• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 14:35
CEST 20:35
KST 03:35
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War645.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament Rollback Netcode in Brood War TL Sidebar missing streams
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
The Link Between Gaming and …
TrAiDoS
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 13613 users

Strengthening Foreign BW - Page 14

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All
puppykiller
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States3137 Posts
October 05 2011 01:42 GMT
#261
On October 05 2011 10:22 stork4ever wrote:
I was sad when sc2 took over teamliquid. But now reading the write ups and seeing the community, I guess the current niche/cult status of bw is not so bad. Before all the fancy tournaments and plethora of foreign castors, was a tiny website devoted to a game that the mainstream public has long beaten and forgotten. It was a meeting place for watching grainy video streamed from a tv to a computer to yet another computer from a foreign land in the middle of night. Where a few hundreds log on to watch two nerds battle it out.

The frustration of the lag (powerpoint games!) and the excitement of the LR. Scbw start to get big and as SC2's release approached, many castors used scbw as a training ground to refine their broadcast skills. People started showing up for release info and when it was released, it became the mecca for games/forums/strategy discussions. For this I am happy that teamliquid is getting its due and the owners get the monetary compensation they deserved.

Somewhere along the way we lost our cult status as we tried to become mainstream. Jangbi's OSL reminded us who were were. We are nerds watching a game on our laptops in the dead of our night, our quick high pitched squeal of delight woke our roommates/parents and they questioned our (wo)manhood. SCBW will not get you girls, you cannot take dates to MLG nor can you convince them to play it. Your bed is your Anaheim convention center, photoshopped hwasin is your Lindsay. There is no barcraft as the next closest bw fan is across state lines. You do not brag about your addiction to everyone you meet, but when you find someone that shares your hobby...that connection is golden. SCBW is not where the cool kids hangout, it never was.

SCBW is you, your computer, and your bagel bites that is still in your microwave because the game started sooner and you are watching kpop during the commercials. Quick poll: how many cried when Nestea won the GSL or when Huk won Dreamhack? Now how many people cried when....insert all OSL/MSL/Proleague finals (and even games). The score will be 0 to too many to count.

Foreign SCBW does not need to be strengthened, it is a cult and cults by nature are unpredicatable and makes no sense to those outside of it. I enjoy SC2 and buy passes and watch tons of streams and tourneys. I do not enjoy SCBW, it is part of me.


hmmm well i still think its a viable goal to help others who come from sc2 that are interested in BW but intimidated have an easier transition into the game.
Why would I play sctoo when I can play BW?
Game
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
3191 Posts
October 05 2011 02:21 GMT
#262
On October 05 2011 10:22 stork4ever wrote:
I do not enjoy SCBW, it is part of me.



Your post (minus the SC2 part) nearly echo my sentiments. By the way, the video is all I could think of when I finished reading your post
SC is like sex. You should play often, but never too hard. And you should only try hard when it matters.
BrosephBrostar
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States445 Posts
October 05 2011 04:59 GMT
#263
On October 05 2011 09:35 Phyrigian wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 05 2011 09:24 Torpedo.Vegas wrote:
If I may put this out there. Perhaps someone with some computer expertise could improve BW compatibility with today's machines. Like debug some interface issues that usually need various 3rd party mods to fix and create a clean concise package for quick and easy installation and play.

Another thing to consider is improving the quality of the sprites. BW has a distinct look to it, a look that is not helped by todays monitors and resolutions. I am not saying SC2 3D, that would be bad IMO considering how the AI works, but perhaps improving the quality and resolution of the in-game sprites to be more visually appealing outsiders, while still retaining that classic look and feel. I was thinking along the lines of taking a Zealot sprite for example, then perhaps doubling the pixel count with the extra pixels detailing and highlighting the original design.

I honestly think this is going to be a big hurdle for expansion that needs to (in some form) be addressed. What a 10 year BW vet sees and experiences, may not be what a potential newcomer sees and experiences, even if they are looking at the same game.



