• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 22:05
CEST 04:05
KST 11:05
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)54Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6856 users

[ASL] New maps: Taebaek Mountains and Overwatch - Page 2

Forum Index > BW General
115 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Freakling
Profile Joined October 2012
Germany1534 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-07-12 15:27:03
July 12 2016 15:05 GMT
#21
On July 12 2016 21:29 classicyellow83 wrote:
So many players have problems with the new maps. They want them gone. >.<

How surprising (that's sarcasm!).
Seriously, these are still badly made and imbalanced.
They did actually hardly fix any of the bugs I pointed out (although they at least did some of the obvious changes, but it's really too little)... At least the random cover tiles on Overwatch are gone, as a by-effect of making the high ground ring buildable. However, that and the extra ramp making the 3rd gas expansion much easier accessible will probably make this another Terran-favoured map – not what the meta need right now.


On July 12 2016 23:13 Peeano wrote:
I've done little testing, but I think I found an error:
After you kill 1 temple of the temple stack, the temple stack remains impassable terrain, but it does become buildable terrain.
[image loading]
[image loading]

That's normal, it's just how stacked buildings work. You can do the same on Heartbreak Ridge (for example) Good practice would be to make terrain under stacked building blocks unbuildable, just in case. However, these map makers seem to understand painfully little about the underlying game mechanics of things, so they haven't got any good practices to avoid weirdness like this.


I've also found something that surprised me a lot:
+ Show Spoiler +

[image loading]

Neither a probe, marine, firebat, medic, nor ghost could pass there, but a zealot could. Wtf?
If that is intentional it's quite ingenious. (No, I didn't test with lings, yet)

(My testing was done offline: singleplayer>scexp>custom)
If Zealots fit through, lings do as well.
The simple explanation is the difference in collision box height:
Zergling: 16 px
Zealot: 19 px
Marine, Medic: 20 px
Ghost, Firebat: 22 px
Worker: 23 px
A Zealot barely fits throught the gap here, anything higher gets stuck:
[image loading]

Peeano
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
Netherlands5927 Posts
July 12 2016 15:22 GMT
#22
Thanks for clarification, Freakling. I didn't think of the different height n width in units tbh. I always thought a ghost was even tinier than a zergling, but I guess that's only true for the box width?

these map makers seem to understand painfully little about the underlying game mechanics of things, so they haven't got any good practices to avoid weirdness like this

I think that's very sad and inexcusable bad for BW in general.


I wanted to make a thorough post on wall ins. I'm not gonna bother if there are this many problems already.
FBH #1!
Freakling
Profile Joined October 2012
Germany1534 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-07-12 22:55:52
July 12 2016 15:24 GMT
#23
Also wanted to show these. It's a terrain level analysis (using chkdraft). green is low ground, red is high ground (sorry, red-green-blind people, I did not pick the colours, but if you cannot make out anything, I could colour-shift the pictures for you).
Observe this weirdness:
[image loading]
[image loading]
To be fair, though, neither of these is particularly bad when compared many other popular maps. For the longest time there simply has no proper tool been around for efficiently finding and fixing these kind of bugs. However, now there is. It should be made good use of!
Freakling
Profile Joined October 2012
Germany1534 Posts
July 12 2016 15:25 GMT
#24
On July 13 2016 00:22 Peeano wrote:
Thanks for clarification, Freakling. I didn't think of the different height n width in units tbh. I always thought a ghost was even tinier than a zergling, but I guess that's only true for the box width?

Exactly. Zergling is 16 wide, ghost only 15 (hence they can pass Troy gates, but Lings cannot)
Peeano
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
Netherlands5927 Posts
July 12 2016 15:30 GMT
#25
If you ask me ASL should just hire Freakling to make the maps or either have him educate Ragnarok[Valkyrie]...
FBH #1!
Cele
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Germany4016 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-07-12 15:57:24
July 12 2016 15:46 GMT
#26
On July 12 2016 23:13 Peeano wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 12 2016 21:41 BisuDagger wrote:
On July 12 2016 20:59 Seeker wrote:
Lol, Overwatch map already? These damn clever Koreans. Taebaek Mountains looks fun but doesn't really look like a memorable map. But who knows, maybe I'll be proven wrong.

The map is terrible for protoss. Two entrances into the main and you can't wall of either effectively.

If anyone has time to test walls for any of the races, please post pics here.

Do you mean into the natural? You're talking about Taebaek Mountains, right?

