• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:56
CEST 11:56
KST 18:56
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)55Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7992 users

[M] (2) Illusory Garden

Forum Index > SC2 Maps & Custom Games
Post a Reply
Antares777
Profile Joined June 2010
United States1971 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-12-14 21:46:33
December 14 2010 02:21 GMT
#1
Hey guys, this is my first map since... wow, almost a year. I got frustrated with the editor for a lot of reasons, but now I'm starting to think it was just me. Well, I have a new map that is somewhat reminiscent of Sin Chupung Ryeoung (someone please tell me how to spell that) and Destination. That being said, it is a rather linear map that also others "safe" expansions where you are not forced to expand in the direction of you opponent. The long rush distances and large amount of bases tend to make this map favor long macro-oriented games, which I love.

I still have not published it yet, but have redesigned a few things. Check out the revised image.

Mains are located at the top-left and bottom-right positions.

Overview
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Overview (revision)
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


51 in game seconds from main ramp to main ramp.

Something is seriously wrong with the images, it's like upside down or something, so if the map feels different in game, don't worry about it.

I added destructible rocks in several locations to choke the map up a little and contain Zerg (at least until they destroy the rocks). I also raised some of the ground in the middle of the map, made a small choke there and added LoSBs. I also added destructible rocks to the natural choke, ramp that leads into the third base, and ramp that leads into the fifths.

There is a backdoor into the natural, which is supposed to make gameplay more dynamic and allow greedy fast-expanding players to get punished if they aren't careful and if the attacker is aggressive, even though the map is very linear. I removed the destructible rocks there, because it didn't make sense. Now, the naturals are rather open, so that Terran/Protoss can stop a Zerg expansion more easily.

The middle of the map connects to the fifths/fourths (it's hard for me to tell which base would be the preferred fourth) and allows a player to attack the thirds without passing through the middle and onto enemy territory, so it's kind of like a sneak attack.

LoSBs are located at the expansion above/below the mains, at the side attack path that connects into the middle and in between the third and natural cliff. I added XWTs in the revision. There are four of them. They are supposed to help Terran and Protoss fend off Zerg.

I tried my best to make it look aesthetically pleasing as well as improved gameplay than my other maps, which I vaguely remember, but I do remember that they were terrible. I think I'm heading in the right direction with this map though.

I encourage those reading this thread to give me the utmost cruel criticism on everything this map has to other so that I can make better maps in the future! Mainly, I want to know whether or not I'm heading the right direction to fix this problem.
jdsarge
Profile Joined October 2010
United States308 Posts
December 14 2010 02:59 GMT
#2
Post the file so we can look around a bit more. I love your description and the image is nice, but I'd like to test it out for myself.
Randomaccount#77123
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States5003 Posts
December 14 2010 03:08 GMT
#3
--- Nuked ---
Antares777
Profile Joined June 2010
United States1971 Posts
December 14 2010 03:36 GMT
#4
On December 14 2010 12:08 Barrin wrote:
Oh... no wonder you stopped making maps... + Show Spoiler +
LOL JK SRY SRY <3


Anyways I like it ^_^_^ Once you've expanded past your natural, defending all of your bases properly seems to coax your army closer and closer to the enemy, which most maps do actually, but I like the way it's done here.

You've got some skill with the outside decorations dude, seriously pretty damn good.

I think you should make the textures inside the playing field blend more though (I can give a few tips on how to do this if you want). Also you used the same textures throughout the whole map. It's best to give certain areas certain themes IMO.

Pylons might be able to be placed in certain areas (behind natural rocks, on the 5th(4th?)) that would let you warp into the main (which isn't necessarily bad in this map). In fact, that might be one of the only thing in this map with high spectator value >.< >.<

I don't see any real issues with this map TBH. It has flavor. I would only make changes after testing at this point o.O


Yeah, I stopped making maps because I COULDN'T DO IT and moved onto Halo: Reach forge, were I have made some awesome stuff.

Thanks! I always considered my aesthetics to be the worst.

I'll keep that texture thing in mind. I might give certain areas themes when I publish this (hopefully sometime this week, Halo: Reach MLG map submissions end Friday and that will be my #1 priority, then school, then SCII).

