• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:47
CEST 22:47
KST 05:47
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site Bot on ladder BW General Discussion BSL Season 23 Klaucher discontinued / in-game color settings
Tourneys
2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8597 users

#1: Maru - Greatest Players of All Time - Page 50

Forum Index > SC2 General
1727 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 48 49 50 51 52 87 Next
RowdierBob
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
Australia13526 Posts
June 09 2024 11:21 GMT
#981
On June 08 2024 22:18 HolydaKing wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 08 2024 21:48 RowdierBob wrote:
I am admittedly a very very casual sc2 person but can someone ELI5 how Maru is considered better than Serral when their head to head is 43-19 (from what I could see) in Serral’s favour?

I'll keep it short. Most people that consider Maru the goat will admit Serral is better than him for years, but they argue Maru is the greatest of all times because he was around for far longer and had some success then too. He was always very good, and you can't blame anyone for saying Maru is the GOAT even when he is doing worse than Serral for years.

Thanks!
"Terrans are pretty much space-Australians" - H
Mizenhauer
Profile Blog Joined February 2015
United States1967 Posts
June 09 2024 11:25 GMT
#982
On June 09 2024 14:25 frustratedsc2user wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 09 2024 05:07 Cricketer12 wrote:
On June 09 2024 01:58 frustratedsc2user wrote:
Why don't people admit that guys like Serral is just genetically superior. Its like asking who's more handsome naturally, Brad Pitt or Adam Driver. Its all genetics. Life is ALL about genetics. Its all Darwinism. Survival of the fittest. Its like how women genuinely desire to breed with alphamales and not betamales.

Right now Serral is the alpha of SC2. Everyone else is a beta. They can practice all they want but they will NEVER be able to match true good genetics. It is what it is.

Because we aren't Nazis and recognize genetics are NOT everything. They absolutely play a critical role, but genetics by themselves never tell the full story.


Maru and the Koreans practice day in and day out. Serral barely practices and spends more time doing things like yoga. You cant say he won without pure genetics. You don't have to be a Nazi to know that some people are genetically superior to others. For example, Brad Pitt is 100% genetically superior to Adam Sandler.


How do you know Maru and the Koreans practice day in and day out? Are you a fly on the wall of Maru's apartment?
┗|∵|┓Second Place in LB 28, Third Place in LB 29 and Destined to Be a Kong
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27451 Posts
June 09 2024 12:04 GMT
#983
On June 09 2024 11:07 goldensail wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 04 2024 01:39 Mizenhauer wrote:
On June 04 2024 01:31 goldensail wrote:
I don't remember if it was this topic or the Addendum topic where I made the statement that IMO, if Serral had played Terran, he would be behind Maru, Inno, Clem, and a few others. This pissed off some people, who either said I was absurd or baseless. I admit I had no evidence, and it was little more than a hunch.

Lo and behold I just came across this video of Serral playing Terran against a nobody Zerg in a Finnish contest. I'll let you watch the series and draw your own conclusion on whether my hunch is justified. Remember this happened around end of '18 when Serral was already placed on a pedestal by many.



This is dumb.

A) You can't take offracing seriously. They invest thousands of hours into the race they play and let the other two atrophy.

B) Back when soO was 6.6k (2017) he was between 5.8 and and 5.5 as Terran on the KR Server. This is a case by case basis type deal.

C) He'll forever be the first foreigner to win Blizzcon butm as for his actual tournament resume goes, he was nowhere near the most decorated player in the world/SC2 history.

D) You just outed yourself, dude. Did you actually refer to (Z)ZhuGeLiang a random Zerg nobody? When did you start following SC2 and, do you only watch Serral matches?


I started watching SC2 with a caster named HDStarcraft, he was one of the pioneers in this space and some of the readers probably remember him.

I'm aware that Zhugeliang is one of the best players in Finland but that's not saying a whole lot. I was probably too harsh to call him "nobody", but if you watched the series it should be obvious that he played poorly.

I acknowledge that Serral offracing in Terran is not the same as playing Terran full time. However:
1) Serral clearly felt confident enough about playing Terran that he chose to use it in a tournament
2) it wasn't just his micro that's mediocre, but also his multi-tasking. The latter is a transferrable skill between races.

We'll never really know how good Serral would've become as Terran, but his performance in this series indirectly supports my original opinion that he wouldn't be as good as Maru, Inno, etc. if he had chosen to play this race. Is it proof? No. But to say he would've become one of the best Terrans is a baseless conjecture.

