• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:38
CEST 18:38
KST 01:38
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror SC4ALL II: Brood War Player Announcement 4/4 Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8689 users

Simple Questions Simple Answers - Page 150

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
Prev 1 148 149 150 151 152 653 Next
RebirthOfLeGenD
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
USA5860 Posts
June 01 2012 19:14 GMT
#2981
On June 02 2012 03:48 JingleHell wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 02 2012 03:40 RebirthOfLeGenD wrote:
On June 02 2012 02:57 JingleHell wrote:
Why are you building on X79 with an Asrock mobo and asking questions like this? Budget enthusiast shit is bad news, and if you need to ask that question, I can't see you getting most of the benefit of the platform.

The memory will work. It will run at 2133 assuming you clock it correctly, you just may have to manually do it, which can be an utter PITA. That's worst case.

Unless of course, the BIOS is a piece of shit, in which case you may not be able to force 2133 and may have to run 1866 or overvolt and run 2400. I think you're overestimating the value of OCed memory anyways, though.

I talked to you about this like a week ago in PM world.

I purchased the i7-3930l for 180$, I didn't blow 600$. If you wan to recommend a better board within 200-300$ cool. I had an Asus board for my previous build and it sucked, I replaced it with an asrock that overclocked better and works perfectly. The ram was more of a why not thing. It's discounted right now to 96$ on newegg and I figured why not? quad channel ram tended to be in that area anyway. I was initially going to buy corsair ram that was 1600mhz, but it was 8gb and 65$, so I figured I might as well double it and get better speed for like 30$ more.


No, we talked about the 3930 price, not motherboards for it. Using an enthusiast rig with a cheap motherboard and/or shitty BIOS, well, that just prevents you getting all the benefits of the platform. (Oh by the way, Asrock is the Asus budget spinoff, so you didn't escape Asus, you just didn't buy the better version this time.)

You're really justifying a lot of what we discussed in that conversation for me right now.

I assumed you were referring to me trying to buy a 230$ mobo with a 600$ chip, at which point I was pointing out that I didn't pay 600$ for the chip, meaning compariably the board is now the most expensive part of my build.

Like I said, if you want to recommend a board go ahead. There is no reason to be a dick, our conversation was that in a way, Best Buy is not as overpriced and you refused to admit it in the face of numbers. It had nothing to do with my lack of knowledge that Asus also makes Asrock. I don't spend all my time doing this shit, it's a part time job.

The boards features looked totally fine. What more could I need if you would care to enligthen me as opposed to being a dick.
Be a man, Become a Legend. TL Mafia Forum Ask for access!!
xeo1
Profile Joined October 2011
United States429 Posts
June 01 2012 19:15 GMT
#2982
On June 02 2012 04:07 JingleHell wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 02 2012 04:01 xeo1 wrote:
On June 01 2012 17:04 Womwomwom wrote:
On June 01 2012 14:46 xeo1 wrote:
On May 31 2012 19:52 Womwomwom wrote:
On May 31 2012 12:43 xeo1 wrote:
what could cause my screen to flash a black streak as I move around? my pc is brand new, i5 3570k/z77/8gb ram/gtx 460/430W. someone said I might have to match the game to my monitor's refresh rate or something like that.


Try turning on vertical sync. Should be in game menu options (preferable) or you can force it through drivers (last resort).


actually fixed it. I capped the framerate in variables.txt. however, I'm not sure what's better, capping it to 60 or 120?


Depends on your screen. If your screen can do 120hz, choose 120. If your screen can only do 60hz, choose 60.


okay. I am referring to this thread: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=313793

some guy said 60, another said 120 because it's the smoothest. but my monitor is LCD and can only do 60hz.


If your display can't go above 60 hz means it refreshes 60 times per second. Meaning you could have 36 billion FPS and still not detect a difference above 60. Aside from all the violent screen tearing.


okay thanks, so I capped it to 30 in menus and 60 in game.
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
June 01 2012 19:27 GMT
#2983
On June 02 2012 04:14 RebirthOfLeGenD wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 02 2012 03:48 JingleHell wrote:
On June 02 2012 03:40 RebirthOfLeGenD wrote:
On June 02 2012 02:57 JingleHell wrote:
Why are you building on X79 with an Asrock mobo and asking questions like this? Budget enthusiast shit is bad news, and if you need to ask that question, I can't see you getting most of the benefit of the platform.

