• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 04:13
CEST 10:13
KST 17:13
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War605.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
TL Sidebar missing streams [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror Rollback Netcode in Brood War Sagi.gg Launcher Released BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7581 users

Simple Questions Simple Answers - Page 101

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
Prev 1 99 100 101 102 103 653 Next
Mordanis
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States893 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-12 07:57:48
April 12 2012 07:56 GMT
#2001
Hey all, i just want to make sure that I'm not going to destroy my brand new computer :D
I am building a computer with an i3 2120, and I'm 95% sure that the gray stuff that is on the bottom of the heatsink is all the thermal grease I need, but the 5% uncertainty is killing me. Thanks :D
Edit: I just started putting it together, so I shouldn't have been able to do any harm yet, and if I'm wrong it'll be easy to fix, but I won't be able to go into task manager to check up on the performance.
I love the smell of napalm in the morning... it smells like... victory. -_^ Favorite SC2 match ->Liquid`HerO vs. SlayerS CranK g.1 @MLG Summer Championship
magiknizm
Profile Joined April 2012
19 Posts
April 12 2012 08:01 GMT
#2002
I can't watch streams on TL, but I can watch it on twitch.tv I want to watch it on TL like I used to.
Is anyone having problems with this kinda issue?
◄[ SFX & VFX - Starcraft 2 - Terranizm™]►
Womwomwom
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
5930 Posts
April 12 2012 08:08 GMT
#2003
On April 12 2012 16:56 Mordanis wrote:
Hey all, i just want to make sure that I'm not going to destroy my brand new computer :D
I am building a computer with an i3 2120, and I'm 95% sure that the gray stuff that is on the bottom of the heatsink is all the thermal grease I need, but the 5% uncertainty is killing me. Thanks :D
Edit: I just started putting it together, so I shouldn't have been able to do any harm yet, and if I'm wrong it'll be easy to fix, but I won't be able to go into task manager to check up on the performance.


Yes the grey stuff under the Intel stock heatsink is thermal paste. All you do is install it properly and you're set to go.
CyDe
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
United States1010 Posts
April 12 2012 11:51 GMT
#2004
On April 07 2012 06:37 Medrea wrote:
If you are using Xsplit then yeah you need the paid version to stream full screen anything. The beta only grabs windows.

I'm actually using FME, in conjunction with other programs. Is there anyway to snag fullscreen with that?
youtube.com/GamingCyDe-- My totally abandoned youtube channel that I might revisit at some point
Artline
Profile Joined September 2011
177 Posts
April 12 2012 12:01 GMT
#2005
If I connect the case's fans to the motherboard can I control the fan's speed (and noise)? How do I adjust them? Right now they are connected to the power supply and are really loud.
pQylling
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Denmark139 Posts
April 12 2012 12:22 GMT
#2006
On April 12 2012 21:01 Artline wrote:
If I connect the case's fans to the motherboard can I control the fan's speed (and noise)? How do I adjust them? Right now they are connected to the power supply and are really loud.


The motherboard should have connectors for this and the fans are automatically controlled via the BIOS. You can change the specifics of this inside the bios menu.
danteafk
Profile Joined May 2011
307 Posts
April 12 2012 15:26 GMT
#2007
what stream "ticker" are some streamers using? im talking about a sentence ticker at the bottom/top of stream screens.
TheToast
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States4808 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-12 19:25:44
April 12 2012 18:12 GMT
#2008
Since my Seagate external drive fell apart (literally, the USB port fell out) I've got a nice Seagate 1TB drive sitting on my desk that I can't use. I'm on a laptop, and despite having two old desktops in the closet, I have no monitor to hook them up to (fml). Soooo I'm looking at getting a nice enclosure so I can access my files again. Anyone have any experience with harddrive enclosures?

I'd like to get one with an eSATA so I can actually use that damn port on my laptop, and I'm really really looking for something with decent build quality as I tend to take it with me a lot.

Thermaltake has one for $31 that I was looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153123
And Rosewill has one for $30 as well http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817173042

Both are SATA II which is also something I want as the drive in question is a Barracuda 7200.12 (which incidentally I was really surprised to find inside of that cheap crappy plastic case) I'm leaning towards the Thermaltake one as it's more compact and has a passive cooling system (seriously is an 80mm fan really necessary for an external HDD?)

