• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:57
CEST 02:57
KST 09:57
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2317
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8887 users

[Article] Hopes and Dreams. - Page 3

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
NeverGG *
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
United Kingdom5399 Posts
May 21 2009 00:25 GMT
#41
On May 21 2009 09:20 Chill wrote:
Really nice article. It's unfortunate the male/female discussion somehow snuck in there because its basis is very flimsy - Specifically the last paragraph in the R.E.S.P.E.C.T. section.

I love the emotion and writing style of the entire article. It was very pleasant to read.


Thanks Chill. Looking at it now - I think I needed to word it differently to get my precise point across. Plus she is the only real evidence of this now the womens' leagues are long gone. I wish I'd been around to be able to report those. However, these are really only written for fun when I'm bored so I probably won't rewrite it now. (Heck it's why I'm graphics team and not writers LOL!)
우리 행운의 모양은 여러개지만 행복의 모양은 하나
Chill
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
Calgary26004 Posts
May 21 2009 00:30 GMT
#42
Sorry NeverGG I ninja-added some stuff to my post, but it should be evident anyways.

It really sucks (and 99% of people, including myself, are going to fall into this trap) that when everything is really nice except one thing, it get's the focus. There's a huge disparity in my post when I loved the article but spent the majority discussing what I didn't like.

So I want to emphasize that I really enjoyed this article a lot. I specifically like the emotion I can feel behind the words. It really feels like an article from someone invested into it, rather than someone largely removed from their words. THANKS!
Moderator
l10f *
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States3241 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-05-21 00:50:04
May 21 2009 00:49 GMT
#43
Read the line under this sentence.
Writer
NeverGG *
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
United Kingdom5399 Posts
May 21 2009 00:57 GMT
#44
On May 21 2009 09:30 Chill wrote:
Sorry NeverGG I ninja-added some stuff to my post, but it should be evident anyways.

It really sucks (and 99% of people, including myself, are going to fall into this trap) that when everything is really nice except one thing, it get's the focus. There's a huge disparity in my post when I loved the article but spent the majority discussing what I didn't like.

So I want to emphasize that I really enjoyed this article a lot. I specifically like the emotion I can feel behind the words. It really feels like an article from someone invested into it, rather than someone largely removed from their words. THANKS!


I can understand where you're coming from on that edit. I don't agree with forcibly adding women to StarCraft upon a professional level myself. I think I'm wishing more for a female gamer to be able to rise up through the ranks upon the strength of her performances alone and to not be judged via her looks. It'd be awesome to see a woman version of Flash or Jaedong tearing up the scene and making some waves (it'd definitely be something different for once.)

@poster below: I still laugh every time I see that ID. It's almost as funny as Only.Hubert and By.Sheep.
우리 행운의 모양은 여러개지만 행복의 모양은 하나
Ideas
Profile Blog Joined April 2008
United States8179 Posts
May 21 2009 01:05 GMT
#45
I want to buy an STX shirt! :\
Free Palestine
alt.tday
Profile Joined April 2009
United States180 Posts
May 21 2009 01:44 GMT
#46
no. Foreigners will never catch up to koreans. Unless they're enough of a loser to go to korea and play (idra) or create a starcraft league in the US that people would watch (noone would watch)
♠Spades ♣Clubs ♥Hearts ♦Diamonds ★★★★★
Dazed.
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Canada3301 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-05-21 02:35:00
May 21 2009 02:30 GMT
#47
Starcraft is the most competitive game in history. Making women a bigger role of sc is idiotic. We are not all created equal. If women gamers do not have the drive, or the capacity to play at the required level, they will not be there. Affirmative action results in the lowering of standards [EDIT: I just read the post above mine, and it seems that was never your intent. I'll keep that in there anyways because I don't like deleting my thoughts, but I apologize for arguing against something you never specifically stated/alluded to.]. Only the competent men, only the competent women, must be on a team. Tossgirl is horrible. She remains on stx because she refuses to retire, and her looks can be abused for more money. Of course they are going to do it. It's not sexist, or unfair. Many veteran players remain active only in name, and appear only to boost ratings temporarily. The way I see it, females getting a bigger role in sc is neither a positive or a negative, its simply a potential. If they strive hard enough and play hard enough, maybe they can go somewhere [though tests have shown men are better at conceptualization and visual based information, and therefore have an inherent advantage in, well, video games and coordination, so dont expect parity.]

I agree with the rest of the article.
Never say Die! ||| Fight you? No, I want to kill you.
keV.
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
United States3214 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-05-21 02:48:07
May 21 2009 02:46 GMT
#48
To be honest I don't think ToSsgirl is the right barometer in looking at a female pro gamer rising to the top. Even though she is the only female in the SCBW scene, she isn't conventional in the least.

Would gender really matter in SCBW if you were good? I didn't even think ToSsgirl lived in the STX house, how can you even compare her to male pro gamers when she doesn't even meet one of the simplest criteria for living a pro gamers life?

Not to take anything away from her, because shes a great player in the grand scheme of starcraft and being great takes alot of time and dedication.