The memory will work. It will run at 2133 assuming you clock it correctly, you just may have to manually do it, which can be an utter PITA. That's worst case.

Unless of course, the BIOS is a piece of shit, in which case you may not be able to force 2133 and may have to run 1866 or overvolt and run 2400. I think you're overestimating the value of OCed memory anyways, though.

I talked to you about this like a week ago in PM world.

I purchased the i7-3930l for 180$, I didn't blow 600$. If you wan to recommend a better board within 200-300$ cool. I had an Asus board for my previous build and it sucked, I replaced it with an asrock that overclocked better and works perfectly. The ram was more of a why not thing. It's discounted right now to 96$ on newegg and I figured why not? quad channel ram tended to be in that area anyway. I was initially going to buy corsair ram that was 1600mhz, but it was 8gb and 65$, so I figured I might as well double it and get better speed for like 30$ more.


No, we talked about the 3930 price, not motherboards for it. Using an enthusiast rig with a cheap motherboard and/or shitty BIOS, well, that just prevents you getting all the benefits of the platform. (Oh by the way, Asrock is the Asus budget spinoff, so you didn't escape Asus, you just didn't buy the better version this time.)

You're really justifying a lot of what we discussed in that conversation for me right now.

I assumed you were referring to me trying to buy a 230$ mobo with a 600$ chip, at which point I was pointing out that I didn't pay 600$ for the chip, meaning compariably the board is now the most expensive part of my build.

Like I said, if you want to recommend a board go ahead. There is no reason to be a dick, our conversation was that in a way, Best Buy is not as overpriced and you refused to admit it in the face of numbers. It had nothing to do with my lack of knowledge that Asus also makes Asrock. I don't spend all my time doing this shit, it's a part time job.

The boards features looked totally fine. What more could I need if you would care to enligthen me as opposed to being a dick.


Who's being a dick? I've already told you what you need. More knowledge of what you're getting and what it can do for you, and how to do it. A good BIOS. Reliable brands. Even at the Intel Retail Edge price, it's only better price/performance than an i5 rig if you know what it's going to help with and need it to help with those things.

I never refused to admit anything. If you want to drag that whole conversation public, I'll be happy to copy/paste it in here. Otherwise, you'd do best to leave it to vague references like I did. I won't take kindly to assertations that it went differently than it did.

What benefit do you think you're going to get, for what purposes, from X79, and how do you intend to get them? If you're building on that platform, based on your extensive knowledge and superior Geek Squad training, you certainly shouldn't need advice from some under-informed dick, right?
xeo1
Profile Joined October 2011
United States429 Posts
June 01 2012 20:14 GMT
#2984
I'm watching slivko's stream and he has 20 workers mining and when he clicks something it selects only 4 automatically to keep 16 mining all the time and takes the extra 4 to another base. does anyone know how to do this?
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
June 01 2012 20:16 GMT
#2985
On June 02 2012 05:14 xeo1 wrote:
I'm watching slivko's stream and he has 20 workers mining and when he clicks something it selects only 4 automatically to keep 16 mining all the time and takes the extra 4 to another base. does anyone know how to do this?


Check which sub-forum you're in?
jacosajh
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
2919 Posts
June 01 2012 20:43 GMT
#2986
On June 02 2012 04:14 RebirthOfLeGenD wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 02 2012 03:48 JingleHell wrote:
On June 02 2012 03:40 RebirthOfLeGenD wrote:
On June 02 2012 02:57 JingleHell wrote:
Why are you building on X79 with an Asrock mobo and asking questions like this? Budget enthusiast shit is bad news, and if you need to ask that question, I can't see you getting most of the benefit of the platform.

The memory will work. It will run at 2133 assuming you clock it correctly, you just may have to manually do it, which can be an utter PITA. That's worst case.