Anyway anyone have any thoughts?
I like the way the walls go out. Gives you an open feeling. Firefly's a good design. People don't appreciate the substance of things. Objects in space. People miss out on what's solid.
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
April 12 2012 20:12 GMT
#2009
On April 13 2012 03:12 TheToast wrote:
Since my Seagate external drive fell apart (literally, the USB port fell out) I've got a nice Seagate 1TB drive sitting on my desk that I can't use. I'm on a laptop, and despite having two old desktops in the closet, I have no monitor to hook them up to (fml). Soooo I'm looking at getting a nice enclosure so I can access my files again. Anyone have any experience with harddrive enclosures?

I'd like to get one with an eSATA so I can actually use that damn port on my laptop, and I'm really really looking for something with decent build quality as I tend to take it with me a lot.

Thermaltake has one for $31 that I was looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153123
And Rosewill has one for $30 as well http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817173042

Both are SATA II which is also something I want as the drive in question is a Barracuda 7200.12 (which incidentally I was really surprised to find inside of that cheap crappy plastic case) I'm leaning towards the Thermaltake one as it's more compact and has a passive cooling system (seriously is an 80mm fan really necessary for an external HDD?)

Anyway anyone have any thoughts?


You don't need fans. Just noise waiting to happen. If you like the TT, get it, this isn't the sort of situation where it should make a whole lot of difference unless there's a ton of (reliable) complaints about build quality.
TheToast
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States4808 Posts
April 12 2012 20:28 GMT
#2010
On April 13 2012 05:12 JingleHell wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 13 2012 03:12 TheToast wrote:
Since my Seagate external drive fell apart (literally, the USB port fell out) I've got a nice Seagate 1TB drive sitting on my desk that I can't use. I'm on a laptop, and despite having two old desktops in the closet, I have no monitor to hook them up to (fml). Soooo I'm looking at getting a nice enclosure so I can access my files again. Anyone have any experience with harddrive enclosures?

I'd like to get one with an eSATA so I can actually use that damn port on my laptop, and I'm really really looking for something with decent build quality as I tend to take it with me a lot.

Thermaltake has one for $31 that I was looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153123
And Rosewill has one for $30 as well http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817173042

Both are SATA II which is also something I want as the drive in question is a Barracuda 7200.12 (which incidentally I was really surprised to find inside of that cheap crappy plastic case) I'm leaning towards the Thermaltake one as it's more compact and has a passive cooling system (seriously is an 80mm fan really necessary for an external HDD?)

Anyway anyone have any thoughts?


You don't need fans. Just noise waiting to happen. If you like the TT, get it, this isn't the sort of situation where it should make a whole lot of difference unless there's a ton of (reliable) complaints about build quality.


Yeah there are some complaints in the feed back about the plastic plate breaking when the screws are tightened, but that's it. Not that there's much choice, out of the drives that can do both USB and eSATA; TT, Rosewill, and Startek are the only brands I recognize and StarTeck isn't exactly associated with quality in my mind. It's a shame USB 3.0 is already killing off eSATA, you don't really get 5GB/s real data transfer.

Oh, an hilariously TT makes one with TWO fans, just in case one isn't enough. I guess that's just in case someone figures out how to overclock their HDD lol.

I like the way the walls go out. Gives you an open feeling. Firefly's a good design. People don't appreciate the substance of things. Objects in space. People miss out on what's solid.
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
April 12 2012 20:35 GMT
#2011
That sounds like the sort of complaint you get from people who are better at being tools than using them. And yeah, I'd only do USB3 over esata if I was dealing with a thumb drive. Of course, I'm a performance nut, and if I'm in a place where I can't access my desktop, all I need is email, so I really wouldn't be in that situation to begin with. But hey, that's just me.
Jomz
Profile Joined November 2010
United Kingdom117 Posts
April 12 2012 23:41 GMT
#2012
Is the Nvidia GTX 460 better then the GTX 550Ti?
Also, Whats the difference between AMD and Nividia cards?
Do they work differently with Mboards?
I'm so badass I can unscramble eggs.
Medrea
Profile Joined May 2011
10003 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-12 23:46:43
April 12 2012 23:44 GMT
#2013
AMD and nVidia are just competitors, motherboards dont factor into it at all.

A 460 is quite a bit better than a 550ti. That being said a 6850 for the right price is better than both.
twitch.tv/medrea
Jomz
Profile Joined November 2010
United Kingdom117 Posts
April 12 2012 23:50 GMT
#2014
Thanks alot Medrea ^^

Another question. How can you tell if a mboard is actually what you are looking for, I have no idea about the number/letter sequence in the name, I usually go price on whether it's good or not.
I'm so badass I can unscramble eggs.
Medrea
Profile Joined May 2011
10003 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-12 23:53:10
April 12 2012 23:52 GMT
#2015
Well you can ask teamliquid. Also check out the first page in the computer build resource thread.