I've done little testing, but I think I found an error:
After you kill 1 temple of the temple stack, the temple stack remains impassable terrain, but it does become buildable terrain.
+ Show Spoiler +

[image loading]
[image loading]


I've also found something that surprised me a lot:
+ Show Spoiler +

[image loading]

Neither a probe, marine, firebat, medic, nor ghost could pass there, but a zealot could. Wtf?
If that is intentional it's quite ingenious. (No, I didn't test with lings, yet)

(My testing was done offline: singleplayer>scexp>custom)


Unit sizes

TL:DR: yes, thats normal. a zeal is only 19 wide while all units you mentioned are wider. Is that wall lingtight over the gate? in that case i like it. 1 gap wall blockable with 1 zeal.

€: already answered.
Broodwar for life!
Cele
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Germany4016 Posts
July 12 2016 15:57 GMT
#27
On July 13 2016 00:22 Peeano wrote:
Thanks for clarification, Freakling. I didn't think of the different height n width in units tbh. I always thought a ghost was even tinier than a zergling, but I guess that's only true for the box width?

Show nested quote +
these map makers seem to understand painfully little about the underlying game mechanics of things, so they haven't got any good practices to avoid weirdness like this

I think that's very sad and inexcusable bad for BW in general.


I wanted to make a thorough post on wall ins. I'm not gonna bother if there are this many problems already.


do it anyway pls. If the map doesn't get ditched last sec, it will be valuable for viewers who are watching ASL and to the TL Coverage (Cast&Article)

I'd do it myself, but walls are not my strong suit. I can help u test though if u want (;
Broodwar for life!
Freakling
Profile Joined October 2012
Germany1534 Posts
July 12 2016 16:26 GMT
#28
On July 13 2016 00:46 Cele wrote:TL:DR: yes, thats normal. a zeal is only 19 wide while all units you mentioned are wider. Is that wall lingtight over the gate? in that case i like it. 1 gap wall blockable with 1 zeal.
No wall is ever ling-tight above the gate (unless there is a pre-placed unwalkable tile at the top right edge or something like a neutral egg plugging the gap, neither of which is the case here).
BisuDagger
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Bisutopia19387 Posts
July 12 2016 17:32 GMT
#29
On July 13 2016 01:26 Freakling wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 13 2016 00:46 Cele wrote:TL:DR: yes, thats normal. a zeal is only 19 wide while all units you mentioned are wider. Is that wall lingtight over the gate? in that case i like it. 1 gap wall blockable with 1 zeal.
No wall is ever ling-tight above the gate (unless there is a pre-placed unwalkable tile at the top right edge or something like a neutral egg plugging the gap, neither of which is the case here).

We need more neutral eggs.
ModeratorFormer Afreeca Starleague Caster: http://afreeca.tv/ASL2ENG2
Peeano
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
Netherlands5927 Posts
July 12 2016 18:58 GMT
#30
I just want to note that in Celes' explanation, he mixed up units' width with height.

And if it can be confirmed that these maps are going to be played, I'd be happy to provide wall ins coverage. Otherwise I don't see the point.
FBH #1!
BisuDagger
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Bisutopia19387 Posts
July 12 2016 19:02 GMT
#31
On July 13 2016 03:58 Peeano wrote:
I just want to note that in Celes' explanation, he mixed up units' width with height.

And if it can be confirmed that these maps are going to be played, I'd be happy to provide wall ins coverage. Otherwise I don't see the point.

Please do. They will be played and the effort would be greatly appreciated.
ModeratorFormer Afreeca Starleague Caster: http://afreeca.tv/ASL2ENG2
amazingxkcd
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
GRAND OLD AMERICA16375 Posts
July 12 2016 19:35 GMT
#32
adding neutral eggs doesnt solve the issue though, only placates it
The world is burning and you rather be on this terrible website discussing video games and your shallow feelings
BisuDagger
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Bisutopia19387 Posts
July 12 2016 19:46 GMT
#33
On July 13 2016 04:35 amazingxkcd wrote:
adding neutral eggs doesnt solve the issue though, only placates it

I was just being silly.
ModeratorFormer Afreeca Starleague Caster: http://afreeca.tv/ASL2ENG2
prech
Profile Joined March 2014
United States2948 Posts
July 12 2016 20:40 GMT
#34
Some Overwatch testing from a YGOSU poster:

http://www.ygosu.com/community/st/319932

Showing how vulnerable the 3/6/9/12 expansions are to seige from down-below, much like FS
[image loading]

As well as the mineral-only thirds from a small nook/cranny
[image loading]

How minerals can be harvested from behind the patches
[image loading]
Liquipedia
Cele
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Germany4016 Posts
July 12 2016 22:02 GMT
#35
On July 13 2016 03:58 Peeano wrote:
I just want to note that in Celes' explanation, he mixed up units' width with height.