Unless of course, the BIOS is a piece of shit, in which case you may not be able to force 2133 and may have to run 1866 or overvolt and run 2400. I think you're overestimating the value of OCed memory anyways, though.

I talked to you about this like a week ago in PM world.

I purchased the i7-3930l for 180$, I didn't blow 600$. If you wan to recommend a better board within 200-300$ cool. I had an Asus board for my previous build and it sucked, I replaced it with an asrock that overclocked better and works perfectly. The ram was more of a why not thing. It's discounted right now to 96$ on newegg and I figured why not? quad channel ram tended to be in that area anyway. I was initially going to buy corsair ram that was 1600mhz, but it was 8gb and 65$, so I figured I might as well double it and get better speed for like 30$ more.


No, we talked about the 3930 price, not motherboards for it. Using an enthusiast rig with a cheap motherboard and/or shitty BIOS, well, that just prevents you getting all the benefits of the platform. (Oh by the way, Asrock is the Asus budget spinoff, so you didn't escape Asus, you just didn't buy the better version this time.)

You're really justifying a lot of what we discussed in that conversation for me right now.

I assumed you were referring to me trying to buy a 230$ mobo with a 600$ chip, at which point I was pointing out that I didn't pay 600$ for the chip, meaning compariably the board is now the most expensive part of my build.

Like I said, if you want to recommend a board go ahead. There is no reason to be a dick, our conversation was that in a way, Best Buy is not as overpriced and you refused to admit it in the face of numbers. It had nothing to do with my lack of knowledge that Asus also makes Asrock. I don't spend all my time doing this shit, it's a part time job.

The boards features looked totally fine. What more could I need if you would care to enligthen me as opposed to being a dick.



What the duck?

Please tell me you're joking? And don't give me #s to compare from the website.
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
June 01 2012 20:51 GMT
#2987
On June 02 2012 05:43 jacosajh wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 02 2012 04:14 RebirthOfLeGenD wrote:
On June 02 2012 03:48 JingleHell wrote:
On June 02 2012 03:40 RebirthOfLeGenD wrote:
On June 02 2012 02:57 JingleHell wrote:
Why are you building on X79 with an Asrock mobo and asking questions like this? Budget enthusiast shit is bad news, and if you need to ask that question, I can't see you getting most of the benefit of the platform.

The memory will work. It will run at 2133 assuming you clock it correctly, you just may have to manually do it, which can be an utter PITA. That's worst case.

Unless of course, the BIOS is a piece of shit, in which case you may not be able to force 2133 and may have to run 1866 or overvolt and run 2400. I think you're overestimating the value of OCed memory anyways, though.

I talked to you about this like a week ago in PM world.

I purchased the i7-3930l for 180$, I didn't blow 600$. If you wan to recommend a better board within 200-300$ cool. I had an Asus board for my previous build and it sucked, I replaced it with an asrock that overclocked better and works perfectly. The ram was more of a why not thing. It's discounted right now to 96$ on newegg and I figured why not? quad channel ram tended to be in that area anyway. I was initially going to buy corsair ram that was 1600mhz, but it was 8gb and 65$, so I figured I might as well double it and get better speed for like 30$ more.


No, we talked about the 3930 price, not motherboards for it. Using an enthusiast rig with a cheap motherboard and/or shitty BIOS, well, that just prevents you getting all the benefits of the platform. (Oh by the way, Asrock is the Asus budget spinoff, so you didn't escape Asus, you just didn't buy the better version this time.)

You're really justifying a lot of what we discussed in that conversation for me right now.

I assumed you were referring to me trying to buy a 230$ mobo with a 600$ chip, at which point I was pointing out that I didn't pay 600$ for the chip, meaning compariably the board is now the most expensive part of my build.

Like I said, if you want to recommend a board go ahead. There is no reason to be a dick, our conversation was that in a way, Best Buy is not as overpriced and you refused to admit it in the face of numbers. It had nothing to do with my lack of knowledge that Asus also makes Asrock. I don't spend all my time doing this shit, it's a part time job.

