• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:58
CEST 03:58
KST 10:58
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8424 users

[?] How much do progamer practice? - Page 6

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 4 5 6 All
Manifesto7
Profile Blog Joined November 2002
Osaka27178 Posts
March 27 2010 23:55 GMT
#101
On March 28 2010 08:48 lac29 wrote:
I haven't read all the comments ... but how much of those 12 hours or practice are really in-game practice and not talking to teammates/coaches/fooling around while still in the practice room?


If you read the thread, you will find out.
ModeratorGodfather
saltywet
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Hong Kong1316 Posts
March 29 2010 06:42 GMT
#102
wtf is a forum veteran? i get banned for calling biff a suckup when u can clearly see the change in the tone of his post with different people
RosaParksStoleMySeat
Profile Joined December 2009
Japan926 Posts
March 29 2010 07:04 GMT
#103
I can't imagine that past a certain point the practice helps someone all that much. Sitting at a computer for 10 hours a day playing game after game is simply not helpful. Practice is important, but saying that "practice makes perfect so practicing 10 hours a day is super" is completely immature and lacks an understanding of how the human brain and body operate.

Yeah, I know I'm not a progamer and will probably be flamed and strawmanned into oblivion for what I am saying here, but saying that the best way to improve at something is by doing it constantly is completely inaccurate. In Japan and Korea, that's what students are encouraged to do, and that is where their education systems are so flawed. As said before, a lot of the time spent in the progamer house is dedicated to strategy talks and reviewing replays, although I don't doubt that the players dedicate far too much time to in-game practice.

Hot_Bid
Profile Blog Joined October 2003
Braavos36402 Posts
March 29 2010 07:19 GMT
#104
On March 29 2010 16:04 RosaParksStoleMySeat wrote:
I can't imagine that past a certain point the practice helps someone all that much. Sitting at a computer for 10 hours a day playing game after game is simply not helpful. Practice is important, but saying that "practice makes perfect so practicing 10 hours a day is super" is completely immature and lacks an understanding of how the human brain and body operate.

Yeah, I know I'm not a progamer and will probably be flamed and strawmanned into oblivion for what I am saying here, but saying that the best way to improve at something is by doing it constantly is completely inaccurate. In Japan and Korea, that's what students are encouraged to do, and that is where their education systems are so flawed. As said before, a lot of the time spent in the progamer house is dedicated to strategy talks and reviewing replays, although I don't doubt that the players dedicate far too much time to in-game practice.

A lot of progamers have said Jaedong's consistency and skill is largely due to his ridiculous ability to practice crazy hours without stopping or getting tired.
@Hot_Bid on Twitter - ESPORTS life since 2010 - http://i.imgur.com/U2psw.png
Boonbag
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
France3318 Posts
March 29 2010 07:34 GMT
#105
On March 29 2010 16:19 Hot_Bid wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 29 2010 16:04 RosaParksStoleMySeat wrote:
I can't imagine that past a certain point the practice helps someone all that much. Sitting at a computer for 10 hours a day playing game after game is simply not helpful. Practice is important, but saying that "practice makes perfect so practicing 10 hours a day is super" is completely immature and lacks an understanding of how the human brain and body operate.

Yeah, I know I'm not a progamer and will probably be flamed and strawmanned into oblivion for what I am saying here, but saying that the best way to improve at something is by doing it constantly is completely inaccurate. In Japan and Korea, that's what students are encouraged to do, and that is where their education systems are so flawed. As said before, a lot of the time spent in the progamer house is dedicated to strategy talks and reviewing replays, although I don't doubt that the players dedicate far too much time to in-game practice.

A lot of progamers have said Jaedong's consistency and skill is largely due to his ridiculous ability to practice crazy hours without stopping or getting tired.



And not fucking up when beeing on tv wich seems like a curse for 80% of these labourish gamers
buickskylark
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Canada664 Posts
March 29 2010 07:46 GMT
#106
On March 29 2010 16:04 RosaParksStoleMySeat wrote:
I can't imagine that past a certain point the practice helps someone all that much. Sitting at a computer for 10 hours a day playing game after game is simply not helpful. Practice is important, but saying that "practice makes perfect so practicing 10 hours a day is super" is completely immature and lacks an understanding of how the human brain and body operate.

