• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:54
CEST 18:54
KST 01:54
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon108
StarCraft 2
General
Updated Continental Flags System & New Global Flag StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder BW General Discussion Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8326 users

! [G] Modern Zerg Strategy - Page 3

Forum Index > Brood War Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
iNcontroL *
Profile Blog Joined July 2004
USA29055 Posts
February 13 2008 18:36 GMT
#41
I often (not always smart/perfect on this) engage +1 zealots when I think I have superior numbers / positioning. I have lost games from this. Making 2-3 sunkens is the safer method for sure.

But "waiting" for 1-1 is not always feasible. +1 zealots are beastly sure, but nothing to fear to the point of complete avoidance.
zulu_nation8
Profile Blog Joined May 2005
China26351 Posts
February 13 2008 18:41 GMT
#42
well not like, avoid them completely, just get a couple sunkens, wait till zealots are attacking sunkens then attack, I just feel like it's not +ev to attack +1 zealots with 0-0 lings unless you have like, 5 lings to 1 zealot.
Too_MuchZerg
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
Finland2818 Posts
February 13 2008 18:51 GMT
#43
I did watch a lot of your ZvP replays (iccup replay package thread). I just wonder what is the reason why you upgrade ling attack first rather than hydra attack even if you pump a lot hydras (way more than lings)+ huge use of lurkers? Few games you lost (my opinion) because upgrading that but you didnt even use ling attack (seeing 0-2 hydras attacking protoss when 2-2 updgrades goes waste).

Why not go 3 evo chambers, even 2-1-2 is better than 2-0-2 i think (or 1-1-2). Plz no "preparing for ultralisk" answer

(2-0-2 I understand if army is ling/lurker but its not usually)
iNcontroL *
Profile Blog Joined July 2004
USA29055 Posts
February 13 2008 19:07 GMT
#44
On February 14 2008 03:51 Too_MuchZerg wrote:
I did watch a lot of your ZvP replays (iccup replay package thread). I just wonder what is the reason why you upgrade ling attack first rather than hydra attack even if you pump a lot hydras (way more than lings)+ huge use of lurkers? Few games you lost (my opinion) because upgrading that but you didnt even use ling attack (seeing 0-2 hydras attacking protoss when 2-2 updgrades goes waste).

Why not go 3 evo chambers, even 2-1-2 is better than 2-0-2 i think (or 1-1-2). Plz no "preparing for ultralisk" answer

(2-0-2 I understand if army is ling/lurker but its not usually)


The "plz no ultralisk response" is the answer. Its obviously a preperation for late game, what other answer you expect?

Too_MuchZerg
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
Finland2818 Posts
February 13 2008 19:51 GMT
#45
On February 14 2008 04:07 {88}iNcontroL wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 14 2008 03:51 Too_MuchZerg wrote:
I did watch a lot of your ZvP replays (iccup replay package thread). I just wonder what is the reason why you upgrade ling attack first rather than hydra attack even if you pump a lot hydras (way more than lings)+ huge use of lurkers? Few games you lost (my opinion) because upgrading that but you didnt even use ling attack (seeing 0-2 hydras attacking protoss when 2-2 updgrades goes waste).

Why not go 3 evo chambers, even 2-1-2 is better than 2-0-2 i think (or 1-1-2). Plz no "preparing for ultralisk" answer

(2-0-2 I understand if army is ling/lurker but its not usually)


The "plz no ultralisk response" is the answer. Its obviously a preperation for late game, what other answer you expect?



[opinion]
Then why dont make army like scourge / ling / lurker and skip hydras (not wasting gas for hydra upgrades) and straight ultra then?

Its just that it liked that few games you had 30-50 hydras with 2-0-2 upgrades with zero-6 lings and survived few waves of protoss forces but then died to protoss compination that butchered hydras (few lurkers) even before hive tech is completed.

I was thinking maybe to use those hydra upgrades before ultas comes by good drops to protoss main etc. Getting late game is much harder when you die before that because of lack of upgrades from hydras.

[/opinion]

I certainly play lower skill level than you but I started experimenting all kind of things to stop protoss anhilating me before hive tech kicks in by making occasionally drop games, upgrading different order when needed before those mad cows gets possible job done. For me sometimes 2-1-3 is better than 3-0-3 upgrades.
red.venom
Profile Joined October 2002
United States4651 Posts
February 13 2008 20:09 GMT
#46
Upgrades are one of the longest commitments in the game, so like he said. he is just preparing for late game, yeah maybe it would be worthwhile if he was using mostly lurker/hydra force to have range attack upgraded but.. Its not your long game goal usually, and sometimes you just get caught by those type of situations.