I like the idea of having pylons warping things into the main, it keeps you focused!

I'm going to reread your spectator value thread to get a better idea of what I can do better.
monitor
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States2409 Posts
December 14 2010 04:10 GMT
#5
I'm just going to be completely honest, but don't take it personally. This map could use some work balance wise, and spectator wise.

1) Turtling. Expansions can't be harassed. Main to main distance is huge. The fastest path is the widest. Four bases are easily defended by two small chokes.

To fix this, I suggest making the fourths cliffable. Also, make the thirds a bit closer but remove 1 gas. And cut out the center of the map and squish the two halves together. Aim to have playable size around 128x108. This may require remaking the entire map, I'm not sure.

2) Natural. Realistically, the back door isn't going to be used because the main entrance is by far closer, and already extremely wide. And its on high ground. And its blocked by rocks.

Twisting the natural is the first step to fixing this flaw. Curve it more compactly into the main, and allow it to be walled off much easier. Then remove the rocks, but make the back door tight (2rax or so). Test to make sure you can't tank the nat from across the high ground!

3) Aesthetics. From above, it looks okay. When in-game though, areas should differ. Make individual sections recognizable, otherwise it will seem chaotic and unorganized. Seperate bases, levels, and space by using different textures, but also make sure they aren't too abrupt transitions.

https://liquipedia.net/starcraft2/Monitor
G_Wen
Profile Joined September 2009
Canada525 Posts
December 14 2010 04:30 GMT
#6
This map is just too freaking large. Zerg players can comfortably drone away for far too long before getting punished. The middle is also extremely wide open and generally uninteresting.

Like monitor said I do feel the BD is a bit unreasonable to attack, the same problem appeared when we were testing Neo Avalanche.

I'm partial to the decorations but the cliffs surrounding your map are very nice.

The main problem with the map is still it's size and that will prevent other gameplay problems from being discovered until it's fixed.
ESV Mapmaking Team
Randomaccount#77123
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States5003 Posts
December 14 2010 09:07 GMT
#7
--- Nuked ---
Koagel
Profile Joined October 2010
Austria167 Posts
December 14 2010 09:14 GMT
#8
I don't think the rock textures should be used as the main texture for the paths. Most of them have very easily recognisable patterns, and if textures suffer from this, you usually want to hide it. You can hardly do so if the texture is used on larger areas.
Also, try to let the textures fade out into the direction of the paths. Don't sandwich textures, you want them to fade out in one direction usually, not have a blot of one texture inside of another.
Also, you don't want large areas where you have 50% rock texture and 50% grass on top of each other. Looks strange.
The meanders between the hills look nice and the general colour theme of the map is fine too. You'll surely get to it when you start mapping more often than once a year. ;D
Antares777
Profile Joined June 2010
United States1971 Posts
December 14 2010 11:36 GMT
#9
@Monitor - ...And that would be me subconsciously favoring Zerg. Dammit, that is like the third time... I'll try to improve the map to make it less Zerg favored, thanks for your help.

@G Wen - I'll try to improve the map to make it a bit more reasonable for all races and fix the backdoor.

@Barrin - SCII Map Analyzer doesn't work for Macs the last time I checked (does it now?).

@Koagel - The rock texture was the lightest in the title set, so I thought that it would make a good path for the map. Haha yeah I should map more on SCII, and next map I'll make something ridiculously simple lol.
Antares777
Profile Joined June 2010
United States1971 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-12-14 21:48:22
December 14 2010 19:47 GMT
#10
I have been thinking about removing the rock and adding LoSBs at the natural backdoor. I'm too lazy to entirely redesign the main + natural, but I think that I can squish the bottom and top of the map together without much trouble. This will force me to change the middle a little bit.

What do you guys think?

EDIT: I just updated the OP, so please, take a look.
EatThePath
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States3943 Posts
December 15 2010 08:18 GMT
#11
I like the LOS at the natural back entrance. The complaints about the size are fair. If I had to guess, I would say you're just not well-acquainted with the size of things, it takes a long time. For example, the amount of space at the third is just huge, unless you intentionally want a giant field there. You could easily make a version of this map that straight 75% shrinks it. You would lose a little of the character of how the center flows into the expos, but not destroying the essence. I wouldn't be so heavyhanded though, it might be useful to try tweaking your way there.

