• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:39
CEST 16:39
KST 23:39
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site BSL Season 23 Klaucher discontinued / in-game color settings BW General Discussion Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8132 users

US Politics Feedback Thread - Page 339

Forum Index > Website Feedback
Post a Reply
Prev 1 337 338 339 340 341 345 Next
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44352 Posts
Last Edited: 2025-10-10 17:00:49
October 10 2025 15:39 GMT
#6761
re:razyda

https://tl.net/forum/general/532255-us-politics-mega-thread?page=5223#104444
On September 13 2025 02:50 GoShox (summarized after the Kirk murder):
Online radicalization of these shooters needs to be taken seriously by the government.
On September 13 2025 02:58 KwarK (flippantly speaking on behalf of a fascist government that is unashamedly exploiting the murder to raise the temperature):
Best I can do is ramp up the partisan rhetoric against the enemy.

Dunno really what to say here. You made an attempt with the toolkit available to you.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
Nebuchad
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
Switzerland12552 Posts
October 10 2025 15:55 GMT
#6762
I'd side with Wombat personally, we could use a little more moderation. Behaviors like that of JimmiC we can tolerate, it's possible, but really we shouldn't be asked to.
No will to live, no wish to die
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27450 Posts
October 10 2025 15:59 GMT
#6763
On October 11 2025 00:55 Nebuchad wrote:
I'd side with Wombat personally, we could use a little more moderation. Behaviors like that of JimmiC we can tolerate, it's possible, but really we shouldn't be asked to.

Personally I’d prefer to be told to fuck off and that I’m an idiot than get called an anti-Semite, but perhaps that’s just me.
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
Razyda
Profile Joined March 2013
1059 Posts
October 10 2025 17:20 GMT
#6764
On October 11 2025 00:39 KwarK wrote:
https://tl.net/forum/general/532255-us-politics-mega-thread?page=5223#104444
Show nested quote +
On September 13 2025 02:50 GoShox (summarized after the Kirk murder):
Online radicalization of these shooters needs to be taken seriously by the government.
Show nested quote +
On September 13 2025 02:58 KwarK (flippantly speaking on behalf of a fascist government that is unashamedly exploiting the murder to raise the temperature):
Best I can do is ramp up the partisan rhetoric against the enemy.

Dunno really what to say here. You made an attempt with the toolkit available to you.


Fair enough, admittedly it would've helped if in the original post quote or @ were used.
LegalLord
Profile Blog Joined April 2013
United States13779 Posts
Last Edited: 2025-10-10 18:31:15
October 10 2025 18:12 GMT
#6765
Having had this discussion out, I do think there is near-universal consensus that any average person posting the way Kwark does would have been actioned at least occasionally. Credit to Mr. Powers on compiling the list he did of problematic posts a few pages back - it's a very good one, and clearly it struck a chord with quite a few people here.

Where things seem to diverge is in how to handle this reality. I would say that there seem to be roughly three camps that people fall into:

1. The moderation team should do something about this posting.
2. Posting standards are altogether too strict and should generally be relaxed.
3. Kwark's posts are more problematic than average, but I like the guy so I'm fine with the leeway he gets.

I'd like to ask the staff that actually monitors this thread: which camp do you, as a moderation team, fall into?

If the answer is (1), then one would reasonably expect something to be done about it. Perhaps that would involve removing Kwark's moderator status, and issuing warnings and bans as appropriate for posts that cross the line. Or, alternatively, maintaining that moderator status, but having the appropriate discussions behind closed doors that lead to a real, visible, and lasting improvement in behavior. Most moderators, including those that participate in politics discussions, do act quite professionally, so perhaps it'd make sense to make sure they all do? I'm sure that either approach would satisfy the core complaint.

If the answer is (2), then perhaps there could be some steps taken to reflect an overall relaxation in the rules as applied to politics. Unban people like xDaunt, Danglars, Doodsmack, and so on - the many folks who, over the years, had been banned for posts they made within the politics threads. Make it clear that, although Kwark is free to make comments such as this closing one-liner, that others are free to hurl insults in kind right back at him. Generally make it clear that aggressive and hostile posting is allowed not conditionally, but universally, within the politics threads. I think a lot of people wouldn't be too fond of this, but I know a "free-for-all" approach has its fans.

