• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 04:32
CEST 10:32
KST 17:32
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War605.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
TL Sidebar missing streams [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror Rollback Netcode in Brood War Sagi.gg Launcher Released BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7979 users

[Guideline] SC2 Computers - Page 32

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
Prev 1 30 31 32 33 34 66 Next
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
April 05 2010 23:28 GMT
#621
I'm not very sure about the laptop graphics :/ I know that the AMD 4200 desktop graphics can probably run SC2 at low though.
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
Toyomaha
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States144 Posts
April 06 2010 16:51 GMT
#622
So I'm currently able to play SC2 on all low settings with the following computer.
Operating system:Windows 7 x32
CPU type:AMD Phenom II X4 955 Processor
CPU Speed:3.22 GHz
System memory (GB):3.248
Graphics card model:ATI Radeon HD 4350
Desktop resolution:1680x1050
Mobo: AMD 790-FX

I figured that my bottleneck was my cheapo GPU, so I borrowed the HD Radeon 4870 1GB DDR5 from our IT guy at work and tried playing the game. I wasn't able to even play on medium without the game totally locking up my computer. Is there something else that you can see that would be the problem? One of my 2GB OCZ sticks of RAM didn't pass the Windows Memory Diagnostic so I sent those in to get replaced. I would have thought that the 4870 would be able to play on at least high settings, right? Any ideas as to why I can't play above low w/ the 4870?
www.starcraftutah.blogspot.com
Savio
Profile Joined April 2008
United States1850 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-07 02:58:34
April 07 2010 02:56 GMT
#623
@ Toyomaha,

4870 is a beast and easily runs on ultra settings if it has enough power supplied. Make sure your Power supply is 550 watt at least. That is my best guess because I am running the same card and my power supply couldn't handle it until I got a 550 watt and now it runs like a charm in big battles over zerg creep on 6x speed on all ultra at 1680x1050.

EDIT: also, just in case, you did install the card driver right?
The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of the blessings. The inherent blessing of socialism is the equal sharing of misery. – Winston Churchill
ig0tfish
Profile Joined July 2009
United States345 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-07 03:23:16
April 07 2010 03:20 GMT
#624
Settings are mostly medium with some high.

OS: Windows Vista 32 bit
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 x2 5000+ clocked at 2.6 ghz
RAM: 2.5 GB
GPU: Radeon HD 4550
Resolution: 1248x780

FPS usually 50-60, drops to no less than 40 in big maps, lots of units, and long game
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
April 07 2010 03:23 GMT
#625
You're going to want to install the latest drivers, and then check our your PSU. It should be able to handle it just by watt, but that is only if it is a decent quality PSU.
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
Toyomaha
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States144 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-07 04:01:12
April 07 2010 03:55 GMT
#626
I have a 580 watt PSU but it doesn't have the 2 6 pin connectors that the 4870 requires so instead I used a 530 watt that was part of the combo deal on newegg. If it does require more than the 530 watt that was on the combo deal then I got screwed by newegg. The AMD website recommends a 500 watt. So if I don't have enough power shouldn't I still be able to play on medium-high settings? Also, I did have the up-to-date drivers at the time but they just released new drivers like in the end of March so I guess I could try the newest one. I'll have to borrow the card again which I can do easily! Will my RX 530SS PSU be enough?
www.starcraftutah.blogspot.com
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
April 07 2010 04:07 GMT
#627
Hm, a 530W should definitely be enough, and you seem to have a good enough 12V rail :/

Do you run other games fine?
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
Savio
Profile Joined April 2008
United States1850 Posts
April 07 2010 04:18 GMT
#628
I dunno Toyomaha. My only guess is that your PSU isn't providing the power it promised.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371016 is what I got and its ideal for the 4870 as it has 2 PCI-E 6-pin connectors, is Antec, and is pretty well priced.
The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of the blessings. The inherent blessing of socialism is the equal sharing of misery. – Winston Churchill
Toyomaha
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States144 Posts
April 07 2010 04:29 GMT
#629
I'm a SC player 4 life so I don't play any other games. How can I tell if it's my PSU not kicking enough power? My 580 watt PSU is a single rail and the 530 is a dual rail with all the 6 pin connectors.
www.starcraftutah.blogspot.com
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-07 04:32:35
April 07 2010 04:32 GMT
#630
Well, if you can play another demanding game fine, then it isn't a problem with your PSU. You could also try to run some tests that will stress your GPU a lot, but that is not the best approach. It's best if you can find a game and see how well your GPU plays that game.
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
Toyomaha
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States144 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-07 04:58:57
April 07 2010 04:51 GMT
#631
I'll download the 10-day WoW Trial and see how it performs on that. Not sure if that's considered a "high demanding" game or not but I'll see if it works.

