• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:22
CEST 21:22
KST 04:22
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War565.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
$3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? TL Sidebar missing streams Rollback Netcode in Brood War BW General Discussion Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10040 users

"Rape" and Game Culture - Page 4

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 31 32 33 Next All
sikyon
Profile Joined June 2010
Canada1045 Posts
August 13 2010 19:24 GMT
#61
On August 14 2010 04:11 SpicyCrab wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 14 2010 04:04 sikyon wrote:
IIRC western countries are democracies with laws regarding free speech.

If you don't like people saying the word rape that's your perogative and I respect that, but frankly everyone has a different opinion on everything (from swear words, racial slurs, and acts of violence). To attempt to impose your own viewpoint on a large community seems arrogant.


Free speech has nothing to do with my point whatsoever. Free speech refers to governments restricting your right to speak in a certain way. I am certainly not advocating that.

I am not asking the moderation staff to 'crack down'', and I am not asking you to be banned for your words. I am pointing out to people why they shouldn't use a certain word and I am hoping that TL is smart enough to understand why I am right (and yes, I am 100% right.)

I am asking people to be more mindful of the words they are using, that is all.

(Also note that free speech has no bearing on TL whatsoever; it is a private organization and can moderate as it sees fit although I do not expect them to moderate according to my beliefs.)

Edit: Also note, saying that "owned" is analagous to "slavery" is a stretch to say the least, saying "rape" is analagous to... "rape" is probably less of a stretch, no?



Yes actually free speech does. I can go around calling black people racial slurs and proclaiming white supremacy with protection under free speech if I wanted too (which would be weird since I'm asian). Of course such statements would be hurtful but they fall under the umbrella of my own opinions, as long as I am not attempting to incite violence.

Your post is directed towards "all of gaming" so you are not just addressing TL.

By saing you are 100% you are simply proving my point about you being arrogant.

And rape has many definitions. Raping the countryside doesn't mean I am going to go over to the nearest golpher hole and give'er.

The simple fact is that you are not right. Everybody percieves different words in different ways, and our opinions are protected. I feel sorry for your friend that she was raped, but frankly that doesn't preclude me from using the word rape or ever offending her ever again in that contect. Sure if I did it to her I might be a jerk, and if I did it intentionally I would definatly be a jerk, but not only is being a jerk a protected right but restricting my speech based on her experiences is a rediculous, overbroad premise.
hacpee
Profile Joined November 2007
United States752 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-13 19:26:00
August 13 2010 19:25 GMT
#62
I can use whatever word I want. The last thing I want is politically correct feminists telling me what to do. So what, your feelings got hurt. Grow up, your feelings are going to get hurt many more times in life. Live with it.
Dugrok
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada377 Posts
August 13 2010 19:25 GMT
#63
A great post which I think a lot of people should take a few minutes to reflect on.
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-13 19:29:03
August 13 2010 19:26 GMT
#64
On August 14 2010 04:22 choboPEon wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 14 2010 04:21 travis wrote:
On August 14 2010 04:17 choboPEon wrote:
This is nothing like the word niggardly being called racist because thats fucking stupid but associating the word rape with sexual assault is so completely understandable that it boggles the mind that someone would deny it.


how is that at all understandable when you're watching a sc2 cast

you have to purposely LACK understanding to not get that the word is being used differently


Because niggardly means something completely different from nigger

but rape means rape


and rape has more than one meaning...
that's the entire point of what we are talking about


talismania
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States2364 Posts
August 13 2010 19:26 GMT
#65
1. You don't mean actual physical rape, actually questioning someone's sexuality when you call them "gay" or "faggot", actually calling someone mentally deficient when you say "retarded". This is true.