Yeah, I know I'm not a progamer and will probably be flamed and strawmanned into oblivion for what I am saying here, but saying that the best way to improve at something is by doing it constantly is completely inaccurate. In Japan and Korea, that's what students are encouraged to do, and that is where their education systems are so flawed. As said before, a lot of the time spent in the progamer house is dedicated to strategy talks and reviewing replays, although I don't doubt that the players dedicate far too much time to in-game practice.



i wonder if there is such a thing as a perfect game. when is practice enough? How does someone like Jaedong, or Flash, who probably wins every game, knows they're improving?
Hot_Bid
Profile Blog Joined October 2003
Braavos36402 Posts
March 29 2010 08:05 GMT
#107
On March 29 2010 16:34 Boonbag wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 29 2010 16:19 Hot_Bid wrote:
On March 29 2010 16:04 RosaParksStoleMySeat wrote:
I can't imagine that past a certain point the practice helps someone all that much. Sitting at a computer for 10 hours a day playing game after game is simply not helpful. Practice is important, but saying that "practice makes perfect so practicing 10 hours a day is super" is completely immature and lacks an understanding of how the human brain and body operate.

Yeah, I know I'm not a progamer and will probably be flamed and strawmanned into oblivion for what I am saying here, but saying that the best way to improve at something is by doing it constantly is completely inaccurate. In Japan and Korea, that's what students are encouraged to do, and that is where their education systems are so flawed. As said before, a lot of the time spent in the progamer house is dedicated to strategy talks and reviewing replays, although I don't doubt that the players dedicate far too much time to in-game practice.

A lot of progamers have said Jaedong's consistency and skill is largely due to his ridiculous ability to practice crazy hours without stopping or getting tired.


And not fucking up when beeing on tv wich seems like a curse for 80% of these labourish gamers

yeah but practice to the point of instinct/second nature means less chance of choking, your hands and subconscious just do it all for you... that or excessive practice puts extra pressure on you causing you to choke

haha

@Hot_Bid on Twitter - ESPORTS life since 2010 - http://i.imgur.com/U2psw.png
Boonbag
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
France3318 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-03-29 08:13:30
March 29 2010 08:13 GMT
#108
On March 29 2010 17:05 Hot_Bid wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 29 2010 16:34 Boonbag wrote:
On March 29 2010 16:19 Hot_Bid wrote:
On March 29 2010 16:04 RosaParksStoleMySeat wrote:
I can't imagine that past a certain point the practice helps someone all that much. Sitting at a computer for 10 hours a day playing game after game is simply not helpful. Practice is important, but saying that "practice makes perfect so practicing 10 hours a day is super" is completely immature and lacks an understanding of how the human brain and body operate.

Yeah, I know I'm not a progamer and will probably be flamed and strawmanned into oblivion for what I am saying here, but saying that the best way to improve at something is by doing it constantly is completely inaccurate. In Japan and Korea, that's what students are encouraged to do, and that is where their education systems are so flawed. As said before, a lot of the time spent in the progamer house is dedicated to strategy talks and reviewing replays, although I don't doubt that the players dedicate far too much time to in-game practice.

A lot of progamers have said Jaedong's consistency and skill is largely due to his ridiculous ability to practice crazy hours without stopping or getting tired.


And not fucking up when beeing on tv wich seems like a curse for 80% of these labourish gamers

yeah but practice to the point of instinct/second nature means less chance of choking, your hands and subconscious just do it all for you... that or excessive practice puts extra pressure on you causing you to choke

haha



Yeah exactly. Not to add the feeling of beeing far superior to someone and because of that feeling, fucking up even more. "Wtf I'm so good and I can't show any of my skill" thought must be terrible to experience. I've seen this myself destroying a bunch of the finest players I ever met and it's depressing to see happen.