The towers in the center are kind of the same syndrome. They don't really do anything except cover more terrain, which looks fun to control, but isn't that valuable to control. One thing to bear in mind with the rocks is that they are less and less important as the game goes on. By the time players are bumping elbows at the 4ths/5ths, their armies will annihilate rocks too quickly for their presence to make a big impact.

I love the general mood of the aesthetics. Clean it up if you intend to make a trophy map, otherwise I wouldn't worry about it too much besides just practicing (which is certainly worth it).

Oh, and <3 forge! GL with the MLG contest.
Comprehensive strategic intention: DNE
Antares777
Profile Joined June 2010
United States1971 Posts
December 16 2010 01:49 GMT
#12
On December 15 2010 17:18 EatThePath wrote:
I like the LOS at the natural back entrance. The complaints about the size are fair. If I had to guess, I would say you're just not well-acquainted with the size of things, it takes a long time. For example, the amount of space at the third is just huge, unless you intentionally want a giant field there. You could easily make a version of this map that straight 75% shrinks it. You would lose a little of the character of how the center flows into the expos, but not destroying the essence. I wouldn't be so heavyhanded though, it might be useful to try tweaking your way there.

The towers in the center are kind of the same syndrome. They don't really do anything except cover more terrain, which looks fun to control, but isn't that valuable to control. One thing to bear in mind with the rocks is that they are less and less important as the game goes on. By the time players are bumping elbows at the 4ths/5ths, their armies will annihilate rocks too quickly for their presence to make a big impact.

I love the general mood of the aesthetics. Clean it up if you intend to make a trophy map, otherwise I wouldn't worry about it too much besides just practicing (which is certainly worth it).

Oh, and <3 forge! GL with the MLG contest.


Size is my #1 problem on making maps. I think I must have really bad depth perception or something, and I vaguely remember making a map that was like 90 x 90 or something ridiculously small and not even realizing it until I tested out. I guess that is what I have to think more thoroughly on in the future.

You're right about the rocks, I thought having them would help on earlier in the game, but later can be destroyed and make it more Zerg favored. This would give Terran and Protoss better chances of not getting totally annihilated at the beginning and then when everyone has an army, micro gets more and more important.

Thanks! I'm probably not going to win the MLG contest, two other maps that I am familiar with (that I believe are superior to my own) have already been entered, but we'll see.


I started working on a new map instead of resizing this one, I'll get it up on TL in two or three days max.
Subversion
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
South Africa3627 Posts
December 16 2010 03:23 GMT
#13
i wanna play it :<
Antares777
Profile Joined June 2010
United States1971 Posts
December 16 2010 11:57 GMT
#14
i wanna play it :<


I can resize this one too, but I really want to make a good map first. So after I publish the other map that I am working on, I'll resize and fix this one and then publish it, so everyone can play on it.
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 4m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 15108
firebathero 2253
Bisu 649
Hyuk 413
BeSt 199
Horang2 169
Sexy 123
EffOrt 115
Leta 106
Larva 104
[ Show more ]
Killer 80
Dewaltoss 79
Soma 78
Light 77
ZerO 72
ToSsGirL 43
Sharp 41
soO 41
Rush 33
Pusan 31
Shinee 24
Aegong 24
Bale 21
NaDa 19
Sacsri 17
Hm[arnc] 15
sorry 12
JulyZerg 11
Noble 5
Terrorterran 3
Dota 2
Fuzer 158
Counter-Strike
shoxiejesuss1172
byalli697
kRYSTAL_32
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1035
crisheroes636
Other Games
gofns30143
singsing1625
olofmeister1065
ceh9660
Mew2King101
ArmadaUGS47
ZerO(Twitch)17
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream176
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix5
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2383
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
3h 4m
OSC
12h 4m
CranKy Ducklings
1d
Online Event
1d 1h
FEL
1d 6h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 7h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 9h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.