• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 19:42
CEST 01:42
KST 08:42
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War575.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
$3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem Fantasy returning? TL Sidebar missing streams
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9755 users

Team Melee Mini Mafia - Couples Therapy

Forum Index > TL Mafia
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All
GMarshal
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States22154 Posts
November 01 2011 11:21 GMT
#9
/in
Moderator
GMarshal
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States22154 Posts
November 01 2011 15:33 GMT
#22
On November 02 2011 00:30 RebirthOfLeGenD wrote:
Assuming all your set ups have an equal probability, this doesn't seem too balanced. Mafia most likely need a roleblocker, and while role check is decent for figuring out who the next hit will be on, it still doesn't negate public claims. For example, if I am a sane cop, I know there is a 66% chance I can claim and be jailed or protected the following cycle, and there is literally nothing the mafia can do to stop it.

I think to remedy this the mafia rolecop should be a roleblocker.

Problem solved :-P
Moderator
GMarshal
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States22154 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-01 15:41:06
November 01 2011 15:39 GMT
#25
On November 02 2011 00:34 Palmar wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 02 2011 00:33 GMarshal wrote:
On November 02 2011 00:30 RebirthOfLeGenD wrote:
Assuming all your set ups have an equal probability, this doesn't seem too balanced. Mafia most likely need a roleblocker, and while role check is decent for figuring out who the next hit will be on, it still doesn't negate public claims. For example, if I am a sane cop, I know there is a 66% chance I can claim and be jailed or protected the following cycle, and there is literally nothing the mafia can do to stop it.

I think to remedy this the mafia rolecop should be a roleblocker.

Problem solved :-P


This creates some weird shit with roleblocker vs roleblocker mechanics, read the mafiascum wiki article.

I have, I don't see the issue they have with it though, scum roleblocker goes before jailor since the jailor is also a protection. Not really an issue, I mean I like the idea of a scum rolecop, but in a setup in which there is a potential for a medic/jailor or worse, both, the scumteam needs a way to suppress them. It also really gives an incentive to avoid claiming

Anyway, I've read 2 of 4 games and they never seemed to run into *too* much trouble, although I feel like they are too blue heavy

EDIT: To be clear, order would be

Scum Roleblock
Protections (medic and jailor) IF the jailor gets his protect off the target is also roleblocked
DT checks
Scum Kills
Moderator
GMarshal
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States22154 Posts
November 01 2011 15:55 GMT
#27
On November 02 2011 00:46 Palmar wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 02 2011 00:39 GMarshal wrote:
On November 02 2011 00:34 Palmar wrote:
On November 02 2011 00:33 GMarshal wrote:
On November 02 2011 00:30 RebirthOfLeGenD wrote:
Assuming all your set ups have an equal probability, this doesn't seem too balanced. Mafia most likely need a roleblocker, and while role check is decent for figuring out who the next hit will be on, it still doesn't negate public claims. For example, if I am a sane cop, I know there is a 66% chance I can claim and be jailed or protected the following cycle, and there is literally nothing the mafia can do to stop it.

I think to remedy this the mafia rolecop should be a roleblocker.

Problem solved :-P


This creates some weird shit with roleblocker vs roleblocker mechanics, read the mafiascum wiki article.

I have, I don't see the issue they have with it though, scum roleblocker goes before jailor since the jailor is also a protection. Not really an issue, I mean I like the idea of a scum rolecop, but in a setup in which there is a potential for a medic/jailor or worse, both, the scumteam needs a way to suppress them. It also really gives an incentive to avoid claiming

Anyway, I've read 2 of 4 games and they never seemed to run into *too* much trouble, although I feel like they are too blue heavy


I'm sticking with the setup, but I love the discussion.

F11 is another similar setup, now TL is definitely not Mafiascum, I think the level of town play here is slightly higher and we know each other very well. But on the other hand, I think TL plays really bad Scum. I have no idea why, since I myself am really bad at scum, but it just seems to me that the general way of playing scum on TL is to sit back and pray town fucks up.

F11 had a win-rate of 40%-ish for town on mafiascum, so they went with 2of4 instead. I like the idea of the setup because it forces mafia to play a very analytical game (you can't just randomly roleblock until someone claims, you should be pro-active in looking for you target), and it might end up in mafia being forced to claim or counter-claim, which I find a fascinating area of the game we don't explore nearly often enough.