The boards features looked totally fine. What more could I need if you would care to enligthen me as opposed to being a dick.



What the duck?

Please tell me you're joking? And don't give me #s to compare from the website.


His entire argument was based on the annual 3 machine service plan, which, as he seems to have forgotten, I agreed wasn't nearly as bad on pricing as individual services, assuming people who get the plan are actually capable of recognizing issues and bringing the machines in.

m1rk3
Profile Joined July 2011
Canada412 Posts
June 01 2012 21:26 GMT
#2988
Haha, love reading jingleHells replies to people. So many noobs take what jinglehell says too hard and literal. Too busy trying to make legends out of themselves by asking, yet refusing to accept any answer/advice given to them.
For the Dominion!
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
June 01 2012 21:32 GMT
#2989
On June 02 2012 06:26 m1rk3 wrote:
Haha, love reading jingleHells replies to people. So many noobs take what jinglehell says too hard and literal. Too busy trying to make legends out of themselves by asking, yet refusing to accept any answer/advice given to them.


He definitely didn't take what I said literally. Hence why when I suggested showing the conversation, he seemed to remember more of how it went, and dropped that line. No harm, no foul.
iKill[ShocK]
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
Vietnam3530 Posts
June 01 2012 21:33 GMT
#2990
i mean if you're gonna ask for help but don't take any advice then why the fuck are you asking for help? (speaking generally at some people around here)
<3 Kim Taeyeon
Myrmidon
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States9452 Posts
June 01 2012 21:33 GMT
#2991
Asus and AsRock have different design teams, different customer service departments, etc. so I wouldn't much think that there's a point to bringing up the financial connection via Pegatron now. Actually, didn't Asus recently release their stake in Pegatron, which owns AsRock?
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
June 01 2012 21:39 GMT
#2992
On June 02 2012 06:33 Myrmidon wrote:
Asus and AsRock have different design teams, different customer service departments, etc. so I wouldn't much think that there's a point to bringing up the financial connection via Pegatron now. Actually, didn't Asus recently release their stake in Pegatron, which owns AsRock?


Good question, but they were still spun off from Asus as the budget brand, if he doesn't like Asus, and expects better from Asrock, well, that's the sort of association I'd be avoiding at that point.
Sovano
Profile Joined November 2011
United States1503 Posts
June 01 2012 23:46 GMT
#2993
Today I received all of my parts to build my computer. I installed all of the hardware components, and plugged in all the PSU cables. To no surprise the computer did not turn on. The PSU cables I think is where my problem is residing, because I'm pretty sure all the hardware was put in correctly. It might also be notable to mention that my tower came with some cables of its own. USB and SATA I think? I plugged in the USB fine, though I couldn't find anything to use the SATA cables for. I'm using a Corsair 500W ATX12V Power Supply and NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case. Thought I'd at least post here while I continue to troubleshoot.
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
June 01 2012 23:51 GMT
#2994
On June 02 2012 08:46 Sovano wrote:
Today I received all of my parts to build my computer. I installed all of the hardware components, and plugged in all the PSU cables. To no surprise the computer did not turn on. The PSU cables I think is where my problem is residing, because I'm pretty sure all the hardware was put in correctly. It might also be notable to mention that my tower came with some cables of its own. USB and SATA I think? I plugged in the USB fine, though I couldn't find anything to use the SATA cables for. I'm using a Corsair 500W ATX12V Power Supply and NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case. Thought I'd at least post here while I continue to troubleshoot.


Did you flip the switch on the back of the PSU? Did you install motherboard standoffs? Did you plug in both the 24pin motherboard, and either a 4pin or 8pin for the CPU? Did you hook up the case headers properly to the motherboard?
Sovano
Profile Joined November 2011
United States1503 Posts
June 02 2012 00:01 GMT
#2995
On June 02 2012 08:51 JingleHell wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 02 2012 08:46 Sovano wrote:
Today I received all of my parts to build my computer. I installed all of the hardware components, and plugged in all the PSU cables. To no surprise the computer did not turn on. The PSU cables I think is where my problem is residing, because I'm pretty sure all the hardware was put in correctly. It might also be notable to mention that my tower came with some cables of its own. USB and SATA I think? I plugged in the USB fine, though I couldn't find anything to use the SATA cables for. I'm using a Corsair 500W ATX12V Power Supply and NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case. Thought I'd at least post here while I continue to troubleshoot.