Again, I know I read somewhere that Serral orginally played Terran but later switched to Zerg. I can't find the source now. I hope someone with actual knowledge of this can confirm or disaffirm.

And how many Terrans would have similar results with races with far less micro potential?

Players either pick a race they find cool and gradually morph to it, or a race that suits how they wanna play and suits them. There are probably exceptions who play the ‘wrong race’ to be fair but generally.

The whole point is that the races are different anyway. That’s why StarCraft was so successful in the first place.

Will a top player who’d played another race for years be 100% equivalent to their current form in our reality? Not necessarily, of course, but they’ll likely be somewhere in the ballpark. Hell some may actually do better as per my previous.

It’s typical Terran master race to only apply this in one direction. Plenty of Terrans have fantastic micro and macro and just bludgeon their opponents with it. This isn’t something you can do so much with the other two, especially not Protoss.

Clem with his current skill set in this timeline clearly has a game suited to his chosen race, as does Serral for his. But I somewhat doubt that if you swapped their races around back in 2012 or whenever, they wouldn’t be competitive players now.
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
Mizenhauer
Profile Blog Joined February 2015
United States1967 Posts
June 09 2024 13:40 GMT
#984
On June 09 2024 21:04 WombaT wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 09 2024 11:07 goldensail wrote:
On June 04 2024 01:39 Mizenhauer wrote:
On June 04 2024 01:31 goldensail wrote:
I don't remember if it was this topic or the Addendum topic where I made the statement that IMO, if Serral had played Terran, he would be behind Maru, Inno, Clem, and a few others. This pissed off some people, who either said I was absurd or baseless. I admit I had no evidence, and it was little more than a hunch.

Lo and behold I just came across this video of Serral playing Terran against a nobody Zerg in a Finnish contest. I'll let you watch the series and draw your own conclusion on whether my hunch is justified. Remember this happened around end of '18 when Serral was already placed on a pedestal by many.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSrrS2tFi90&t=2108s


This is dumb.

A) You can't take offracing seriously. They invest thousands of hours into the race they play and let the other two atrophy.

B) Back when soO was 6.6k (2017) he was between 5.8 and and 5.5 as Terran on the KR Server. This is a case by case basis type deal.

C) He'll forever be the first foreigner to win Blizzcon butm as for his actual tournament resume goes, he was nowhere near the most decorated player in the world/SC2 history.

D) You just outed yourself, dude. Did you actually refer to (Z)ZhuGeLiang a random Zerg nobody? When did you start following SC2 and, do you only watch Serral matches?


I started watching SC2 with a caster named HDStarcraft, he was one of the pioneers in this space and some of the readers probably remember him.

I'm aware that Zhugeliang is one of the best players in Finland but that's not saying a whole lot. I was probably too harsh to call him "nobody", but if you watched the series it should be obvious that he played poorly.

I acknowledge that Serral offracing in Terran is not the same as playing Terran full time. However:
1) Serral clearly felt confident enough about playing Terran that he chose to use it in a tournament
2) it wasn't just his micro that's mediocre, but also his multi-tasking. The latter is a transferrable skill between races.

We'll never really know how good Serral would've become as Terran, but his performance in this series indirectly supports my original opinion that he wouldn't be as good as Maru, Inno, etc. if he had chosen to play this race. Is it proof? No. But to say he would've become one of the best Terrans is a baseless conjecture.

Again, I know I read somewhere that Serral orginally played Terran but later switched to Zerg. I can't find the source now. I hope someone with actual knowledge of this can confirm or disaffirm.

And how many Terrans would have similar results with races with far less micro potential?

Players either pick a race they find cool and gradually morph to it, or a race that suits how they wanna play and suits them. There are probably exceptions who play the ‘wrong race’ to be fair but generally.

The whole point is that the races are different anyway. That’s why StarCraft was so successful in the first place.

Will a top player who’d played another race for years be 100% equivalent to their current form in our reality? Not necessarily, of course, but they’ll likely be somewhere in the ballpark. Hell some may actually do better as per my previous.

It’s typical Terran master race to only apply this in one direction. Plenty of Terrans have fantastic micro and macro and just bludgeon their opponents with it. This isn’t something you can do so much with the other two, especially not Protoss.

Clem with his current skill set in this timeline clearly has a game suited to his chosen race, as does Serral for his. But I somewhat doubt that if you swapped their races around back in 2012 or whenever, they wouldn’t be competitive players now.