If the answer is (3), then that's on its face playing favorites and a double standard. But at the same time, it's pretty much the status quo.

I would like to add that I really hope that the status quo nature of (3) is more so the result of inaction than a deliberate decision by the TL staff to permit misbehavior amongst their ranks. In just about every other context, said staff is very clear about how much they value their own professionalism, and it seems odd to make an exception here. For example, although the discussions in the Brood War forums occasionally managed to get quite heated, I cannot remember any moderator whose posting was as problematic as Kwark's politics posts, nor do I expect such a moderator would remain a moderator for very long. I suspect the same would be true for the boards for SC2 or any of the other games, but I have very little direct experience with those.

Despite the flimsy argument to the contrary, it's quite clear that the status of "staff" provides significant immunity from being moderated - it was made clear that a big motivation for removing the staff status of xDaunt and StealthBlue was desire to be able to freely moderate them in the future. Further, moderators are both able to ban individuals and be involved in overall moderation decision-making. Despite claims of being "not involved in politics moderation," Kwark enjoys the standard staff immunity from being moderated, occasionally hands out bans in the politics threads as part of settling a grudge, and very clearly involves himself in at least some of the larger-scale moderation decision-making behind the scenes. There simply is no credible case that his moderator status is irrelevant here.

In short, the current reality is that we have an individual who maintains the privileges associated with moderator status, without fulfilling the responsibility of general professionalism that every other moderator seems to have no trouble with. There is a split consensus on how bad Kwark's posting is, and yet there is general consensus that no average person would be allowed to post the same way with no consequences. My personal opinion is that, although I find much of his posting unpleasant, there have been other individuals whose posting is worse. But it is precisely the double standard created by his moderator status that causes this to be so contentious.

Maintaining the status quo of (3) means that we'll continue to have this problem indefinitely. There are several ways to solve this, as highlighted above, not all of which necessitate removing moderator status. Quite a few people would appreciate if, rather than just pretending the problem doesn't exist, the moderation staff would one way or another handle the problem.
History will sooner or later sweep the European Union away without mercy.
ChristianS
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States3304 Posts
Last Edited: 2025-10-10 19:04:17
October 10 2025 19:00 GMT
#6766
I don’t think your (1), (2) and (3) are very honest summaries of the viewpoints on this issue. Notably excluded is anybody whose opinion is “I don’t think Kwark would be actioned if he were just a veteran poster who wasn’t a mod,” which is kinda pre-assuming your conclusion imo. That would be my position, unless we interpret “actioned” broadly enough to include “informal warnings from staff asking you to try to post better” which he’s arguably received, in this very thread!

Edit: I’m in favor of bringing back Danglars though, if he’s still interested. xDaunt I assume is in some public office by now and doesn’t have time to troll us any more, and Doodsmack has already come back to troll us under alt IDs a bunch of times, hasn’t he?
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Robert J. Hanlon
Sermokala
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States14211 Posts
October 10 2025 19:12 GMT
#6767
I mean even in LL's argumentation, as many problems as it has, hes still offering logical support to kwarks mod status being a good thing in the thread by making people not respond to him as they would respond to others. Theres no argument made about, nor even hinted at, other people posting worse beacuse of Kwarks mod status. What the argument that LL makes is to encourage people to make the thread worse by hurling even more incendiary language at each other. Even he doesn't make any argument towards a real double standard, only that there is a perceived double standard because people like him don't feel free to insult Kwark the way they want to.

If you're going to construct an argument based on doing a thing, and you want that thing to happen, you need to make an argument how that would improve anything. It just comes off as holding a petty grudge that you've now come back thinking you can take advantage of a conversation.
A wise man will say that he knows nothing. We're gona party like its 2752 Hail Dark Brandon
Liquid`Drone
Profile Joined September 2002
Norway28900 Posts
October 10 2025 19:27 GMT
#6768
Good moderation is preferable to no moderation but no moderation is preferable to bad moderation, and good moderation (perceived as such by nearly everybody) is very hard because: You need to be free of personal and political bias to be a just and fair arbiter, but you also need to have observed the tendencies of various posters over a multitude of posts, and you need to be quite intimately familiar with american politics to be able to discern whether people are, for example, arguing in good faith. Yeah you can make and enforce some basic rules like don't insult people but then I happen to agree with Neb that people being angry is actually preferable over them being apathetic and sometimes, insults are warranted, especially in today's political climate. If this were the 'Norwegian politics megathread', the standard of posting would have to be different as maintaining decorum to avoid increased polarization would be a priority, but in the US, decorum is dead because the president is one of the world's biggest cunts and that's just how it is. The fact is, US politics, Israel/Palestine, Russia/Ukraine are all topics where anger is justified and to be expected. The EU and UK megathreads are much more civil - and this isn't because the moderation is any different, it's because the topics are.

