• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:59
CEST 16:59
KST 23:59
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9916 users

[G] Safe PvX openings - Page 4

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Belial88
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States5217 Posts
February 01 2012 22:15 GMT
#61
PvZ
3 gate expand
This build is the first “standard” build of PvZ. It works on every map, and gets a healthy amount of units before expanding. After your expansion gets up safely, you have a wide variety of options open to you. These include but are not limited to hallucination scouting, 3-5 gate pushes, stargate pressure, fast robotics, or blink.

2 gate stargate
This build is not recommended much, because it’s not as “standard” as a 3 gate expand, but I would say it’s the 2nd most popular build that’s not forge fe. And according to oGsMC, it is the safest PvZ opener, and I agree with him. This build lets you get up an expansion even more safely than a 3 gate expand, as it shuts down any 2 base roach ling allins more easily. In addition, you get early game map control and can apply a little pressure.


You make it sound like 2 gate stargate is safer than 3 gate sentry against roach/ling all-ins. Could you provide some replay/Pro vod examples where roach/ling all-ins worked against 3 gate sentry expand? I can't imagine any all-in killing 3 gate sentry expand, I always figured it was the safest build for Toss to do in terms of dealing with all-ins while playing blindly (why you would play blind and not scout I don't know, but just saying).

Anyways, I wanted to ask you, since you are posting about safe builds, what are some unsafe builds?

I was just wondering what your thoughts were on any sort of 'unsafe' P play, and what a Zerg like me could do to solidly exploit it.

Also, I'd love your thoughts on a Zerg taking a fast third vs 3 gate sentry expand, such as how can zerg hold it best, what are Toss' options to pressure it (ie do they add gateways and push, or just push with the 3 gates? what time is toss trying to push by, etc). Recently I've been going fast third vs 1/3g expands (35ish third and roach warren, pump pure units at 40 supply vs 1 gate expand and 45 supply vs 3 gate expand as it seems 1 gate expand hits earlier and harder, if that makes sense, i dont know, i'm still working it out but i find this has been working really well).

Yes, I'm aware of the whole "ffe vs 3 gate" argument, and "omg zerg is so far behind 2 base lair vs 2 base P" but I'm not getting into that here (i already have my thoughts on the matter, anyways i think you agree with me on it anyways).
How to build a $500 i7-3770K Ultimate Computer:http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=392709 ******** 100% Safe Razorless Delid Method! http://www.overclock.net/t/1376206/how-to-delid-your-ivy-bridge-cpu-with-out-a-razor-blade/0_100
Selendis
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Australia509 Posts
February 01 2012 22:33 GMT
#62
I came into this thread thinking the "X" in PvX was referring to random players; that you were covering an awesome new build that specifically targets randomers and their metagame nuances. But apparently you are just covering the bread and butter builds of protoss. How dissapointing.

I already use the builds you listed too, except for 2 gate robo and 3 gate sentry which imho are terrible builds that put you way behind economically.

Funny that you mention "safe" play is better than all-ins though, I always transition to an all-in if I see the right trigger/s. It's silly not to with warpgate technology at your disposal.
Probes are sooo OP
monk
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States8477 Posts
February 01 2012 23:16 GMT
#63
On February 02 2012 07:15 Belial88 wrote:
Show nested quote +
PvZ
3 gate expand
This build is the first “standard” build of PvZ. It works on every map, and gets a healthy amount of units before expanding. After your expansion gets up safely, you have a wide variety of options open to you. These include but are not limited to hallucination scouting, 3-5 gate pushes, stargate pressure, fast robotics, or blink.

2 gate stargate
This build is not recommended much, because it’s not as “standard” as a 3 gate expand, but I would say it’s the 2nd most popular build that’s not forge fe. And according to oGsMC, it is the safest PvZ opener, and I agree with him. This build lets you get up an expansion even more safely than a 3 gate expand, as it shuts down any 2 base roach ling allins more easily. In addition, you get early game map control and can apply a little pressure.


You make it sound like 2 gate stargate is safer than 3 gate sentry against roach/ling all-ins. Could you provide some replay/Pro vod examples where roach/ling all-ins worked against 3 gate sentry expand? I can't imagine any all-in killing 3 gate sentry expand, I always figured it was the safest build for Toss to do in terms of dealing with all-ins while playing blindly (why you would play blind and not scout I don't know, but just saying).

Anyways, I wanted to ask you, since you are posting about safe builds, what are some unsafe builds?

I was just wondering what your thoughts were on any sort of 'unsafe' P play, and what a Zerg like me could do to solidly exploit it.

Also, I'd love your thoughts on a Zerg taking a fast third vs 3 gate sentry expand, such as how can zerg hold it best, what are Toss' options to pressure it (ie do they add gateways and push, or just push with the 3 gates? what time is toss trying to push by, etc). Recently I've been going fast third vs 1/3g expands (35ish third and roach warren, pump pure units at 40 supply vs 1 gate expand and 45 supply vs 3 gate expand as it seems 1 gate expand hits earlier and harder, if that makes sense, i dont know, i'm still working it out but i find this has been working really well).

