• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:21
CEST 11:21
KST 18:21
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War615.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament TL Sidebar missing streams [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror Sagi.gg Launcher Released
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8508 users

[Guideline] SC2 Computers - Page 34

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
Prev 1 32 33 34 35 36 66 Next
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-14 01:49:46
April 14 2010 01:45 GMT
#661
What newegg probably does is take the max power consumption possible (100% load on all components), which is impossible in practical usage unless you plan on running Furmark and prime95 at the same time (which nobody would do anyways). The main concern is the amount of amps on your 12V rail and what other components your 12V rail is powering (hard drives, cpu, etc)
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
Fydor
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada43 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-16 15:14:26
April 16 2010 15:12 GMT
#662
Hey guys, I am still looking for a new computer, how do you think this would run starcraft 2? I do not have a lot of experience with computer parts, but would this system be good quality with potential to upgrade it in the future? It is a pre-built system from newegg.ca if I could get some advice from you guys let me know. the weak link at first glance would be the video card. how is the processor/motherboard?

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229159
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
April 16 2010 18:00 GMT
#663
It will run it at low and probably medium. The parts could be upgraded, but you will not be able to upgrade into a crossfire/SLi setup, but you do have a PCIe x16 which means you can support just about any graphics card. It has a 420W PSU which should be enough for a better GPU.

Upgradeability should be fine. The mobo sports a 780G chipset, and an AM3 socket, so you could potentially upgrade into a higher power Phenom II X4, or even Phenom II X6 processor in the future.
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
shiftY803
Profile Joined April 2010
200 Posts
April 16 2010 18:40 GMT
#664
Try this for calculating wattage. Like the other poster said though, amps on the 12V rail is the most important.

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp
live without appeal. ~ camus
CynanMachae
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
Canada1459 Posts
April 19 2010 02:38 GMT
#665
I'm about to buy a laptop and I have this one in mind:

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=50207

I've fallen quite behind on computer stuff and especially laptop since that would be my first. Running SC2 at decent settings is one of the thing I want it to do, so what should I expect out of it?
Jang Yoon Chul hwaiting!
ZerG~LegenD
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
Sweden1179 Posts
April 19 2010 18:30 GMT
#666
What connection do SC2 require? I've got 2/0.5mbit/s, will it be playable?
Even a broken clock is right twice a day
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
April 19 2010 22:31 GMT
#667
On April 19 2010 11:38 CynanMachae wrote:
I'm about to buy a laptop and I have this one in mind:

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=50207

I've fallen quite behind on computer stuff and especially laptop since that would be my first. Running SC2 at decent settings is one of the thing I want it to do, so what should I expect out of it?


It will run SC2 beautifully

Not sure about internet though.
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
KOFgokuon
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States14912 Posts
April 19 2010 23:18 GMT
#668
what the freak they make laptops with 5850's?
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
April 19 2010 23:21 GMT
#669
All of the mobile 58xx are downclocked 5770s if I remember correctly. I know 5870M ~ 5770.
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
GrayArea
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States872 Posts
April 19 2010 23:52 GMT
#670
Amazing guide, thanks for putting this together. Really helped me understand more about computers and hardware in general too.
Kang Min Fighting!
HaruHaru
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
United States988 Posts
April 20 2010 00:16 GMT
#671
Hi guys, i'm planning on getting a new laptop soon for college! Would this laptop be able to run sc2?
PROCESSOR: 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo with 3MB on-chip shared L2 cache
RAM: 4Gigs
RESOLUTION: 1280x800
GRAPHICS: NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3

Thanks guys! I'm not that familiar with laptop specs.
Long live BroodWar!
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-20 00:18:36
April 20 2010 00:18 GMT
#672
Yes, it should run SC2, though probably only at low
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
sith
Profile Blog Joined July 2005
United States2474 Posts
April 20 2010 01:06 GMT
#673
On April 20 2010 09:18 FragKrag wrote:
Yes, it should run SC2, though probably only at low


I'm running a 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4gb ram, 256mb 8600GTM and I can do medium at least (though it gets a bit choppy if the battles are huge). He should be able to run medium to high imo.
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
April 20 2010 01:08 GMT
#674
On April 20 2010 10:06 sith wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 20 2010 09:18 FragKrag wrote:
Yes, it should run SC2, though probably only at low


I'm running a 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4gb ram, 256mb 8600GTM and I can do medium at least (though it gets a bit choppy if the battles are huge). He should be able to run medium to high imo.