Serral as a Heart of the Swarm Protoss would have been disgusting.
┗|∵|┓Second Place in LB 28, Third Place in LB 29 and Destined to Be a Kong
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27451 Posts
June 09 2024 14:04 GMT
#985
On June 09 2024 22:40 Mizenhauer wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 09 2024 21:04 WombaT wrote:
On June 09 2024 11:07 goldensail wrote:
On June 04 2024 01:39 Mizenhauer wrote:
On June 04 2024 01:31 goldensail wrote:
I don't remember if it was this topic or the Addendum topic where I made the statement that IMO, if Serral had played Terran, he would be behind Maru, Inno, Clem, and a few others. This pissed off some people, who either said I was absurd or baseless. I admit I had no evidence, and it was little more than a hunch.

Lo and behold I just came across this video of Serral playing Terran against a nobody Zerg in a Finnish contest. I'll let you watch the series and draw your own conclusion on whether my hunch is justified. Remember this happened around end of '18 when Serral was already placed on a pedestal by many.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSrrS2tFi90&t=2108s


This is dumb.

A) You can't take offracing seriously. They invest thousands of hours into the race they play and let the other two atrophy.

B) Back when soO was 6.6k (2017) he was between 5.8 and and 5.5 as Terran on the KR Server. This is a case by case basis type deal.

C) He'll forever be the first foreigner to win Blizzcon butm as for his actual tournament resume goes, he was nowhere near the most decorated player in the world/SC2 history.

D) You just outed yourself, dude. Did you actually refer to (Z)ZhuGeLiang a random Zerg nobody? When did you start following SC2 and, do you only watch Serral matches?


I started watching SC2 with a caster named HDStarcraft, he was one of the pioneers in this space and some of the readers probably remember him.

I'm aware that Zhugeliang is one of the best players in Finland but that's not saying a whole lot. I was probably too harsh to call him "nobody", but if you watched the series it should be obvious that he played poorly.

I acknowledge that Serral offracing in Terran is not the same as playing Terran full time. However:
1) Serral clearly felt confident enough about playing Terran that he chose to use it in a tournament
2) it wasn't just his micro that's mediocre, but also his multi-tasking. The latter is a transferrable skill between races.

We'll never really know how good Serral would've become as Terran, but his performance in this series indirectly supports my original opinion that he wouldn't be as good as Maru, Inno, etc. if he had chosen to play this race. Is it proof? No. But to say he would've become one of the best Terrans is a baseless conjecture.

Again, I know I read somewhere that Serral orginally played Terran but later switched to Zerg. I can't find the source now. I hope someone with actual knowledge of this can confirm or disaffirm.

And how many Terrans would have similar results with races with far less micro potential?

Players either pick a race they find cool and gradually morph to it, or a race that suits how they wanna play and suits them. There are probably exceptions who play the ‘wrong race’ to be fair but generally.

The whole point is that the races are different anyway. That’s why StarCraft was so successful in the first place.

Will a top player who’d played another race for years be 100% equivalent to their current form in our reality? Not necessarily, of course, but they’ll likely be somewhere in the ballpark. Hell some may actually do better as per my previous.

It’s typical Terran master race to only apply this in one direction. Plenty of Terrans have fantastic micro and macro and just bludgeon their opponents with it. This isn’t something you can do so much with the other two, especially not Protoss.

Clem with his current skill set in this timeline clearly has a game suited to his chosen race, as does Serral for his. But I somewhat doubt that if you swapped their races around back in 2012 or whenever, they wouldn’t be competitive players now.


Serral as a Heart of the Swarm Protoss would have been disgusting.

*Shudders*
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
Cricketer12
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
United States14003 Posts
June 09 2024 14:35 GMT
#986
On June 09 2024 14:25 frustratedsc2user wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 09 2024 05:07 Cricketer12 wrote:
On June 09 2024 01:58 frustratedsc2user wrote:
Why don't people admit that guys like Serral is just genetically superior. Its like asking who's more handsome naturally, Brad Pitt or Adam Driver. Its all genetics. Life is ALL about genetics. Its all Darwinism. Survival of the fittest. Its like how women genuinely desire to breed with alphamales and not betamales.

Right now Serral is the alpha of SC2. Everyone else is a beta. They can practice all they want but they will NEVER be able to match true good genetics. It is what it is.

Because we aren't Nazis and recognize genetics are NOT everything. They absolutely play a critical role, but genetics by themselves never tell the full story.


Maru and the Koreans practice day in and day out. Serral barely practices and spends more time doing things like yoga. You cant say he won without pure genetics. You don't have to be a Nazi to know that some people are genetically superior to others. For example, Brad Pitt is 100% genetically superior to Adam Sandler.