Did you flip the switch on the back of the PSU? Did you install motherboard standoffs? Did you plug in both the 24pin motherboard, and either a 4pin or 8pin for the CPU? Did you hook up the case headers properly to the motherboard?

Yes I made sure to switch the flip on the PSU. The motherboard standoffs are installed. The 24 pin connector is on the motherboard for sure. The 8 pin for my CPU took a while, because I had only 4 for my motherboard, but figured out the 8 pin could be two 4 pin connectors, so I detached one and plugged that in next to the CPU. Though I'm not sure what you mean by case headers. I'm assuming that's the cables that came with my tower/case.

Was checking my case headers (assuming I assumed what they were correctly in my last two sentences), it turns out there were 5 mini pins I forgot to connect. They were called like "Power S, HDD LED, P+, and etc". I'll try plugging those in and seeing how it works out.
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-02 00:03:41
June 02 2012 00:02 GMT
#2996
On June 02 2012 09:01 Sovano wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 02 2012 08:51 JingleHell wrote:
On June 02 2012 08:46 Sovano wrote:
Today I received all of my parts to build my computer. I installed all of the hardware components, and plugged in all the PSU cables. To no surprise the computer did not turn on. The PSU cables I think is where my problem is residing, because I'm pretty sure all the hardware was put in correctly. It might also be notable to mention that my tower came with some cables of its own. USB and SATA I think? I plugged in the USB fine, though I couldn't find anything to use the SATA cables for. I'm using a Corsair 500W ATX12V Power Supply and NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case. Thought I'd at least post here while I continue to troubleshoot.


Did you flip the switch on the back of the PSU? Did you install motherboard standoffs? Did you plug in both the 24pin motherboard, and either a 4pin or 8pin for the CPU? Did you hook up the case headers properly to the motherboard?

Yes I made sure to switch the flip on the PSU. The motherboard standoffs are installed. The 24 pin connector is on the motherboard for sure. The 8 pin for my CPU took a while, because I had only 4 for my motherboard, but figured out the 8 pin could be two 4 pin connectors, so I detached one and plugged that in next to the CPU. Though I'm not sure what you mean by case headers. I'm assuming that's the cables that came with my tower/case.

Was checking my case headers (assuming I assumed what they were correctly in my last two sentences), it turns out there were 5 mini pins I forgot to connect. They were called like "Power S, HDD LED, P+, and etc". I'll try plugging those in and seeing how it works out.


Power S sounds suspiciously like "power switch" and yes, those are the ones I meant. Since the power switch on the case can't tell the mobo to boot without that wire... you get the idea?

Easy to miss. You wouldn't believe the full list of dumb shit I've pulled off working on PCs. The better you are, the longer the list of boneheaded fuckups gets. And the more inexcusable most of them are.
Sovano
Profile Joined November 2011
United States1503 Posts
June 02 2012 00:05 GMT
#2997
On June 02 2012 09:02 JingleHell wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 02 2012 09:01 Sovano wrote:
On June 02 2012 08:51 JingleHell wrote:
On June 02 2012 08:46 Sovano wrote:
Today I received all of my parts to build my computer. I installed all of the hardware components, and plugged in all the PSU cables. To no surprise the computer did not turn on. The PSU cables I think is where my problem is residing, because I'm pretty sure all the hardware was put in correctly. It might also be notable to mention that my tower came with some cables of its own. USB and SATA I think? I plugged in the USB fine, though I couldn't find anything to use the SATA cables for. I'm using a Corsair 500W ATX12V Power Supply and NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case. Thought I'd at least post here while I continue to troubleshoot.


Did you flip the switch on the back of the PSU? Did you install motherboard standoffs? Did you plug in both the 24pin motherboard, and either a 4pin or 8pin for the CPU? Did you hook up the case headers properly to the motherboard?

