• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 01:53
CEST 07:53
KST 14:53
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8185 users

[G] Safe PvX openings

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 Next All
monk
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States8477 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-24 11:21:44
September 18 2011 18:47 GMT
#1
Introduction:
In my opinion, the best way to learn to play this game is by learning one build versus each race and practicing it until you get decently solid with it. In addition, these builds shouldn’t rely on one brilliant “miracle” attack. Although these timing attacks or allins will get you a lot of free wins at lower levels, you won’t actually improve in the basics of the game such as macro, scouting, and economy management, so eventually you’ll hit a plateau where your attacks are more likely defended than not. With a macro style build, you can learn all the branches of the build and improve on your basic RTS skills. When you begin to learn other builds, your experience and these skills you’ve learned will transfer to those builds as well.

In the protoss help-me forum, every few questions is someone asking for such good, solid builds versus each race. While I’m glad to answer, it gets kinda repetitive posting the same response each time. The following builds/openings are all considered “safe” in that if you play them correctly, you are guaranteed to get you into the mid game. There are no builds from the opposing race which results in a build order win, and these builds allow ample room to deviate and react to your opponents’ builds.

PvT
2 gate robo
This is the original “safe” build for PvT. You get an observer fast and respond accordingly to what your opponent is doing. Its weaknesses include lack of early pressure and a slightly weaker economy that some other builds may provide. This is the quintessential good starting build to learn with, as you don’t have to make as many reads based on experience with the essentially free maphack the observer gives you.

1 gate fe
This is a slightly more advanced build that can give you a better economy leading up to the midgame. The biggest problem for this build is that you need to make some early game reads to properly respond to certain openings from your opponent. Because of this, I recommend you learn it after you master the 2 gate robo build.

PvZ
3 gate expand
This build is the first “standard” build of PvZ. It works on every map, and gets a healthy amount of units before expanding. After your expansion gets up safely, you have a wide variety of options open to you. These include but are not limited to hallucination scouting, 3-5 gate pushes, stargate pressure, fast robotics, or blink.

2 gate stargate
This build is not recommended much, because it’s not as “standard” as a 3 gate expand, but I would say it’s the 2nd most popular build that’s not forge fe. And according to oGsMC, it is the safest PvZ opener, and I agree with him. This build lets you get up an expansion even more safely than a 3 gate expand, as it shuts down any 2 base roach ling allins more easily. In addition, you get early game map control and can apply a little pressure.

Forge fast expand
Although this build is not viable on all maps, it is actually the best opening possible on a majority of maps. I do not recommend this as a first build for players, as the order of buildings is different for every map and versus every zerg opening you scout, so it can be confusing for newer players. However, I do recommend every single protoss player eventually learn this opening, as it is a necessity to not fall behind on certain maps.

PvP
2 Gate 3 Stalker Rush
Besides proxy gates and cannon rushes, pretty much the only early game threat in PvP is the 4 gate. Thus, all openings anyone can recommend will revolve around defending a 4 gate. This particular opening is very standard and doesn't require the level of execution as say a 1 gate defense would. Once you are comfortable with PvP and this opening, you can move onto other anti 4-gate builds such as those outlined here in the compilation of anti 4-gate builds guide.

Note: Changed my PvP recommendation from Geiko's 3 gate to 3 stalker rush
Moderator
monitor
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States2409 Posts
September 18 2011 19:02 GMT
#2
Thank you very much! I have been trying to learn Protoss and this is nice to see. I have been trying a 3gate expand in PvT also- do you think this is too unsafe to put on the list?
https://liquipedia.net/starcraft2/Monitor
monk
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States8477 Posts
September 18 2011 19:03 GMT
#3
On September 19 2011 04:02 monitor wrote:
Thank you very much! I have been trying to learn Protoss and this is nice to see. I have been trying a 3gate expand in PvT also- do you think this is too unsafe to put on the list?


The only problem is that it's close to a build order loss versus the 1-1-1 marine tank banshee push. Also, you fall too far behind a gasless expand.
Moderator
crocodile
Profile Joined February 2011
United States615 Posts
September 18 2011 19:05 GMT
#4
I would disagree about 2g Stargate being safe in pvz. It makes you extremely vulnerable to a hydra/ling attack. That timing window is huge because of how long it takes to get the tech to deal with it after this opener.
Master League Terran. Huge fan of Quantic Gaming and ROOTDestiny
Micket
Profile Joined April 2011
United Kingdom2163 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-18 19:10:44
September 18 2011 19:07 GMT
#5
I don't think there is a single safe PvT or PvP build. PvZ certainly does though. Having said that, you might want to include MC's defensive 3 gate for PvP and defensive 4 gate as well.
On September 19 2011 04:05 crocodile wrote:
I would disagree about 2g Stargate being safe in pvz. It makes you extremely vulnerable to a hydra/ling attack. That timing window is huge because of how long it takes to get the tech to deal with it after this opener.