I think another similar situation is if im preparing for a ultra/ling late game in ZvT, then something critical happens like I lose a major expand while countering to T so I am left with my main/nat vs his slow rebuild.. and I end up playing a scared defiler/lurker game with unupgraded lurkers. I might still win it, but I cant predict when something like this will happen so even though it would be easier with that range attack upgraded, i just cant predict that way. Best case is to upgrade after the fact, but even then we are talking several minutes to wait for it to even be finished, let alone start to affect battles.
Broom
iNcontroL *
Profile Blog Joined July 2004
USA29055 Posts
February 13 2008 20:10 GMT
#47
the hydras were probably situational and not planned. I dont like going hydra late game as they are weaker and probably couldn't afford to have 3 evos thinking rather that I could win with early hydra or NEEDED them to defend. The plan is for late game melee. But this topic is fruitless and not worth discussing further.
NovaTheFeared
Profile Blog Joined October 2004
United States7232 Posts
February 13 2008 21:05 GMT
#48
Please link us to some of the games where Incontrol had 50 hydras and no hydra +attack.
日本語が分かりますか
Tiamat
Profile Joined February 2003
United States498 Posts
February 13 2008 21:06 GMT
#49
[Q] ZvP

I played a game on the map that has the Protoss Gas Chokes, and when you destroy them it basicly turns the game into an island game.

How do you play against a Protoss on this map when they mass sairs, I am talking about 2 control groups or more worth of sairs. I tried the only counter I could think of, Devs but even those were destroyed quite easily. Any type of drops are thwarted by Sairs and Dweb, and normally his bases are littered with cannons.

I guess the question is, how does a zerg take back air control from mass sairs when they cannot attack via ground units?
iNcontroL *
Profile Blog Joined July 2004
USA29055 Posts
February 13 2008 21:56 GMT
#50
On February 14 2008 06:06 Tiamat wrote:
[Q] ZvP

I played a game on the map that has the Protoss Gas Chokes, and when you destroy them it basicly turns the game into an island game.

How do you play against a Protoss on this map when they mass sairs, I am talking about 2 control groups or more worth of sairs. I tried the only counter I could think of, Devs but even those were destroyed quite easily. Any type of drops are thwarted by Sairs and Dweb, and normally his bases are littered with cannons.

I guess the question is, how does a zerg take back air control from mass sairs when they cannot attack via ground units?


I know the map you are talking about. I have only observed 1 game on it, and it was TvZ. So I have no idea >_<
YPang
Profile Blog Joined April 2007
United States4024 Posts
February 13 2008 22:04 GMT
#51
quit telling all the zergs to drop vs terran k? so annoying...
sMi.Gladstone | BW: B high| SC2: gold T_T
HotZhot
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
Colombia677 Posts
February 13 2008 22:50 GMT
#52
<3<3<3 ZvP When do you upgrade hydra range/speed if you say you go Lurk first?
I only smile in the darK [] sAviOr//JaeDong Fan 4 Ever ~ CJ Entusman # 7
blagoonga123
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
United States2068 Posts
February 13 2008 23:09 GMT
#53
nice
FOOL! Pain is my friend! Now let me introduce you to it!
DamageControL
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
United States4222 Posts
February 14 2008 01:05 GMT
#54
Pure gold here. Anyways I was reading on your counters for toss and is there anything toss can do to counter the 9pool while FEing? Or will the zerg always end up ahead?
Liquid | SKT
Scooter
Profile Blog Joined November 2007
United States747 Posts
February 14 2008 02:02 GMT
#55
Thanks incontrol, I'm loving your contributions <3
My unblocks gets yo curleh mustache wet のωの
5HITCOMBO
Profile Joined March 2006
Japan2239 Posts
February 14 2008 03:22 GMT
#56
[ZvZ]
What do you think about 9 hatch main 9 pool? Does 9 pool's faster lair just counter this straight up?
I live in perpetual fear of terrorists and studio gangsters
red.venom
Profile Joined October 2002
United States4651 Posts
February 14 2008 04:02 GMT
#57
On February 14 2008 12:22 5HITCOMBO wrote:
[ZvZ]
What do you think about 9 hatch main 9 pool? Does 9 pool's faster lair just counter this straight up?