In any case, would you take the gamble as a sane cop? Now if you did a good job and found mafia night 1, I'd consider taking the risk day 2. But what if mafia has enough balls to just shoot you? It's a huge can of wifom.


What! You dare stick with a setup I don't entirely agree with! This means WAR!

Seriously though 2 of 4 seems to work, although you need to consider that mafiascum has pretty bad towns, for example the mountanous setup, witch is 10 town 2 scum has a 30% town win rate. I think that with two blues the scumteam is going to be fighting an uphill battle, but I'm in favor of any setup that keeps active players alive. I still dislike cops, so I would love to throw in a miller instead of one of the VTs, simply to give scum a chance to squirm out of a check. Ether that or maybe consider making one of the scum a framer in setups that have DTs.

Just random thoughts because I'm bored.
Moderator
GMarshal
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States22154 Posts
November 01 2011 16:19 GMT
#30
On November 02 2011 01:07 Palmar wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 02 2011 00:55 GMarshal wrote:
On November 02 2011 00:46 Palmar wrote:
On November 02 2011 00:39 GMarshal wrote:
On November 02 2011 00:34 Palmar wrote:
On November 02 2011 00:33 GMarshal wrote:
On November 02 2011 00:30 RebirthOfLeGenD wrote:
Assuming all your set ups have an equal probability, this doesn't seem too balanced. Mafia most likely need a roleblocker, and while role check is decent for figuring out who the next hit will be on, it still doesn't negate public claims. For example, if I am a sane cop, I know there is a 66% chance I can claim and be jailed or protected the following cycle, and there is literally nothing the mafia can do to stop it.

I think to remedy this the mafia rolecop should be a roleblocker.

Problem solved :-P


This creates some weird shit with roleblocker vs roleblocker mechanics, read the mafiascum wiki article.

I have, I don't see the issue they have with it though, scum roleblocker goes before jailor since the jailor is also a protection. Not really an issue, I mean I like the idea of a scum rolecop, but in a setup in which there is a potential for a medic/jailor or worse, both, the scumteam needs a way to suppress them. It also really gives an incentive to avoid claiming

Anyway, I've read 2 of 4 games and they never seemed to run into *too* much trouble, although I feel like they are too blue heavy


I'm sticking with the setup, but I love the discussion.

F11 is another similar setup, now TL is definitely not Mafiascum, I think the level of town play here is slightly higher and we know each other very well. But on the other hand, I think TL plays really bad Scum. I have no idea why, since I myself am really bad at scum, but it just seems to me that the general way of playing scum on TL is to sit back and pray town fucks up.

F11 had a win-rate of 40%-ish for town on mafiascum, so they went with 2of4 instead. I like the idea of the setup because it forces mafia to play a very analytical game (you can't just randomly roleblock until someone claims, you should be pro-active in looking for you target), and it might end up in mafia being forced to claim or counter-claim, which I find a fascinating area of the game we don't explore nearly often enough.

In any case, would you take the gamble as a sane cop? Now if you did a good job and found mafia night 1, I'd consider taking the risk day 2. But what if mafia has enough balls to just shoot you? It's a huge can of wifom.


What! You dare stick with a setup I don't entirely agree with! This means WAR!

Seriously though 2 of 4 seems to work, although you need to consider that mafiascum has pretty bad towns, for example the mountanous setup, witch is 10 town 2 scum has a 30% town win rate. I think that with two blues the scumteam is going to be fighting an uphill battle, but I'm in favor of any setup that keeps active players alive. I still dislike cops, so I would love to throw in a miller instead of one of the VTs, simply to give scum a chance to squirm out of a check. Ether that or maybe consider making one of the scum a framer in setups that have DTs.

Just random thoughts because I'm bored.


Those were exactly my thoughts, I did wonder when I first read the setup "isn't that really good for town?". And yes, Mafiascum towns are pretty bad. (In fact, TL towns are the only towns I've every seen that are relatively good).

And then there is the issue with those random-open setups, which is the difference in balance depending on mod-roll, F11 was even worse in that respect (VT game vs a cop/doc game are vastly different).

