• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 17:10
CEST 23:10
KST 06:10
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)50Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7758 users

Torchlight II

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 93 94 95 Next
TeamLiquid Steam Group for Torchlight 2
{CC}StealthBlue
Profile Blog Joined January 2003
United States41117 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-20 00:27:19
October 10 2009 03:32 GMT
#1
I think everyone in TL remembers Flagship Studios and Hellgate London, and their sibling game called Mythos that never saw the light of day. Well when FSS went under the team that was working on Mythos in Seattle formed another company called Runic Games which is being headed by Travis Baldree, and Max Schaefer. A couple months after they formed they revealed what they were working on a game called:

[image loading]


In less than three weeks the single player version will be available to buy which also features a mod pack where players can use modding tools to edit levels and so forth. After the single player version is out the door they will start working on the MMO version in hopes to release said version 18 months after the singe player.

The Torchlight Fact Sheet:

http://files-ns.perfectworld.com/www/media/files/Torchlight_Factsheet.doc

Pax 2009 Trailer:



Dev diary:



Steam Group:
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/tltl2#
"Smokey, this is not 'Nam, this is bowling. There are rules."
Hurricane
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
United States3939 Posts
October 10 2009 04:18 GMT
#2
It looks really similar to D3, except more cartoony =\. These guys have a ton of talent, but it would be nice to see them do something like hellgate: london again instead of going back and basically remaking diablo.
RIP CHARLIEMURPHY 11/25/10 NEVER FORGET | Hurricane#1183 @ B.net
Emlary
Profile Blog Joined December 2002
China3334 Posts
October 10 2009 05:42 GMT
#3
Follow this game since it's first announced. It does look like the last game Flagship worked on before its collapse - Mythos, which took over by Hanbitsoft afterwards. Cartoony style hack&slash MMO.

Don't know it's good or bad for Runic (the name of their new studio) to sign Perfect World as publisher, who is relatively small and less-known among western gamers. It's actually a Chinese MMO-specialized company -_-;;
No more SKT1, it's SKP2.
CongoJack
Profile Joined February 2009
Canada417 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-10-10 07:14:52
October 10 2009 07:13 GMT
#4
I will definitely buy this game I thought Mythos was awesome. Torchlight looks like it could be fun enough to fill the void till something good comes out like SC2 beta if nothing else.
doktorLucifer
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States855 Posts
October 11 2009 09:04 GMT
#5
This looks slick as hell, and even though I really can't tell how fun the gameplay mechanics will turn out to be, it does look quite good.

I haven't played any hack and slash rpgs aside from Diablo/Diablo 2, so yea..
BluzMan
Profile Blog Joined April 2006
Russian Federation4235 Posts
October 11 2009 10:09 GMT
#6
The cool thing about this game is that it was developed in an entirely open-source graphic engine - OGRE. Depending on how well it sells, we might see more developers switching to open-source engines and game libraries drastically cutting development time and giving engine creators additional stimulus to make the engine more competetive with commercial designs. Might open a new page in gamedev, seriously.
You want 20 good men, but you need a bad pussy.
kAra
Profile Joined September 2004
Germany1465 Posts
October 11 2009 10:53 GMT
#7
looks like some kor mmorpg clone
mada mada dane
myfriendPlank
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States550 Posts
October 11 2009 12:45 GMT
#8
I will definitely be buying this when it comes out....
{CC}StealthBlue
Profile Blog Joined January 2003
United States41117 Posts
October 15 2009 21:37 GMT
#9
Devi Diary #2!

"Smokey, this is not 'Nam, this is bowling. There are rules."
Eti307
Profile Blog Joined March 2004
Canada3442 Posts
October 15 2009 22:01 GMT
#10
On October 11 2009 19:09 BluzMan wrote:
The cool thing about this game is that it was developed in an entirely open-source graphic engine - OGRE. Depending on how well it sells, we might see more developers switching to open-source engines and game libraries drastically cutting development time and giving engine creators additional stimulus to make the engine more competetive with commercial designs. Might open a new page in gamedev, seriously.


what they developed the game with OGRE 3D? that's awesome!

