• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 13:35
CEST 19:35
KST 02:35
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War545.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
$3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
TL Sidebar missing streams BW General Discussion Rollback Netcode in Brood War Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8878 users

Simple Questions Simple Answers - Page 103

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
Prev 1 101 102 103 104 105 653 Next
phar
Profile Joined August 2011
United States1080 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-15 03:43:39
April 15 2012 03:43 GMT
#2041
On April 15 2012 11:34 Mordanis wrote:
Does anyone know how to change versions of Ubuntu. I have (I think) the version that is optimized for AMD cpu's on my old HDD, and I'm using an Intel motherboard and processor, so I'd like to change this if it doesn't mean losing all the work I've already done within Ubuntu. Thanks!

What do you mean 'optimized for AMD'? There is no such thing as an 'optimized for AMD' version of ubuntu.

You may be confused because 64 bit ubuntu distributions were tagged with 'amd' for a long time, even though they were just x86_64. They changed that as of 11.10 I believe, but it's just a name. It doesn't actually mean anything is optimized.

On April 15 2012 11:34 Mordanis wrote:Also if anyone knows of a way to test my performance in Ubuntu, I'd be grateful to know.
depends on what kind of performance test you're talking about
Who after all is today speaking about the destruction of the Armenians?
Zushen
Profile Joined June 2011
275 Posts
April 15 2012 12:29 GMT
#2042
what older version of xsplit lets you use all of the premium features without getting a license? and where can i download it
Termi
Profile Joined March 2012
Denmark23 Posts
April 15 2012 13:43 GMT
#2043
AVG Free or Microsoft security essentials for an antivirus program?
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
April 15 2012 13:46 GMT
#2044
On April 15 2012 22:43 Termi wrote:
AVG Free or Microsoft security essentials for an antivirus program?


Even R1CH suggests MSE as a free one. Pretty good endorsement in my book.
Termi
Profile Joined March 2012
Denmark23 Posts
April 15 2012 13:51 GMT
#2045
Ok :D
TheToast
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States4808 Posts
April 15 2012 16:16 GMT
#2046
On April 15 2012 22:46 JingleHell wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 15 2012 22:43 Termi wrote:
AVG Free or Microsoft security essentials for an antivirus program?


Even R1CH suggests MSE as a free one. Pretty good endorsement in my book.


MSE uses a lot of system resources though, my parents have and older PC and my brother put MSE on it for them. Drastically increased boot time and was using a big chunk of RAM. Though it's one of the few free ones that doesn't constantly pester you to up to a premium version.
I like the way the walls go out. Gives you an open feeling. Firefly's a good design. People don't appreciate the substance of things. Objects in space. People miss out on what's solid.
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
April 15 2012 16:28 GMT
#2047
On April 16 2012 01:16 TheToast wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 15 2012 22:46 JingleHell wrote:
On April 15 2012 22:43 Termi wrote:
AVG Free or Microsoft security essentials for an antivirus program?


Even R1CH suggests MSE as a free one. Pretty good endorsement in my book.


MSE uses a lot of system resources though, my parents have and older PC and my brother put MSE on it for them. Drastically increased boot time and was using a big chunk of RAM. Though it's one of the few free ones that doesn't constantly pester you to up to a premium version.


Well, you can only expect so much. If I'm going with a free AV, I'ma take good and slower over faster, annoying, and less effective, personally.

But then, me and my wife just pony up for a Norton sub now that it's actually good. Resource light, and effective. But then, that's largely because she works from home via VPN a decent bit, and her company has a lot of people who open random ass attachments at work.
TheToast
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States4808 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-15 16:39:09
April 15 2012 16:38 GMT
#2048
On April 16 2012 01:28 JingleHell wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 16 2012 01:16 TheToast wrote:
On April 15 2012 22:46 JingleHell wrote:
On April 15 2012 22:43 Termi wrote:
AVG Free or Microsoft security essentials for an antivirus program?


Even R1CH suggests MSE as a free one. Pretty good endorsement in my book.


