• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:56
CEST 03:56
KST 10:56
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8352 users

[?] How much do progamer practice?

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
buickskylark
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Canada664 Posts
March 01 2010 19:03 GMT
#1
I read somewhere that progamers practice 10 hours or something, but it is only second hand source. does anyone have links to articles or even to other threads that mention how much practice?> I'd really like some primary sources, preferable out of interviews where they mention how much they actually practice.

thanks.
StarN
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
United States2587 Posts
March 01 2010 19:04 GMT
#2
Idra states in his interviews that in the CJ house they HAVE to practice somewhere between 10-12 hrs a day. You can probably find it using the search function yourself.
Retired BW Noob
Stropheum
Profile Joined January 2010
United States1124 Posts
March 01 2010 19:05 GMT
#3
I was watching hyungjun becomes a progamer. In it, shark tells him that they practice 9 hours a day, not including time for lunch. Also, most players stay several hours above their required time if they feel they need to train more
buickskylark
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Canada664 Posts
March 01 2010 19:07 GMT
#4
9-10 hours? That is utterly insane. Most athletes don't train that much.
FortuneSyn
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
1826 Posts
March 01 2010 19:09 GMT
#5
On March 02 2010 04:07 buickskylark wrote:
9-10 hours? That is utterly insane. Most athletes don't train that much.


they would if their bodies could take it, but they don't because their bodies can't.
StarN
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
United States2587 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-03-01 19:10:15
March 01 2010 19:09 GMT
#6
On March 02 2010 04:07 buickskylark wrote:
9-10 hours? That is utterly insane. Most athletes don't train that much.

difference is that there isn't as much physical strain with e-sports as opposed to sports. If you practice too much soccer or Cage Fighting then you get warn out that it becomes a detriment to your health.

Any competitive activity that doesn't have that physical strain people generally tend to train longer hours and it's more dependent on how strong your mental focus is.

Many Pianists I know at my music school practice 8-10 hours a day (even though that itself is very difficult on your wrists at a certain point)
Retired BW Noob
rkarhu
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
Finland570 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-03-01 19:15:03
March 01 2010 19:14 GMT
#7
On March 02 2010 04:07 buickskylark wrote:
9-10 hours? That is utterly insane. Most athletes don't train that much.


That's because you cant really push yourself that hard physically if you want to improve. Even a top atlethes body cant take more than 4 hours of physically demanding exercise per day (not every day) and even that is borderline risky. Of course this isn't factoring the recovering exercises in (stretching and so on).

Then again I question the 10-12 hours per day training. I think that much training will affect your mental and physical condition to a degree that you wont play to your fullest. I believe that recovery and relaxing is important in esports too (if for nothing else then for your motivation).

edit: beat to it, 2 times actually :_P
Biff The Understudy
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
France8195 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-03-01 19:20:58
March 01 2010 19:17 GMT
#8
I do think that they exagerate, and I don't believe that most progamers practice 12 hours a day.

I am a musician, and I can tell you that practicing 10 hours in one day is basically spending all your time on it. Not going outside, not meeting friends. Practice, eat, take a shower, make one or two breaks not to become a zombi every two/three hours, and your day is over.

I know it is not the same, because playing a music instrument (except maybe piano, where at least you sit) is wayyyy more tiring and physical than playing starcraft, and you need much more breaks. Most people can't practice more than 5-6 hours in one day.

Now theses people play tournaments, they have to go there, to wait, they watch games, they chat on the internet and with friends at least a little bit, they do some gym, even a minimum, and sometimes they give interview. That makes a 12 hours on a daily basis straight impossible.

So I guess a good guess would be an average of 8 - 10 hours for the most crazy ones of actually playing the game.
The fellow who is out to burn things up is the counterpart of the fool who thinks he can save the world. The world needs neither to be burned up nor to be saved. The world is, we are. Transients, if we buck it; here to stay if we accept it. ~H.Miller
buickskylark
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Canada664 Posts
March 01 2010 19:22 GMT
#9
On March 02 2010 04:09 StarN wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 02 2010 04:07 buickskylark wrote:
9-10 hours? That is utterly insane. Most athletes don't train that much.

difference is that there isn't as much physical strain with e-sports as opposed to sports. If you practice too much soccer or Cage Fighting then you get warn out that it becomes a detriment to your health.

Any competitive activity that doesn't have that physical strain people generally tend to train longer hours and it's more dependent on how strong your mental focus is.

Many Pianists I know at my music school practice 8-10 hours a day (even though that itself is very difficult on your wrists at a certain point)


do u go to a musical school? Do you yourself practice 8-10 hours?