I would have agreed with you 8 years ago. I think it was very easy to attribute Korean success to the Team House environment/their insane work ethic. With the dissolution of KeSpa, we found Koreans branch out in their practices wildly, but the general consensus I believe was they worked less and incorporated more variety into practice beyond just grinding games.
Engage, Zero target Engage, Engage, Kagari target Engage, Engage.
Mizenhauer
Profile Blog Joined February 2015
United States1967 Posts
Last Edited: 2024-06-09 14:57:05
June 09 2024 14:56 GMT
#987
On June 09 2024 23:35 Cricketer12 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 09 2024 14:25 frustratedsc2user wrote:
On June 09 2024 05:07 Cricketer12 wrote:
On June 09 2024 01:58 frustratedsc2user wrote:
Why don't people admit that guys like Serral is just genetically superior. Its like asking who's more handsome naturally, Brad Pitt or Adam Driver. Its all genetics. Life is ALL about genetics. Its all Darwinism. Survival of the fittest. Its like how women genuinely desire to breed with alphamales and not betamales.

Right now Serral is the alpha of SC2. Everyone else is a beta. They can practice all they want but they will NEVER be able to match true good genetics. It is what it is.

Because we aren't Nazis and recognize genetics are NOT everything. They absolutely play a critical role, but genetics by themselves never tell the full story.


Maru and the Koreans practice day in and day out. Serral barely practices and spends more time doing things like yoga. You cant say he won without pure genetics. You don't have to be a Nazi to know that some people are genetically superior to others. For example, Brad Pitt is 100% genetically superior to Adam Sandler.

I would have agreed with you 8 years ago. I think it was very easy to attribute Korean success to the Team House environment/their insane work ethic. With the dissolution of KeSpa, we found Koreans branch out in their practices wildly, but the general consensus I believe was they worked less and incorporated more variety into practice beyond just grinding games.


Pretty much.
┗|∵|┓Second Place in LB 28, Third Place in LB 29 and Destined to Be a Kong
Poopi
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
France13022 Posts
June 09 2024 15:28 GMT
#988
It is far easier for the body / mind to maintain skill / strength, than to build it. It is true both in sports / bodybuilding / esports, so while Clem right now might not need to practice a ton, he used to grind A LOT back in the days. There might be a more efficient way to train the mechanics of young aspiring pro gamers, but usually people need to put in the hours at some point.

WriterMaru
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27451 Posts
June 09 2024 16:16 GMT
#989
On June 10 2024 00:28 Poopi wrote:
It is far easier for the body / mind to maintain skill / strength, than to build it. It is true both in sports / bodybuilding / esports, so while Clem right now might not need to practice a ton, he used to grind A LOT back in the days. There might be a more efficient way to train the mechanics of young aspiring pro gamers, but usually people need to put in the hours at some point.


Aye, a top class concert pianist isn’t generally grinding all the time once established, they certainly were putting in the hours as youths though.

'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
frustratedsc2user
Profile Joined March 2024
10 Posts
June 09 2024 17:44 GMT
#990
On June 10 2024 00:28 Poopi wrote:
It is far easier for the body / mind to maintain skill / strength, than to build it. It is true both in sports / bodybuilding / esports, so while Clem right now might not need to practice a ton, he used to grind A LOT back in the days. There might be a more efficient way to train the mechanics of young aspiring pro gamers, but usually people need to put in the hours at some point.



You know pure genetics beats pure hard work right? For example, if a tall, handsome guy goes to the club with a short ugly balding guy who approaches as many girls as possible, who do you think will end up dancing with and bringing home more girls?
Mizenhauer
Profile Blog Joined February 2015
United States1967 Posts
June 09 2024 18:28 GMT
#991
On June 10 2024 02:44 frustratedsc2user wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 10 2024 00:28 Poopi wrote:
It is far easier for the body / mind to maintain skill / strength, than to build it. It is true both in sports / bodybuilding / esports, so while Clem right now might not need to practice a ton, he used to grind A LOT back in the days. There might be a more efficient way to train the mechanics of young aspiring pro gamers, but usually people need to put in the hours at some point.



You know pure genetics beats pure hard work right? For example, if a tall, handsome guy goes to the club with a short ugly balding guy who approaches as many girls as possible, who do you think will end up dancing with and bringing home more girls?