@ Savio
What did you have before you upgraded to your 550? What would happen when your previous PSU wouldn't cut it? Just wondering if you would have system lock-ups like I did.
www.starcraftutah.blogspot.com
Fydor
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada43 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-09 20:03:21
April 09 2010 19:39 GMT
#632
I have an Aspire 9420 lap top. I believe that this thing is probably way to lousy to play SC2 on. I downloaded the beta, installed all the patches. Now when I try to start the game, the game opens a black screen and then does not respond.

Just so I know for sure, is this because my computer can't handle it? (I noticed someone got a message saying, "Computer Doesn't meet min Req" but mine never gets to anything like that.

On that note I want to build a new desktop to play it on in the range of $700. Can i get a system that will play it on ultra for that price?

Thanks for any help and comments.

Also I was thinking of buying this compter for $500. Is it worth it? and more importantly at what level of graphics would it play Starcraft 2 on.

CPU: AMD Phenom 9650 @ 2.3ghz QUAD CORE
Motherboard: XFX 750a SLI Deluxe
RAM: 2x 2048mb Corsair XMS2 @ 800mhz (4 gigs)
Power Supply: OCZ Modular 600watts, SLI ready
Harddisk: 150gigs
Graphics: EVGA Geforce 9500GT, 1gig DDR3 video memory, HD 1080p ready
Optical Drive: LG Multi DVD writer

Thanks for the help.
Ursad0n
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States523 Posts
April 09 2010 20:32 GMT
#633
On April 10 2010 04:39 Fydor wrote:
I have an Aspire 9420 lap top. I believe that this thing is probably way to lousy to play SC2 on. I downloaded the beta, installed all the patches. Now when I try to start the game, the game opens a black screen and then does not respond.

Just so I know for sure, is this because my computer can't handle it? (I noticed someone got a message saying, "Computer Doesn't meet min Req" but mine never gets to anything like that.

On that note I want to build a new desktop to play it on in the range of $700. Can i get a system that will play it on ultra for that price?

Thanks for any help and comments.

Also I was thinking of buying this compter for $500. Is it worth it? and more importantly at what level of graphics would it play Starcraft 2 on.

CPU: AMD Phenom 9650 @ 2.3ghz QUAD CORE
Motherboard: XFX 750a SLI Deluxe
RAM: 2x 2048mb Corsair XMS2 @ 800mhz (4 gigs)
Power Supply: OCZ Modular 600watts, SLI ready
Harddisk: 150gigs
Graphics: EVGA Geforce 9500GT, 1gig DDR3 video memory, HD 1080p ready
Optical Drive: LG Multi DVD writer

Thanks for the help.

I don't know if that will be able to run it (wait for FragKrag's response)
But there is no doubt in my mind that you can get a computer to run it on ultra for Under 700 Dollars.

Mine was 700 (not counting monitor) and its definitely overkill haha :D
You make it sound like there's a correlation between what should happen and what actually happens. I mean, life is chaotic and it's often unfair. I know it is for me.
Gandalf
Profile Joined August 2004
Pakistan1905 Posts
April 09 2010 20:36 GMT
#634
Hey fragkrag, is it okay to let your gpu fan run at 60% all the time? I was getting 55C while idle and 75C while playing sc2/hon on my gtx 285, and my fan speed was at 40%. I used evgas precision program or whatever to bump the fan speed up to 60%. Both my idle and under load temps have dropped by 5-7C. Is leaving my fan speed at 60% permanently okay? Or should I just bump it up when I'm about to play?
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
April 09 2010 22:29 GMT
#635
Fyodr: It will not be easy to configure an ultra ready system with $700 if you need an OS/monitor/peripherals. That computer will run SC2 at medium at max. The 9500GT is a very weak card on par with the 4650, and I doubt that system is worth $500. A general outline of the $700 system would be a Athlon II X4, 4GB DDR3, AM3 motherboard, ATI HD 4850.

Gandalf: You can leave your fan speed at just about anywhere as long as you can take the noise really. Your temps are a bit high for the GTX 285 which is generally considered a fairly quiet and cool card. 50-60% permanently should be perfectly fine, though if I were you I would inspect the card for dust, and maybe fix up my cable management a bit because it seems like your card is running a bit hot.
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
AeroGear
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada652 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-09 23:13:29
April 09 2010 23:09 GMT
#636
On April 07 2010 11:56 Savio wrote:
@ Toyomaha,

4870 is a beast and easily runs on ultra settings if it has enough power supplied. Make sure your Power supply is 550 watt at least. That is my best guess because I am running the same card and my power supply couldn't handle it until I got a 550 watt and now it runs like a charm in big battles over zerg creep on 6x speed on all ultra at 1680x1050.