Yes I made sure to switch the flip on the PSU. The motherboard standoffs are installed. The 24 pin connector is on the motherboard for sure. The 8 pin for my CPU took a while, because I had only 4 for my motherboard, but figured out the 8 pin could be two 4 pin connectors, so I detached one and plugged that in next to the CPU. Though I'm not sure what you mean by case headers. I'm assuming that's the cables that came with my tower/case.

Was checking my case headers (assuming I assumed what they were correctly in my last two sentences), it turns out there were 5 mini pins I forgot to connect. They were called like "Power S, HDD LED, P+, and etc". I'll try plugging those in and seeing how it works out.


Power S sounds suspiciously like "power switch" and yes, those are the ones I meant. Since the power switch on the case can't tell the mobo to boot without that wire... you get the idea?

Easy to miss. You wouldn't believe the full list of dumb shit I've pulled off working on PCs. The better you are, the longer the list of boneheaded fuckups gets. And the more inexcusable most of them are.

I feel silly, because I can't find any single place to place them in my motherboard lol....
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-02 00:09:01
June 02 2012 00:08 GMT
#2998
On June 02 2012 09:05 Sovano wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 02 2012 09:02 JingleHell wrote:
On June 02 2012 09:01 Sovano wrote:
On June 02 2012 08:51 JingleHell wrote:
On June 02 2012 08:46 Sovano wrote:
Today I received all of my parts to build my computer. I installed all of the hardware components, and plugged in all the PSU cables. To no surprise the computer did not turn on. The PSU cables I think is where my problem is residing, because I'm pretty sure all the hardware was put in correctly. It might also be notable to mention that my tower came with some cables of its own. USB and SATA I think? I plugged in the USB fine, though I couldn't find anything to use the SATA cables for. I'm using a Corsair 500W ATX12V Power Supply and NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case. Thought I'd at least post here while I continue to troubleshoot.


Did you flip the switch on the back of the PSU? Did you install motherboard standoffs? Did you plug in both the 24pin motherboard, and either a 4pin or 8pin for the CPU? Did you hook up the case headers properly to the motherboard?

Yes I made sure to switch the flip on the PSU. The motherboard standoffs are installed. The 24 pin connector is on the motherboard for sure. The 8 pin for my CPU took a while, because I had only 4 for my motherboard, but figured out the 8 pin could be two 4 pin connectors, so I detached one and plugged that in next to the CPU. Though I'm not sure what you mean by case headers. I'm assuming that's the cables that came with my tower/case.

Was checking my case headers (assuming I assumed what they were correctly in my last two sentences), it turns out there were 5 mini pins I forgot to connect. They were called like "Power S, HDD LED, P+, and etc". I'll try plugging those in and seeing how it works out.


Power S sounds suspiciously like "power switch" and yes, those are the ones I meant. Since the power switch on the case can't tell the mobo to boot without that wire... you get the idea?

Easy to miss. You wouldn't believe the full list of dumb shit I've pulled off working on PCs. The better you are, the longer the list of boneheaded fuckups gets. And the more inexcusable most of them are.

I feel silly, because I can't find any single place to place them in my motherboard lol....


There should be a row of pins, usually next to the SATA ports on the motherboard. Check the manual if you can't find them.

You'd feel sillier if you'd done something like disassemble your GPUs for cleaning and re-pasting and forgetting to plug in the PCIE connectors to them, or the SLI bridge afterwards, and were me. I've done both.
Sovano
Profile Joined November 2011
United States1503 Posts
June 02 2012 00:23 GMT
#2999
On June 02 2012 09:08 JingleHell wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 02 2012 09:05 Sovano wrote:
On June 02 2012 09:02 JingleHell wrote:
On June 02 2012 09:01 Sovano wrote:
On June 02 2012 08:51 JingleHell wrote:
On June 02 2012 08:46 Sovano wrote:
Today I received all of my parts to build my computer. I installed all of the hardware components, and plugged in all the PSU cables. To no surprise the computer did not turn on. The PSU cables I think is where my problem is residing, because I'm pretty sure all the hardware was put in correctly. It might also be notable to mention that my tower came with some cables of its own. USB and SATA I think? I plugged in the USB fine, though I couldn't find anything to use the SATA cables for. I'm using a Corsair 500W ATX12V Power Supply and NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case. Thought I'd at least post here while I continue to troubleshoot.


