• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 03:36
CEST 09:36
KST 16:36
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8663 users

[M] (2) TPW Odin

Forum Index > SC2 Maps & Custom Games
Post a Reply
1 2 Next All
wrl
Profile Joined April 2011
United States209 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-09 22:30:05
February 07 2012 20:43 GMT
#1
[image loading]

ODIN

Author: wrl
Map bounds: 144x124
Nat-nat rush distance: 141, ~132 with rocks down.
Available: EU (out of date), NA


Aesthetic Theme: A space station refining frozen gas from an asteroid.
Aesthetic Approach: I was inspired by the work of Lefix and Funcmode in the aesthetic approach. I wanted a very clean, almost minimalist look for most of the pathable terrain with a focus on lines, patterns, and a clear distinction between cliff levels. (Do not play this map on lowest settings, it will look like garbage)
Aesthetic Details:
Castanar Small Tiles
Castanar Tiles
Castanar Tiles Light (Custom texture)
Castanar Grid
Castanar Rock
Niflheim Ice Smooth (Specularity enhanced)
Niflheim Ice Frosty (Specularity enhanced)
Castanar Organic Cliffs
Braxis Alpha Manmade Cliffs (Custom textures)
Castanar Lighting (Slightly edited)

Latest Updates:
2/9/2012:
Main middle area significantly opened up
Aesthetic enhancements to mains
Slight terrain adjustments to fix a bug with pathing at the low-ground third
Decal changes to fix artifacting bug at low resolutions.

Layout Approach: I felt that there weren't enough solid reflective symmetry maps floating around at the time and I wanted to make one with a fairly simple layout that lended itself to both macro and aggressive playstyles. There are a lot of attack paths to abuse as well as a lot of air vulnerability, so having map awareness is key to defending your base. This was mostly just an aesthetic experiment and a result the layout isn't necessarily groundbreaking, but should play fairly well regardless.

Overview, click for big:
[image loading]
[image loading]

Analyzer
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Detail shots, click for big:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]
[image loading]
[image loading]
[image loading]
[image loading]
[image loading]
[image loading]
[image loading]
[image loading]


Archvile's opinion of my map:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]
It's funny; I dream a lot, but I'm not a very good sleeper.
Duvon
Profile Joined October 2011
Sweden2360 Posts
February 07 2012 20:56 GMT
#2
Indeed, Lion King it is.
Concern: Xel'naga coverage of attack routes. Range pic?
Nothing is impossible, only some things for some people.
wrl
Profile Joined April 2011
United States209 Posts
February 07 2012 21:04 GMT
#3
On February 08 2012 05:56 Duvon wrote:
Indeed, Lion King it is.
Concern: Xel'naga coverage of attack routes. Range pic?


You can avoid all tower vision going along the outer edges. I've added an analyzer shot to OP.
It's funny; I dream a lot, but I'm not a very good sleeper.
MachineGunPanda
Profile Joined December 2011
Sweden14 Posts
February 07 2012 21:18 GMT
#4
This map seems really interesting. I will have to play it to get a feel for it though. A question, would you be totally against the idea to actually remove the Xel'naga towers completely from the map? Thus creating a more suspenseful aspect and scout necessity for the map?
NullCurrent
Profile Joined November 2010
Sweden245 Posts
February 07 2012 21:29 GMT
#5
Now uploaded on EU too.
The Planetary Workshop - TPW - Mapmaking Team
wrl
Profile Joined April 2011
United States209 Posts
February 07 2012 21:32 GMT
#6
On February 08 2012 06:18 MachineGunPanda wrote:
This map seems really interesting. I will have to play it to get a feel for it though. A question, would you be totally against the idea to actually remove the Xel'naga towers completely from the map? Thus creating a more suspenseful aspect and scout necessity for the map?


But then it wouldn't look like a face on the minimap anymore!!

In response, though, the tower can't see the outside-most path or the direct flight path so ultimately it will only fool you in to a false sense of security. The purpose of the tower is to assist in defending your half of the map from the high ground when you are on 4-6 bases.
It's funny; I dream a lot, but I'm not a very good sleeper.
Randomaccount#77123
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States5003 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-07 21:44:24
February 07 2012 21:41 GMT
#7
--- Nuked ---
wrl
Profile Joined April 2011
United States209 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-07 22:21:49
February 07 2012 21:52 GMT
#8
On February 08 2012 06:41 Barrin wrote:
Baller. This is a proper air vertical axis reflection symmetry map.

Plenty of air space in the right places? check
Harassable nat? check
Multiple third choices? check
A very open, longer ground distance third? check
A single-entrance, short air distance third? check
Half-bases in middle to potentially shorten attack distance? check
A base with two entrances, one essentially covered by a previous base, the other leading directly into the center? check
Each player gets a watch tower? check
Proper ground vs air duality? check
Low CS? check
Overall features creating a unique style for an otherwise old category? check.

(btw I don't really do a checklist like this to see if I like a map lol, just pointing out things I like that properly add to it's concept)

--

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


This area should be far more open IMO.