We've truly reached the nadir.
┗|∵|┓Second Place in LB 28, Third Place in LB 29 and Destined to Be a Kong
Poopi
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
France13022 Posts
June 09 2024 18:35 GMT
#992
On June 10 2024 02:44 frustratedsc2user wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 10 2024 00:28 Poopi wrote:
It is far easier for the body / mind to maintain skill / strength, than to build it. It is true both in sports / bodybuilding / esports, so while Clem right now might not need to practice a ton, he used to grind A LOT back in the days. There might be a more efficient way to train the mechanics of young aspiring pro gamers, but usually people need to put in the hours at some point.



You know pure genetics beats pure hard work right? For example, if a tall, handsome guy goes to the club with a short ugly balding guy who approaches as many girls as possible, who do you think will end up dancing with and bringing home more girls?

Then your genetics for trolling must be awfully bad
WriterMaru
tskarzyn
Profile Joined July 2010
United States516 Posts
June 10 2024 00:44 GMT
#993
On June 09 2024 20:21 RowdierBob wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 08 2024 22:18 HolydaKing wrote:
On June 08 2024 21:48 RowdierBob wrote:
I am admittedly a very very casual sc2 person but can someone ELI5 how Maru is considered better than Serral when their head to head is 43-19 (from what I could see) in Serral’s favour?

I'll keep it short. Most people that consider Maru the goat will admit Serral is better than him for years, but they argue Maru is the greatest of all times because he was around for far longer and had some success then too. He was always very good, and you can't blame anyone for saying Maru is the GOAT even when he is doing worse than Serral for years.

Thanks!


Well, they also play different races. Folks who favor Maru for GOAT almost certainly bake in the assumption that Terran is a more difficult race. Serral is undoubtedly the greatest Zerg of all time, though.
Harris1st
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Germany7420 Posts
June 10 2024 06:59 GMT
#994
On June 09 2024 22:40 Mizenhauer wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 09 2024 21:04 WombaT wrote:
On June 09 2024 11:07 goldensail wrote:
On June 04 2024 01:39 Mizenhauer wrote:
On June 04 2024 01:31 goldensail wrote:
I don't remember if it was this topic or the Addendum topic where I made the statement that IMO, if Serral had played Terran, he would be behind Maru, Inno, Clem, and a few others. This pissed off some people, who either said I was absurd or baseless. I admit I had no evidence, and it was little more than a hunch.

Lo and behold I just came across this video of Serral playing Terran against a nobody Zerg in a Finnish contest. I'll let you watch the series and draw your own conclusion on whether my hunch is justified. Remember this happened around end of '18 when Serral was already placed on a pedestal by many.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSrrS2tFi90&t=2108s


This is dumb.

A) You can't take offracing seriously. They invest thousands of hours into the race they play and let the other two atrophy.

B) Back when soO was 6.6k (2017) he was between 5.8 and and 5.5 as Terran on the KR Server. This is a case by case basis type deal.

C) He'll forever be the first foreigner to win Blizzcon butm as for his actual tournament resume goes, he was nowhere near the most decorated player in the world/SC2 history.

D) You just outed yourself, dude. Did you actually refer to (Z)ZhuGeLiang a random Zerg nobody? When did you start following SC2 and, do you only watch Serral matches?


I started watching SC2 with a caster named HDStarcraft, he was one of the pioneers in this space and some of the readers probably remember him.

I'm aware that Zhugeliang is one of the best players in Finland but that's not saying a whole lot. I was probably too harsh to call him "nobody", but if you watched the series it should be obvious that he played poorly.

I acknowledge that Serral offracing in Terran is not the same as playing Terran full time. However:
1) Serral clearly felt confident enough about playing Terran that he chose to use it in a tournament
2) it wasn't just his micro that's mediocre, but also his multi-tasking. The latter is a transferrable skill between races.

We'll never really know how good Serral would've become as Terran, but his performance in this series indirectly supports my original opinion that he wouldn't be as good as Maru, Inno, etc. if he had chosen to play this race. Is it proof? No. But to say he would've become one of the best Terrans is a baseless conjecture.

Again, I know I read somewhere that Serral orginally played Terran but later switched to Zerg. I can't find the source now. I hope someone with actual knowledge of this can confirm or disaffirm.

And how many Terrans would have similar results with races with far less micro potential?

Players either pick a race they find cool and gradually morph to it, or a race that suits how they wanna play and suits them. There are probably exceptions who play the ‘wrong race’ to be fair but generally.

The whole point is that the races are different anyway. That’s why StarCraft was so successful in the first place.

Will a top player who’d played another race for years be 100% equivalent to their current form in our reality? Not necessarily, of course, but they’ll likely be somewhere in the ballpark. Hell some may actually do better as per my previous.

