• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:22
CEST 22:22
KST 05:22
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)48Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8729 users

IPL5, winratios by race. Calculations ! :)

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 7 8 9 Next All
raQn
Profile Joined October 2012
Poland21 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-12-02 00:51:43
December 01 2012 22:02 GMT
#1
** Please read whole post or at least part where I explain "Overall" term used in my results thanks! ***
*** Thanks Jebediah for those mapstats, link to post http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewpost.php?post_id=17090758 ***

Hello, out of curiosity I've calculated winratios by race for winners bracket (1-5 round) and losers bracket (1-7 round) of IPL 5 Tournament, so its quite up-to-date info. If anybody interested I can send excel file in which every calculation was proceed. Just PM.

Other thing I want to tell is that I feel it is pointless to calculate winratios for Final Bracket of IPL5 because there is only one terran left Source of data that I was using is
http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/IGN_ProLeague_Season_5/Main_Event

And please keep balance QQ as far as possible away from this thread! Thanks in advance.

Before we look into results, I want to explain few things.
Xrace wins% formula: sum of race wins in specific MU divided by amount of same MUs. For example Zerg wins% vs Terran = 13 zerg wins against terran divided by 19 TvZs (see source)
"Overall" result includes every win of specific race (even in mirrors) divided by all matches in analysed bracket.
Ok, let's go!

Results:
Winners Bracket round 1-5:

Matches (not maps) played: 59
ZvT played: 19
TvP played: 10
PvZ played: 16
Mirrors: 14
Above don't include walkovers

Zerg wins%:
- vT: 68,42%
- vP: 43,75%

Terran wins%:

- vZ: 31,58%
- vP: 60,00%

Protoss wins%:
- vZ: 56,25%
- vT: 40,00%

Losers Bracket round 1-7:

Matches (not maps) played: 54
ZvT played: 13
TvP played: 10
PvZ played: 13
Mirrors: 18
Above don't include walkovers

Zerg wins%:
- vT: 69,23%
- vP: 76,92%

Terran wins%:
- vZ: 30,77%
- vP: 50,00%

Protoss wins%:
- vZ: 23,08%
- vT: 50,00%

Average results (WB 1-5 + LB 1-7)

Zerg wins%:

- vT: 68,83%
- vP: 60,34%


Terran wins%:

- vZ: 31,17%
- vP: 55,00%

Protoss wins%:
- vZ: 39,66%
- vT: 45,00%

So.. that is all! Thanks for reading, I hope that at least one person find it helpful and/or informative. Also, I will gladly hear from you what to fix or add , Cheers
Zenbrez
Profile Joined June 2012
Canada5973 Posts
December 01 2012 22:04 GMT
#2
I hope that at least one person find it helpful and/or informative.
It's going to help a few hundred people to continue complaining about balance.

But I like it for the sake of knowing, with no intent to do anything with the information
Refer to my post.
corpuscle
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States1967 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-12-01 22:05:17
December 01 2012 22:04 GMT
#3
Um, seems to me like you're factoring in mirror matchups in the "overall" score, unless I'm missing something big... I don't really see how a 69% vT and 61% vP can average out to 52%, for example
From the void I am born into wave and particle
Jormundr
Profile Joined July 2011
United States1678 Posts
December 01 2012 22:07 GMT
#4
On December 02 2012 07:04 corpuscle wrote:
Um, seems to me like you're factoring in mirror matchups in the "overall" score, unless I'm missing something big... I don't really see how a 69% vT and 61% vP can average out to 52%, for example

That's the percentage of games won by the race out of total number of games played, not an average win %.
Capitalism is beneficial for people who work harder than other people. Under capitalism the only way to make more money is to work harder then your competitors whether they be other companies or workers. ~ Vegetarian
n0ise
Profile Joined April 2010
3452 Posts
December 01 2012 22:07 GMT
#5
glad to see it's all close to 50%
Viperbird
Profile Joined September 2010
United States118 Posts
December 01 2012 22:07 GMT
#6
On December 02 2012 07:04 corpuscle wrote:
I don't really see how a 69% vT and 61% vP can average out to 52%, for example

I don't understand either...
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving!
Zenbrez
Profile Joined June 2012
Canada5973 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-12-01 22:10:46
December 01 2012 22:09 GMT
#7
On December 02 2012 07:07 Viperbird wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 02 2012 07:04 corpuscle wrote:
I don't really see how a 69% vT and 61% vP can average out to 52%, for example

I don't understand either...