<3 Barrin.

Everyone seems to agree on the mid, but I'm as stubborn as a mule so I at least want to see abit of playtesting first to see how it pans out given that there are two other options to travel through mid besides that area.

Thx for feedback.

Looks like a really nice, solid map. The one thing I don't like so much is the very top middle part. The only real purpose of it seems to be to avoid the XWT vision with big armies. If it was high ground it'd make more sense to go though there imo. Also I'm not sure if that small harass entrance into the nat really is that fun. Kinda ruins Forge FE's.


Originally the concept was that the top was (in addition to avoiding the tower vision) a neutral expansion, I then intended it as a more open attack route than the chokey center. Now its purpose is less clear and I do think it could possibly benefit from being a high ground instead.

As for the natural. I was trying to find a balance between FFE is free every game, and FFE is doable, but you need to be careful of early game pressure. There is plenty of time to get up a standard FFE location, but you may need to get a second cannon up sooner than normal to properly protect yourself.
It's funny; I dream a lot, but I'm not a very good sleeper.
FlopTurnReaver
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Switzerland1980 Posts
February 07 2012 21:59 GMT
#9
Looks like a really nice, solid map. The one thing I don't like so much is the very top middle part. The only real purpose of it seems to be to avoid the XWT vision with big armies. If it was high ground it'd make more sense to go though there imo. Also I'm not sure if that small harass entrance into the nat really is that fun. Kinda ruins Forge FE's.

Oh yes and I have to agree with Barrin about that center part. I don't think it should be much more open, just a tiny bit.
Check out @MapOfTheMonth on Twitter and under http://bit.ly/motmorg
Siracuz
Profile Joined January 2012
United States15 Posts
February 07 2012 22:19 GMT
#10
Great job of merging the natural with the man-made, that's a challenge I always like to see solved, and you did it in a nice way. I also like the square shapes and how the texturing reflects the square terraces nearby. The grey border around the mains gives them a nice kick. Glad to see you carried that border to the other expo's that are the same height as the main.

Also really digging the layout

One suggestion aesthetically would make those skinny rock bridges (near 5 and 7 oclock) look reinforced by steel in some way, may work may not. Kind of like that shiny center piece has those 3 big pipes. Some more detail at the ends of those pipes to really make it look like it's very solid and holding itself in place would work nice too I think.

I just read your text now and see that you were aiming for what I was saying about this map, so nice job! These are the kinds of things I learned studying architecture, it seems like you may have some architectural knowledge yourself

Bi-symmetry is very hard to pull off but I think you did great.
Seeker *
Profile Blog Joined April 2005
Where dat snitch at?37118 Posts
February 07 2012 22:30 GMT
#11
OH GOD!!!

Looks so good! I want to play on it!

I love how it's not complex at all. At one glance, people can clearly see which paths to take, which paths to alternatively take and what to do. LOVE IT!
ModeratorPeople ask me, "Seeker, what are you seeking?" My answer? "Sleep, damn it! Always sleep!"
TL+ Member
FlaShFTW
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States10569 Posts
February 07 2012 23:18 GMT
#12
great map. though i feel as if you should take out the top two bases and make it one middle on at the top
Writer#1 KT and FlaSh Fanboy || Woo Jung Ho Never Forget || Teamliquid Political Decision Desk
TL+ Member
a176
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Canada6688 Posts
February 08 2012 00:32 GMT
#13
is there a specific use for the rocks in the middle aside from delaying rushing a bit?
starleague forever
wrl
Profile Joined April 2011
United States209 Posts
February 08 2012 01:17 GMT
#14
On February 08 2012 08:18 FlaShFTW wrote:
great map. though i feel as if you should take out the top two bases and make it one middle on at the top


I'm not crazy about neutral bases if you don't have to have them. If anything I would put one there in addition to all of the other bases if there was a concern about the late late late late late game (which I don't see there being). In the earliest version of this map there was in fact a 13th base there.

On February 08 2012 09:32 a176 wrote:
is there a specific use for the rocks in the middle aside from delaying rushing a bit?


Increases the rush distance, pushes the mid game into the middle area which is tighter and a different dynamic. Once you reach the late game, the rocks are down, giving you a new attack path.

If you are going for a push where reinforcements are key (such as a tank push) you may or may not want to shred those rocks down for faster reinforcements where they are less vulnerable to mutas intercepting.

Overall the impact hasn't proven to be extremely significant in test games, but they haven't had any negative impact either.
It's funny; I dream a lot, but I'm not a very good sleeper.
SigmaFiE
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
United States333 Posts
February 08 2012 05:42 GMT
#15
Some days I come on here pumped because I feel like I've done well. Than I see a map like this that in my heart of hearts I know took less time and effort than my best maps that I dumped hours into, and this is better by far. Well played. . . well played!