It’s typical Terran master race to only apply this in one direction. Plenty of Terrans have fantastic micro and macro and just bludgeon their opponents with it. This isn’t something you can do so much with the other two, especially not Protoss.

Clem with his current skill set in this timeline clearly has a game suited to his chosen race, as does Serral for his. But I somewhat doubt that if you swapped their races around back in 2012 or whenever, they wouldn’t be competitive players now.


Serral as a Heart of the Swarm Protoss would have been disgusting.


Was that the Archon toilet meta?
Go Serral! GG EZ for Ence. Flashbang dance FTW
MJG
Profile Joined May 2018
United Kingdom1451 Posts
Last Edited: 2024-06-10 09:48:45
June 10 2024 09:48 GMT
#995
On June 10 2024 15:59 Harris1st wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 09 2024 22:40 Mizenhauer wrote:
On June 09 2024 21:04 WombaT wrote:
On June 09 2024 11:07 goldensail wrote:
On June 04 2024 01:39 Mizenhauer wrote:
On June 04 2024 01:31 goldensail wrote:
I don't remember if it was this topic or the Addendum topic where I made the statement that IMO, if Serral had played Terran, he would be behind Maru, Inno, Clem, and a few others. This pissed off some people, who either said I was absurd or baseless. I admit I had no evidence, and it was little more than a hunch.

Lo and behold I just came across this video of Serral playing Terran against a nobody Zerg in a Finnish contest. I'll let you watch the series and draw your own conclusion on whether my hunch is justified. Remember this happened around end of '18 when Serral was already placed on a pedestal by many.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSrrS2tFi90&t=2108s


This is dumb.

A) You can't take offracing seriously. They invest thousands of hours into the race they play and let the other two atrophy.

B) Back when soO was 6.6k (2017) he was between 5.8 and and 5.5 as Terran on the KR Server. This is a case by case basis type deal.

C) He'll forever be the first foreigner to win Blizzcon butm as for his actual tournament resume goes, he was nowhere near the most decorated player in the world/SC2 history.

D) You just outed yourself, dude. Did you actually refer to (Z)ZhuGeLiang a random Zerg nobody? When did you start following SC2 and, do you only watch Serral matches?


I started watching SC2 with a caster named HDStarcraft, he was one of the pioneers in this space and some of the readers probably remember him.

I'm aware that Zhugeliang is one of the best players in Finland but that's not saying a whole lot. I was probably too harsh to call him "nobody", but if you watched the series it should be obvious that he played poorly.

I acknowledge that Serral offracing in Terran is not the same as playing Terran full time. However:
1) Serral clearly felt confident enough about playing Terran that he chose to use it in a tournament
2) it wasn't just his micro that's mediocre, but also his multi-tasking. The latter is a transferrable skill between races.

We'll never really know how good Serral would've become as Terran, but his performance in this series indirectly supports my original opinion that he wouldn't be as good as Maru, Inno, etc. if he had chosen to play this race. Is it proof? No. But to say he would've become one of the best Terrans is a baseless conjecture.

Again, I know I read somewhere that Serral orginally played Terran but later switched to Zerg. I can't find the source now. I hope someone with actual knowledge of this can confirm or disaffirm.

And how many Terrans would have similar results with races with far less micro potential?

Players either pick a race they find cool and gradually morph to it, or a race that suits how they wanna play and suits them. There are probably exceptions who play the ‘wrong race’ to be fair but generally.

The whole point is that the races are different anyway. That’s why StarCraft was so successful in the first place.

Will a top player who’d played another race for years be 100% equivalent to their current form in our reality? Not necessarily, of course, but they’ll likely be somewhere in the ballpark. Hell some may actually do better as per my previous.

It’s typical Terran master race to only apply this in one direction. Plenty of Terrans have fantastic micro and macro and just bludgeon their opponents with it. This isn’t something you can do so much with the other two, especially not Protoss.

Clem with his current skill set in this timeline clearly has a game suited to his chosen race, as does Serral for his. But I somewhat doubt that if you swapped their races around back in 2012 or whenever, they wouldn’t be competitive players now.


Serral as a Heart of the Swarm Protoss would have been disgusting.


Was that the Archon toilet meta?

Vortex only existed in Wings of Liberty.