I've actually been thinking about this for a while. Something like Brood War 2. Like how valve is making DOTA 2. it'd be fucking awesome if someone made it. Everyone would consider the idea insane, considering the game still exists and SC2 is released, but idunno ,its just a cool idea in my head :3

A HD remake like Capcom has been doing with older Street Fighter games would be nice, but I don't think Blizzard actually wants people playing BW anymore.
Torpedo.Vegas
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States1890 Posts
October 05 2011 07:03 GMT
#264
On October 05 2011 13:59 BrosephBrostar wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 05 2011 09:35 Phyrigian wrote:
On October 05 2011 09:24 Torpedo.Vegas wrote:
If I may put this out there. Perhaps someone with some computer expertise could improve BW compatibility with today's machines. Like debug some interface issues that usually need various 3rd party mods to fix and create a clean concise package for quick and easy installation and play.

Another thing to consider is improving the quality of the sprites. BW has a distinct look to it, a look that is not helped by todays monitors and resolutions. I am not saying SC2 3D, that would be bad IMO considering how the AI works, but perhaps improving the quality and resolution of the in-game sprites to be more visually appealing outsiders, while still retaining that classic look and feel. I was thinking along the lines of taking a Zealot sprite for example, then perhaps doubling the pixel count with the extra pixels detailing and highlighting the original design.

I honestly think this is going to be a big hurdle for expansion that needs to (in some form) be addressed. What a 10 year BW vet sees and experiences, may not be what a potential newcomer sees and experiences, even if they are looking at the same game.



I've actually been thinking about this for a while. Something like Brood War 2. Like how valve is making DOTA 2. it'd be fucking awesome if someone made it. Everyone would consider the idea insane, considering the game still exists and SC2 is released, but idunno ,its just a cool idea in my head :3

A HD remake like Capcom has been doing with older Street Fighter games would be nice, but I don't think Blizzard actually wants people playing BW anymore.


Blizzard certainly won't do it, they are fully invested in the infrastructure of SC2. But I think this is something the community could do. I mean look at all the third party programs being developed for SC2 or third party support for games like Counter Strike or Elder Scrolls. That is a lot of coding skill being devoted to those games and that is not coming from the developer itself.

Also, this would be in essence a patch to BW, it wouldn't replace the game, but instead update it. Everything else remains the same (for better or worse), but its just a crisper, cleaner and more stable experience.
Silidons
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States2813 Posts
October 05 2011 08:53 GMT
#265
On October 05 2011 16:03 Torpedo.Vegas wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 05 2011 13:59 BrosephBrostar wrote:
On October 05 2011 09:35 Phyrigian wrote:
On October 05 2011 09:24 Torpedo.Vegas wrote:
If I may put this out there. Perhaps someone with some computer expertise could improve BW compatibility with today's machines. Like debug some interface issues that usually need various 3rd party mods to fix and create a clean concise package for quick and easy installation and play.

Another thing to consider is improving the quality of the sprites. BW has a distinct look to it, a look that is not helped by todays monitors and resolutions. I am not saying SC2 3D, that would be bad IMO considering how the AI works, but perhaps improving the quality and resolution of the in-game sprites to be more visually appealing outsiders, while still retaining that classic look and feel. I was thinking along the lines of taking a Zealot sprite for example, then perhaps doubling the pixel count with the extra pixels detailing and highlighting the original design.

I honestly think this is going to be a big hurdle for expansion that needs to (in some form) be addressed. What a 10 year BW vet sees and experiences, may not be what a potential newcomer sees and experiences, even if they are looking at the same game.



I've actually been thinking about this for a while. Something like Brood War 2. Like how valve is making DOTA 2. it'd be fucking awesome if someone made it. Everyone would consider the idea insane, considering the game still exists and SC2 is released, but idunno ,its just a cool idea in my head :3

A HD remake like Capcom has been doing with older Street Fighter games would be nice, but I don't think Blizzard actually wants people playing BW anymore.


Blizzard certainly won't do it, they are fully invested in the infrastructure of SC2. But I think this is something the community could do. I mean look at all the third party programs being developed for SC2 or third party support for games like Counter Strike or Elder Scrolls. That is a lot of coding skill being devoted to those games and that is not coming from the developer itself.