Essentially, to moderate fairly, you need to, somehow, read these threads, be informed, yet impartial. My experience is that nobody who is informed regarding US politics, the russian invasion of Ukraine, or Israel/Gaza is impartial, and thus, we're largely choosing between bad moderation or no moderation (aside from stuff like cleaning up spam or slurs which can be done without intimate knowledge). I don't really have the time or energy to make an effort tbh, so atm I'm leaning no moderation, but I guess maybe a course correction will happen at some point - if no moderation has left the place so bad that bad moderation is preferable. Amusingly enough I guess that's kind of a relevant political parallel - is unfair police better or worse than no police (where the answer largely depends on how prevalent crime is), but oh well, I digress. Maybe AI could do a decent enough job if we gave highly specific instructions.

In the context of Kwark there's no question he occasionally/frequently (seems to go in phases, tbh) steps over the line - the main problem isn't the insults, but the repeated needling - but my opinion is also that his quality posts are amazing and while it'd be preferable if he could keep those up without the trashy ones I also don't want to neuter him.
Moderator
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44352 Posts
October 10 2025 21:40 GMT
#6769
I'm not sure who I am occasionally banning.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27450 Posts
October 10 2025 21:58 GMT
#6770
On October 11 2025 04:27 Liquid`Drone wrote:
Good moderation is preferable to no moderation but no moderation is preferable to bad moderation, and good moderation (perceived as such by nearly everybody) is very hard because: You need to be free of personal and political bias to be a just and fair arbiter, but you also need to have observed the tendencies of various posters over a multitude of posts, and you need to be quite intimately familiar with american politics to be able to discern whether people are, for example, arguing in good faith. Yeah you can make and enforce some basic rules like don't insult people but then I happen to agree with Neb that people being angry is actually preferable over them being apathetic and sometimes, insults are warranted, especially in today's political climate. If this were the 'Norwegian politics megathread', the standard of posting would have to be different as maintaining decorum to avoid increased polarization would be a priority, but in the US, decorum is dead because the president is one of the world's biggest cunts and that's just how it is. The fact is, US politics, Israel/Palestine, Russia/Ukraine are all topics where anger is justified and to be expected. The EU and UK megathreads are much more civil - and this isn't because the moderation is any different, it's because the topics are.

Essentially, to moderate fairly, you need to, somehow, read these threads, be informed, yet impartial. My experience is that nobody who is informed regarding US politics, the russian invasion of Ukraine, or Israel/Gaza is impartial, and thus, we're largely choosing between bad moderation or no moderation (aside from stuff like cleaning up spam or slurs which can be done without intimate knowledge). I don't really have the time or energy to make an effort tbh, so atm I'm leaning no moderation, but I guess maybe a course correction will happen at some point - if no moderation has left the place so bad that bad moderation is preferable. Amusingly enough I guess that's kind of a relevant political parallel - is unfair police better or worse than no police (where the answer largely depends on how prevalent crime is), but oh well, I digress. Maybe AI could do a decent enough job if we gave highly specific instructions.

In the context of Kwark there's no question he occasionally/frequently (seems to go in phases, tbh) steps over the line - the main problem isn't the insults, but the repeated needling - but my opinion is also that his quality posts are amazing and while it'd be preferable if he could keep those up without the trashy ones I also don't want to neuter him.

Thank you for the response Drone, sanguine and well-considered as ever!

The problem perhaps comes next time somebody is actioned though.

If moderation is openly hands-off, outside of a very limited suite of offences, then fair enough.