If I won 9-1 tvz, I have a 90% winrate.
If I won 1-4 tvp, I have a 20% winrate.

I have a 66.67% (10/15) total winrate, even though the average of the 2 is 55% (110/2).
Refer to my post.
raQn
Profile Joined October 2012
Poland21 Posts
December 01 2012 22:10 GMT
#8
On December 02 2012 07:04 corpuscle wrote:
Um, seems to me like you're factoring in mirror matchups in the "overall" score, unless I'm missing something big... I don't really see how a 69% vT and 61% vP can average out to 52%, for example


There were many mirrors among multirace MU's, so overall result is highly affected, thus downed. Formula for zerg: (wins vT+ vP+ vZ) / (ZvTs + ZvPs + ZvZs)
dUTtrOACh
Profile Joined December 2010
Canada2339 Posts
December 01 2012 22:11 GMT
#9
I don't think that the "Overall" is the average of vT & vP, it could just be combined total Win/Loss of all zergs in the tourney, maybe?
twitch.tv/duttroach
corpuscle
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States1967 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-12-01 22:14:19
December 01 2012 22:11 GMT
#10
On December 02 2012 07:07 Jormundr wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 02 2012 07:04 corpuscle wrote:
Um, seems to me like you're factoring in mirror matchups in the "overall" score, unless I'm missing something big... I don't really see how a 69% vT and 61% vP can average out to 52%, for example

That's the percentage of games won by the race out of total number of games played, not an average win %.


The numbers still don't make any sense, though. If Terran is winning 31% of their vZ, 55% of their vP, and 50% of their vT (obviously), how does it end up as 24% overall?

If I won 9-1 tvz, I have a 90% winrate.
If I won 1-4 tvp, I have a 20% winrate.

I have a 66.67% (10/15) total winrate, even though the average of the 2 is 55% (110/2).


That's not how you calculate an average in a situation like that. You've played twice as many TvZs, so you use a weighted average, i.e. (2*90 + 20)/3 = 66.67
From the void I am born into wave and particle
WhiteSatin
Profile Joined December 2012
United States308 Posts
December 01 2012 22:11 GMT
#11
This simply confirms that TvZ is absolutely broken and in favor of Z.
Nothing new, but still interesting to have the stats supporting the claims.
-FmP-
Profile Joined October 2002
Canada85 Posts
December 01 2012 22:12 GMT
#12
Your "overall" winrates make no sense..
FLuE
Profile Joined September 2010
United States1012 Posts
December 01 2012 22:12 GMT
#13
Aside from being interesting using data like this from a single tournament is pointless. Sample size way to small.
xPabt
Profile Joined February 2012
226 Posts
December 01 2012 22:14 GMT
#14
Including mirrors makes no sense.

raQn
Profile Joined October 2012
Poland21 Posts
December 01 2012 22:14 GMT
#15
On December 02 2012 07:11 corpuscle wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 02 2012 07:07 Jormundr wrote:
On December 02 2012 07:04 corpuscle wrote:
Um, seems to me like you're factoring in mirror matchups in the "overall" score, unless I'm missing something big... I don't really see how a 69% vT and 61% vP can average out to 52%, for example

That's the percentage of games won by the race out of total number of games played, not an average win %.


The numbers still don't make any sense, though. If Terran is winning 31% of their vZ, 55% of their vP, and 50% of their vT (obviously), how does it end up as 24% overall?