On more serious (well, less serious I guess from my perspective) -- I really like this, even if the layout is not game changing to current mapmaking.
https://johnemerson.artstation.com/
aiuradun
Profile Joined February 2011
Denmark115 Posts
February 08 2012 09:28 GMT
#16
nice effort, seems really good, but want to try it out to see how it feels playing good job
ihasaKAROT
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Netherlands4730 Posts
February 08 2012 09:32 GMT
#17
The third seems weird. Sorta a deadend thing, if you let it sit he gets econ, if you go to attack it you are stuck. Damned if you do , damned if you dont...
KCCO!
wrl
Profile Joined April 2011
United States209 Posts
February 08 2012 15:09 GMT
#18
On February 08 2012 18:32 ihasaKAROT wrote:
The third seems weird. Sorta a deadend thing, if you let it sit he gets econ, if you go to attack it you are stuck. Damned if you do , damned if you dont...


The dynamic is that the low ground third is extremely vulnerable to air assaults, if you expand vertically its extremely vulnerable to ground assaults.
It's funny; I dream a lot, but I'm not a very good sleeper.
SidianTheBard
Profile Joined October 2010
United States2475 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-08 17:44:46
February 08 2012 17:43 GMT
#19
Ya know, first glance I loved the third (the closer to your opponent third) yet after thinking about it, and seeing what Karot said, I kind of agree that it does seem kind of weird imo. You said it's extremely vulnerable to air assaults but that's not really true. The minerals are up against your main and with a turret or two on the side close to your opponent you'll be safe to drops. I'd almost say expanding vertically is more vulnerable to ground & air assaults due to the fact you'd have to put more Anti-Air to defend the verticle third as well as it's farther away from your other bases so it'd take ground units much longer to get there to defend.

I could see if you flipped the minerals to face the other way, so the back of the mineral line is facing your opponent, but then they might be too close to each other. Wouldn't want tanks to be able to hit them from the middle etc etc. I'm wondering if you rotate the minerals about 45 degrees so the back of the minerals are exposed to the bottom of the map. I would draw a picture with what I mean but I'm at work atm and really can't haha.

Aesthetics on this map are A+. Didn't you say in your texture video you probably weren't going to make this map a melee map because it had too many "custom" things in it? What changed your mind? Or is this a different map?
Creator of Abyssal Reef, Ascension to Aiur, Battle on the Boardwalk, Habitation Station, Honorgrounds, IPL Darkness Falls, King's Cove, Korhal Carnage Knockout & Moonlight Madness.
wrl
Profile Joined April 2011
United States209 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-09 22:27:41
February 09 2012 18:55 GMT
#20
On February 09 2012 02:43 SidianTheBard wrote:
Ya know, first glance I loved the third (the closer to your opponent third) yet after thinking about it, and seeing what Karot said, I kind of agree that it does seem kind of weird imo. You said it's extremely vulnerable to air assaults but that's not really true. The minerals are up against your main and with a turret or two on the side close to your opponent you'll be safe to drops. I'd almost say expanding vertically is more vulnerable to ground & air assaults due to the fact you'd have to put more Anti-Air to defend the verticle third as well as it's farther away from your other bases so it'd take ground units much longer to get there to defend.

I could see if you flipped the minerals to face the other way, so the back of the mineral line is facing your opponent, but then they might be too close to each other. Wouldn't want tanks to be able to hit them from the middle etc etc. I'm wondering if you rotate the minerals about 45 degrees so the back of the minerals are exposed to the bottom of the map. I would draw a picture with what I mean but I'm at work atm and really can't haha.

Aesthetics on this map are A+. Didn't you say in your texture video you probably weren't going to make this map a melee map because it had too many "custom" things in it? What changed your mind? Or is this a different map?


The reason that base is so vulnerable to air assaults is the complete lack of warning you are given to incoming attacks. If you have an OBS/Ovie/Viking or something hanging out in the high-ground pod between bases, it gives you a very short period of time to react. It is also very easy to assault the bottom base and then fly up to the main and assault that after your opponent has committed forces to the low ground. There is also an area south of the low ground to hang out in that is out of range of ground units. If further testing proves that the base is too safe, I'll take a look at changing it, but I think there are some powerful air assault opportunities with the current setup.

Originally it wasn't intended to be a serious melee map, but the rest of the TPW team liked it and we tweaked the layout enough that we thought it was suitable for serious playtesting.

Also, changes coming soon. Hopefully by the end of the day.

EDIT: UPDATES AWAY
It's funny; I dream a lot, but I'm not a very good sleeper.
1 2 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 24m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
actioN 596
GuemChi 425
Leta 362
BeSt 104
Soma 47
sSak 44
sorry 36
Bale 26
910 26
ajuk12(nOOB) 13
[ Show more ]
Noble 11
Dota 2
febbydoto12
League of Legends
JimRising 550
Counter-Strike
shoxiejesuss489
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King140
Other Games
summit1g7838
ceh9519
olofmeister510
Happy318
Trikslyr22
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick503
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream32
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• killerbeecast37
• Letter145
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2238
League of Legends
• Stunt459
Other Games
• Shiphtur463
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
3h 24m
Patches Events
8h 24m
The PondCast
1d 2h
INu's Battles
1d 3h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 14h
Replay Cast
1d 15h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.