If moderation is to be lax, and communicated to be so, that goes against the direction I think would be most beneficial (which I have discussed in numerous posts here), however, I am fine with that too, provided it’s reasonably consistent.
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27450 Posts
October 10 2025 22:06 GMT
#6771
On October 11 2025 04:00 ChristianS wrote:
I don’t think your (1), (2) and (3) are very honest summaries of the viewpoints on this issue. Notably excluded is anybody whose opinion is “I don’t think Kwark would be actioned if he were just a veteran poster who wasn’t a mod,” which is kinda pre-assuming your conclusion imo. That would be my position, unless we interpret “actioned” broadly enough to include “informal warnings from staff asking you to try to post better” which he’s arguably received, in this very thread!

Edit: I’m in favor of bringing back Danglars though, if he’s still interested. xDaunt I assume is in some public office by now and doesn’t have time to troll us any more, and Doodsmack has already come back to troll us under alt IDs a bunch of times, hasn’t he?

Can we not do that? :p

I would love some more conservative voices though. Surely most of us know at least one in our lives who isn’t insufferable? Recruit em I say!

Fuck I could LARP as one and it’d be preferable to some of those guys returning to these hallowed halls.

Prepare yourself for posts prefaced with ‘ConservativeWombaT’ and ‘TradWombaT’ and stuff. I’m surprised nobody’s tried this before!

Joking aside I would actually like some more conservative voices, I really would. I think Intro is good value for a chinwag, even if we’ll basically never see eye to eye it feels like a proper discussion across diverging viewpoints.
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
tofucake
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Hyrule19259 Posts
Last Edited: 2025-10-10 22:11:32
October 10 2025 22:10 GMT
#6772
On October 11 2025 03:12 LegalLord wrote:
1. The moderation team should do something about this posting.
2. Posting standards are altogether too strict and should generally be relaxed.
3. Kwark's posts are more problematic than average, but I like the guy so I'm fine with the leeway he gets.


1) I am happy to close the thread and ban all of you. That would solve all of the problematic posting.
2) As far as I can tell, Seeker and I do most of the moderation in the thread. This is not because we want to, but because you are all so toxic that you've driven off most of the other active moderators, which is saying something because this is a small site and there's not a lot of us around.
3) They aren't, and he doesn't. Kwark's posting gets different treatment because you must remember commandment 1: This is our house. When staff is moderated, it happens in a different way. You don't see it, and we don't care that you don't.

Obviously I am in the first camp. None of it is going to change any of the others' mind; you're all just basically shouting into the wind. As far as I'm concerned, US politics has nothing to do with Korean esports. The thread is a nightmare to moderate, especially for newer mods who haven't kept up with 5300+ pages of the current thread, and however many pages the old thread was, filled with decades of interpersonal relationships, conflicts, and contexts. The amount of stress and strife this thread generates does not outweigh the benefits it brings the forums and I would gladly send the entire thread to the shadow realm and launch anyone who tries to resurrect it into the sun. Unfortunately, the mod team has not as a whole reached this consensus and so, for now, it's allowed to exist.

As to the mods that participate in the thread: they don't moderate it. One of the fundamental rules of the mod team is to not moderate discussions we're involved in since we know there would be a bias. Kwark and Drone rarely (if ever) moderate the thread, and when they do it's always for something obviously egregious. As far as I can tell, Kwark basically only ever bans bots, and I haven't seen Drone moderate anything recently. Again, as part of commandment 1: This is our house, staff and long time contributors get deferential treatment. A 30 day ban for a 300 post account will likely be a private conversation with a 43000 post staffer. Get used to it.

And like Kwark said earlier, he is Banling, which is a subtype of Moderator, and there are other levels of staff. Just like there are discussions normal users are aware of, there are discussions Kwark isn't aware of, and discussions I'm not aware of. Kwark has been moderated for shit he posts just like I have. But again, it happens in a different way. The same way that Website Feedback is moderated differently to General Discussion.

Can you all get back to shouting into the wind? It will strengthen my case to just get rid of the thread entirely. Thanks.
Liquipediaasante sana squash banana
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27450 Posts
October 10 2025 22:37 GMT
#6773
Why not extend moderation privileges to some active participants in said threads who are generally considered beyond reproach then? Limit their remit to those areas.

If it’s a gigantic pain in the arse, why not just outsource it?

Some of the Pol threads are more active than many of the SC ones as it is, never mind non-SC games. They’re something a good chunk of users value, for whatever their reasons may be.