I think I remember Chojja had nerve problems, like, in the pc room, he would rape any top player several times in a row and then not even showing half the skill he had on TV.
RosaParksStoleMySeat
Profile Joined December 2009
Japan926 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-03-29 14:51:28
March 29 2010 14:50 GMT
#109
A lot of progamers have said Jaedong's consistency and skill is largely due to his ridiculous ability to practice crazy hours without stopping or getting tired.


I am sure that his endurance is a vital factor in his success. Considering the fact that after a certain point practice can be a self-defeating exercise, he probably experiences less exhaustion than other players (or would if he didn't have to carry Oz).

I think that the greats hold something else though. They probably hold multiple characteristics, as Iloveoov and Boxer are two completely different yet equally successful players, but I think that some they have in common would be low anxiety and a capability to reflect for improvement. I do not believe that neither we nor they improve most in-game, but in instances where they can look back on their games and see what they can do better.

i wonder if there is such a thing as a perfect game. when is practice enough? How does someone like Jaedong, or Flash, who probably wins every game, knows they're improving?


Practice alone is never enough.

Think about it. Back in the day when I first played Unreal Tournament in single player, I practiced constantly. My aim against the computer got to ridiculous levels, and I was able to faceroll my way through even the hardest modes. When I went online to play, I got completely and utterly smashed. I could barely even get a kill off.

What was wrong with my play online? Well, I had to learn how to play against human players. My aim did not improve much in that time, but my tactics and ability to adjust my aim for their movements did. I did this by thinking about how I could have avoided that death, wondered why I couldn't kill him before he killed me, and so on. I came up with reasons. If you ask me, progamers do improve their game mechanics and game sense through practice, but do so far better through a review/reflection/discussion of key games. I can only hope that such techniques are used in the gamer house.
IdrA
Profile Blog Joined July 2004
United States11541 Posts
March 29 2010 15:10 GMT
#110
On March 29 2010 17:05 Hot_Bid wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 29 2010 16:34 Boonbag wrote:
On March 29 2010 16:19 Hot_Bid wrote:
On March 29 2010 16:04 RosaParksStoleMySeat wrote:
I can't imagine that past a certain point the practice helps someone all that much. Sitting at a computer for 10 hours a day playing game after game is simply not helpful. Practice is important, but saying that "practice makes perfect so practicing 10 hours a day is super" is completely immature and lacks an understanding of how the human brain and body operate.

Yeah, I know I'm not a progamer and will probably be flamed and strawmanned into oblivion for what I am saying here, but saying that the best way to improve at something is by doing it constantly is completely inaccurate. In Japan and Korea, that's what students are encouraged to do, and that is where their education systems are so flawed. As said before, a lot of the time spent in the progamer house is dedicated to strategy talks and reviewing replays, although I don't doubt that the players dedicate far too much time to in-game practice.

A lot of progamers have said Jaedong's consistency and skill is largely due to his ridiculous ability to practice crazy hours without stopping or getting tired.


And not fucking up when beeing on tv wich seems like a curse for 80% of these labourish gamers

yeah but practice to the point of instinct/second nature means less chance of choking, your hands and subconscious just do it all for you... that or excessive practice puts extra pressure on you causing you to choke

haha


getting so good that you can choke and still win is the best way to go about it.
http://www.splitreason.com/product/1152 release the gracken tshirt now available
Prev 1 4 5 6 All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
PiGosaur Cup
09:00
#102
CranKy Ducklings94
davetesta34
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ByuN 290
WinterStarcraft221
RuFF_SC2 114
CosmosSc2 77
ViBE61
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2233
GuemChi 1380
Artosis 585
910 52
MaD[AoV]20
Bale 16
Sharp 12
Dota 2
monkeys_forever360
LuMiX1
Counter-Strike
taco 556
minikerr13
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox711
Other Games
summit1g9162
Day[9].tv775
shahzam656
JimRising 629
C9.Mang0367
Trikslyr28
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick731
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream22
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP44
• EnkiAlexander 37
• Hinosc 6
• Letter145
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Day9tv775
• Shiphtur645
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
14h 2m
The PondCast
1d 8h
INu's Battles
1d 9h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 20h
Replay Cast
1d 21h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.