Did you flip the switch on the back of the PSU? Did you install motherboard standoffs? Did you plug in both the 24pin motherboard, and either a 4pin or 8pin for the CPU? Did you hook up the case headers properly to the motherboard?

Yes I made sure to switch the flip on the PSU. The motherboard standoffs are installed. The 24 pin connector is on the motherboard for sure. The 8 pin for my CPU took a while, because I had only 4 for my motherboard, but figured out the 8 pin could be two 4 pin connectors, so I detached one and plugged that in next to the CPU. Though I'm not sure what you mean by case headers. I'm assuming that's the cables that came with my tower/case.

Was checking my case headers (assuming I assumed what they were correctly in my last two sentences), it turns out there were 5 mini pins I forgot to connect. They were called like "Power S, HDD LED, P+, and etc". I'll try plugging those in and seeing how it works out.


Power S sounds suspiciously like "power switch" and yes, those are the ones I meant. Since the power switch on the case can't tell the mobo to boot without that wire... you get the idea?

Easy to miss. You wouldn't believe the full list of dumb shit I've pulled off working on PCs. The better you are, the longer the list of boneheaded fuckups gets. And the more inexcusable most of them are.

I feel silly, because I can't find any single place to place them in my motherboard lol....


There should be a row of pins, usually next to the SATA ports on the motherboard. Check the manual if you can't find them.

You'd feel sillier if you'd done something like disassemble your GPUs for cleaning and re-pasting and forgetting to plug in the PCIE connectors to them, or the SLI bridge afterwards, and were me. I've done both.

Well I found them and plugged them in. Still nothing happens when I try to turn it on, I'm going to plug out all the PSU cables and try again,
jacosajh
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
2919 Posts
June 02 2012 00:44 GMT
#3000
On June 02 2012 06:33 Myrmidon wrote:
Asus and AsRock have different design teams, different customer service departments, etc. so I wouldn't much think that there's a point to bringing up the financial connection via Pegatron now. Actually, didn't Asus recently release their stake in Pegatron, which owns AsRock?


I don't think ASRock is that bad anymore. I used to equate them to being the Great Value brand at Wal-Mart (which I found out recently wasn't even that bad as well). I'd rather get ASRock over MSI or Gigabyte these days anyway.
Prev 1 148 149 150 151 152 653 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
00:00
#14
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
Harstem384
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Harstem 384
IndyStarCraft 191
Railgan 72
BRAT_OK 48
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 50786
Shuttle 2774
Horang2 520
BeSt 497
Larva 351
ggaemo 190
Soma 176
Mind 155
Dewaltoss 119
Sexy 86
[ Show more ]
Last 85
hero 64
Zeus 57
Sea.KH 50
Killer 47
Hyun 45
ToSsGirL 27
Bale 26
NaDa 23
PianO 22
Rock 16
Sacsri 6
Dota 2
Gorgc5012
qojqva2910
Dendi1596
420jenkins433
Fuzer 154
Counter-Strike
fl0m4402
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby2388
Khaldor1369
Liquid`Hasu1131
MindelVK15
Other Games
FrodaN1787
singsing1725
B2W.Neo1003
byalli936
Beastyqt732
Mlord498
ArmadaUGS175
Hui .154
KnowMe133
QueenE88
Mew2King58
CosmosSc2 28
Chillindude26
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick925
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream49
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 22
• Reevou 6
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 51
• niya90s1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 3699
League of Legends
• Nemesis2707
Other Games
• Shiphtur246
• WagamamaTV222
Upcoming Events
BSL Open Qualifier
2h 22m
BSL Open Qualifier
2h 22m
Replay Cast
6h 22m
Afreeca Starleague
17h 22m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
18h 22m
Monday Night Weeklies
23h 22m
Replay Cast
1d 6h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 17h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 18h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.