...
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
s2pid_loser
Profile Joined March 2010
United States699 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-20 20:30:09
April 20 2010 20:29 GMT
#675
i was refered to pcinfinity to build a new desktop but from what i can tell from that site they only have 3 platforms to choose from: intel, intel i7, and amd

http://www.pc-infinity.com/configurator.htm

what should i get? or is there a better site to build a good gaming desktop but also not that expensive that can play sc2 without any problems (around 700 to 1000 dollars range)
Et Ducit Mundum Per Luce
sith
Profile Blog Joined July 2005
United States2474 Posts
April 20 2010 22:23 GMT
#676
On April 20 2010 10:08 FragKrag wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 20 2010 10:06 sith wrote:
On April 20 2010 09:18 FragKrag wrote:
Yes, it should run SC2, though probably only at low


I'm running a 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4gb ram, 256mb 8600GTM and I can do medium at least (though it gets a bit choppy if the battles are huge). He should be able to run medium to high imo.

...


What? I have yet to encounter a battle large enough to slow it down in actual ladder play, the only reason I said that is because when massing units in a custom game or something it'll slow down when 100 BC's are fighting 100 carriers. I find this acceptable.
hellstar
Profile Joined April 2010
United States1 Post
April 21 2010 14:02 GMT
#677
Can I run SC2 smoothly at least in medium settings with this laptop?
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220696
Peace,
Cuong
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like banana
ExecutioN
Profile Joined March 2010
Latvia52 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-21 14:31:33
April 21 2010 14:29 GMT
#678
The first post had a question about intergrated cards, here are my 2 cents:

I never got a beta key. Although one of my friends was kind enough to let me play the game on my old laptop to test the frame rate (for the time he stayed over).

Laptop model: Lenovo 3000 n200
Video: Intel GMA X3100
1 gb ram
Processor: Intel Pentium Dual Core T2330 1.6 GHz

Settings: 1280x800, all graphics settings - low, shadows - off (tried to get a few extra fps), physics and etc. - off.

FPS: 6-8

Verdict: Unplayable.

I am planning on buying a laptop for StarCraft II in a week or so for that reason alone (looking at the MSI cr610, mainly becouse of the price).
If I lack belief in God, why would he belive in me?
SneakPeek
Profile Joined April 2010
Philippines162 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-21 15:23:00
April 21 2010 15:22 GMT
#679
Laptop:Acer Aspire 4736z
processor: Intel Pentium Dual Core T4200
GPU: Intel GMA 4500M
RAM: 2GB DDR3
settings: 1360x768
graphics settings: low

the game is playable though sometimes the game lags every now and then. is it my pc or my internet connection??
phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
April 21 2010 17:22 GMT
#680
Hey guys; I'm looking at pre-ordering pretty soon, and therefore getting a beta key. I suppose I'll want to step up the specs of my laptop when I do this, because while it works just fine for SC1 and for schoolwork, I'm not so sure how it will be able to handle SC2. I'm a college student, so a desktop isn't an option, and I don't have enough to flat out buy a new PC. Besides, this one's only a year old.

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L500D
Processor: AMD Turion™ X2 Dual-Core Mobile RM-74 (2.20 GHz)
Ram: 2 GB (pretty sure it's DDR2?)
Graphics Card: Radeon 4500 series

that's all I know to give - if some information is missing, PM me. I'm a complete PC nub (for real. I'm not even sure what you CAN replace or not) but I'm looking to spend between $200 and $400 ish on upgrading this laptop in a way that lets me better run SC2, and this seems like the right place to go for assistance.
Prev 1 32 33 34 35 36 66 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 39m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 6992
Rain 3702
Leta 2437
Soulkey 418
Soma 343
BeSt 297
Rush 213
Barracks 169
soO 162
firebathero 155
[ Show more ]
Stork 104
Sexy 56
Killer 44
Shinee 33
Shine 31
Hm[arnc] 18
Sacsri 17
HiyA 15
Sharp 12
sorry 10
Terrorterran 5
Noble 4
Dota 2
Gorgc3560
XcaliburYe172
League of Legends
JimRising 495
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King70
Other Games
gofns25093
WinterStarcraft638
Pyrionflax193
Sick158
singsing5
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV196
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 5
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• 3DClanTV 67
• Sammyuel 46
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2224
League of Legends
• Jankos2405
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
39m
Patches Events
5h 39m
BSL Open Qualifier
9h 39m
BSL Open Qualifier
9h 39m
OSC
13h 39m
OSC
1d 2h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.