• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 07:31
CEST 13:31
KST 20:31
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)39Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? ASL22 General Discussion Bot on ladder BW General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10285 users

Ultimate Computer Build Thread - Page 38

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 36 37 38 39 40 42 Next All
Gokey
Profile Joined November 2006
United States2722 Posts
July 18 2010 21:12 GMT
#741
On July 19 2010 06:00 R04R wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 19 2010 05:51 Gokey wrote:
Alright, about to pull the trigger and buy the following system:

$472 Budget Build

Any last second tips/comments/warnings are welcome. :3


Do you have an optical drive?

Yeah, I think I can scavenge one from computer from back at parent's house.

I'm pretty happy with the build, with 2 exceptions:

1. With the info given about the GPU max memory speed, should I buy the 4870 instead of the 5770? Will the lack of DirectX 11 support matter a lot in the next couple of years?

2. I didn't get a name brand Power Supply... A bit of a risk I know =\
CKairos
Profile Joined July 2009
United States5 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-18 22:49:31
July 18 2010 21:21 GMT
#742
On July 19 2010 06:04 R04R wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 19 2010 05:57 CKairos wrote:+ Show Spoiler +

Just ordered this off newegg last night after a few days of research:

SAPPHIRE VAPOR-X Radeon 5770
AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE
ROSEWILL CHALLENGER Mid Tower Case
Western Digital 500GB 7200 RPM HD
ASUS M4A77TD AM3 ATX Mobo
OCZ Fatal1ty OCZ550FTY 550W
G.SKILL Eco Series 4 GB (2x2) DDR3 1600
ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro 92mm
LITE-ON DVD/ CD Writer/ Reader
EDIMAX PCI Wireless Card

[image loading]

With the promotional savings that end tomorrow, I get 46 dollars off and then an additional 50 dollars off in eventual rebates, so the final cost is like $662.

I was going for a budget build in the 600s that would last me a while, will probably do overclocking eventually and get some more 120mm fans. Now I just have to wait for the parts and hope it works fine when I build (my first computer).


You could have saved ~$25 comboing your PSU with a 500gb Samsung Spinpoint F3. You also could have saved another $15-20 choosing a cheaper RAM. Overall it's good.


Damn I guess I should've checked all the items some more. I'll have to keep combo deals in mind for next time...

EDIT: Only lost 9 bucks in savings though, since the promos on my HD and PSU was like 26 dollars off total, so they totaled 108.98, while the combo costs 99.98 - not too bad.
1312020
Profile Joined March 2009
United States28 Posts
July 18 2010 21:43 GMT
#743
I've got another quick question. I was searching through Newegg deals and I found this motherboard. With the 200 dollar i7 930 from MicroCenter the total price for the mobo/CPU would be the same as the combo I found. So I'd like to know, which mobo is better?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?nm_mc=AFC-SlickDeals&cm_mmc=AFC-SlickDeals-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA&Item=N82E16813128423&Tpk=ud3r

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131359R

Thanks in advance.
nineninja9
Profile Joined March 2010
United States194 Posts
July 18 2010 21:45 GMT
#744
Be careful about open box components, especially if it's your first time building a computer. If something is wrong with it (which is obviously more likely with an open box), you might have trouble figuring out what the problem is. Also there's likely some cables missing, which again shouldn't matter if you've built one before and have spares laying around, but you might need to buy extra cables.
TanGeng
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Sanya12364 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-18 22:10:51
July 18 2010 22:00 GMT
#745
Wow, that Gigabyte one is 30 less than the one I got for pretty much the same feature set. The only downside is that by the reviews it received, it's slightly less reliable than the ASUS comparable. The links is here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131641

Your open box one doesn't have any of the SATA 6.0 (no available devices yet) or USB 3.0 (available devices?)

On July 19 2010 06:12 Gokey wrote:
Yeah, I think I can scavenge one from computer from back at parent's house.

I'm pretty happy with the build, with 2 exceptions:

1. With the info given about the GPU max memory speed, should I buy the 4870 instead of the 5770? Will the lack of DirectX 11 support matter a lot in the next couple of years?