Also, this would be in essence a patch to BW, it wouldn't replace the game, but instead update it. Everything else remains the same (for better or worse), but its just a crisper, cleaner and more stable experience.

Personally I think it would be really really awesome if they had everything SC2 has mechanic wise (MBS, more units in a control group, etc etc) but with everything else being exactly like BW (units/cost/maps/buildings etc). They have SC2BW custom map right now but I don't really like it at all...things don't seem right on it, they even increased the size of everything so it feels like you're playing on the hella small res too.

The day I can play BW on 1920x1200 is the day I can die happily xD
"God fights on the side with the best artillery." - Napoleon Bonaparte
dementrio
Profile Joined November 2010
678 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-05 09:25:11
October 05 2011 09:24 GMT
#266
On October 05 2011 17:53 Silidons wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 05 2011 16:03 Torpedo.Vegas wrote:
On October 05 2011 13:59 BrosephBrostar wrote:
On October 05 2011 09:35 Phyrigian wrote:
On October 05 2011 09:24 Torpedo.Vegas wrote:
If I may put this out there. Perhaps someone with some computer expertise could improve BW compatibility with today's machines. Like debug some interface issues that usually need various 3rd party mods to fix and create a clean concise package for quick and easy installation and play.

Another thing to consider is improving the quality of the sprites. BW has a distinct look to it, a look that is not helped by todays monitors and resolutions. I am not saying SC2 3D, that would be bad IMO considering how the AI works, but perhaps improving the quality and resolution of the in-game sprites to be more visually appealing outsiders, while still retaining that classic look and feel. I was thinking along the lines of taking a Zealot sprite for example, then perhaps doubling the pixel count with the extra pixels detailing and highlighting the original design.

I honestly think this is going to be a big hurdle for expansion that needs to (in some form) be addressed. What a 10 year BW vet sees and experiences, may not be what a potential newcomer sees and experiences, even if they are looking at the same game.



I've actually been thinking about this for a while. Something like Brood War 2. Like how valve is making DOTA 2. it'd be fucking awesome if someone made it. Everyone would consider the idea insane, considering the game still exists and SC2 is released, but idunno ,its just a cool idea in my head :3

A HD remake like Capcom has been doing with older Street Fighter games would be nice, but I don't think Blizzard actually wants people playing BW anymore.


Blizzard certainly won't do it, they are fully invested in the infrastructure of SC2. But I think this is something the community could do. I mean look at all the third party programs being developed for SC2 or third party support for games like Counter Strike or Elder Scrolls. That is a lot of coding skill being devoted to those games and that is not coming from the developer itself.

Also, this would be in essence a patch to BW, it wouldn't replace the game, but instead update it. Everything else remains the same (for better or worse), but its just a crisper, cleaner and more stable experience.

Personally I think it would be really really awesome if they had everything SC2 has mechanic wise (MBS, more units in a control group, etc etc) but with everything else being exactly like BW (units/cost/maps/buildings etc). They have SC2BW custom map right now but I don't really like it at all...things don't seem right on it, they even increased the size of everything so it feels like you're playing on the hella small res too.

The day I can play BW on 1920x1200 is the day I can die happily xD


This wouldn't work, and the reason is the same why some people believe that you need a buggy engine to get a good game (the "mbs killed ESPORTS" crowd).
For example, marines appear to have a lot more DPS in sc2bw, their stats being the same, because despite all the effort the sc2bw guys put into mimicking stupid pathfinding, it's still too efficient; or stuff like brood war mutas are too strong when you can have 30 of them in a control group.
Sayle
Profile Joined October 2010
United Kingdom3685 Posts
October 05 2011 09:29 GMT
#267
I have a big project planned for the upcoming proleague season. I'm not going to announce the details until I see roughly what the proleague schedule looks like, but it should solve all these complaints of not enough English commentaries ;p
Ribbon
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States5278 Posts
October 05 2011 09:58 GMT
#268
On October 05 2011 17:53 Silidons wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 05 2011 16:03 Torpedo.Vegas wrote:
On October 05 2011 13:59 BrosephBrostar wrote:
On October 05 2011 09:35 Phyrigian wrote:
On October 05 2011 09:24 Torpedo.Vegas wrote:
If I may put this out there. Perhaps someone with some computer expertise could improve BW compatibility with today's machines. Like debug some interface issues that usually need various 3rd party mods to fix and create a clean concise package for quick and easy installation and play.