Man i dont know if ive played vs that build with 9overpool but im pretty sure i tried it once or twice vs it to see how it would do.. and the overpool manages to keep up with you in ling count for a while if he wants to pump nonstop lings, his lair is gonna be like 50% before your hatch even finishes. All he gotta do is keep 1 drone on gas and economically he should be fairly even with you, good sunken placement and back off his ramp before you get overwhelming numbers and there should be almost nothing you can do, once his muta or two pops out you gotta get spore or you're dead.. then he can just keep massing mutas after putting a few drones back on gas.

Im trying to comb my mind for how 9hat/9pool does vs the other builds as I used to do it a lot back on gamei(I was awful compared to now though). Seemed good vs 12pool and 9pool speed, but not great vs 12hatch.
Broom
xBTx
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
Canada542 Posts
February 14 2008 04:08 GMT
#58
This > Gold.

And I don't even play Zerg that much
stuffing feathers up your butt doesnt make you a chicken
iNcontroL *
Profile Blog Joined July 2004
USA29055 Posts
February 14 2008 04:25 GMT
#59
On February 14 2008 13:02 red.venom wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 14 2008 12:22 5HITCOMBO wrote:
[ZvZ]
What do you think about 9 hatch main 9 pool? Does 9 pool's faster lair just counter this straight up?


Man i dont know if ive played vs that build with 9overpool but im pretty sure i tried it once or twice vs it to see how it would do.. and the overpool manages to keep up with you in ling count for a while if he wants to pump nonstop lings, his lair is gonna be like 50% before your hatch even finishes. All he gotta do is keep 1 drone on gas and economically he should be fairly even with you, good sunken placement and back off his ramp before you get overwhelming numbers and there should be almost nothing you can do, once his muta or two pops out you gotta get spore or you're dead.. then he can just keep massing mutas after putting a few drones back on gas.

Im trying to comb my mind for how 9hat/9pool does vs the other builds as I used to do it a lot back on gamei(I was awful compared to now though). Seemed good vs 12pool and 9pool speed, but not great vs 12hatch.


9hatch/9pool is good on VERY FEW MAPS and ONLY maps that are great for 2 gate protoss or MAYBE bbs (but those maps are rare). For zvz its dumb and bad.
iNcontroL *
Profile Blog Joined July 2004
USA29055 Posts
February 14 2008 04:26 GMT
#60
On February 14 2008 10:05 DamageControL wrote:
Pure gold here. Anyways I was reading on your counters for toss and is there anything toss can do to counter the 9pool while FEing? Or will the zerg always end up ahead?


Toss can be fine if they position the buildings so it takes 1-2 probes to block. Also P's need to scout well. If the Z is making many lings throw down a sunk or two and wait for them to "all-in." If they are smart it becomes a standard game.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 7h 6m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 63
Codebar 35
UpATreeSC 11
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 1243
EffOrt 1192
Mini 708
Soma 625
actioN 468
Rush 438
Light 326
Larva 311
BeSt 223
Snow 153
[ Show more ]
hero 129
firebathero 111
Dewaltoss 111
Zeus 67
Liquid`Ret 58
Barracks 58
Sexy 30
Shine 27
JYJ 26
soO 26
sorry 25
ToSsGirL 24
Trap 23
Bale 23
Rock 11
zelot 11
Sacsri 8
Terrorterran 6
Dota 2
Gorgc8273
qojqva2097
Dendi895
420jenkins174
Counter-Strike
Fnx 797
pashabiceps705
x6flipin587
ceh9384
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes5663
Grubby3969
Liquid`Hasu353
Other Games
Beastyqt545
byalli428
B2W.Neo422
Khaldor188
DeMusliM170
Liquid`VortiX146
ArmadaUGS142
KnowMe140
BRAT_OK 86
C9.Mang074
TKL 61
Trikslyr59
Railgan8
Organizations
Other Games
WardiTV268
BasetradeTV210
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream144
[ Show 20 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH246
• StrangeGG 71
• mYiSmile125
• Reevou 3
• intothetv
• Migwel
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 14
• FirePhoenix11
• 80smullet 6
• Azhi_Dahaki4
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV416
League of Legends
• Nemesis2887
• TFBlade851
Other Games
• Shiphtur267
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
7h 6m
Kung Fu Cup
18h 6m
The PondCast
1d 17h
OSC
1d 20h
OSC
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.