About this. Software support is more important than possible performance. Without the software, the hardware does nothing. Better software support by ATI is part of what you are purchasing.

I haven't followed the gaming world enough to know about DX 11 adoption. It's probably going to be slow. That stuff is harder than it looks.

HD4870 (because of the packaging) is a power-hog. That might reduce the lifetime on your GPU, but you'll buy another before that happens.
Moderator我们是个踏实的赞助商模式俱乐部
1312020
Profile Joined March 2009
United States28 Posts
July 18 2010 22:05 GMT
#746
Ah, thanks. This is my first time building so I don't think I'll risk it, I'll see if I can pick up the combo at Fry's some time this week. I was thinking the ASUS wasn't as good as the Gigabyte (especially open box), but I wasn't sure.
semantics
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
10040 Posts
July 18 2010 22:36 GMT
#747
On July 19 2010 05:51 Gokey wrote:
Alright, about to pull the trigger and buy the following system:

$472 Budget Build

Any last second tips/comments/warnings are welcome. :3

Eh super cheap has some things i would never settle with like old style chokes on that mobo

also this is the psu inside of that case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817339001

But for that price eh can't complain too much although i wouldn't oc on that psu and mobo
Craton
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States17303 Posts
July 18 2010 23:19 GMT
#748
Is there any expectation of a price drop on i5's or i7's in the next few months? Few things I've come across says its unlikely.

twitch.tv/cratonz
mahnini
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
United States6862 Posts
July 18 2010 23:22 GMT
#749
On July 19 2010 08:19 Craton wrote:
Is there any expectation of a price drop on i5's or i7's in the next few months? Few things I've come across says its unlikely.


there was rumor about an i5-760 coming out but that's just a 750 with an increased multiplier and will end up replacing it. same price but more performance!
the world's a playground. you know that when you're a kid, but somewhere along the way everyone forgets it.
nineninja9
Profile Joined March 2010
United States194 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-18 23:41:36
July 18 2010 23:34 GMT
#750
i5-760

Factory overclocked for $15 more, not a particularly good deal. Maybe they're binned better. Even then, i7-930 is $200 some places.

Rumors say the i7-950 will replace the 930 at the $290 price point, but all I've come across is hearsay.

EDIT: Oh right i5-760 is using 32nm architecture, so they probably will be more efficient and overclock slightly better. Actually on second glance it might not really be using 32nm, I can't find another source confirming it other than newegg.

EDIT2: Actually the 760 is still 45nm, never mind. Newegg is either lying or misinformed. Basically the 750/760 is like the 920/930, same chip, higher multiplier.
Gokey
Profile Joined November 2006
United States2722 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-18 23:58:01
July 18 2010 23:57 GMT
#751
Update: I just bought

1. Power: OCZ Fatal1ty OCZ550FTY 550W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V SLI Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

2. GPU: HIS H577FK1GD Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

3. MSI 870A-G54 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

4. SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

5. Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Comes out to $360, with $30 in rebates to file (so ends up being $330 hopefully)

Am waiting out a bit for the RAM and CPU. If anyone has good deals on the RAM and CPU coming up, please let me know. Thanks!! :D
R04R
Profile Joined March 2009
United States1631 Posts
July 19 2010 00:38 GMT
#752
Err... what do you want for CPU? Prices are probably not going to fluctuate anytime soon at the $100 price point. And RAM you could possibly combo them to make them $70, but 80-90 is the cheapest around.
ô¿ô
Gokey
Profile Joined November 2006
United States2722 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-19 00:49:32
July 19 2010 00:47 GMT
#753
Looking for a combo on the CPU + RAM

Or a deal on the RAM... The $81 G.Skill one doesn't have the heatspreader, only reason I didn't get it =\

Also, kind of a dumb question, but Windows CDs auto-boots on a bare hard drive, right?
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
July 19 2010 00:48 GMT
#754
heatspreaders really aren't all that useful if you don't plan on pushing the ram.
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
nineninja9
Profile Joined March 2010
United States194 Posts
July 19 2010 00:49 GMT
#755
I doubt you're going to overclock to the point where heatspreaders are necessary for RAM. Not to mention that some heatspreaders are so poorly designed that they end up making the RAM run warmer.
zoltanqc
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada171 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-19 01:34:17
July 19 2010 01:29 GMT
#756
quick question here.