Another thing to consider is improving the quality of the sprites. BW has a distinct look to it, a look that is not helped by todays monitors and resolutions. I am not saying SC2 3D, that would be bad IMO considering how the AI works, but perhaps improving the quality and resolution of the in-game sprites to be more visually appealing outsiders, while still retaining that classic look and feel. I was thinking along the lines of taking a Zealot sprite for example, then perhaps doubling the pixel count with the extra pixels detailing and highlighting the original design.

I honestly think this is going to be a big hurdle for expansion that needs to (in some form) be addressed. What a 10 year BW vet sees and experiences, may not be what a potential newcomer sees and experiences, even if they are looking at the same game.



I've actually been thinking about this for a while. Something like Brood War 2. Like how valve is making DOTA 2. it'd be fucking awesome if someone made it. Everyone would consider the idea insane, considering the game still exists and SC2 is released, but idunno ,its just a cool idea in my head :3

A HD remake like Capcom has been doing with older Street Fighter games would be nice, but I don't think Blizzard actually wants people playing BW anymore.


Blizzard certainly won't do it, they are fully invested in the infrastructure of SC2. But I think this is something the community could do. I mean look at all the third party programs being developed for SC2 or third party support for games like Counter Strike or Elder Scrolls. That is a lot of coding skill being devoted to those games and that is not coming from the developer itself.

Also, this would be in essence a patch to BW, it wouldn't replace the game, but instead update it. Everything else remains the same (for better or worse), but its just a crisper, cleaner and more stable experience.

Personally I think it would be really really awesome if they had everything SC2 has mechanic wise (MBS, more units in a control group, etc etc) but with everything else being exactly like BW (units/cost/maps/buildings etc). They have SC2BW custom map right now but I don't really like it at all...things don't seem right on it, they even increased the size of everything so it feels like you're playing on the hella small res too.

The day I can play BW on 1920x1200 is the day I can die happily xD


I think the reverse would be way more useful as a "bridge": A mod where it was SC2 with BW mechanics enforced. And then people who found that fun would have an easier time transitioning into BW

(Plus I just want to play a map like that because it sounds fun )
Sayle
Profile Joined October 2010
United Kingdom3685 Posts
October 05 2011 10:02 GMT
#269
On October 05 2011 18:58 Ribbon wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 05 2011 17:53 Silidons wrote:
On October 05 2011 16:03 Torpedo.Vegas wrote:
On October 05 2011 13:59 BrosephBrostar wrote:
On October 05 2011 09:35 Phyrigian wrote:
On October 05 2011 09:24 Torpedo.Vegas wrote:
If I may put this out there. Perhaps someone with some computer expertise could improve BW compatibility with today's machines. Like debug some interface issues that usually need various 3rd party mods to fix and create a clean concise package for quick and easy installation and play.

Another thing to consider is improving the quality of the sprites. BW has a distinct look to it, a look that is not helped by todays monitors and resolutions. I am not saying SC2 3D, that would be bad IMO considering how the AI works, but perhaps improving the quality and resolution of the in-game sprites to be more visually appealing outsiders, while still retaining that classic look and feel. I was thinking along the lines of taking a Zealot sprite for example, then perhaps doubling the pixel count with the extra pixels detailing and highlighting the original design.

I honestly think this is going to be a big hurdle for expansion that needs to (in some form) be addressed. What a 10 year BW vet sees and experiences, may not be what a potential newcomer sees and experiences, even if they are looking at the same game.



I've actually been thinking about this for a while. Something like Brood War 2. Like how valve is making DOTA 2. it'd be fucking awesome if someone made it. Everyone would consider the idea insane, considering the game still exists and SC2 is released, but idunno ,its just a cool idea in my head :3

A HD remake like Capcom has been doing with older Street Fighter games would be nice, but I don't think Blizzard actually wants people playing BW anymore.