However,

2. Consider just, I don't know, being polite? There's an attitude expressed here by some that it is incumbent on the listener, or reader, to get over their own feelings and just accept that the speaker intends something different. I fundamentally disagree. It's easy to avoid using those words and does no harm to the speaker/writer to not use them.
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44372 Posts
August 13 2010 19:27 GMT
#66
On August 14 2010 04:22 choboPEon wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 14 2010 04:21 travis wrote:
On August 14 2010 04:17 choboPEon wrote:
This is nothing like the word niggardly being called racist because thats fucking stupid but associating the word rape with sexual assault is so completely understandable that it boggles the mind that someone would deny it.


how is that at all understandable when you're watching a sc2 cast

you have to purposely LACK understanding to not get that the word is being used differently


Because niggardly means something completely different from nigger

but rape means rape

Unfortunately rape does not simply mean rape.
–verb (used with object)
6.
to force to have sexual intercourse.
7.
to plunder (a place); despoil.
8.
to seize, take, or carry off by force.

When you rape someones base then the logical application of the verb would be definition 7, to plunder or despoil. Choosing to misinterpret it with definition 6, despite it being clearly absurd when applied to a collection of buildings, is just bad english.
Words in english have multiple meanings in different contexts.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
Emon_
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
3925 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-13 19:30:03
August 13 2010 19:27 GMT
#67
On August 14 2010 04:15 KwarK wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 14 2010 04:12 Emon_ wrote:
On August 14 2010 04:04 sikyon wrote:
IIRC western countries are democracies with laws regarding free speech.

If you don't like people saying the word rape that's your perogative and I respect that, but frankly everyone has a different opinion on everything (from swear words, racial slurs, and acts of violence). To attempt to impose your own viewpoint on a large community seems arrogant.

Free speech is great for having an argument and making a point, like OP is doing. Think about what you're gonna say for 2 days and make a topic - brilliant. More of this is welcome. But using a term that has such a negative meaning, and defending it with free speech isn't the same thing. It's mean and immature. People are being hurt by the usage of the term, and it sends very negative signals about the community. Though we can't change it everywhere, we can at least make an effort here on TL.

Someone somewhere is hurt by just about everything. At some point you have to draw the line and say that no offense was intended and that they need to get over their own issues. As was pointed out earlier, owning someone could be conceivably misconstrued as a mocking reference to slavery.

I think at a certain level a person knows when something he says is going to offend someone else. I understand if the intent isn't to hurt, but to a traumatized person it still makes a difference if it's used or not. And since we can make a choice with our vocabulary, we should try and steer clear of being unnecessarily hurtful towards others.
"I know that human beings and fish can coexist peacefully" -GWB ||
Chill
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
Calgary26004 Posts
August 13 2010 19:27 GMT
#68
On August 14 2010 04:25 hacpee wrote:
I can use whatever word I want. The last thing I want is politically correct feminists telling me what to do. So what, your feelings got hurt. Grow up, your feelings are going to get hurt many more times in life. Live with it.

I think the OP has an understanding, somewhat pleading tone. To respond with this aggressive bullshit is stupid.
Moderator
TwilightStar
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States649 Posts
August 13 2010 19:28 GMT
#69
On August 14 2010 04:01 KwarK wrote:
He's slaughtering those zealots could be offensive to victims of genocide.

Words have meanings. In gaming to rape does not mean to sexually assault the unit or player in question. If anyone was in any way unclear about that then I can see why they might be shocked until the matter was cleared up. But I cannot understand why a word, which at this point is simply a homonym, should be banned because a tiny minority of people associate it with something other than the intended meaning.

In gaming culture rape is not an offensive word. I don't use it but this is almost as bad as people who claim the word niggardly is racist because it sounds kinda like nigger.


I completely agree with this post... People use other words that are offensive too... I personally see murder being worse than rape.. so why don't people get mad at the use of the word slaughter, or murdered ?
(5)Twilight Star.scx --------- AdmiralHoth: There was one week when I didn't shave for a month.
Chancho
Profile Joined July 2007
United States50 Posts
August 13 2010 19:28 GMT
#70
Bro, what about owned? You never addressed what we should use because people, formerly victims of slavery, might feel. What about people who have been in a war zone, and actually have killed people or been shot at? Why should we continue to simulate MURDER?

