• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 00:18
CEST 06:18
KST 13:18
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon101Weekly Cups (Aug 30-Sep 7): herO thrives amid growing schism10
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) Blizzard Classic Cup @ BlizzCon 2026 - $100k prize pool The Death of Cheese: From a Professional Cheeser
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach Bot on ladder an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ StarCraft Human 'N' AI League
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 11177 users

Competitive Gaming Article by Day[9] - Page 3

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All
Day[9]
Profile Blog Joined April 2003
United States7366 Posts
January 03 2008 01:40 GMT
#41
On January 03 2008 10:15 Woyn wrote:
aha! KKND! I also played this, I still have my original copy that I picked up in a sale


omg lets play!! ahahah!!! yess!!! :D :D :D

do you remember the beetle for evolved? it did by far the most damage of any unit in the game, but it had a ridiculous cooldown rate. however, if you told it to attack a unit, then attack a different one, it would reset the cooldown. essentially, if you had a few beetles, you could attack units back and forth and it would be a constant stream of infinity-damage ooze ahahah.
Whenever I encounter some little hitch, or some of my orbs get out of orbit, nothing pleases me so much as to make the crooked straight and crush down uneven places. www.day9.tv
infinity21 *
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Canada6683 Posts
January 03 2008 02:04 GMT
#42
Wow this is a great article. This "marginal advantage" is something I believe everyone should keep in mind while playing any game.
When I first started playing SC, after fending off the initial attack, I'd always take everything I had and attack the enemy base. My army was always either in my base or my enemy's base. It took me almost a year to realize that it's ok (or should I say ideal) to control the center and take expos.
Thanks for your insight Day
Official Entusman #21
azndsh
Profile Blog Joined August 2006
United States4447 Posts
January 03 2008 02:15 GMT
#43
Excellent remarks. I'd just like to point out that one of the biggest things that separates A-class player from others is their ability to maintain and extend their advantages. This does not necessarily mean they are cautious and don't attack. For example, Iris and July like to use their unit advantage to wreck the other player. Other players prefer being able to secure more expos instead of pushing their attack.

StarCraft has a strong inherent defender's advantage, usually due to travel distance, cliffs, positioning, etc. so there are often games when a player takes a moderate advantage early game or midgame and builds on that advantage for another 10 or 15 minutes before winning. The case is most extreme in PvP or ZvZ where a build order advantage is often enough for a skilled progamer to win.

S-class players are those that are able to overcome disadvantages. Jaedong's ZvZ is a good example. Regardless of what build he uses, he's able to maximize his position and ultimately win most of the time.
Sigrun
Profile Blog Joined February 2007
United States1655 Posts
January 03 2008 04:59 GMT
#44
Wow, awesome article!
And you played KKND? That used to be my favorite game! Too bad I sold it and now I can't find it any more.
Graphics
Alethios
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
New Zealand2765 Posts
January 03 2008 05:45 GMT
#45
What a great write up. Throughly enjoyed reading that. The ending especially was pretty profound. It was something that all game developers should keep in mind as they create their games.

Furthermore, I believe that this philosophy should be keep in the back of the minds of everybody that plays games competitively.

While reading this, I realised that you can apply this to more than just a handful of well designed computer games. Take cricket for example: If you take a wicket, your next objective is to try to use the advantage you've gained by taking the next wicket while the batsman is new to the crease.
I'm sure the philosophy could be applied to even more diverse fields than that.

Thanks for the great read.
When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.
Deleted User 31996
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
843 Posts
January 03 2008 06:37 GMT
#46
you are giving CS too much credit

Quake 3 or Quakeworld :D
OverTheUnder
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
United States2929 Posts
January 03 2008 12:18 GMT
#47
wow, this was an amazing article. Thanks for the read;)
Honor would be taking it up the ass and curing all diseases, damn how stupid can people get. -baal http://puertoricanbw.ytmnd.com/
Woyn
Profile Blog Joined March 2007
United Kingdom1628 Posts
January 03 2008 16:33 GMT
#48
On January 03 2008 10:40 Day[9] wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 03 2008 10:15 Woyn wrote:
aha! KKND! I also played this, I still have my original copy that I picked up in a sale


omg lets play!! ahahah!!! yess!!! :D :D :D

do you remember the beetle for evolved? it did by far the most damage of any unit in the game, but it had a ridiculous cooldown rate. however, if you told it to attack a unit, then attack a different one, it would reset the cooldown. essentially, if you had a few beetles, you could attack units back and forth and it would be a constant stream of infinity-damage ooze ahahah.


I will reinstall it when I am home from work and hopefully it will run fine. Hamachi!! yes I remember the beetle, unfortunately I was never smart enough to work out that you could reset the cooldown like that
myrmidon2537
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
Philippines2188 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-01-03 17:24:10
January 03 2008 17:07 GMT
#49
I love the article. Being a competitive MvC2 player as well among other games you mentioned (since I play MvC2 best) I love how you clearly put your thoughts about marginal advantage, Playing to win rather than Playing to win while looking Good <3

Edit: About that thing in the second page with disarray, "3 teams... etc", + Show Spoiler +
while its exaggerated although it holds truth in it (Teams usually consists of two Top tiers + one good assist) There are still players who can consistently play well against the best players because of the dynamics of their team as well as the assists they choose (example: You play MSS-proj quite differently from MSS-ground )

Any low tier team with a good dynamic still has a good chance to beat a better team even when both players are of equal skill, This is also why most low-tier players pick Tronbonne as their primary assist. By doing this they give themself an advantage they wouldn't normally have.