Blizzard certainly won't do it, they are fully invested in the infrastructure of SC2. But I think this is something the community could do. I mean look at all the third party programs being developed for SC2 or third party support for games like Counter Strike or Elder Scrolls. That is a lot of coding skill being devoted to those games and that is not coming from the developer itself.

Also, this would be in essence a patch to BW, it wouldn't replace the game, but instead update it. Everything else remains the same (for better or worse), but its just a crisper, cleaner and more stable experience.

Personally I think it would be really really awesome if they had everything SC2 has mechanic wise (MBS, more units in a control group, etc etc) but with everything else being exactly like BW (units/cost/maps/buildings etc). They have SC2BW custom map right now but I don't really like it at all...things don't seem right on it, they even increased the size of everything so it feels like you're playing on the hella small res too.

The day I can play BW on 1920x1200 is the day I can die happily xD


I think the reverse would be way more useful as a "bridge": A mod where it was SC2 with BW mechanics enforced. And then people who found that fun would have an easier time transitioning into BW

(Plus I just want to play a map like that because it sounds fun )


That already exists: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=145316
ImbaTosS
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United Kingdom1733 Posts
October 05 2011 10:04 GMT
#270
On October 05 2011 18:29 Sayle wrote:
I have a big project planned for the upcoming proleague season. I'm not going to announce the details until I see roughly what the proleague schedule looks like, but it should solve all these complaints of not enough English commentaries ;p

Oh Sayle, you teaser you :p
EleGant[AoV]
Game
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
3191 Posts
October 05 2011 10:15 GMT
#271
On October 05 2011 19:02 Sayle wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 05 2011 18:58 Ribbon wrote:
On October 05 2011 17:53 Silidons wrote:
On October 05 2011 16:03 Torpedo.Vegas wrote:
On October 05 2011 13:59 BrosephBrostar wrote:
On October 05 2011 09:35 Phyrigian wrote:
On October 05 2011 09:24 Torpedo.Vegas wrote:
If I may put this out there. Perhaps someone with some computer expertise could improve BW compatibility with today's machines. Like debug some interface issues that usually need various 3rd party mods to fix and create a clean concise package for quick and easy installation and play.

Another thing to consider is improving the quality of the sprites. BW has a distinct look to it, a look that is not helped by todays monitors and resolutions. I am not saying SC2 3D, that would be bad IMO considering how the AI works, but perhaps improving the quality and resolution of the in-game sprites to be more visually appealing outsiders, while still retaining that classic look and feel. I was thinking along the lines of taking a Zealot sprite for example, then perhaps doubling the pixel count with the extra pixels detailing and highlighting the original design.

I honestly think this is going to be a big hurdle for expansion that needs to (in some form) be addressed. What a 10 year BW vet sees and experiences, may not be what a potential newcomer sees and experiences, even if they are looking at the same game.



I've actually been thinking about this for a while. Something like Brood War 2. Like how valve is making DOTA 2. it'd be fucking awesome if someone made it. Everyone would consider the idea insane, considering the game still exists and SC2 is released, but idunno ,its just a cool idea in my head :3

A HD remake like Capcom has been doing with older Street Fighter games would be nice, but I don't think Blizzard actually wants people playing BW anymore.


Blizzard certainly won't do it, they are fully invested in the infrastructure of SC2. But I think this is something the community could do. I mean look at all the third party programs being developed for SC2 or third party support for games like Counter Strike or Elder Scrolls. That is a lot of coding skill being devoted to those games and that is not coming from the developer itself.

Also, this would be in essence a patch to BW, it wouldn't replace the game, but instead update it. Everything else remains the same (for better or worse), but its just a crisper, cleaner and more stable experience.

Personally I think it would be really really awesome if they had everything SC2 has mechanic wise (MBS, more units in a control group, etc etc) but with everything else being exactly like BW (units/cost/maps/buildings etc). They have SC2BW custom map right now but I don't really like it at all...things don't seem right on it, they even increased the size of everything so it feels like you're playing on the hella small res too.