This thread is dumb. Your girl friend has been traumatized and clearly has emotional issues. Of COURSE the word RAPE is going to make her freak out a bit. THAT DOESN'T MEAN WE ARE BAD.

You suggested we should be more intellectual or whatever about our word choice, why don't you learn about the other meanings for the word rape?
http://www.infowars.com http://www.prisonplanet.com It ain't Disneyland out there, it's Fuck You land.
chobopeon
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
United States7342 Posts
August 13 2010 19:28 GMT
#71
On August 14 2010 04:26 travis wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 14 2010 04:22 choboPEon wrote:
On August 14 2010 04:21 travis wrote:
On August 14 2010 04:17 choboPEon wrote:
This is nothing like the word niggardly being called racist because thats fucking stupid but associating the word rape with sexual assault is so completely understandable that it boggles the mind that someone would deny it.


how is that at all understandable when you're watching a sc2 cast

you have to purposely LACK understanding to not get that the word is being used differently


Because niggardly means something completely different from nigger

but rape means rape


and rape has more than one meaning...
that's the entire point of what we are talking about


all of you who are saying that the gaming meaning of rape has no connection the sexual assault rape are intentionally deluding yourself so that you don't have to go through the massive inconvenience of altering your behavior slightly
:O
Jameser
Profile Joined July 2010
Sweden951 Posts
August 13 2010 19:28 GMT
#72
I'm glad my first language isn't english so these kinds of things can't creep into my vernacular
slimdagger
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States84 Posts
August 13 2010 19:29 GMT
#73
(a) On a larger scale -- it is almost impossible to shift the entire gaming culture out of offensiveness. If it's a PR issue -- (what is the image of TL to the general public), then it should only apply to the people who claim to officially represent TL.

(b) On a prescriptive level -- it is offensive to some that we are trying to restrict their vocabulary because public Bnet games are so anonymous we never know who we can offend.

(c) On a personal and interpersonal level that's where this matters. I think the strength of the OP's admonishment is to remember our friends around us. If my brother is gay and doesn't care if I say "faggot", then fine. But, if I know that he has a real problem with the word (not in a sensitive asshole way, but in a real, personal way), then this post is a reminder that, if I care for his perspective, then I should care for my words.

LoliKuma
Profile Joined June 2010
United States237 Posts
August 13 2010 19:29 GMT
#74
On August 14 2010 04:27 Chill wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 14 2010 04:25 hacpee wrote:
I can use whatever word I want. The last thing I want is politically correct feminists telling me what to do. So what, your feelings got hurt. Grow up, your feelings are going to get hurt many more times in life. Live with it.

I think the OP has an understanding, somewhat pleading tone. To respond with this aggressive bullshit is stupid.


Actually the OP's pleading tone turned into one of arrogance, I think it's right that people reply in kind. Anyway, gonna log on to bnet and rape some noobs
The End DOES Justifiy the Means
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-13 19:31:35
August 13 2010 19:29 GMT
#75
prepare to be offended:

+ Show Spoiler +

i don't really care much about shocking, scaring, or offending grown ups with my words. when you grow the fuck up, and are an adult, you should be able to confront things like words without curling up into a fetal position. if words bother you so much then you have a problem that needed to be pointed out to you anyways, and it's something you need to address. callous, maybe. but true.


this is generally my approach. like, in places like forums and when i can just be honest with people. of course there are times for politeness and respect(though generally i can take an approach somewhere inbetween). but when im playing a game, for example, i'd rather just be honest and straightforward - not pandering to other people's flaws.
sikyon
Profile Joined June 2010
Canada1045 Posts
August 13 2010 19:30 GMT
#76
On August 14 2010 04:27 Chill wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 14 2010 04:25 hacpee wrote:
I can use whatever word I want. The last thing I want is politically correct feminists telling me what to do. So what, your feelings got hurt. Grow up, your feelings are going to get hurt many more times in life. Live with it.