If it’s an onerous task you couldn’t be fucked with, other folks might be up for it and you can focus on other things. Seems a win-win to me

Whether they would be up for it, there’s at least a handful of people I’d think temperamentally suited for it. I’m sure as fuck not one, I know that much, but I think you’d get takers, and takers basically all the pol posters would be OK with
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
tofucake
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Hyrule19259 Posts
Last Edited: 2025-10-10 22:41:16
October 10 2025 22:40 GMT
#6774
The site is ancient. The way moderation powers was coded worked in 2001, but is not granular enough to give permissions to moderate a single thread or even forum. Modifying the site to work like that would be very expensive and time consuming. Add in that the almost only people who would willingly moderate US Pol are active participants, and it's just never going to happen.
Liquipediaasante sana squash banana
Magic Powers
Profile Joined April 2012
Austria4478 Posts
October 10 2025 22:42 GMT
#6775
On October 11 2025 07:10 tofucake wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 11 2025 03:12 LegalLord wrote:
1. The moderation team should do something about this posting.
2. Posting standards are altogether too strict and should generally be relaxed.
3. Kwark's posts are more problematic than average, but I like the guy so I'm fine with the leeway he gets.


1) I am happy to close the thread and ban all of you. That would solve all of the problematic posting.
2) As far as I can tell, Seeker and I do most of the moderation in the thread. This is not because we want to, but because you are all so toxic that you've driven off most of the other active moderators, which is saying something because this is a small site and there's not a lot of us around.
3) They aren't, and he doesn't. Kwark's posting gets different treatment because you must remember commandment 1: This is our house. When staff is moderated, it happens in a different way. You don't see it, and we don't care that you don't.

Obviously I am in the first camp. None of it is going to change any of the others' mind; you're all just basically shouting into the wind. As far as I'm concerned, US politics has nothing to do with Korean esports. The thread is a nightmare to moderate, especially for newer mods who haven't kept up with 5300+ pages of the current thread, and however many pages the old thread was, filled with decades of interpersonal relationships, conflicts, and contexts. The amount of stress and strife this thread generates does not outweigh the benefits it brings the forums and I would gladly send the entire thread to the shadow realm and launch anyone who tries to resurrect it into the sun. Unfortunately, the mod team has not as a whole reached this consensus and so, for now, it's allowed to exist.

As to the mods that participate in the thread: they don't moderate it. One of the fundamental rules of the mod team is to not moderate discussions we're involved in since we know there would be a bias. Kwark and Drone rarely (if ever) moderate the thread, and when they do it's always for something obviously egregious. As far as I can tell, Kwark basically only ever bans bots, and I haven't seen Drone moderate anything recently. Again, as part of commandment 1: This is our house, staff and long time contributors get deferential treatment. A 30 day ban for a 300 post account will likely be a private conversation with a 43000 post staffer. Get used to it.

And like Kwark said earlier, he is Banling, which is a subtype of Moderator, and there are other levels of staff. Just like there are discussions normal users are aware of, there are discussions Kwark isn't aware of, and discussions I'm not aware of. Kwark has been moderated for shit he posts just like I have. But again, it happens in a different way. The same way that Website Feedback is moderated differently to General Discussion.

Can you all get back to shouting into the wind? It will strengthen my case to just get rid of the thread entirely. Thanks.


Thank you for your brutal honesty. This is the kind of information that I was hoping to read.
Whatever you choose to do, I'm sure it's in the best interest of the forum.
If you want to do the right thing, 80% of your job is done if you don't do the wrong thing.
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27450 Posts
October 10 2025 23:03 GMT
#6776
On October 11 2025 07:40 tofucake wrote:
The site is ancient. The way moderation powers was coded worked in 2001, but is not granular enough to give permissions to moderate a single thread or even forum. Modifying the site to work like that would be very expensive and time consuming. Add in that the almost only people who would willingly moderate US Pol are active participants, and it's just never going to happen.

Why would you have to modify site functionality?

You’re a mod, here’s your remit, stay within it. Yes you have theoretical powers across the site, don’t use them.

It’s not some intractable, unsolvable problem.

If the issue is active participants not also being moderators, well that’s the policy.

But I think the positives outweigh the negatives for basically all involved. Yourself, Seeker et al aren’t constantly dealing with nonsense, you’d have mods more in touch with things contextually, and I think thread users would also appreciate that. I think there are more than a handful of people who, if they wanted to would be broadly accepted as mods in those threads.