The day I can play BW on 1920x1200 is the day I can die happily xD


I think the reverse would be way more useful as a "bridge": A mod where it was SC2 with BW mechanics enforced. And then people who found that fun would have an easier time transitioning into BW

(Plus I just want to play a map like that because it sounds fun )


That already exists: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=145316

That MOD makes goons smart. I helped a businessmen organize a showmatch of ex-BW megagosu's that play SC2 professionally to play on that MOD, and when one of them told me that goons are smart and tanks are balanced, I knew it was an inaccurate MOD. I'm pretty sure too, that Ribbon is aware of this MOD, and he means one with more accuracy. Hence the "BW mechanics enforced". However, something like this would be near impossible to do. Making units as dumb in SC2 as they are in BW would mean reverse engineering a lottt of shit, and you'd have to pay someone a lottt of money to do it.
SC is like sex. You should play often, but never too hard. And you should only try hard when it matters.
dementrio
Profile Joined November 2010
678 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-05 10:26:06
October 05 2011 10:25 GMT
#272
OTH I'm pretty sure you could add mbs and unlimited control groups to BW with little effort. But imo that's not really what makes bw hard; it's more akin to how in sc2 you can box your mineral line, press b-b click and ta-da you have a barracks. Something as simple as that would require major changes to unit ai and thus the whole game would be thrown off-balance
Ribbon
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States5278 Posts
October 05 2011 10:30 GMT
#273
On October 05 2011 19:02 Sayle wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 05 2011 18:58 Ribbon wrote:
On October 05 2011 17:53 Silidons wrote:
On October 05 2011 16:03 Torpedo.Vegas wrote:
On October 05 2011 13:59 BrosephBrostar wrote:
On October 05 2011 09:35 Phyrigian wrote:
On October 05 2011 09:24 Torpedo.Vegas wrote:
If I may put this out there. Perhaps someone with some computer expertise could improve BW compatibility with today's machines. Like debug some interface issues that usually need various 3rd party mods to fix and create a clean concise package for quick and easy installation and play.

Another thing to consider is improving the quality of the sprites. BW has a distinct look to it, a look that is not helped by todays monitors and resolutions. I am not saying SC2 3D, that would be bad IMO considering how the AI works, but perhaps improving the quality and resolution of the in-game sprites to be more visually appealing outsiders, while still retaining that classic look and feel. I was thinking along the lines of taking a Zealot sprite for example, then perhaps doubling the pixel count with the extra pixels detailing and highlighting the original design.

I honestly think this is going to be a big hurdle for expansion that needs to (in some form) be addressed. What a 10 year BW vet sees and experiences, may not be what a potential newcomer sees and experiences, even if they are looking at the same game.



I've actually been thinking about this for a while. Something like Brood War 2. Like how valve is making DOTA 2. it'd be fucking awesome if someone made it. Everyone would consider the idea insane, considering the game still exists and SC2 is released, but idunno ,its just a cool idea in my head :3

A HD remake like Capcom has been doing with older Street Fighter games would be nice, but I don't think Blizzard actually wants people playing BW anymore.


Blizzard certainly won't do it, they are fully invested in the infrastructure of SC2. But I think this is something the community could do. I mean look at all the third party programs being developed for SC2 or third party support for games like Counter Strike or Elder Scrolls. That is a lot of coding skill being devoted to those games and that is not coming from the developer itself.

Also, this would be in essence a patch to BW, it wouldn't replace the game, but instead update it. Everything else remains the same (for better or worse), but its just a crisper, cleaner and more stable experience.

Personally I think it would be really really awesome if they had everything SC2 has mechanic wise (MBS, more units in a control group, etc etc) but with everything else being exactly like BW (units/cost/maps/buildings etc). They have SC2BW custom map right now but I don't really like it at all...things don't seem right on it, they even increased the size of everything so it feels like you're playing on the hella small res too.