As for a real answer. H denotes not overclocking, P overclocks, Z overclocks and has integrated video support. There is of course a lot more to it than that. But that's my simple answer. And generally speaking more expensive motherboards will not make your system perform better.
twitch.tv/medrea
Jomz
Profile Joined November 2010
United Kingdom117 Posts
April 12 2012 23:56 GMT
#2016
Oh yeah. Thanks that's really helpful!

Much love xoxo
I'm so badass I can unscramble eggs.
Medrea
Profile Joined May 2011
10003 Posts
April 13 2012 00:00 GMT
#2017
Noticing that the motherboard segment in that thread is very old now. Maybe we do need a re-thread.
twitch.tv/medrea
TheToast
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States4808 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-13 00:01:31
April 13 2012 00:00 GMT
#2018
On April 13 2012 08:50 Jomz wrote:
Thanks alot Medrea ^^

Another question. How can you tell if a mboard is actually what you are looking for, I have no idea about the number/letter sequence in the name, I usually go price on whether it's good or not.


First thing you want to do is make sure the socket is compatible with the CPU you are looking at buying. For reference wikipedia has a nice list of i7s here and a list of i5s here that have the information about which socket each one is compatible with.

Beyond that, benchmarks, benchmarks, benchmarks. Did I mention benchmarks? Most people don't pay much attention to it, but the motherboard is what interfaces all of your components and as such can make a sizable difference in the performance of the full PC. Hardware review sites like Tom's Hardware usually have benchmarks comparing it to compeating boards. Though be careful not to compare across different benchmarks as different reviewers might be using different hardware that can affect the outcome.

Things like the number of PCI and PCIe slots are important, but really should be secondary to the performance of the board. Price is an important factor to take into account, but higher price doesn't always (read: rarely) indicate better performance. Nor do boards using the same chipsets (that is the stuff on the motherboard) necessarily have the same performance either as poor engineering can cause it to be slower.

Things that aren't very important include triple channel versus dual channel memory and number of USB ports or eSATA ports (these can always be added with additional expansion cards later if you need them).

-edit: double ninja'd, fail
I like the way the walls go out. Gives you an open feeling. Firefly's a good design. People don't appreciate the substance of things. Objects in space. People miss out on what's solid.
Medrea
Profile Joined May 2011
10003 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-13 00:05:46
April 13 2012 00:04 GMT
#2019
Of course people don't pay attention to benchmarks for motherboards. Why would they when it often makes less than a single FPS difference and often not even a tenth an FPS difference?

Tom's Hardware is awful now >.>

The only performance bearing element of a motherboard is its ability to overclock with respect to heat.
twitch.tv/medrea
TheToast
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States4808 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-13 00:13:28
April 13 2012 00:12 GMT
#2020
On April 13 2012 09:04 Medrea wrote:
Of course people don't pay attention to benchmarks for motherboards. Why would they when it often makes less than a single FPS difference and often not even a tenth an FPS difference?

Tom's Hardware is awful now >.>

The only performance bearing element of a motherboard is its ability to overclock with respect to heat.


FPS's aren't the only thing you can benchmark: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/x79-extreme4-dx79to-p9x79-benchmark,3138-20.html

And you can sometimes get sizable differences: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/x79-ud3-p9x79-pro-dx79si-benchmark,3111-19.html

All motherboards are not equal. Granted I'm still stuck in 2004 when there was a much bigger difference in performance, but I'm still of the mindset that you need to thoroughly research a motherboard before you buy it. It's the single most important component choice you are going to make (read: most important decision, not most important component because let's face it you already know what CPU family you are going to buy) and it's often regarded as the least important. Also a badly designed BIOS can be a pain in the ass, which is another reason it's a good idea to look into some reviews.

-edit: and yeah I don't like Tom's hardware, but they have a ton of benchmarks.
I like the way the walls go out. Gives you an open feeling. Firefly's a good design. People don't appreciate the substance of things. Objects in space. People miss out on what's solid.
Prev 1 99 100 101 102 103 653 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 48m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 4541
Leta 2288
BeSt 502
Soulkey 395
Soma 183
Rush 65
ZergMaN 30
Shine 30
Dota 2
XcaliburYe115
League of Legends
JimRising 547
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King55
Other Games
summit1g9329
WinterStarcraft714
Sick248
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV198
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 4
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Sammyuel 35
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2311
League of Legends
• Jankos763
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1h 48m
Patches Events
6h 48m
BSL Open Qualifier
10h 48m
BSL Open Qualifier
10h 48m
OSC
14h 48m
OSC
1d 3h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.