The point is, if you look at the SCBW pro scene in a vacuum, it shouldn't surprise anyone that the lesser players don't make it to JD/Bisu/Flash/"x" level. (substitute x with the good player that would not make you angry at me)

Great read btw. I'm just giving my 2c, I read it as more of a stream of consciousness anyway, not trying to debate!


"brevity is the soul of wit" - William Shakesman
Guybrush
Profile Blog Joined December 2002
Spain4744 Posts
May 21 2009 03:33 GMT
#49
Great article! Thank you!
I agree about Tossgirl , but I also accept that's sadly how society works

2 Questions:

First question: Were you present at the EVER2008 finals ? I think I saw you in the crowd at about 08:52~54 in game2

Second question: Was that the biggest attendance at a OSL final ? If not, which one has there been more at, and do you know how many ?
Live2Win is awesome. Happy new year scarabi!
seppolevne
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
Canada1681 Posts
May 24 2009 07:49 GMT
#50
Amazing write-up!
J- Pirate Udyr WW T- Pirate Riven Galio M- Galio Annie S- Sona Lux -- Always farm, never carry.
Musoeun
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States4324 Posts
May 24 2009 08:15 GMT
#51
Great article!

As regards the question of the sex differences - how many (I assume some) female gamers compete in things like the Courage tournaments, and how well do they do? I don't know if there's any way you would know this, but it would be an interesting thing to look at.

Also July is awesome.
Don't Shoot the Penguins. | Dance, 성은, dance! | Killer FanKlub | Action sucks. | Storm Terran hwaiting.
FakeSteve[TPR]
Profile Blog Joined July 2003
Valhalla18444 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-05-24 08:33:01
May 24 2009 08:27 GMT
#52
great article

but uh tossgirl isn't pigeonholed because she's a woman, she's pigeonholed because she is an awful player and must be pigeonholed so to maintain any relevance

if she was a good player, things wouldn't be this way. she's only just recently started practicing anywhere near what her teammates do.

more specifically i mean to say it's not a lack of respect because she's a woman, it's a lack of respect because she's not good at starcraft. there is a very large difference between the two and the distinction must be made. there is virtually no avenue with a greater element of creating your own success than professional starcraft. the question "will women gamers ever receive the same respect as their male counterparts" is a little absurd to me and is way off the mark

i think you're making a very unfair connection while talking about her being 'paraded around' in tight clothes
Moderatormy tatsu loops r fuckin nice
FakeSteve[TPR]
Profile Blog Joined July 2003
Valhalla18444 Posts
May 24 2009 08:40 GMT
#53
also could you stop threatening to stop doing what you do every time someone says something you don't like
Moderatormy tatsu loops r fuckin nice
Kerotan
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
England2111 Posts
May 24 2009 09:06 GMT
#54
On May 21 2009 09:20 Chill wrote:
Really nice article. It's unfortunate the male/female discussion somehow snuck in there because its basis is very flimsy - Specifically the last paragraph in the R.E.S.P.E.C.T. section. Forcibly adding women to StarCraft would add literally nothing to the competition or excitement. The game quality would decrease. In fact your suggestion of adding women to StarCraft defeats the goal of them being treated like equals. The situation we have now treats them as equals - if you suck you don't play. If Tossgirl wants to play, she should not suck. If getting paid a salary is making her suck, she should refuse payment in order to train. Clearly this is a futile, terrible idea and everyone knows it, so what's the point in discussing some fairytale situation where she became an A-team member?

I love the emotion and writing style of the entire article. It was very pleasant to read.


I find the whole issue a little awkward, I would agree that we treat them as equals at the moment, but I think the issue is self (un)fulfilling, you can't really expect for example a completely mixed starcraft scene to grow out of the current one now in a month or so, Its an issue of players, I can't name a single other female starcraft player other than tossgirl, and there needs to be a continuing cycle of players joining because they see players playing and perhaps having more female leagues on TV would A) There would have to be a decent number of girls in the league in order for it to work and B) hopefully there would become a point where such a league would gain its own momentum and it could attract women to the game at the same rate that it losses them.

But clearly, that has been done before, so I can't help but think that part of the problem is the perception of computer games as "boys toys"

All in all, I think its much more likely that the gender imbalance in starcraft comes down to a lack of motivation, and the lack of any real players, rather than any qualities in men that make them better at starcraft than women,
Nerdette // External revolution - Internal revolution // Fabulous // I raise my hands to heaven of curiosity // I don't know what to ask for // What has it got for me? // Kerribear
Hammy
Profile Joined January 2009
France828 Posts
May 24 2009 09:25 GMT
#55
Great post, thanks.
The title: "coming out of the closet" followed by Jaedong? That would be funny if it were a pic of Bisu, but Jaedong? Naah the joke is lost there.
Tom Phoenix
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
1114 Posts
May 25 2009 01:08 GMT
#56
Nice article, NeverGG. However, I find it interesting that you did not mention one of the greatest hope`s/dream`s of the non-Korean crowds and that is to see another foreigner be successful on the Korean scene. Ever since (P)Grrrr... retired from progaming, there has not been a single foreigner that has managed to match his success. That is the reason why so many people pinned their hopes on (T)IdrA, since he was (and still is) so successful on the foreigner scene.