The day I can play BW on 1920x1200 is the day I can die happily xD


I think the reverse would be way more useful as a "bridge": A mod where it was SC2 with BW mechanics enforced. And then people who found that fun would have an easier time transitioning into BW

(Plus I just want to play a map like that because it sounds fun )


That already exists: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=145316


That's BW in the SC2 engine. Which is nifty, but I'm thinking of like only being able to have 12 marauders in a control group. SC2 units, BW mechanics. I think it's be neat, and potentially a good bridge, but we're starting to veer off topic so I'll shush about it
Black[CAT]
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Malaysia2589 Posts
October 05 2011 10:55 GMT
#274
I'm seeing more BW streams, this is good
You mean ESPORTS isnt a synonym for SC2? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ -Proud owner of a Filco Majestouch 2 with Cherry Blue Switches- BW or SC2? Why not both?
duncan.mc
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States231 Posts
October 05 2011 11:20 GMT
#275
On October 05 2011 18:29 Sayle wrote:
I have a big project planned for the upcoming proleague season. I'm not going to announce the details until I see roughly what the proleague schedule looks like, but it should solve all these complaints of not enough English commentaries ;p


Hyped!
djm858
Sawamura
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Malaysia7602 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-05 15:44:33
October 05 2011 11:23 GMT
#276
I want more koreans streams and oh by the way will upload lots of in to the msl vods on youtube ,I hope I can contribut to my home tl.net for giving me a forum where I can correspond with bw players and share the same passion.

I know I can't cast or play games now because of my landlord router which can't port forward to safe it's life , thought reinstalling a new firm ware and take the risk but it's just too riskly .In the meantime I think I can help out with the fpvod section . I am a total fpvod junkie , looking at fpvod always give me much more satisfaction that seeing girls when the camera is shoved at them and than they cover their face feeling embarassed ..

Fpvod is where the battle is truly experience.

here's my first share

Firebathero v Much





Ruby v Tempest (recommended for terran newbies )


More fpvods to come soon , hope my internet speed will stop trolling me so I can get things done faster
BW/KT Forever R.I.P KT.Violet dearly missed ..
Ricjames
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
Czech Republic1047 Posts
October 05 2011 12:23 GMT
#277
On October 05 2011 18:29 Sayle wrote:
I have a big project planned for the upcoming proleague season. I'm not going to announce the details until I see roughly what the proleague schedule looks like, but it should solve all these complaints of not enough English commentaries ;p


Oh god, please Sayle do the PL commentary, that would be so badass. I am sure everyone enjoys your vidid commentaries. As much as i love korean commentators, it is great to hear and understand someone talking about the game. It would also be really good for those guys new to watching bw and make it easier to understand which is our goal. I can't wait for the games already.

For people that don't know already - I am posting link to Nevake's youtube channel / Show me the MSL. Basically it is FPVODS of progamers from MSL.
http://www.youtube.com/nevake#g/c/01857E15C9C2620E
Brood War is the best RTS that has ever been created.
Sawamura
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Malaysia7602 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-05 15:48:12
October 05 2011 15:46 GMT
#278
On October 05 2011 21:23 Ricjames wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 05 2011 18:29 Sayle wrote:
I have a big project planned for the upcoming proleague season. I'm not going to announce the details until I see roughly what the proleague schedule looks like, but it should solve all these complaints of not enough English commentaries ;p


Oh god, please Sayle do the PL commentary, that would be so badass. I am sure everyone enjoys your vidid commentaries. As much as i love korean commentators, it is great to hear and understand someone talking about the game. It would also be really good for those guys new to watching bw and make it easier to understand which is our goal. I can't wait for the games already.