I used that engine for one of my school project
Klapdout
Profile Joined August 2007
United States282 Posts
October 19 2009 07:13 GMT
#11
Looks good, wish it had some kind of co-op, but for $18 I can't complain
{CC}StealthBlue
Profile Blog Joined January 2003
United States41117 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-10-24 04:52:20
October 24 2009 04:51 GMT
#12
http://www.runicgamesfansite.com/2009/10/the-big-torchlight-review-thread/#more-1244


Gameplay videos/reviews.

Also a stream:
http://www.livestream.com/torchlight
"Smokey, this is not 'Nam, this is bowling. There are rules."
LazySCV
Profile Blog Joined September 2003
United States2942 Posts
October 24 2009 05:59 GMT
#13
--- Nuked ---
{CC}StealthBlue
Profile Blog Joined January 2003
United States41117 Posts
October 25 2009 02:26 GMT
#14
Another Stream gogogogo

http://www.livestream.com/rpgamer
"Smokey, this is not 'Nam, this is bowling. There are rules."
Conquest101
Profile Blog Joined February 2007
United States1395 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-10-29 05:42:11
October 29 2009 05:37 GMT
#15
Bumping this, as I've had the pleasure of playing this game over the last couple days since release.
A rambling review to follow.

http://www.torchlightgame.com/

First of all, Torchlight is a lot of fun. Think a cross of the original Diablo and Fate.

There are three character classes that are very unique from each other in looks, style, and gameplay. Combat is your standard point and click + hotkeys for potions, spells, and skills. Very intuitive and easy to use. The loot system (a major draw of ARPG games) is well-balanced with a great variety of items (Weapon/Shield, Body Armor, Shoulder Armor, Helmet, Gloves, Belt, Boots, Rings and Amulet slots) including your standard melee fare + bows/xbows, rifles, pistols (did I mention you can dual wield pistols?) and more. Also, the loot system isn't as stingy as in Diablo II for example, as you WILL find a healthy smattering of unique and set items as you progress.

You can choose from 3 pets when creating a character. A wolf, a lynx, or an "imaginary" pet which acts only as item storage but does not actively engage monsters/cast spells like the former 2 pets. The pet can make trips back to town to sell stuff, so you don't have to, fights, can be equipped with items and spells.

The sound is pretty good.The music is great and omposed by the same guy who did Diablo's music I believe. Effects sound good, though some of the voice prompts can get annoying after awhile.

Environments look great and varied enough that you won't get bored (at least on the first few playthroughs =p)

Difficulty is kinda weird. The "normal" mode is way too easy in my opinion. I'd recommend any decently experienced gamer start with hard mode and than move up to very hard mode. Hard mode is balanced and very hard mode is actually difficult. There is, of course, also the option to play hardcore in any difficulty.

The overall game is well polished. I've heard of a few minor bugs + the occasional person who has had trouble with crashing or running the game, however, I have experienced 0 problems with it. It also runs perfectly on the highest settings on my 1+ year old system. My only beef is with the games loading times, which seem excessively long considering the low stated requirements. Roughly 20-30 seconds for me between areas/trips to town, though I've read of even longer on their forums. I believe this issue may be corrected/made better in a future patch, going by dev statements.

There is also an extremely robust editor to be released sometime in the next week I believe. It's supposed to be easy enough for anyone to use + you can play through the game WITHIN the editor and make adjustments on the fly. I expect awesome mods to come in the future.

Overall, I find that Torchlight is great fun and totally worth the $20 asking price.

FYI, I pirate a lot of shit, but I bought this game. I feel the development team at Runic deserves it.

Future)Breeze
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Croatia88 Posts
October 29 2009 06:14 GMT
#16
I dl-ed it from mininova and playing it for free for 3 days now and having a blast....
rinoh
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States335 Posts
October 29 2009 11:08 GMT
#17
Ok this game is really fun. I am enjoying the environment and overall feel of the game. I just bought it today and I spent all my time playing it instead of writing my essay that is due soon haha. Plus they have great customer service. I can't wait for the editor to change things around and keep things new.
베르사유의 장미
{CC}StealthBlue
Profile Blog Joined January 2003
United States41117 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-10-30 00:43:37
October 30 2009 00:13 GMT
#18
Yea I am really liking the game so far. I especially like the pets for the Alchemist.

Blood pic of the night.

[image loading]


EDIT:

And I can't forget the Nether Imps either.