But hey, your site, your rules.
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
LegalLord
Profile Blog Joined April 2013
United States13779 Posts
October 10 2025 23:04 GMT
#6777
I'll also echo that I appreciate the response; it is helpful to know what the "official" position is on things like this.
History will sooner or later sweep the European Union away without mercy.
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27450 Posts
October 10 2025 23:05 GMT
#6778
On October 11 2025 08:04 LegalLord wrote:
I'll also echo that I appreciate the response; it is helpful to know what the "official" position is on things like this.

Yeah I mean it’s not ideal but it is instructive to be told to fuck off.
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
tofucake
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Hyrule19259 Posts
October 10 2025 23:18 GMT
#6779
On October 11 2025 08:03 WombaT wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 11 2025 07:40 tofucake wrote:
The site is ancient. The way moderation powers was coded worked in 2001, but is not granular enough to give permissions to moderate a single thread or even forum. Modifying the site to work like that would be very expensive and time consuming. Add in that the almost only people who would willingly moderate US Pol are active participants, and it's just never going to happen.

Why would you have to modify site functionality?

You’re a mod, here’s your remit, stay within it. Yes you have theoretical powers across the site, don’t use them.

It’s not some intractable, unsolvable problem.

It's the basic security premise of least privilege: grant the least amount of access possible to attain desired functionality. The least possible is too broad for the desired functionality, so access must not be granted until change is made.
Liquipediaasante sana squash banana
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44352 Posts
Last Edited: 2025-10-10 23:30:32
October 10 2025 23:25 GMT
#6780
I agree that making a new mod and giving them a specific remit probably wouldn’t be that hard. Similarly if another mod wanted to give me a 1 week ban or whatever they could edit my post to say I was banned and then just PM me and tell me not to post for a week. We can all basically be treated like adults here, if I refuse to follow a PM’d ban then I wouldn’t enjoy the prize I’d win.

Also I think that immunity from the report button does me absolutely no favours. It’s not that I don’t get reported and that when some nerd has a ridiculous issue with one of my posts they can’t do anything, when someone has an issue with one of my posts it goes here and then every other nerd gets to weigh in on it. That’s a whole lot more scrutiny than any other poster gets and random TL posters get to participate. There’s no role for randoms weighing in the regular mod reports system, a report is submitted and a mod makes their own independent judgement. If ten other posters agree with the report or disagree with it makes no difference, there’s no discussion, they don’t have a podium.

A fair system would be if I was reported by PMing a mod and asking that they open a mod report manually which is something that can absolutely be done. That would hold me to the same process before the same court as any other poster.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
Prev 1 337 338 339 340 341 345 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Online Event
20:00
BamsPatch 1.0 Weekly #3
Liquipedia
CranKy Ducklings
19:00
Sea Duckling Open #150 (SHIN Mod Edition)
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 399
ProTech148
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 32754
Bisu 3063
Shuttle 1731
Hyuk 1311
EffOrt 718
Mini 696
Larva 361
Soma 282
ZerO 259
firebathero 234
[ Show more ]
Zeus 100
hero 92
Last 85
Sexy 70
Hyun 43
Mong 40
Killer 40
Pusan 35
Trap 35
ToSsGirL 34
Bale 33
PianO 32
Aegong 28
Hm[arnc] 28
sorry 20
zelot 18
Rock 11
ajuk12(nOOB) 8
JulyZerg 8
Noble 8
Sacsri 7
Icarus 7
Terrorterran 3
Dota 2
Gorgc7423
qojqva1392
Dendi793
Counter-Strike
fl0m2319
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1311
crisheroes873
Liquid`Hasu588
Lowko450
Other Games
singsing2670
B2W.Neo1372
Beastyqt411
Livibee207
Hui .199
Liquid`VortiX172
KnowMe97
ArmadaUGS86
Mew2King84
elazer61
CosmosSc2 26
ZerO(Twitch)7
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream65
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 41
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Michael_bg 12
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 8409
• WagamamaTV184
League of Legends
• Jankos1986
Upcoming Events
FEL
1h 21m
AI Arena Tournament
2h 21m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4h 21m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
19h 21m
INu's Battles
21h 21m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 4h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 4h
Replay Cast
1d 9h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 19h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 20h
[ Show More ]
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.