I think the OP has an understanding, somewhat pleading tone. To respond with this aggressive bullshit is stupid.


I am pointing out to people why they shouldn't use a certain word and I am hoping that TL is smart enough to understand why I am right (and yes, I am 100% right.)


OP seems abit full of himself, tbh.
Dance.
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States389 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-13 19:33:05
August 13 2010 19:31 GMT
#77
You don't call a retard, retard....it's bad taste. You call your friends retard when they are acting retarded.
It is what it is...
SolHeiM
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Sweden1264 Posts
August 13 2010 19:31 GMT
#78
People need to understand that CONTEXT is what matters, not the word itself.

The word "nigger" isn't offensive. It's the context that makes a word offensive or not offensive. Calling my black friend "mah niggah" isn't offensive to anyone, but people who don't know me may frown a little because I use the word "nigga" and that I am white. But if I were to shout "you fucking nigger piece of shit," people would go absolutely bat-shit crazy because in that context the word "nigger" is offensive.

The word "cock" has two different meanings, and you are not allowed to say the word "cock" on TV or on Radio if you are referring to the male sexual organ. However, when referring to a Rooster, the word "cock" is fine.

Saying that I raped some noob in a videogame isn't offensive, because it's the context that matters.
emperorchampion
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Canada9496 Posts
August 13 2010 19:32 GMT
#79
On August 14 2010 04:29 LoliKuma wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 14 2010 04:27 Chill wrote:
On August 14 2010 04:25 hacpee wrote:
I can use whatever word I want. The last thing I want is politically correct feminists telling me what to do. So what, your feelings got hurt. Grow up, your feelings are going to get hurt many more times in life. Live with it.

I think the OP has an understanding, somewhat pleading tone. To respond with this aggressive bullshit is stupid.


Actually the OP's pleading tone turned into one of arrogance, I think it's right that people reply in kind. Anyway, gonna log on to bnet and rape some noobs


How can a simple change in language that will make the whole community look more professional be met with such resistance?

I really wish that more people would act like they would irl online, seriously grow up.
TRUEESPORTS || your days as a respected member of team liquid are over
QuanticHawk
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
United States32159 Posts
August 13 2010 19:32 GMT
#80
On August 14 2010 04:23 SpicyCrab wrote:
Hawk; perhaps it is worth considering other peoples feelings even when it does not serve to benefit you in any way?



There's a limit to how much I care to walk on eggshells for people, especially ones that I do not know.

Cursing offends people. Cheesing offends newbies. People get offended over stupid shit. Where do you draw the line?? It's not like spamming NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER in a chat to intentionally upset someone.
PROFESSIONAL GAMER - SEND ME OFFERS TO JOIN YOUR TEAM - USA USA USA
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 31 32 33 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL: Ladder Tournament
04:00
#3 - $100
ZZZero.O44
LiquipediaDiscussion
AI Arena Tournament
02:00
Swiss - Round 5
Laughngamez YouTube
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Liquid`TLO 264
BRAT_OK 98
JuggernautJason90
StarCraft: Brood War
Leta 901
Shuttle 568
Zeus 93
ZZZero.O 44
soO 43
Hyun 42
ToSsGirL 32
scan(afreeca) 26
Sacsri 7
Dota 2
qojqva2151
canceldota32
Counter-Strike
fl0m4751
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby3742
Liquid`Hasu572
Other Games
FrodaN867
KnowMe426
420jenkins331
Livibee174
Pyrionflax161
ToD108
QueenE66
summit1g0
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick723
StarCraft 2
angryscii 39
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• printf 83
• 3DClanTV 52
• Adnapsc2 15
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Airneanach103
• 80smullet 16
• blackmanpl 2
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Counter-Strike
• C_a_k_e 2290
Other Games
• imaqtpie816
• Shiphtur610
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
14h 38m
Patches Events
19h 38m
BSL Open Qualifier
23h 38m
BSL Open Qualifier
23h 38m
OSC
1d 3h
OSC
1d 16h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.