Yes, I'm aware of the whole "ffe vs 3 gate" argument, and "omg zerg is so far behind 2 base lair vs 2 base P" but I'm not getting into that here (i already have my thoughts on the matter, anyways i think you agree with me on it anyways).

It's pretty obvious that 2 gate stargate is better vs roach ling allin. There was a whole month where 3 gate expand died to Roach ling allins. Find the vod of Losiria vs Alicia in the GSL about a year ago. Pretty much every 3 gate in the month directly after that died to a roach ling allin. It took some innovations and a lot better sim city/control from toss from them to finally being hold this allin. One reason 3 gate got less popular is that because of the roach ling allin, things like 3 gate into fast stargate/robo/twilight became unsafe.

Unsafe builds, by the definition of this thread, are things like dt expand, blink all-in, 4 gate, etc....

You can reactively take a 3rd on most maps versus 1/3 gate expand as zerg as long as you're sure they're not going to nexus cancel.
Moderator
monk
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States8477 Posts
February 01 2012 23:17 GMT
#64
On February 02 2012 07:33 Selendis wrote:
I came into this thread thinking the "X" in PvX was referring to random players; that you were covering an awesome new build that specifically targets randomers and their metagame nuances. But apparently you are just covering the bread and butter builds of protoss. How dissapointing.

I already use the builds you listed too, except for 2 gate robo and 3 gate sentry which imho are terrible builds that put you way behind economically.

Funny that you mention "safe" play is better than all-ins though, I always transition to an all-in if I see the right trigger/s. It's silly not to with warpgate technology at your disposal.

It's geared towards newer players, so 2 gate robo and 3 gate sentry are perfectly fine.
Moderator
opsayo
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
591 Posts
February 01 2012 23:42 GMT
#65
On February 02 2012 07:33 Selendis wrote:
I came into this thread thinking the "X" in PvX was referring to random players; that you were covering an awesome new build that specifically targets randomers and their metagame nuances. But apparently you are just covering the bread and butter builds of protoss. How dissapointing.

I already use the builds you listed too, except for 2 gate robo and 3 gate sentry which imho are terrible builds that put you way behind economically.

Funny that you mention "safe" play is better than all-ins though, I always transition to an all-in if I see the right trigger/s. It's silly not to with warpgate technology at your disposal.

If you already know all the standard builds for each matchup I imagine you should already be able to deduce what the most consistently standard build vs random should be for each race.
Selendis
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Australia509 Posts
February 02 2012 03:16 GMT
#66
On February 02 2012 08:17 NrGmonk wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 02 2012 07:33 Selendis wrote:
I came into this thread thinking the "X" in PvX was referring to random players; that you were covering an awesome new build that specifically targets randomers and their metagame nuances. But apparently you are just covering the bread and butter builds of protoss. How dissapointing.

I already use the builds you listed too, except for 2 gate robo and 3 gate sentry which imho are terrible builds that put you way behind economically.

Funny that you mention "safe" play is better than all-ins though, I always transition to an all-in if I see the right trigger/s. It's silly not to with warpgate technology at your disposal.

It's geared towards newer players, so 2 gate robo and 3 gate sentry are perfectly fine.


Oh my bad. In that case, I take that back, it's a good guide, thanks for doing something simple yet effective to help out the community!
Probes are sooo OP
Belial88
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States5217 Posts
February 02 2012 13:26 GMT
#67
It's pretty obvious that 2 gate stargate is better vs roach ling allin. There was a whole month where 3 gate expand died to Roach ling allins. Find the vod of Losiria vs Alicia in the GSL about a year ago. Pretty much every 3 gate in the month directly after that died to a roach ling allin. It took some innovations and a lot better sim city/control from toss from them to finally being hold this allin. One reason 3 gate got less popular is that because of the roach ling allin, things like 3 gate into fast stargate/robo/twilight became unsafe.


Thanks, I'll look into them. I'm assuming once toss learned better control/sim city, that 3 gate became popular again. But the only reason you don't see it as much now (now that such roach/ling all-ins can be held off with 3 gate sentry with better understanding/control) because of the large maps (ie you see 3 gate sentry everytime on crossfire still).