For people that don't know already - I am posting link to Nevake's youtube channel / Show me the MSL. Basically it is FPVODS of progamers from MSL.
http://www.youtube.com/nevake#g/c/01857E15C9C2620E


The source I have , has more games than what nevake has actually thanks anyway for the links .
BW/KT Forever R.I.P KT.Violet dearly missed ..
Ricjames
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
Czech Republic1047 Posts
October 05 2011 15:58 GMT
#279
On October 06 2011 00:46 Sawamura wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 05 2011 21:23 Ricjames wrote:
On October 05 2011 18:29 Sayle wrote:
I have a big project planned for the upcoming proleague season. I'm not going to announce the details until I see roughly what the proleague schedule looks like, but it should solve all these complaints of not enough English commentaries ;p


Oh god, please Sayle do the PL commentary, that would be so badass. I am sure everyone enjoys your vidid commentaries. As much as i love korean commentators, it is great to hear and understand someone talking about the game. It would also be really good for those guys new to watching bw and make it easier to understand which is our goal. I can't wait for the games already.

For people that don't know already - I am posting link to Nevake's youtube channel / Show me the MSL. Basically it is FPVODS of progamers from MSL.
http://www.youtube.com/nevake#g/c/01857E15C9C2620E


The source I have , has more games than what nevake has actually thanks anyway for the links .


Sawamura do you actually have all the vods on your disk or you have a source online? I think FPVODS are the greatest thing to watch and i would definately appreciate more sources. Mostly pros or semi-pros of course.
Brood War is the best RTS that has ever been created.
Sawamura
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Malaysia7602 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-05 16:12:19
October 05 2011 16:12 GMT
#280
On October 06 2011 00:58 Ricjames wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 06 2011 00:46 Sawamura wrote:
On October 05 2011 21:23 Ricjames wrote:
On October 05 2011 18:29 Sayle wrote:
I have a big project planned for the upcoming proleague season. I'm not going to announce the details until I see roughly what the proleague schedule looks like, but it should solve all these complaints of not enough English commentaries ;p


Oh god, please Sayle do the PL commentary, that would be so badass. I am sure everyone enjoys your vidid commentaries. As much as i love korean commentators, it is great to hear and understand someone talking about the game. It would also be really good for those guys new to watching bw and make it easier to understand which is our goal. I can't wait for the games already.

For people that don't know already - I am posting link to Nevake's youtube channel / Show me the MSL. Basically it is FPVODS of progamers from MSL.
http://www.youtube.com/nevake#g/c/01857E15C9C2620E


The source I have , has more games than what nevake has actually thanks anyway for the links .


Sawamura do you actually have all the vods on your disk or you have a source online? I think FPVODS are the greatest thing to watch and i would definately appreciate more sources. Mostly pros or semi-pros of course.


Seems like I missed the biggest one made in 2007 the fpvods were up to 20gb http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=64362&currentpage=2, However I will never stop uploading the current fpvods that I am trying to upload from wfbrood.com . Although it may not be at it's original format it's still watchable and good materials for newbies or pro's to watch . Yeah my source are online for now . Trying to get more currently.
BW/KT Forever R.I.P KT.Violet dearly missed ..
Prev 1 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Patches Events
00:00
Patch Clash S1 Special #1
RotterdaM1266
TKL 435
IndyStarCraft 285
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 1266
ByuN 525
TKL 435
IndyStarCraft 285
Reynor 175
BRAT_OK 53
EmSc Tv 8
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 34100
Calm 2624
Shuttle 388
Mini 161
White-Ra 110
firebathero 102
Mong 59
soO 19
scan(afreeca) 17
Sacsri 6
Dota 2
Gorgc9127
Counter-Strike
fl0m3184
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby3401
Liquid`Hasu463
MindelVK6
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi2304
FrodaN1523
B2W.Neo768
olofmeister617
Khaldor471
KnowMe257
Beastyqt228
crisheroes174
Livibee173
Mew2King74
ToD54
kaitlyn16
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick416
BasetradeTV214
StarCraft 2
EmSc Tv 8
EmSc2Tv 8
[ Show 20 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hinosc 28
• Adnapsc2 9
• Reevou 7
• niya90s 1
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Airneanach68
• Azhi_Dahaki22
• blackmanpl 22
• 80smullet 8
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV618
Other Games
• imaqtpie976
• Shiphtur696
• tFFMrPink 11
Upcoming Events
BSL Open Qualifier
25m
BSL Open Qualifier
25m
OSC
4h 25m
Replay Cast
4h 25m
OSC
17h 25m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 16h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
4 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.