And if it can be confirmed that these maps are going to be played, I'd be happy to provide wall ins coverage. Otherwise I don't see the point.


i did. My offer still stands to accompany you with testing though (;
Broodwar for life!
Freakling
Profile Joined October 2012
Germany1534 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-07-13 16:31:40
July 12 2016 22:20 GMT
#36
On July 13 2016 05:40 prech wrote:
Some Overwatch testing from a YGOSU poster:

http://www.ygosu.com/community/st/319932

Showing how vulnerable the 3/6/9/12 expansions are to seige from down-below, much like FS
+ Show Spoiler [Image] +
[image loading]
You could call this a feature ;D

As well as the mineral-only thirds from a small nook/cranny
+ Show Spoiler [Image] +
[image loading]
Yeah, that tank hole should have been plugged...

How minerals can be harvested from behind the patches
+ Show Spoiler [Image] +
[image loading]
And by "can" you probably mean "workers go there on their own account", i.e. there is a worker migration problem through the gap?

They seem to also have realized the obvious differences in vision (and hence terrain elevation) between the ramps.

The unequal walling options at the nats are also a real positional balance problem (and even more so in ZvP):
+ Show Spoiler [Images] +
[image loading]
[image loading]
[image loading]
[image loading]
Peeano
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
Netherlands5927 Posts
July 12 2016 22:50 GMT
#37
On July 13 2016 07:02 Cele wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 13 2016 03:58 Peeano wrote:
I just want to note that in Celes' explanation, he mixed up units' width with height.

And if it can be confirmed that these maps are going to be played, I'd be happy to provide wall ins coverage. Otherwise I don't see the point.


i did. My offer still stands to accompany you with testing though (;

I appreciate that but I feel it's easier to do it by myself. And it will take some time with making the right screenshots, so I'd feel like I'd be wasting your time.
FBH #1!
-NegativeZero-
Profile Joined August 2011
United States2142 Posts
July 12 2016 22:52 GMT
#38
looks like overwatch is still a garbage map lol
vibeo gane,
Peeano
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
Netherlands5927 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-07-12 23:10:40
July 12 2016 23:05 GMT
#39
On July 13 2016 07:20 Freakling wrote:
And by "can" you probably mean "workers go there on their own account", i.e. there is a worker migration problem through the gap?

Yep, I can confirm that's the case for 5, 7 and 11. I imagine it's true for 1 as well, but as I was about to test that I accidentally ended the game and I can't be bothered to redo it.

Edit: Just checked ygosu and it appears to be true for 1 as well.
FBH #1!
Freakling
Profile Joined October 2012
Germany1534 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-07-14 08:07:52
July 12 2016 23:11 GMT
#40
On July 13 2016 08:05 Peeano wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 13 2016 07:20 Freakling wrote:
And by "can" you probably mean "workers go there on their own account", i.e. there is a worker migration problem through the gap?

Yep, I can confirm that's the case for 5, 7 and 11. I imagine it's true for 1 as well, but as I was about to test that I accidentally ended the game and I can't be bothered to redo it.

It's a minor issue, though. Even more so as all starting points have it to more or less the same extend.
Actually, mining in general is surprisingly good for Overwatch (at least as far as Protoss is concerned). I could only find three major worker pathfinding bugs at the bottom 3rd as well as some fairly minor ones at the left mineral only(1), the left nat (1) ant the top 3rd (2).
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
00:00
OSC Elite Rising Star #21
CranKy Ducklings91
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
NeuroSwarm 152
RuFF_SC2 143
ProTech129
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 14149
Rain 2260
Artosis 611
NaDa 30
Bale 20
League of Legends
Doublelift3778
Counter-Strike
taco 387
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox770
Mew2King128
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor969
Other Games
summit1g8699
Day[9].tv721
JimRising 621
C9.Mang0372
PiGStarcraft331
ArmadaUGS60
ViBE55
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV279
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream91
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 119
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP78
• Letter144
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Day9tv721
• Scarra721
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
10h 55m
OSC
19h 55m
CranKy Ducklings
1d 7h
Online Event
1d 8h
FEL
1d 13h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 14h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 16h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.