Piy
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
Scotland3152 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-03-01 19:27:11
March 01 2010 19:23 GMT
#10
+ Show Spoiler +
On March 02 2010 04:17 Biff The Understudy wrote:
I do think that they exagerate, and I don't believe that most progamers practice 12 hours a day.

I am a musician, and I can tell you that practicing 10 hours in one day is basically spending all your time on it. Not going outside, not meeting friends. Practice, eat, take a shower, make one or two breaks not to become a zombi every two/three hours, and your day is over.

I know it is not the same, because playing a music instrument (except maybe piano, where at least you sit) is wayyyy more tiring and physical than playing starcraft, and you need much more breaks. Most people can't practice more than 5-6 hours in one day.

Now theses people play tournaments, they have to go there, to wait, they watch games, they chat on the internet and with friends at least a little bit, they do some gym, even a minimum, and sometimes they give interview. That makes a 12 hours on a daily basis straight impossible.

So I guess a good guess would be an average of 8 - 10 hours for the most crazy ones of actually playing the game.



Ummm, they aren't exaggerating. That is all they do. Many pianists and classical guitar players play upwards of 8-10 hours daily. That is all they do.

The A-teamers may get away with less, but I doubt it. Probably never less than 8 if they are a "serious" team member.

I remember reading that John Coltrane (jazz musician I imagine you've heard of) would often practice 12-14 hours a day. And that's a lot of physical exertion playing saxophone that much.
My. Copy. Is. Here.
WheelOfTime
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Canada331 Posts
March 01 2010 19:26 GMT
#11
On March 02 2010 04:17 Biff The Understudy wrote:
I do think that they exagerate, and I don't believe that most progamers practice 12 hours a day.

I am a musician, and I can tell you that practicing 10 hours in one day is basically spending all your time on it.

Most people can't practice more than 5-6 hours in one day.


You fail quite hard. Clearly, you're not a very good musician, and you're pretty narrow-sighted for thinking "Most people can't practice more than 5-6 hours in one day".

24 hrs in a day, with 7 hrs going to sleep and 3 hrs for food/breaks/washroom, that's still 14 hours of practice everyday.

Hell, I know music majors who practice their instruments 12 hrs and study for 4 hrs a day consistently.

Just because you don't have enough willpower and are narrow-sighted, doesn't mean everyone else is.
NonY
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
8751 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-03-01 19:29:24
March 01 2010 19:28 GMT
#12
On March 02 2010 04:17 Biff The Understudy wrote:
I do think that they exagerate, and I don't believe that most progamers practice 12 hours a day.

I am a musician, and I can tell you that practicing 10 hours in one day is basically spending all your time on it. Not going outside, not meeting friends. Practice, eat, take a shower, make one or two breaks not to become a zombi every two/three hours, and your day is over.

I know it is not the same, because playing a music instrument (except maybe piano, where at least you sit) is wayyyy more tiring and physical than playing starcraft, and you need much more breaks. Most people can't practice more than 5-6 hours in one day.

Now theses people play tournaments, they have to go there, to wait, they watch games, they chat on the internet and with friends at least a little bit, they do some gym, even a minimum, and sometimes they give interview. That makes a 12 hours on a daily basis straight impossible.

So I guess a good guess would be an average of 8 - 10 hours for the most crazy ones of actually playing the game.

estro had 11 hours mandatory. b-team would get half a day off about once a week. a-team would sometimes get full days off and they'd also all travel to proleague matches.

some people like nsp_action and say[join] would play during their break times so they'd play 12+ hours in a day

it's my opinion that training that many hours isn't optimal. but it is the standard method in korea and it gets results
"Fucking up is part of it. If you can't fail, you have to always win. And I don't think you can always win." Elliott Smith ---------- Yet no sudden rage darkened his face, and his eyes were calm as they studied her. Then he smiled. 'Witness.'
buickskylark
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Canada664 Posts
March 01 2010 19:29 GMT
#13
as an underachiever, i can't fathom the dedication it takes to follow such a schedule. I don't have that 'it', or even begin to understand what 'it' is. There's a lot of things I love to do but I can't imagine doing something for 10 hours a day everyday. I would go nuts.
Saturnize
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
United States2473 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-03-01 19:29:44
March 01 2010 19:29 GMT
#14
On March 02 2010 04:09 FortuneSyn wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 02 2010 04:07 buickskylark wrote:
9-10 hours? That is utterly insane. Most athletes don't train that much.


they would if their bodies could take it, but they don't because their bodies can't.


