

Was thinking of the Das Ultimate.


I don't think you even know what double tapping is. And blues are fine.



Yeah, not going to lie, i don't really have a clue but i'm not really interested in encountering any problems when i'm paying a lot for a board, and considering it is probably going to be a Das ultimate it'll be a lot in the UK. Could anyone link me to a simple insight on the different types of keys or give me their opinions please.
DarQraven
Profile Joined January 2010
Netherlands553 Posts
August 25 2011 21:13 GMT
#1013
http://www.overclock.net/keyboards/491752-mechanical-keyboard-guide.html

On the first page, 6th post or so. At least put a little effort into this...
Purdy8
Profile Joined July 2011
United Kingdom181 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-25 23:03:08
August 25 2011 21:25 GMT
#1014
On August 26 2011 06:13 DarQraven wrote:
http://www.overclock.net/keyboards/491752-mechanical-keyboard-guide.html

On the first page, 6th post or so. At least put a little effort into this...


I have actually, im trying to source where to buy either a Das or a Filco from in the UK and now to decide between brown and blue switches, thanks a lot for that link btw, it helped a lot.

Think i'll read a bit about the blues as i'm quite keen on the Das and thinking about it i do tend to fully release my key on double tapping and i'm sure it is something i could get used to.


EDIT: Decided on the DAS Ultimate, now to try and source a UK one should be interesting.
Glockateer
Profile Joined June 2009
United States254 Posts
August 25 2011 23:46 GMT
#1015
On August 26 2011 04:25 Zurachi wrote:
I'm sorry, but it IS a complete myth. Everything about this 'double tapping issue' is nothing but an overreaction. Not even once have I even thought about that while both gaming and typing.

Obviously it will take from a few days to a week to get used to the feel of typing on a keyboard with cherry blues, since it's so different. BUT, if people are still having issues, then they should spend less time reading up about expensive mechanical keyboards, and start working on their typing form.

I don't understand why you get so defensive over it. It isn't a myth and I also said "it isn't a big deal." A certain amount of people will have to adjust a bit if they try to ride the actuation point.
GET SM4SHED
Purdy8
Profile Joined July 2011
United Kingdom181 Posts
August 26 2011 00:20 GMT
#1016
http://www.getdigital.de/products/Das_Keyboard_Model_S/lng/en

Does anyone know if the EU model will basically be the same as a UK keyboard? I've looked around and no where seems to answer so i'm assuming they're the same, want to order this asap.
Purdy8
Profile Joined July 2011
United Kingdom181 Posts
August 26 2011 13:16 GMT
#1017
If anyone has a DAS ultimate EU or US could they please test setting the keyboard language to UK and see if the DAS input changes, i.e. you can get a £ symbol from shift 3 opposed to @ or whatever it is. Works for my g19 but not sure if it is the same for all keyboards.

DJFaqU
Profile Joined May 2011
466 Posts
August 26 2011 13:50 GMT
#1018
On August 26 2011 22:16 Purdy8 wrote:
If anyone has a DAS ultimate EU or US could they please test setting the keyboard language to UK and see if the DAS input changes, i.e. you can get a £ symbol from shift 3 opposed to @ or whatever it is. Works for my g19 but not sure if it is the same for all keyboards.



Yes, EU layout works for all EU layouts (duhh ).
Purdy8
Profile Joined July 2011
United Kingdom181 Posts
August 26 2011 14:29 GMT
#1019
On August 26 2011 22:50 DJFaqU wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 26 2011 22:16 Purdy8 wrote:
If anyone has a DAS ultimate EU or US could they please test setting the keyboard language to UK and see if the DAS input changes, i.e. you can get a £ symbol from shift 3 opposed to @ or whatever it is. Works for my g19 but not sure if it is the same for all keyboards.



Yes, EU layout works for all EU layouts (duhh ).



It says 105 german keys on the site or something similar.
Sorry if I come across retardedand asking to many questions inthe thread but it is a lot of Money :p
Don't suppose you tested it?
Namu
Profile Joined February 2011
United States826 Posts
August 28 2011 17:35 GMT
#1020
Hey guys, I'm trying to decided between xarmor and leopold, brown switches. Anyone have experience with either of them? This will be my first mechanical keyboard, and I'm leaning a bit more towards Leopold, but seems like a lot of korean progamers use xarmor as well..
Prev 1 49 50 51 52 53 54 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
00:00
2026 GSTL: Grand Finals
CranKy Ducklings39
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
23:00
OSC Masters Cup #151 Qualifier
davetesta32
Liquipedia
BSL Open Qualifier
19:00
Jungsu & Hasu #1
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 141
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 10978
Artosis 778
White-Ra 131
Dota 2
monkeys_forever788
League of Legends
Doublelift6441
JimRising 626
Counter-Strike
fl0m17931
minikerr1
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox859
AZ_Axe174
Other Games
summit1g8484
KnowMe258
Maynarde191
ArmadaUGS115
Mew2King36
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1050
BasetradeTV182
StarCraft: Brood War
Kim Chul Min (afreeca) 10
lovetv 8
[ Show 9 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 68
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
9h 39m
Soma vs Jaedong
WardiTV Weekly
10h 39m
Monday Night Weeklies
15h 39m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 9h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 9h
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 23h
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
FEL
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.