(Wiki)Vortex
puking up frothing vitriolic sarcastic spittle
Ciaus237
Profile Joined July 2015
South Africa288 Posts
June 10 2024 10:53 GMT
#996
On June 09 2024 22:40 Mizenhauer wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 09 2024 21:04 WombaT wrote:
On June 09 2024 11:07 goldensail wrote:
On June 04 2024 01:39 Mizenhauer wrote:
On June 04 2024 01:31 goldensail wrote:
I don't remember if it was this topic or the Addendum topic where I made the statement that IMO, if Serral had played Terran, he would be behind Maru, Inno, Clem, and a few others. This pissed off some people, who either said I was absurd or baseless. I admit I had no evidence, and it was little more than a hunch.

Lo and behold I just came across this video of Serral playing Terran against a nobody Zerg in a Finnish contest. I'll let you watch the series and draw your own conclusion on whether my hunch is justified. Remember this happened around end of '18 when Serral was already placed on a pedestal by many.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSrrS2tFi90&t=2108s


This is dumb.

A) You can't take offracing seriously. They invest thousands of hours into the race they play and let the other two atrophy.

B) Back when soO was 6.6k (2017) he was between 5.8 and and 5.5 as Terran on the KR Server. This is a case by case basis type deal.

C) He'll forever be the first foreigner to win Blizzcon butm as for his actual tournament resume goes, he was nowhere near the most decorated player in the world/SC2 history.

D) You just outed yourself, dude. Did you actually refer to (Z)ZhuGeLiang a random Zerg nobody? When did you start following SC2 and, do you only watch Serral matches?


I started watching SC2 with a caster named HDStarcraft, he was one of the pioneers in this space and some of the readers probably remember him.

I'm aware that Zhugeliang is one of the best players in Finland but that's not saying a whole lot. I was probably too harsh to call him "nobody", but if you watched the series it should be obvious that he played poorly.

I acknowledge that Serral offracing in Terran is not the same as playing Terran full time. However:
1) Serral clearly felt confident enough about playing Terran that he chose to use it in a tournament
2) it wasn't just his micro that's mediocre, but also his multi-tasking. The latter is a transferrable skill between races.

We'll never really know how good Serral would've become as Terran, but his performance in this series indirectly supports my original opinion that he wouldn't be as good as Maru, Inno, etc. if he had chosen to play this race. Is it proof? No. But to say he would've become one of the best Terrans is a baseless conjecture.

Again, I know I read somewhere that Serral orginally played Terran but later switched to Zerg. I can't find the source now. I hope someone with actual knowledge of this can confirm or disaffirm.

And how many Terrans would have similar results with races with far less micro potential?

Players either pick a race they find cool and gradually morph to it, or a race that suits how they wanna play and suits them. There are probably exceptions who play the ‘wrong race’ to be fair but generally.

The whole point is that the races are different anyway. That’s why StarCraft was so successful in the first place.

Will a top player who’d played another race for years be 100% equivalent to their current form in our reality? Not necessarily, of course, but they’ll likely be somewhere in the ballpark. Hell some may actually do better as per my previous.

It’s typical Terran master race to only apply this in one direction. Plenty of Terrans have fantastic micro and macro and just bludgeon their opponents with it. This isn’t something you can do so much with the other two, especially not Protoss.

Clem with his current skill set in this timeline clearly has a game suited to his chosen race, as does Serral for his. But I somewhat doubt that if you swapped their races around back in 2012 or whenever, they wouldn’t be competitive players now.


Serral as a Heart of the Swarm Protoss would have been disgusting.


Nothing would have made the game worse for me in HotS than if there was a version of Lilbow that was good.
The time that we kill keeps us alive
Mizenhauer
Profile Blog Joined February 2015
United States1967 Posts
June 10 2024 11:52 GMT
#997
On June 10 2024 19:53 Ciaus237 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 09 2024 22:40 Mizenhauer wrote:
On June 09 2024 21:04 WombaT wrote:
On June 09 2024 11:07 goldensail wrote:
On June 04 2024 01:39 Mizenhauer wrote:
On June 04 2024 01:31 goldensail wrote:
I don't remember if it was this topic or the Addendum topic where I made the statement that IMO, if Serral had played Terran, he would be behind Maru, Inno, Clem, and a few others. This pissed off some people, who either said I was absurd or baseless. I admit I had no evidence, and it was little more than a hunch.

Lo and behold I just came across this video of Serral playing Terran against a nobody Zerg in a Finnish contest. I'll let you watch the series and draw your own conclusion on whether my hunch is justified. Remember this happened around end of '18 when Serral was already placed on a pedestal by many.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSrrS2tFi90&t=2108s


This is dumb.

A) You can't take offracing seriously. They invest thousands of hours into the race they play and let the other two atrophy.

