• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:02
CEST 21:02
KST 04:02
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
MLB/Baseball 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7001 users

999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors. Best DS game?

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All
blabber
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
United States4448 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-12-18 23:32:55
December 18 2010 23:31 GMT
#1
If you have a Nintendo DS, you NEED TO PLAY THIS GAME. This game messes with your head

I'm not good at writing up reviews for a game so I'll leave it to the pros...
some excerpts from reviews:
IGN (9 out of 10):
It's been three days since I started playing. Three days that stretched into three nights. Late nights, staying up well into the A.M. hours. It wasn't a choice. It wasn't a decision, ahead of time, to play like that. But as my mind began to become more and more intertwined into the world I'd begun exploring, it seemed impossible to stop. I couldn't stop. I was playing 999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors.

This is the game that you might have heard described as a text adventure, or a visual novel, translated for our American market and given an M-for-Mature content rating -- a rarity on DS. And though it is all those things, those things fail to describe what you'll truly find in this box: One complete and total mindf***.


Destructoid (10 out of 10)
To give you an idea of just how engrossed I was in 999, I stayed up past 5 AM several nights in a row plunging down every possible avenue. I don't know when was the last time I was so fascinated by a game, especially one as story-heavy as this. When I look back at the small list of quibbles -- having to repeat escape rooms and fast-forward through text on subsequent runs -- I can't honestly say that those faults detracted from the overall experience in the least!

The puzzle portion of Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors is substantial and enjoyable enough in its own right, but it's the story that keeps you hooked. Here is proof that videogame narrative can be everything we wish it could be and more. It gets you thinking, pulls at your fears and emotions, and hits you with a few perception-altering twists. What else can I do but give this game my highest recommendation?


some notes:
- this game is very text-driven. Lots of reading
- there are multiple endings. I recommend playing at least your first playthrough on your own, without any walkthrough. Getting the ending that ties the whole story together takes multiple playthroughs so it may help to use a walkthrough to get it after your first time playing it(up to you if you want to)
- this game was given a M for Mature rating for a reason. Just like you wouldn't let your toddler play Grand Theft Auto, don't let them play this game

Anyways I'd say this is the best game I've played on the DS of my 4+ years of owning one. I normally put Phoenix Wright and Professor Layton at the top, but I think I'm ready to put 999 above them
blabberrrrr
MiniTsunami
Profile Joined June 2010
United States274 Posts
December 19 2010 00:05 GMT
#2
Sounds like an awesome game, I'll definitely be trying this out now!! Thanks for the recommendation, my DS has been gathering dust for quite some time now :D
Learn from the mistakes of others, because you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.
Kyhol
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Canada2575 Posts
December 19 2010 00:16 GMT
#3
This game looks amazing. I may have to check it out.
Wishing you well.
ZeromuS
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Canada13424 Posts
December 19 2010 00:54 GMT
#4
oh thanks for the recommendation I love text based ds games/visual novel style. I also remember seeing the trailer for this a while ago now and thank you for reminding me about it. Im off to "get" it now
StrategyRTS forever | @ZeromuS_plays | www.twitch.tv/Zeromus_
Dacendoran
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States825 Posts
December 19 2010 00:57 GMT
#5
I am now thinking about getting this game for my girlfriend, how gorey/violent is it or is it more text based. Do you think its something a typical female rpg player whos a bit squeamish would like?
blabber
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
United States4448 Posts
December 19 2010 01:19 GMT
#6
there is definitely some graphic/gory images (ie. lots of blood) but most of it is from the text you read. The game has no rpg elements whatsoever, it is purely a visual novel/puzzle game. Squeamish people will probably get uncomfortable but I don't think it's bad enough that people will get nauseous

as for pirating the game, I believe it has some anti-piracy thing where it will freeze early on in the game. I don't know if people found a workaround or not but the best way to play it with a guarantee of no problems is to buy the game!
blabberrrrr
lepape
Profile Joined November 2005
Canada557 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-12-19 01:42:58
December 19 2010 01:42 GMT
#7
This game seems really good. How does it compare to games such as Hotel Dusk or Pheonix Wright?
Minzy
Profile Joined May 2010
Australia387 Posts
December 19 2010 01:45 GMT
#8
some westerners finally finding VN's. hell just froze over.
Huh...
blabber
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
United States4448 Posts
December 19 2010 03:19 GMT
#9
On December 19 2010 10:42 lepape wrote:
This game seems really good. How does it compare to games such as Hotel Dusk or Pheonix Wright?