[image loading]
"Smokey, this is not 'Nam, this is bowling. There are rules."
machinebloodprogram
Profile Joined December 2008
United States245 Posts
October 31 2009 00:52 GMT
#19
On October 29 2009 14:37 Conquest101 wrote:
Bumping this, as I've had the pleasure of playing this game over the last couple days since release.
A rambling review to follow.

http://www.torchlightgame.com/

First of all, Torchlight is a lot of fun. Think a cross of the original Diablo and Fate.

There are three character classes that are very unique from each other in looks, style, and gameplay. Combat is your standard point and click + hotkeys for potions, spells, and skills. Very intuitive and easy to use. The loot system (a major draw of ARPG games) is well-balanced with a great variety of items (Weapon/Shield, Body Armor, Shoulder Armor, Helmet, Gloves, Belt, Boots, Rings and Amulet slots) including your standard melee fare + bows/xbows, rifles, pistols (did I mention you can dual wield pistols?) and more. Also, the loot system isn't as stingy as in Diablo II for example, as you WILL find a healthy smattering of unique and set items as you progress.

You can choose from 3 pets when creating a character. A wolf, a lynx, or an "imaginary" pet which acts only as item storage but does not actively engage monsters/cast spells like the former 2 pets. The pet can make trips back to town to sell stuff, so you don't have to, fights, can be equipped with items and spells.

The sound is pretty good.The music is great and omposed by the same guy who did Diablo's music I believe. Effects sound good, though some of the voice prompts can get annoying after awhile.

Environments look great and varied enough that you won't get bored (at least on the first few playthroughs =p)

Difficulty is kinda weird. The "normal" mode is way too easy in my opinion. I'd recommend any decently experienced gamer start with hard mode and than move up to very hard mode. Hard mode is balanced and very hard mode is actually difficult. There is, of course, also the option to play hardcore in any difficulty.

The overall game is well polished. I've heard of a few minor bugs + the occasional person who has had trouble with crashing or running the game, however, I have experienced 0 problems with it. It also runs perfectly on the highest settings on my 1+ year old system. My only beef is with the games loading times, which seem excessively long considering the low stated requirements. Roughly 20-30 seconds for me between areas/trips to town, though I've read of even longer on their forums. I believe this issue may be corrected/made better in a future patch, going by dev statements.

There is also an extremely robust editor to be released sometime in the next week I believe. It's supposed to be easy enough for anyone to use + you can play through the game WITHIN the editor and make adjustments on the fly. I expect awesome mods to come in the future.

Overall, I find that Torchlight is great fun and totally worth the $20 asking price.

FYI, I pirate a lot of shit, but I bought this game. I feel the development team at Runic deserves it.



I'm glad I'm not the only one. The load times are around 30 seconds for me, but I have an older system. Still, the load times got longer after I changed the video settings and lowered the resolution.
teks
Profile Joined March 2008
Norway263 Posts
October 31 2009 01:16 GMT
#20
I was pleasantly surprised by this game, having never heard of it before it was released. I participated in Mythos Beta, and must say that I've enjoyed Torchlight much, much more so far. The only thing that really has been bothering me so far is how the item names on the ground stack, having to loot all the crap to get to the sweet uniques at the bottom Loading screen for every portal and stairs is also sort of annoying. That being said, I'm having a blast on my Destroyer thus far <3

Conquest101 wrote:
FYI, I pirate a lot of shit, but I bought this game. I feel the development team at Runic deserves it.


Couldn't agree more.
1 2 3 4 5 93 94 95 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 50m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nathanias 101
Nina 87
ProTech73
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 13768
Bale 11
League of Legends
Doublelift1583
JimRising 133
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4821
Khaldor1469
Liquid`Hasu755
Other Games
summit1g6413
fl0m895
shahzam500
byalli286
C9.Mang0200
FrodaN197
KnowMe146
ArmadaUGS134
JuggernautJason79
Mew2King73
PPMD16
ToD13
ViBE10
NeuroSwarm3
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV210
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream72
Other Games
angryscii13
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• musti20045 24
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Noizen150
Other Games
• imaqtpie892
• Shiphtur211
Upcoming Events
OSC
2h 50m
Stellar Fest
15h 50m
OSC
1d
CranKy Ducklings
1d 12h
Online Event
1d 13h
FEL
1d 18h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 19h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 21h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.