We might have to add a miller to the TL version of 2of4. I also had a crazy idea of simply not telling the mafia who their teammate is and giving the goon a gun. If the goon dies, the role cop gets a gun. For some reason TL seems to do okay as 3rd party and not scum. But I feel it's too themed (and similar to sleeper cell, which I hope will be hosted again in the future).

We also have the possibility of replacing the Cop out of the cop/doc combination with a parity cop, because really, a cop+jailkeeper is not OP, it's only cop+doc that breaks the game. with a parity cop it reduces their investigative power by at least one night. Only problem with this is that the parity cop immediately knows the setup.

Or we could just replace all town cops in the 2of4 with parity cops.


I dislike the idea of making the scumteam not know each other, too theme as you said, and it removes the communication/coordination advantage, which is what scumteams now days seem to be failing to exploit. I really like the idea of replacing the cops with parity cops, which weakens the cop somewhat, I also suggest you make him unable to check himself, just to make the role more interesting.

I'd still like to see a framer or miller but that's a personal preference, parity cop would work nicely too, and I'm not sure if both parity cop and miller together make the cop too weak of a role.
Moderator
GMarshal
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States22154 Posts
November 01 2011 16:57 GMT
#35
On November 02 2011 01:54 Palmar wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 02 2011 01:52 hyshes wrote:
/in

do we choose our own teams or do we get them from the hosts?


I assign the teams.

Edit, also you already signed up and I already added you to the list lol.

Are you going to do the assignments by RNG or by picking and choosing? (idle curiosity, you don't have to answer if you don't want to, I just want to know who to blame when I'm assigned my team, whether you or the dice :-P)
Moderator
GMarshal
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States22154 Posts
November 01 2011 23:08 GMT
#52
On November 02 2011 07:33 Curu wrote:
I wish you could choose your partner .

then the "good" players would be mobbed and all the players with less reputation would feel bad. This method is best.

Fun fact, my first mafia game was a team melee hosted by RoL I ended up partnered with theMango and rolling scum. We won day 3 against a claimed cop ^_^
Moderator
GMarshal
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States22154 Posts
November 01 2011 23:34 GMT
#66
On November 02 2011 08:34 Forumite wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 02 2011 08:30 Palmar wrote:
On November 02 2011 08:28 Forumite wrote:
Since the players in a team doesn´t automatically agree, and it´s the LATEST vote, rather than the one both agree on that is used, I expect some intra-team disputes, marital if you would.


I expect people to be able to sort that out lol.

If not, well the game is called couples therapy...

I don´t see it as a problem, I see it as potential for FUN! =)

THE FUN HAS BEEN DOUBLED!
Moderator
GMarshal
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States22154 Posts
November 02 2011 14:05 GMT
#94
We will be team asdji2342!8ladfgsdafuipgkhasfhas324ioasdjsfa*uias!dsd464fuidsfuios*d--dsasdhkfasoifh3465jeru!p2osdfashjkghdjkasd2432ghasdiourgra*siaop44sd!fsdha949-?*,

pronounced "john"

(I joke, I joke, we still need to come up with a name)
Moderator
GMarshal
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States22154 Posts
November 02 2011 15:26 GMT
#100
On November 03 2011 00:08 RebirthOfLeGenD wrote:
Me and Kurumi, Team Nipple.

I can see you two are miking the whole naming your team thing for giggles
Moderator
GMarshal
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States22154 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-02 15:41:31
November 02 2011 15:40 GMT
#103
Crofty and I will be team liquid

I was tempted to be "team whatever" :-P
Moderator
GMarshal
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States22154 Posts
November 02 2011 15:46 GMT
#104
On November 03 2011 00:28 RebirthOfLeGenD wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 03 2011 00:26 GMarshal wrote:
On November 03 2011 00:08 RebirthOfLeGenD wrote:
Me and Kurumi, Team Nipple.

I can see you two are miking the whole naming your team thing for giggles

i c wat u did thar.

It would be udderly wasted if you didn't :-P
Moderator
GMarshal
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States22154 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-02 17:01:52
November 02 2011 16:59 GMT
#109
On November 03 2011 01:53 wherebugsgo wrote:
what does GbR mean? I know it's one of those fancy German acronyms lol

Geselschaft Burgerlichen Rechts (I probably butchered that) which IIRC is like a limited liability corporation

Not 100% sure though.