Because we had much less terran games against other races, thus in general they will have less wins.
corpuscle
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States1967 Posts
December 01 2012 22:15 GMT
#16
On December 02 2012 07:14 raQn wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 02 2012 07:11 corpuscle wrote:
On December 02 2012 07:07 Jormundr wrote:
On December 02 2012 07:04 corpuscle wrote:
Um, seems to me like you're factoring in mirror matchups in the "overall" score, unless I'm missing something big... I don't really see how a 69% vT and 61% vP can average out to 52%, for example

That's the percentage of games won by the race out of total number of games played, not an average win %.


The numbers still don't make any sense, though. If Terran is winning 31% of their vZ, 55% of their vP, and 50% of their vT (obviously), how does it end up as 24% overall?


Because we had much less terran games against other races, thus in general they will have less wins.


...so are you calculating "terran winrate" as "number of games terran won"/"total games played in general"? It explains your numbers, at least, but kind of makes them useless...
From the void I am born into wave and particle
raQn
Profile Joined October 2012
Poland21 Posts
December 01 2012 22:17 GMT
#17
On December 02 2012 07:14 xPabt wrote:
Including mirrors makes no sense.



Imo, not at all. Because mirrors still stands for decent number of matches, so if we want to have realistic statistics we need to consider them. Of course ZvZ always mean that Z wins but if we want to calculate specific race wins in general we need to include all matches.
Zenbrez
Profile Joined June 2012
Canada5973 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-12-01 22:19:55
December 01 2012 22:17 GMT
#18
On December 02 2012 07:11 corpuscle wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 02 2012 07:07 Jormundr wrote:
On December 02 2012 07:04 corpuscle wrote:
Um, seems to me like you're factoring in mirror matchups in the "overall" score, unless I'm missing something big... I don't really see how a 69% vT and 61% vP can average out to 52%, for example

That's the percentage of games won by the race out of total number of games played, not an average win %.


The numbers still don't make any sense, though. If Terran is winning 31% of their vZ, 55% of their vP, and 50% of their vT (obviously), how does it end up as 24% overall?

Show nested quote +
If I won 9-1 tvz, I have a 90% winrate.
If I won 1-4 tvp, I have a 20% winrate.

I have a 66.67% (10/15) total winrate, even though the average of the 2 is 55% (110/2).


That's not how you calculate an average in a situation like that. You've played twice as many TvZs, so you use a weighted average, i.e. (2*90 + 20)/3 = 66.67

You're telling me that doing 10/15 does not calculate your total average win percentage..? Total wins / total games = total win rate. Don't need to weight anything. There is more than 1 way of doing simple calculations.


Aside from being interesting using data like this from a single tournament is pointless. Sample size way to small.

Sample size? He used the population. There can not physically be a bigger "sample".
Refer to my post.
Elroi
Profile Joined August 2009
Sweden5617 Posts
December 01 2012 22:19 GMT
#19
holy fuck 70% in zvt?! that is some serious payback from the BW days
"To all eSports fans, I want to be remembered as a progamer who can make something out of nothing, and someone who always does his best. I think that is the right way of living, and I'm always doing my best to follow that." - Jaedong. /watch?v=jfghAzJqAp0
Zefa
Profile Joined May 2010
United States297 Posts
December 01 2012 22:19 GMT
#20
Don't include mirrors in those calculations. There's no point.
1 2 3 4 5 7 8 9 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 39m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 537
JuggernautJason69
Nathanias 15
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 15175
Dewaltoss 114
Bale 11
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4244
Khaldor1767
Liquid`Hasu813
Other Games
summit1g5756
fl0m987
Beastyqt677
shahzam427
FrodaN291
byalli282
ArmadaUGS161
KnowMe161
C9.Mang0161
UpATreeSC85
Mew2King67
PPMD16
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV240
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream89
Other Games
angryscii15
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie900
• Shiphtur218
Upcoming Events
OSC
3h 39m
Stellar Fest
16h 39m
OSC
1d 1h
CranKy Ducklings
1d 13h
Online Event
1d 14h
FEL
1d 19h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 20h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 22h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.