MSE uses a lot of system resources though, my parents have and older PC and my brother put MSE on it for them. Drastically increased boot time and was using a big chunk of RAM. Though it's one of the few free ones that doesn't constantly pester you to up to a premium version.


Well, you can only expect so much. If I'm going with a free AV, I'ma take good and slower over faster, annoying, and less effective, personally.

But then, me and my wife just pony up for a Norton sub now that it's actually good. Resource light, and effective. But then, that's largely because she works from home via VPN a decent bit, and her company has a lot of people who open random ass attachments at work.


True, granted the default configuration for MSE is a bit overkill, and by changing some of the options you can reduce the usage. One does not, for example, need to be scanning both incoming and outgoing files.

I actually recommend against Norton. In my experience with Symantec's corporate versions, both SAVCE and SEP11, it's not at all any more effective than the free stuff. In some cases, I would find that the free stuff would detect items that Symantec would not. Not at all worth paying for.
I like the way the walls go out. Gives you an open feeling. Firefly's a good design. People don't appreciate the substance of things. Objects in space. People miss out on what's solid.
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
April 15 2012 16:46 GMT
#2049
On April 16 2012 01:38 TheToast wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 16 2012 01:28 JingleHell wrote:
On April 16 2012 01:16 TheToast wrote:
On April 15 2012 22:46 JingleHell wrote:
On April 15 2012 22:43 Termi wrote:
AVG Free or Microsoft security essentials for an antivirus program?


Even R1CH suggests MSE as a free one. Pretty good endorsement in my book.


MSE uses a lot of system resources though, my parents have and older PC and my brother put MSE on it for them. Drastically increased boot time and was using a big chunk of RAM. Though it's one of the few free ones that doesn't constantly pester you to up to a premium version.


Well, you can only expect so much. If I'm going with a free AV, I'ma take good and slower over faster, annoying, and less effective, personally.

But then, me and my wife just pony up for a Norton sub now that it's actually good. Resource light, and effective. But then, that's largely because she works from home via VPN a decent bit, and her company has a lot of people who open random ass attachments at work.


True, granted the default configuration for MSE is a bit overkill, and by changing some of the options you can reduce the usage. One does not, for example, need to be scanning both incoming and outgoing files.

I actually recommend against Norton. In my experience with Symantec's corporate versions, both SAVCE and SEP11, it's not at all any more effective than the free stuff. In some cases, I would find that the free stuff would detect items that Symantec would not. Not at all worth paying for.


In very recent years, Norton has rated pretty high, actually. IDK about the corporate stuff, but when coupled with a bit of sanity, it's pretty much perfectly effective.

IMO, ANY AV is kinda like using a condom. It works ok for certain things, but you're still better off if you keep your dick out of a random street hooker.
minitelemaster
Profile Joined May 2011
United States95 Posts
April 15 2012 17:39 GMT
#2050
Just how bad is this OCZ 520w powerstream PSU? http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0383681 It's $15 after rebate, but I don't want my computer to explode.
Bite my shiny metal @$$
Myrmidon
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States9452 Posts
April 15 2012 18:00 GMT
#2051
On April 16 2012 02:39 minitelemaster wrote:
Just how bad is this OCZ 520w powerstream PSU? http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0383681 It's $15 after rebate, but I don't want my computer to explode.


It's really outdated, but not bad, certainly not as bad as $25 power supplies. You can find some reviews from around 2004 for the older Powerstream model with the green LEDs; it was decent enough for back then. The blue LED model, like as shown, is supposed to be an improvement, though I have no idea how.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3051
Illest.
Profile Joined April 2011
Canada133 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-15 18:27:21
April 15 2012 18:26 GMT
#2052
I've decided to try a little bit of OC, used AMD OverDrive and got these results. I didn't want to try to go higher.
I wanna try and hit 4GHZ but i'm afraid I might mess it up.
http://i.imgur.com/hvUmJ.png

Any feedback would be great.
I ♥ KPop.
minitelemaster
Profile Joined May 2011
United States95 Posts
April 15 2012 18:47 GMT
#2053
thanks Myrmidon, I may take a chance on that PSU.