But enough MvC2, this is a SC site. I can't really type well at 1:30 am here but I hope I made even a small point across =)


IPT.PromilKid: I'm only good at Marvel
Lemonwalrus
Profile Blog Joined August 2006
United States5465 Posts
January 04 2008 00:05 GMT
#50
Nice article, really good and universally applicable idea.
CDRdude
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
United States5625 Posts
January 04 2008 01:01 GMT
#51
Wow, I really need to think about this kind of thing more often. Of course, I probably won't improve all that much just by reading it, because I have problems gaining any kind of advantage, including a marginal one
Force staff is the best item in the game.
FuDDx *
Profile Blog Joined October 2002
United States5018 Posts
January 04 2008 01:15 GMT
#52
Wow great read man enjoyed it very much.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Balloon-Man-FuDD/237447769616965?ref=hl
HaXxorIzed
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
Australia8434 Posts
January 04 2008 01:56 GMT
#53
Ah, it was the beetle that was heinously overpowered in KKND one (I was hoping it would have turned out to be the autocannon tank. That tank was fucking badarse). I merely remember beating the whole thing in a desperate attempt to find some of the special units they hid in the game. That said, the article makes it's point strongly and I agree with it totally. The safe way may not always be the most exciting, but it's those who grasp the marginal advantage and play with it carefully who win more often than not.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/HaXxorIzed
RaGe
Profile Blog Joined July 2004
Belgium9950 Posts
January 04 2008 01:59 GMT
#54
wow that was really nice
Moderatorsometimes I get intimidated by the size of my right testicle
MyLostTemple *
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
United States2921 Posts
January 05 2008 06:59 GMT
#55
excellent article sean. your a truly a brilliant person : ) i'm lucky to have you as a brother
Follow me on twitter: CallMeTasteless
Simplistik
Profile Blog Joined November 2007
2173 Posts
January 05 2008 07:30 GMT
#56
I enjoyed reading this.
Dear BW Gods, it IS now autumn, so...
abandonallhope
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
Sweden563 Posts
January 05 2008 18:58 GMT
#57
It was a really good read, thank you!
XsEAJ
Profile Joined October 2007
United States58 Posts
January 05 2008 20:15 GMT
#58
great article, new ways to look at things, thanks for sharing
Simplistik
Profile Blog Joined November 2007
2173 Posts
January 06 2008 03:17 GMT
#59
I know northing about Mancala, but it sounds to me as if a more powerful strategy (more powerful than the 1 stone advantage) would be one that strives to always have the largest advantage after the opponents turn, but at least 1 stone.

So it wouldn't aim to make the greediest move, but a move that builds a steady advantage if possible and otherwise maintains the advantage.
Dear BW Gods, it IS now autumn, so...
Day[9]
Profile Blog Joined April 2003
United States7366 Posts
January 06 2008 04:33 GMT
#60
On January 06 2008 12:17 Simplistik wrote:
I know northing about Mancala, but it sounds to me as if a more powerful strategy (more powerful than the 1 stone advantage) would be one that strives to always have the largest advantage after the opponents turn, but at least 1 stone.

So it wouldn't aim to make the greediest move, but a move that builds a steady advantage if possible and otherwise maintains the advantage.


yes you are totally correct. this is essentially what the winning program did. rather than say this explicitly, i just wrote it in a very brief way since it was unnecessary to go into too much detail. (plus, there are so many billions of variations of mancala that it would depend on what version you were playing haha)

what's important is that video games >> board games ;] hahahah
Whenever I encounter some little hitch, or some of my orbs get out of orbit, nothing pleases me so much as to make the crooked straight and crush down uneven places. www.day9.tv
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
00:00
2026 GSTL: Grand Finals
CranKy Ducklings120
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
23:00
OSC Masters Cup #151 Qualifier
davetesta18
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 254
NeuroSwarm 182
StarCraft: Brood War
HiyA 354
hero 74
sorry 27
Bale 19
ZergMaN 11
Terrorterran 11
Dota 2
monkeys_forever1071
League of Legends
JimRising 730
Counter-Strike
taco 427
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King184
Other Games
summit1g10661
Maynarde207
ArmadaUGS46
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick498
StarCraft: Brood War
Kim Chul Min (afreeca) 11
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 138
• Berry_CruncH121
• practicex 25
• Letter145
• Kozan
• Migwel
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• IndyKCrew
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 3
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota273
League of Legends
• Rush1088
• Stunt222
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
5h 42m
Soma vs Jaedong
WardiTV Weekly
6h 42m
Monday Night Weeklies
11h 42m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 5h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 5h
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 19h
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
FEL
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.