What's your point...?
"Time to put the mustard on the hotdog. -_-"
T.O.P. *
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Hong Kong4685 Posts
March 01 2010 19:41 GMT
#15
In the Hyungjoon show. They say that many progamers practice 14 hours a day because you need to practice that much to be competitive in proleague.
Oracle comes in, Scvs go down, never a miscommunication.
buickskylark
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Canada664 Posts
March 01 2010 19:46 GMT
#16
anyone know what they are doing for these number of hours? Can't be all just playing games. I don't see how you can learn like that.
Nub4ever
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Canada1981 Posts
March 01 2010 19:49 GMT
#17
some days I can play up to 10 hours of SC per day T_T I still suck
Dota 3hard5me
r4j2ill
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
Canada111 Posts
March 01 2010 19:49 GMT
#18
lol i would get bored of starcraft if i had to play it longer than 2 hours continuously. it looks all glamous and cool but a life of progamer is sad ;D only some actually make it to true success
The enemy of my enemy of my enemy is my enemy but his enemy is my friend ;D - r4j2ill
[DUF]MethodMan
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
Germany1716 Posts
March 01 2010 19:59 GMT
#19
On March 02 2010 04:49 r4j2ill wrote:
lol i would get bored of starcraft if i had to play it longer than 2 hours continuously. it looks all glamous and cool but a life of professional athletes is sad ;D only some actually make it to true success


fixed
Biff The Understudy
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
France8195 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-03-01 20:09:10
March 01 2010 20:01 GMT
#20
On March 02 2010 04:26 WheelOfTime wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 02 2010 04:17 Biff The Understudy wrote:
I do think that they exagerate, and I don't believe that most progamers practice 12 hours a day.

I am a musician, and I can tell you that practicing 10 hours in one day is basically spending all your time on it.

Most people can't practice more than 5-6 hours in one day.


You fail quite hard. Clearly, you're not a very good musician, and you're pretty narrow-sighted for thinking "Most people can't practice more than 5-6 hours in one day".

24 hrs in a day, with 7 hrs going to sleep and 3 hrs for food/breaks/washroom, that's still 14 hours of practice everyday.

Hell, I know music majors who practice their instruments 12 hrs and study for 4 hrs a day consistently.

Just because you don't have enough willpower and are narrow-sighted, doesn't mean everyone else is.

Sigh.

If you don't know what you are talking about, don't make dumb judgements. I am not narrow sighted, and I am training in one of the best music school in Europe. So maybe I know better than you what I talk about. And I have been playing in top orchestras, with top players.

Have you played, let say, viola, once in your life? No. So let me tell you, most musicians arounds me don't have the muscles and the physical endurance to practice more than 5-6 hours regularly. If not they just break their back. Because when you are a 1 metre 60 japanese lady, you have limits, physical limits.

You can play in orchestra 9 hours a day, because in orchestra you don't actually play all the time and you are sit down. Personnal practice means playing often very intensely most of the time. I can practice uo to eught hours, and I am healthy. More than that, I fall apart. And someone like Auer, I know you have never heard about him was saying his students, like Heifetz or Milstein, not more than 5 hours violin a day, because more is destructive.

If you have the muscles to practice a violin Brahms concerto or something like that 11 hours a day, that's good for you. I tell you that most people can't.

Now my point that to practice 8 hours, you need to block 10 or 11 hours of youur time. Because you need breaks, even if you are superman, both for your body and your mind. And in a life, you need to do some other stuff. Like Shopping to eat, make your fucking lundery, go to college, and do administrrative stuff. And meet friends from time to time, take lessons in college, walk from one place to another, relax a little bit, cook, etc etc etc etc etc etc So unless you sleep 3 hours a day, practicing 12 hours on a regular basis is plain impossible.

So please, just shut up instead of saying stupid thinks.
The fellow who is out to burn things up is the counterpart of the fool who thinks he can save the world. The world needs neither to be burned up nor to be saved. The world is, we are. Transients, if we buck it; here to stay if we accept it. ~H.Miller
1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
PiGosaur Cup
09:00
#102
CranKy Ducklings95
davetesta39
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ByuN 277
WinterStarcraft199
RuFF_SC2 93
CosmosSc2 76
ViBE47
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2205
GuemChi 1416
Artosis 529
910 45
Bale 19
MaD[AoV]19
Dota 2
monkeys_forever369
LuMiX1
Counter-Strike
taco 524
minikerr11
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox843
Other Games
summit1g9020
Day[9].tv775
shahzam641
JimRising 616
C9.Mang0381
Trikslyr32
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick552
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream20
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP42
• EnkiAlexander 30
• Hinosc 6
• Letter146
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Day9tv775
• Shiphtur642
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
14h 4m
The PondCast
1d 8h
INu's Battles
1d 9h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 20h
Replay Cast
1d 21h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.