How to build a $500 i7-3770K Ultimate Computer:http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=392709 ******** 100% Safe Razorless Delid Method! http://www.overclock.net/t/1376206/how-to-delid-your-ivy-bridge-cpu-with-out-a-razor-blade/0_100
iamke55
Profile Blog Joined April 2004
United States2806 Posts
February 07 2012 09:37 GMT
#68
The forge FE build you linked is outdated. I think the Heroic FFE thread is a suitable replacement.
During practice session, I discovered very good build against zerg. -Bisu[Shield]
KaiserJohan
Profile Joined May 2010
Sweden1808 Posts
February 07 2012 09:45 GMT
#69
I think you forgot to mention PvZ 1gate expand, something I do in every game that is not FFE or occasional 1base all-in
England will fight to the last American
Jarven
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
Sweden16 Posts
April 14 2012 13:19 GMT
#70
Is these builds outdated or can i still use them to learn how to play protos?
monk
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States8477 Posts
April 14 2012 21:57 GMT
#71
On April 14 2012 22:19 Jarven wrote:
Is these builds outdated or can i still use them to learn how to play protos?

The builds are still all viable and 1 gate fe, ffe, and 3 stalker rush are still considered the standards of their respective matchups.
Moderator
reDDevil7
Profile Joined February 2011
South Africa72 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-19 09:40:16
April 19 2012 09:36 GMT
#72
What would be the best strategy to counter a Terran that does a 1/1/1?

I find it hard to hold off a Terran that does this all-in when i have expanded or even when i haven't. They will normally get a Raven with a (PDD) *Point Defense Drone* and that makes your stalkers absolutely useless against the Banshees and tanks.
"To dream the impossible dream, to fight the unbeatable foe, to bear with unbearable sorrow, to run where the brave dare not go."
monk
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States8477 Posts
April 19 2012 09:40 GMT
#73
On April 19 2012 18:36 reDDevil7 wrote:
What would be the best strategy to counter a Terran that does a 1/1/1?

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=284255
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=269312
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=250379
Moderator
HKnNor
Profile Joined May 2012
Norway8 Posts
May 21 2012 07:44 GMT
#74
This kind of post was exactly what i was looking for, thanks!
LosZergs
Profile Joined August 2011
United States100 Posts
May 21 2012 07:52 GMT
#75
I love this! I recently switched to protoss thanks!
spam F!
Ikonic
Profile Joined October 2011
Germany5 Posts
May 21 2012 20:48 GMT
#76
Awesome thread would like to see this for terran (:
Czarkasm
Profile Joined July 2011
United States22 Posts
July 09 2012 15:14 GMT
#77
Are these builds still viable/accurate?
Abusion
Profile Joined March 2011
United Kingdom184 Posts
July 09 2012 15:16 GMT
#78
On July 10 2012 00:14 Czarkasm wrote:
Are these builds still viable/accurate?


yes
Pylons + Probes
ShaolinZorg
Profile Joined February 2013
Belgium47 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-21 07:14:26
February 21 2013 07:13 GMT
#79
Hello,

I have started playing with WoL, can i learn these builds then switch to HoS and continue to use
Them safely or should I learn something else right now ? ( i preordered Hos but i don' t have access to the beta so I must continue on WoL

Thanks
Qui veut voyager loin ménage sa monture
Teoita
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Italy12248 Posts
February 21 2013 11:13 GMT
#80
I'd recommend learning a few builds from this thread instead
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=284255

Since this guide is a bit outdated.
ModeratorProtoss all-ins are like a wok. You can throw whatever you want in there and it will turn out alright.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 1
IntoTheiNu 685
ComeBackTV 482
SteadfastSC357
Rex135
CosmosSc2 59
EnkiAlexander 42
LiquipediaDiscussion
Kung Fu Cup
11:00
2026 Week 25
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 357
ProTech139
Rex 135
CosmosSc2 59
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 47426
Jaedong 1276
Hyuk 908
Soma 845
Mini 630
BeSt 571
Horang2 568
Soulkey 431
EffOrt 427
Larva 391
[ Show more ]
Stork 326
ZerO 325
Last 265
Snow 255
ggaemo 253
Rush 222
Killer 78
hero 76
Mind 62
Free 53
Shinee 38
sorry 35
Shine 30
Sharp 30
ToSsGirL 23
Bale 22
Terrorterran 22
Trap 17
yabsab 17
HiyA 15
Rock 12
Sacsri 6
Dota 2
Gorgc7996
qojqva1183
Dendi806
Counter-Strike
Fnx 694
x6flipin248
markeloff125
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes2294
Khaldor1935
Other Games
ArmadaUGS2955
singsing2108
olofmeister1266
hiko925
B2W.Neo869
byalli402
Liquid`VortiX179
KnowMe117
Mew2King79
QueenE78
Trikslyr17
ZerO(Twitch)15
Railgan13
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream107
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH303
• Kozan
• mYiSmile10
• Migwel
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• IndyKCrew
• intothetv
StarCraft: Brood War
• ZZZeroYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 1970
League of Legends
• Nemesis1811
• Jankos1255
• TFBlade760
Other Games
• Shiphtur275
• WagamamaTV200
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
19h 1m
OSC
22h 1m
Stellar Fest
22h 1m
OSC
1d 9h
Stellar Fest
1d 22h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.