EDIT: also, just in case, you did install the card driver right?


I have a Q9550 with an HD4870 1GB DDR5 with pretty standard 4gig of ram (win xp) and I honestly cant run it all on ultra, I have to set textures to high and I still get occasionally some slowdown especially big fights (4 players) with psi storm involved. So I'm currently running it in 1900x1200 (16 bit) with every maxed but textures. Have a 850 watt Antec PSU, dont really want to consider OC'ing cpu or video card.

Its a bit frustrating but meh I'm not gonna upgrade solely for SC2, but I wouldve expected to max out everything on a game that's been in development for SO LONG. I see people with much older (dual core pcs) claiming to have some pretty high fps with everything maxed and it leaves me bitter. Am 1 version behind driverwise but it should'nt account for a huge increase. Others suggest grabbing windows 7 and cranking up some more ram, which is something I'm considering. Otherwise I'm hoping ATI (which I'll probably never buy again) releases a newer/better set of drivers.

One last option I could consider might be to get a raptor HD to runs game, it would have to be a significant improvement otherwise it just doesnt seem worth the investment.
Driven by hate, fueled by rage
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
April 09 2010 23:42 GMT
#637
Hm that is actually very strange since the HD4870 should be able to run it on ultra at that resolution based on the previous benchmark we got. What FPS are you getting average with that 4870?

I doubt RAM will help your performance at all, and a WD Velociraptor wouldn't affect in-game performance either.
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
AeroGear
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada652 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-10 00:36:38
April 10 2010 00:13 GMT
#638
On April 10 2010 08:42 FragKrag wrote:
Hm that is actually very strange since the HD4870 should be able to run it on ultra at that resolution based on the previous benchmark we got. What FPS are you getting average with that 4870?

I doubt RAM will help your performance at all, and a WD Velociraptor wouldn't affect in-game performance either.


Ran fraps for a while in a custom game vs computer (I'll try it again in a multiplayer game)

FPS hovers between 52 (never went higher) and 34 (when I zoom in using mousewheel), tested it with a 155 food army in a fully teched zerg base with overlords all over the place puking creep, not that it seems to matters.

Tested it both with 1900x1200(16) and 1680x1050(32). 1680x1050 provided slightly higher fps (like 4-5).

Running it in 2on2 on twilight fortress even showed similar results FPSwise. Sometimes I get "Metolius slowing game down msg", this last game I didnt. No choppy moments either.
Driven by hate, fueled by rage
AyeH
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States534 Posts
April 10 2010 00:28 GMT
#639
FPS never dips below 60 because that's my refresh rate.
Is it in you?
Cyn
Profile Joined April 2010
1 Post
April 10 2010 00:33 GMT
#640
On April 07 2010 01:51 Toyomaha wrote:
So I'm currently able to play SC2 on all low settings with the following computer.
Operating system:Windows 7 x32
CPU type:AMD Phenom II X4 955 Processor
CPU Speed:3.22 GHz
System memory (GB):3.248
Graphics card model:ATI Radeon HD 4350
Desktop resolution:1680x1050
Mobo: AMD 790-FX

I figured that my bottleneck was my cheapo GPU, so I borrowed the HD Radeon 4870 1GB DDR5 from our IT guy at work and tried playing the game. I wasn't able to even play on medium without the game totally locking up my computer. Is there something else that you can see that would be the problem? One of my 2GB OCZ sticks of RAM didn't pass the Windows Memory Diagnostic so I sent those in to get replaced. I would have thought that the 4870 would be able to play on at least high settings, right? Any ideas as to why I can't play above low w/ the 4870?


Toyomaha, your system more than meets the min requirements, particularly if you added in a 4870. It sounds like something in your machine is causing the problems. My guess would be your RAM is screwing you somehow (overclocked, wrong voltage, etc). I'd recommend going down to 2GB of RAM and testing to see how the game behaves with the 4870 again.
Prev 1 30 31 32 33 34 66 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 28m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 4260
Leta 2655
Soulkey 491
BeSt 477
Soma 263
Rush 146
Killer 44
ZergMaN 29
Shine 28
Shinee 22
[ Show more ]
Hm[arnc] 12
Dota 2
XcaliburYe222
League of Legends
JimRising 583
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King75
Other Games
WinterStarcraft718
Sick280
Pyrionflax57
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV222
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 6
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Sammyuel 38
• 3DClanTV 18
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2330
League of Legends
• Jankos1873
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1h 28m
Patches Events
6h 28m
BSL Open Qualifier
10h 28m
BSL Open Qualifier
10h 28m
OSC
14h 28m
OSC
1d 3h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.