If you had the choice, which would you pick to power a basic system?
OCZ ModXStream $40 after rebate http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341017
Antec EA-650 $54
Corsair CX-500 V2 $30 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139027
or mystery $15 OCZ blue LED Powerstream

The wattage is way overkill on most of these, but the prices are the lowest I can find.
Bite my shiny metal @$$
skyR
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada13817 Posts
April 15 2012 19:11 GMT
#2054
None of them. Get the CX400 for $35: http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=33357&promoid=1259
Mordanis
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States893 Posts
April 15 2012 21:11 GMT
#2055
OK, so I reused my old HDD for my new computer, and was planning on reusing XP from that. The problem is that I bought the computer second hand and it was a pre-built, so I have neither a copy of the install cd nor a digital copy of it on my computer. I am running Ubuntu currently, and it is working fine to browse the web, but I would like to reinstall windows so I can run SC2, actually use my gpu, and have other capabilities that are either not present or more difficult with linux. Here's the dilemma though; I will be dog-sitting in 11 days for two weeks, and there is about a 75% chance I'll be paid at the beginning, and I'll likely be paid enough for a 60 gb SSD and win7 with the student discount. So should I get on the phone to Dell customer support and try to get them to mail me a copy of XP so I can reinstall, or should I be patient and take a drastic hit on what I can do with my computer despite having much better hardware than I had previously?
I love the smell of napalm in the morning... it smells like... victory. -_^ Favorite SC2 match ->Liquid`HerO vs. SlayerS CranK g.1 @MLG Summer Championship
TheRabidDeer
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
United States3806 Posts
April 16 2012 03:05 GMT
#2056
So, speedfan is reporting that my +12v rail is at 10.47V, is that something that is normal?
skyR
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada13817 Posts
April 16 2012 03:14 GMT
#2057
speedfan is garbage and software readings for voltages are not accurate.
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
April 16 2012 03:21 GMT
#2058
Well, software readings for voltages CAN be accurate-ish if they're getting data from the motherboard. Unfortunately, if you have a mobo that reports voltages, that "ish" won't be close enough for anything except shit that you can figure out, like "my 12v rail is in spec, because my PC is still running".

If you're OCed outside stock VID, odds are you'd want to be using a multimeter, rather than trusting that "ish". That's why high end motherboards that CAN report voltages also tend to have handy little voltage testing contacts.
TheRabidDeer
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
United States3806 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-16 03:30:27
April 16 2012 03:30 GMT
#2059
Ah, ok. Thanks.

I was just curious if it was being wildly inefficient or if it could produce instability should I add another graphics card somewhere down the line (I dont even know what hardware uses the 12v rail)
skyR
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada13817 Posts
April 16 2012 03:31 GMT
#2060
Nearly everything uses the 12v.
Prev 1 101 102 103 104 105 653 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
AI Arena Tournament
02:00
Swiss - Round 5
Laughngamez YouTube
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Liquid`TLO 219
ProTech155
BRAT_OK 62
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 16157
Leta 1045
Shuttle 531
Horang2 227
Trap 124
firebathero 120
Zeus 83
Hyun 56
Bale 48
soO 48
[ Show more ]
ToSsGirL 34
Rock 28
scan(afreeca) 21
Bishop 15
Sacsri 11
Dota 2
qojqva1894
420jenkins463
Counter-Strike
fl0m4548
Heroes of the Storm
Liquid`Hasu396
Other Games
Grubby2317
Beastyqt726
FrodaN715
KnowMe217
Livibee140
QueenE74
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick431
StarCraft 2
angryscii 16
[ Show 19 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• 3DClanTV 50
• printf 50
• Adnapsc2 21
• Hinosc 20
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Airneanach103
• Azhi_Dahaki29
• FirePhoenix16
• Michael_bg 11
• niya90s 2
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Counter-Strike
• C_a_k_e 1625
Other Games
• Shiphtur635
Upcoming Events
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1h 25m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
16h 25m
Patches Events
21h 25m
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 1h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 1h
OSC
1d 5h
OSC
1d 18h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.