I really think it depends on how greedy you are with the voidray and how much scouting you do with your penix. If you send the voidray straight to the 3rd and use phoenixes to kill the defending queens and don't scout, then I think it is unsafe. But scouting a 2 base Zerg, you can easily react with more gateways and cannons, get blink/robo and win.

Also, 2 hatch hydra is definitely a blind all in. It is not possible to go 'i see stargate, gonna go all in with hydras'
Swad1000
Profile Joined January 2011
United States366 Posts
September 18 2011 19:08 GMT
#6
Mc doing 3 gate expand FPVOD

+ Show Spoiler +


Mc doing 1 gate Fe vs Puma on XelNaga Caverns. This was the game where he came close to holding the 1-1-1.

http://www.sc2rep.com/replays/%28T%29EGPuma_vs_%28P%29oGsMC__sc2rep_com_20110822/12733

CaptainHaz
Profile Joined December 2010
United States240 Posts
September 18 2011 19:36 GMT
#7
Ive been toying with the idea of 3 gate expanding but cutting units if i scout gassless expand and dropping full chronoboost on probes. I think that having production but skewing in favor of economy isn't something entirely explored in the early game.
All of us warned you of the big white face.
uLysSeS1
Profile Joined March 2010
Germany210 Posts
September 18 2011 21:52 GMT
#8
oGsCarmel doing a 2 gate stargate:
http://www.sc2rep.com/replays/download?id=13017
a very safe and promising build indeed
derp.
crocodile
Profile Joined February 2011
United States615 Posts
September 19 2011 14:19 GMT
#9
On September 19 2011 04:07 Micket wrote:
I don't think there is a single safe PvT or PvP build. PvZ certainly does though. Having said that, you might want to include MC's defensive 3 gate for PvP and defensive 4 gate as well.
Show nested quote +
On September 19 2011 04:05 crocodile wrote:
I would disagree about 2g Stargate being safe in pvz. It makes you extremely vulnerable to a hydra/ling attack. That timing window is huge because of how long it takes to get the tech to deal with it after this opener.

I really think it depends on how greedy you are with the voidray and how much scouting you do with your penix. If you send the voidray straight to the 3rd and use phoenixes to kill the defending queens and don't scout, then I think it is unsafe. But scouting a 2 base Zerg, you can easily react with more gateways and cannons, get blink/robo and win.

Also, 2 hatch hydra is definitely a blind all in. It is not possible to go 'i see stargate, gonna go all in with hydras'


2 Hatch hydra is not a blind allin. If you get your lair at a standard timing instead of delaying it like many zergs do for a quick third, you can reactively make 8 hydras and a creep highway and rally lings for an easy win vs 2g Stargate. I don't think 2g Stargate provides the proper scouting to see this coming in time.

2g stargate should probably die to destinys ling infestor timing attack as well, although I've never tested it.
Master League Terran. Huge fan of Quantic Gaming and ROOTDestiny
monk
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States8477 Posts
September 19 2011 14:40 GMT
#10
On September 19 2011 23:19 crocodile wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 19 2011 04:07 Micket wrote:
I don't think there is a single safe PvT or PvP build. PvZ certainly does though. Having said that, you might want to include MC's defensive 3 gate for PvP and defensive 4 gate as well.
On September 19 2011 04:05 crocodile wrote:
I would disagree about 2g Stargate being safe in pvz. It makes you extremely vulnerable to a hydra/ling attack. That timing window is huge because of how long it takes to get the tech to deal with it after this opener.

I really think it depends on how greedy you are with the voidray and how much scouting you do with your penix. If you send the voidray straight to the 3rd and use phoenixes to kill the defending queens and don't scout, then I think it is unsafe. But scouting a 2 base Zerg, you can easily react with more gateways and cannons, get blink/robo and win.

Also, 2 hatch hydra is definitely a blind all in. It is not possible to go 'i see stargate, gonna go all in with hydras'


2 Hatch hydra is not a blind allin. If you get your lair at a standard timing instead of delaying it like many zergs do for a quick third, you can reactively make 8 hydras and a creep highway and rally lings for an easy win vs 2g Stargate. I don't think 2g Stargate provides the proper scouting to see this coming in time.

2g stargate should probably die to destinys ling infestor timing attack as well, although I've never tested it.