EDIT: according to google it stands for "Gesellschaft bürgerlichen Rechts" (so I was close) and its a "Civil-Law Partnership". As to what a civil-law partnership is, I have no idea.
Moderator
GMarshal
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States22154 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-02 17:07:55
November 02 2011 17:06 GMT
#115
On November 03 2011 02:00 wherebugsgo wrote:
GM do you speak German too?!?

Cause I'm learning it in school :p

Mein Deutsch ist nicht sehr gut, aber ich verstehe viel und kann genug Deutsch sprehen zu mich verstandlich machen.

So yeah, I speak enough German to get along ^_^

Still IIRC one of the commandments requires us to speak in english, so lets avoid going on tangents! :-P
Moderator
GMarshal
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States22154 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-02 17:15:07
November 02 2011 17:14 GMT
#118
On November 03 2011 02:12 wherebugsgo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 03 2011 02:06 GMarshal wrote:
On November 03 2011 02:00 wherebugsgo wrote:
GM do you speak German too?!?

Cause I'm learning it in school :p

Mein Deutsch ist nicht sehr gut, aber ich verstehe viel und kann genug Deutsch sprehen zu mich verstandlich machen.

So yeah, I speak enough German to get along ^_^

Still IIRC one of the commandments requires us to speak in english, so lets avoid going on tangents! :-P


Die Regeln sind nicht so wichtig hier jajaja

Also the German noobs can choose Google Translate for their understanding needs

I for one refuse to partake of playing mafia in german. I have a hard enough time figuring out people's alignment in *english*, throw in another language and it becomes impossible! :-P
Moderator
GMarshal
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States22154 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-02 17:19:31
November 02 2011 17:19 GMT
#120
On November 03 2011 02:16 chaoser wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Yeah that's right, I went there.

Totally referring to you guys as team sparkly from now on.
Moderator
GMarshal
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States22154 Posts
November 02 2011 17:25 GMT
#127
On November 03 2011 02:21 chaoser wrote:
does no one know edward scissorhands lol

Yes, but its funnier to make it a twilight reference.

Also this game is really good for my postcount apparently
Moderator
GMarshal
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States22154 Posts
November 02 2011 17:54 GMT
#138
On November 03 2011 02:51 Palmar wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 03 2011 02:14 GMarshal wrote:
I for one refuse to partake of playing mafia in german. I have a hard enough time figuring out people's alignment in *english*, throw in another language and it becomes impossible! :-P


Also, I know it's a joke but lol, we non-native English speakers have to deal with that all the time

That's was part of the joke, I was talking to a bunch of people from Europe :-P

Also, its * clearly* your fault for choosing to be a non-native English speaker.

Off topic ##Occupy: Team Liquid
Moderator
GMarshal
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States22154 Posts
November 02 2011 18:19 GMT
#145
On November 03 2011 03:16 prplhz wrote:
who's smurf is katzeleute and i thought smurfs weren't allowed

I don't think he is a sumrf he's just saying he enjoyed reading through LotR, not that he played in it I think.

Really doubt he is a smurf.
Moderator
GMarshal
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States22154 Posts
November 02 2011 18:39 GMT
#149
On November 03 2011 03:22 wherebugsgo wrote:
lol if Crofty and Katzeleute are definitely smurfs. Probably both GM's smurfs, actually.

Stop sabotaging my conspiracy. I decided to remedy the lack of players on TL by becoming new players, ok?
Moderator
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL: Ladder Tournament
04:00
#3 - $100
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Leta 471
Hyun 139
Dota 2
monkeys_forever429
League of Legends
Doublelift4285
Other Games
summit1g12686
JimRising 446
Livibee207
KnowMe184
ViBE132
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick886
BasetradeTV193
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 126
• Adnapsc2 43
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie963
• Scarra869
• Shiphtur598
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
10h 18m
Patches Events
15h 18m
BSL Open Qualifier
19h 18m
BSL Open Qualifier
19h 18m
OSC
23h 18m
OSC
1d 12h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.