I got a laptop with VGA and HDMI output (NO DVI). Basically im looking for a good monitor (120hz if possible on those outputs, but i doubt it).

Around 22-24".

Not really have a budget limit.

TY!

Edit : this is the laptop if it matters. http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1248/4/
AND THEN, THE INTERNETS EXPLODED.
R04R
Profile Joined March 2009
United States1631 Posts
July 19 2010 01:41 GMT
#757
Get a VGA to DVI Adapter
ô¿ô
zoltanqc
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada171 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-19 01:53:32
July 19 2010 01:53 GMT
#758
On July 19 2010 10:41 R04R wrote:
Get a VGA to DVI Adapter


Are you positive that I will still be able to get that 120hz goodness output?
AND THEN, THE INTERNETS EXPLODED.
Myrmidon
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States9452 Posts
July 19 2010 01:59 GMT
#759
What do you want the 120 Hz for? If you want less ghosting and more smoothness, most 120 Hz monitors deliver this by increasing the frame buffer and interpolating between frames, etc. to insert extra frames between the original 60 frames a second. This increases the display latency, which isn't desirable, particularly for gaming.

The Asus VH236H is a pretty good budget 23" 1920x1080 TFT panel display. It's usually around $180. For the price and size it has really good response time and display latency (average is less than 1/60th of a second). Of course, more expensive monitors may have better swiveling/color accuracy/display quality/other features, but that's often at the expense of display latency and/or response time anyhow.
nineninja9
Profile Joined March 2010
United States194 Posts
July 19 2010 02:11 GMT
#760
I'm having a hard time finding any 120HZ monitors that aren't incredibly expensive and have a resolution of 1920x1080. If I had to recommend a monitor I'd probably go with the asus ms228h, mostly because it's an affordable monitor with LED backlighting.

I personally have a vh236h, and while I think it's a pretty decent monitor, there's some noticeable backlight bleed along the edges which is rather disappointing.

The Acer GD235HZ seems like a fairly affordable 1080p 120hz monitor, but apparently the picture quality isn't great.
Prev 1 36 37 38 39 40 42 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
The PondCast
10:00
Episode 111
CranKy Ducklings42
CranKy Ducklings SOOP24
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech130
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 23703
Shuttle 2816
Bisu 1038
Horang2 802
Jaedong 584
BeSt 414
Hyuk 352
actioN 315
firebathero 290
Light 243
[ Show more ]
Zeus 203
Stork 200
Mini 188
Soulkey 174
Soma 138
Last 135
EffOrt 117
Leta 115
ggaemo 87
ZerO 86
Rush 82
Pusan 74
hero 56
Snow 55
Mong 55
Killer 40
Sexy 39
Aegong 39
Mind 36
Shine 29
NaDa 28
Sharp 26
Bale 24
Shinee 22
ToSsGirL 19
soO 18
PianO 15
Free 13
JulyZerg 13
sorry 13
Yoon 11
Terrorterran 10
HiyA 8
zelot 8
Noble 7
ajuk12(nOOB) 7
Dota 2
qojqva1077
Dendi626
Gorgc417
Fuzer 121
XaKoH 61
League of Legends
Reynor87
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1426
shoxiejesuss679
x6flipin266
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1855
crisheroes723
Other Games
gofns36998
singsing2032
B2W.Neo470
XBOCT313
DeMusliM203
Mew2King127
Livibee112
ArmadaUGS100
Liquid`LucifroN85
QueenE65
Chillindude12
ZerO(Twitch)12
Railgan3
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream294
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 6
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 46
• Letter144
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos2163
• TFBlade367
Other Games
• WagamamaTV105
Upcoming Events
OSC
1h 29m
Stellar Fest
1h 29m
OSC
12h 29m
Stellar Fest
1d 1h
CranKy Ducklings
1d 22h
Online Event
1d 23h
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
[ Show More ]
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-28
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.