I highly disagree. With proper scouting with air units, cannons, and a collosi switch, you can easily fend off either of these timing attacks.
Moderator
Sleight
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
2471 Posts
September 19 2011 15:27 GMT
#11
I don't see how 2 base Hydra or the Destiny timing could go unscouted... Your Stargate goes down around 4:20-4:25 and your Void Ray is out putting on pressure within the next 2 minutes with Phoenixes on the way. Unless you do a cheesy-fast Lair the means that you have another 1-2 minutes of harrassing+scouting to see the attack coming, so plenty of timing to expand and cannon up vs Hydras. The Ling Timing takes forever and a Colossus is easy to get out, and your phoenixes force Burrow to be used which slows it down further.
One Love
crocodile
Profile Joined February 2011
United States615 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-19 16:25:11
September 19 2011 15:57 GMT
#12
All I'm saying is that I have never lost in master league to 1 base Stargate. Hydra ling kills it every time. If you want to 1v1 to prove this I'd be happy to do so and we can put the results here. Maybe all the protoss I've been playing are just bad (a strong possibility) so i'm quite curious.. msg me crocodile.703

Also, I'd love to hear the definition of a 'cheesy' lair timing.
Master League Terran. Huge fan of Quantic Gaming and ROOTDestiny
JLew
Profile Joined February 2011
Canada353 Posts
September 19 2011 16:09 GMT
#13
On September 19 2011 04:36 CaptainHaz wrote:
Ive been toying with the idea of 3 gate expanding but cutting units if i scout gassless expand and dropping full chronoboost on probes. I think that having production but skewing in favor of economy isn't something entirely explored in the early game.


I don't think that it would matter, you're still delaying your nexus too much and using a couple extra chronos on probes would not change that.
@Triumph_eSports . www.Triumph-eSports.com
rsvp
Profile Blog Joined January 2006
United States2266 Posts
September 19 2011 16:37 GMT
#14
Great idea monk.

This is going to be linked in the SQSA and Protoss help thread like two times per page now :p
Micket
Profile Joined April 2011
United Kingdom2163 Posts
September 19 2011 16:45 GMT
#15
On September 20 2011 00:57 crocodile wrote:
All I'm saying is that I have never lost in master league to 1 base Stargate. Hydra ling kills it every time. If you want to 1v1 to prove this I'd be happy to do so and we can put the results here. Maybe all the protoss I've been playing are just bad (a strong possibility) so i'm quite curious.. msg me crocodile.703

Also, I'd love to hear the definition of a 'cheesy' lair timing.

Cheesy lair timing is either before ling speed or getting lair straight after speed and not taking drones off gas.

And MC's stargate build is NOT 1 base. It is a 1 gate expand into 2 gate stargate which is awesome vs most all in cheeses.
monk
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States8477 Posts
September 19 2011 16:48 GMT
#16
On September 20 2011 00:57 crocodile wrote:
All I'm saying is that I have never lost in master league to 1 base Stargate. Hydra ling kills it every time. If you want to 1v1 to prove this I'd be happy to do so and we can put the results here. Maybe all the protoss I've been playing are just bad (a strong possibility) so i'm quite curious.. msg me crocodile.703

Also, I'd love to hear the definition of a 'cheesy' lair timing.


It's a stargate expand, not 1 base stargate. It's very common at high levels, and yes the protoss you've been playing are probably just bad.
Moderator
CaptainHaz
Profile Joined December 2010
United States240 Posts
September 19 2011 16:57 GMT
#17
On September 20 2011 01:09 JLew wrote:
I don't think that it would matter, you're still delaying your nexus too much and using a couple extra chronos on probes would not change that.

You're delaying it by a minute or so, and I don't agree that the chronoboost compensation on probes wouldn't make up for having the production and nexus out relatively quickly. It is similar to huk's 20 nexus into 3 gate pressue, save the reverse ordering in building and reactivity based on scouting intel.
All of us warned you of the big white face.
fishjie
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States1519 Posts
September 19 2011 17:07 GMT
#18
Thank you very much for this! I always feel lost and clueless whenever I play, because in addition to not being able to play very often, I'm also not sure what I should do, so this helps a great deal. When you have a chance, can you edit the OP with links to some replays or VODs?
kcdc
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2311 Posts
September 19 2011 17:11 GMT
#19
Thanks for the link. Surprised to see my thread still relevant a year+ after posting.
monk
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States8477 Posts
September 19 2011 17:18 GMT
#20
On September 20 2011 02:11 kcdc wrote:
Thanks for the link. Surprised to see my thread still relevant a year+ after posting.


NP, dear. I don't think your exact build is used much anymore, but the concepts are still the same and imo your thread is still the best source for a standard 1 gate expand.
Moderator
1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 5h 8m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nina 127
-ZergGirl 86
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 1894
Hyuk 112
910 72
sorry 54
Yoon 37
Bale 32
NotJumperer 18
yabsab 16
ZergMaN 16
Icarus 10
[ Show more ]
Noble 6
Dota 2
LuMiX1
League of Legends
JimRising 657
Reynor20
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox605
Mew2King43
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor126
Other Games
summit1g7524
WinterStarcraft400
PiGStarcraft274
Sick225
C9.Mang0213
Livibee161
ArmadaUGS45
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick663
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream199
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2323
League of Legends
• Stunt495
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
5h 8m
Stellar Fest
7h 8m
The PondCast
1d 4h
OSC
1d 7h
Stellar Fest
1d 7h
OSC
1d 18h
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
[ Show More ]
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.