If you're into those types of games you will love 999... one playthrough is not nearly as long as those games, but the fact that you have to play the game multiple times to find the truth gives the game its length.
blabberrrrr
kane]deth[
Profile Joined October 2009
Canada368 Posts
December 19 2010 04:58 GMT
#10
I just finished the second puzzle and I must say this reminds me a lot of those 'escape the room' games I used to love as a kid. I remember staying up late with a friend to beat those too.
lucent_luna
Profile Joined August 2010
United States17 Posts
December 19 2010 05:00 GMT
#11
For those who are going to play the game, all I'm gonna say, without spoiling anything, is:

"she was afraid to be alone with another guy"

You'll know what I'm talking about when the time comes, and lulz will ensue.
Fdragon
Profile Joined May 2010
United States96 Posts
December 19 2010 05:01 GMT
#12
Is it like Higurashi o.0?
If so it sounds awesome and I might grab it.
ZvT makes me Sad Face =(
EchOne
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
United States2906 Posts
December 19 2010 05:07 GMT
#13
I actually saw this while browsing DS games and looking for resources for GS:Dark Dawn. It seemed pretty intriguing, but now that there's a TL recommendation for it, I'm compelled to try it out.
面白くない世の中, 面白くすればいいさ
Spazer
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
Canada8036 Posts
December 19 2010 05:11 GMT
#14
On December 19 2010 10:45 Minzy wrote:
some westerners finally finding VN's. hell just froze over.

That was my first thought, lol. Apparently the writer for this story is the same guy who did Ever 17.
Liquipedia
surLoop
Profile Joined May 2010
United States80 Posts
December 19 2010 06:34 GMT
#15
Just played it for a lot longer than I expected to... rather difficult to put down. Definitely gets my recommendation as well.
Chimon
Profile Joined January 2009
Canada82 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-12-19 07:06:40
December 19 2010 07:06 GMT
#16
999 will probably be one of the best and but most underated 2010 NDS game (overshadowed by GS:DD). The plot/writing is amazing - Loved the dialogue at the "elevator scene" xD

Also, about the true ending:

+ Show Spoiler +
That was probably the most emotional sudoku I've ever had to complete.
Kinky
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States4126 Posts
December 19 2010 07:47 GMT
#17
I'm definitely picking this up after I finish Golden Sun
Hesmyrr
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Canada5776 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-12-19 08:10:19
December 19 2010 08:07 GMT
#18
Already played it. Serves as decent job for DS VN platformer, right up there with Time Hollow methinks. The writer seems to have preserved his penchant for trying to wow us with one final explosive 'revelation' just like he did on Ever17 though- also puzzle skip option for new game+ would have been much more preferable.

SPOILER
+ Show Spoiler +
The puzzle was very easy, but I guess that's expected to be for game designed for childrens rofl. Also kinda disappointed me it was not indenpendent storylines for each play like Fate: Stay Night, Secret Game: Killer Queen, Higurashi/Umineko etc. to keep things fresh.
"If watching the MSL finals makes you a progamer, then anyone in Korea can do it." - Ha Tae Ki
Hesmyrr
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Canada5776 Posts
December 19 2010 08:19 GMT
#19
I also heard Misshitsu no Sacrifice (密室のサクリファイス) was also excellent puzzle VN for PSP, but unfortunately it's not getting translated OTL
"If watching the MSL finals makes you a progamer, then anyone in Korea can do it." - Ha Tae Ki
G_Wen
Profile Joined September 2009
Canada525 Posts
December 19 2010 08:50 GMT
#20
I've been playing this game for the past 3 hours and it is FANTASTIC.
I'm definitely picking this up after I finish Golden Sun
Kinky, do yourself a favor. Drop Golden Sun right now and play this game instead (or at least play golden sun 1 or 2). This game is just fantastic the puzzles are what I expected from Dark Dawn but never got. The story is what I would expect from a Golden Sun sequel but never got.

This game is like Saw+Phoenix Wright+Professor Layton+Myst. An absolute gem.
ESV Mapmaking Team
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Monday Night Weeklies
16:00
#65
RotterdaM976
TKL 315
TaKeTV 288
IndyStarCraft 221
BRAT_OK 118
ZombieGrub19
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 976
TKL 315
IndyStarCraft 221
MaxPax 138
BRAT_OK 118
UpATreeSC 90
JuggernautJason35
ZombieGrub19
EmSc Tv 19
Nathanias 17
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 698
ggaemo 158
White-Ra 127
firebathero 100
Barracks 61
910 52
Killer 30
Trap 24
Bale 21
Shine 18
[ Show more ]
ToSsGirL 17
yabsab 8
Dota 2
qojqva4537
Counter-Strike
Fnx 796
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby7574
crisheroes1819
Liquid`Hasu1639
Trikslyr60
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi4244
singsing1661
summit1g994
Beastyqt762
ceh9652
B2W.Neo387
shahzam273
C9.Mang0154
ArmadaUGS132
KnowMe128
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream388
Other Games
BasetradeTV198
StarCraft 2
EmSc Tv 19
EmSc2Tv 19
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• kabyraGe 178
• Reevou 6
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 25
• Azhi_Dahaki17
• FirePhoenix13
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis2321
• TFBlade834
Other Games
• Shiphtur252
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
14h 58m
Afreeca Starleague
14h 58m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 4h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 15h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.