However, considering (T)IdrA`s rather abysmal success so far and the ever closer release of StarCraft II, that dream is becoming increasingly unlikely. As such, unless some Chinese player (Chinese are non-Koreans a.k.a foreigners as well >looks Artosis`s way< ) starts beating top Koreans on ICCup left and right and gets invited, it seems like we will most likely have to wait for StarCraft II to get our next (P)Grrrr...
You and your "5 years of competitive RTS experience" can take a hike. - FrozenArbiter
Kuja900
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States3564 Posts
May 25 2009 03:00 GMT
#57
I hear what you saying bout tossgirl but do you see any other player of her skill level getting that level of attention, shes really lucky if you ask me.
OMG you nasty gurl
jodogohoo
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Canada2533 Posts
May 25 2009 04:19 GMT
#58
i want title matches to be like boxing, you win the osl, you wait until the next person wins and then you challenge for the crown, kind of like the gomtv thing.
FirstBorn
Profile Blog Joined March 2007
Romania3955 Posts
May 25 2009 04:30 GMT
#59
On May 25 2009 12:00 Kuja900 wrote:
I hear what you saying bout tossgirl but do you see any other player of her skill level getting that level of attention, shes really lucky if you ask me.


That's a bit debatable. I wouldn't swallow to my pride to be kept in a proteam as "eye candy" becase my skill is not good enough to actually be there. Because that's the truth, she's there to create an image.

Oh and btw, great article NeverGG, it was an enjoyable read.
SonuvBob: Yes, the majority of TL is college-aged, and thus clearly stupid.
JWD
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States12607 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-05-25 04:52:38
May 25 2009 04:47 GMT
#60
I agree with FakeSteve on this article's treatment of ToSsGirl.

Some may argue that she has no place in the progaming scene, but unfortunately her role is largely defined by two basic aspects; her gender and her perceived attractiveness. Pigeon-holed by the very company she works for, Jisoo is now regarded as not only a player with no chance to advance beyond the ranks of the middling male progamers, but also as so-called 'eye-candy.' Dressed in mini skirts and tight fitting tops she fulfills the same role as the Star League booth girls.

As Chill mentioned, this paragraph is particularly objectionable. How can you say Tossgirl is "pigeonholed" when she voluntarily works for STX SouL? Also, you seem to be suggesting that it's somehow unfair that Tossgirl is seen as "a player with no chance to advance beyond the ranks of the middling male progamers" (the male distinction is completely unnecessary here). This is professional gaming! There are scores of gamers who we've seen flounder in their few broadcast appearances and have dismissed as second-tier players - why are you trying to make this perception seem unjust in Tossgirl's case?

The bottom line is that, as FS pointed out, Tossgirl gets no respect because she is not good at StarCraft (relatively speaking, of course). In fact the only reason she remains relevant in the SC scene is because she has the advantage of being a woman (and thus a unique spokesperson), so to paint her position as some sort of male-dominance-induced injustice is preposterous.

The system might do itself and the spirits of those women gamers who look up to their professional counterparts if it stopped looking for 'pretty' or 'bankable.' and started seeking out 'talent' and 'motivation' instead.

Are you suggesting that StarCraft teams are recruiting pretty female gamers? I certainly don't see any evidence for this. The professional StarCraft scene is one of the most brutally efficient meritocracies I've ever seen in action: talent and motivation are what make stars, bring in money, and inspire teams' scouts. Because we rarely even see progamers on camera (and the game in its "purest" multiplayer form is played totally anonymously), skill is much more important in SC (versus "marketability") than it is in any sport, for example. It's borderline absurd to imply that professional SC rewards "pretty and bankable" over "talent and motivation".

Will women gamers ever recieve as much respect as their male counterparts?

This question is totally off the mark. As I've already mentioned, Tossgirl gets little respect because she is not good at SC, not because she is a woman. To show that there is somehow an anti-female bias amongst SC fans, you would need to find male players with Tossgirl's accomplishments who are more respected. Good luck...I think based on the results of this search you'd have to conclude that SC fans have an anti-male bias (for supporting Tossgirl despite her mediocre record).

The non-Tossgirl elements of this bit were cool, though. Thanks for those, NeverGG, and as always keep up the awesome work with your photography.
✌
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
QMC Community Tournament 1
CranKy Ducklings85
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
CosmosSc2 42
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 1843
GuemChi 1607
Artosis 630
910 56
Bale 19
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm148
League of Legends
Doublelift3443
Counter-Strike
taco 45
minikerr0
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox269
Other Games
summit1g8874
shahzam611
JimRising 517
C9.Mang0337
PiGStarcraft305
Maynarde143
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick905
BasetradeTV196
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream20
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 120
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP74
• davetesta23
• Letter145
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
9h 3m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
10h 3m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
23h 3m
Patches Events
1d 15h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.