B) Back when soO was 6.6k (2017) he was between 5.8 and and 5.5 as Terran on the KR Server. This is a case by case basis type deal.

C) He'll forever be the first foreigner to win Blizzcon butm as for his actual tournament resume goes, he was nowhere near the most decorated player in the world/SC2 history.

D) You just outed yourself, dude. Did you actually refer to (Z)ZhuGeLiang a random Zerg nobody? When did you start following SC2 and, do you only watch Serral matches?


I started watching SC2 with a caster named HDStarcraft, he was one of the pioneers in this space and some of the readers probably remember him.

I'm aware that Zhugeliang is one of the best players in Finland but that's not saying a whole lot. I was probably too harsh to call him "nobody", but if you watched the series it should be obvious that he played poorly.

I acknowledge that Serral offracing in Terran is not the same as playing Terran full time. However:
1) Serral clearly felt confident enough about playing Terran that he chose to use it in a tournament
2) it wasn't just his micro that's mediocre, but also his multi-tasking. The latter is a transferrable skill between races.

We'll never really know how good Serral would've become as Terran, but his performance in this series indirectly supports my original opinion that he wouldn't be as good as Maru, Inno, etc. if he had chosen to play this race. Is it proof? No. But to say he would've become one of the best Terrans is a baseless conjecture.

Again, I know I read somewhere that Serral orginally played Terran but later switched to Zerg. I can't find the source now. I hope someone with actual knowledge of this can confirm or disaffirm.

And how many Terrans would have similar results with races with far less micro potential?

Players either pick a race they find cool and gradually morph to it, or a race that suits how they wanna play and suits them. There are probably exceptions who play the ‘wrong race’ to be fair but generally.

The whole point is that the races are different anyway. That’s why StarCraft was so successful in the first place.

Will a top player who’d played another race for years be 100% equivalent to their current form in our reality? Not necessarily, of course, but they’ll likely be somewhere in the ballpark. Hell some may actually do better as per my previous.

It’s typical Terran master race to only apply this in one direction. Plenty of Terrans have fantastic micro and macro and just bludgeon their opponents with it. This isn’t something you can do so much with the other two, especially not Protoss.

Clem with his current skill set in this timeline clearly has a game suited to his chosen race, as does Serral for his. But I somewhat doubt that if you swapped their races around back in 2012 or whenever, they wouldn’t be competitive players now.


Serral as a Heart of the Swarm Protoss would have been disgusting.


Nothing would have made the game worse for me in HotS than if there was a version of Lilbow that was good.


I think it's reasonable to assume that Serral could have been a better version of Rain—which is remarkable given Rain was one of the only two players to Win 2 KIL and reach a third final (Inno is the other) during Hots.

If everything lined up for Serral in this type of scenario he might have been in the top 2 goat argument as early as 2017 (subbing in for Inno in the Inno/Mvp debate) or even the undisputed Goat at that time.
┗|∵|┓Second Place in LB 28, Third Place in LB 29 and Destined to Be a Kong
Furaijin
Profile Joined May 2024
5 Posts
Last Edited: 2024-06-10 19:57:11
June 10 2024 19:56 GMT
#998
After Serral getting the official GOAT trophy and 4:0 -ing Maru once again; wasnt even close btw.. just like last time... shouldnt this post u know... not be here xDDDDDD
MJG
Profile Joined May 2018
United Kingdom1451 Posts
Last Edited: 2024-06-11 06:07:28
June 11 2024 06:06 GMT
#999
On June 11 2024 04:56 Furaijin wrote:
After Serral getting the official GOAT trophy and 4:0 -ing Maru once again; wasnt even close btw.. just like last time... shouldnt this post u know... not be here xDDDDDD

It's almost as if different people can have different opinions on the same subjective topic.

ESL going out of their way to push their opinion doesn't make it anymore fact than if I were to pick a name out of a hat.
puking up frothing vitriolic sarcastic spittle
Poopi
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
France13022 Posts
June 11 2024 06:47 GMT
#1000
On June 11 2024 04:56 Furaijin wrote:
After Serral getting the official GOAT trophy and 4:0 -ing Maru once again; wasnt even close btw.. just like last time... shouldnt this post u know... not be here xDDDDDD

What official goat trophy are you talking about?
WriterMaru
Prev 1 48 49 50 51 52 87 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL: Ladder Tournament
04:00
#2 - $100
ZZZero.O29
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
JuggernautJason119
Railgan 60
SpeCial 32
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 16246
Dewaltoss 144
Hyuk 113
firebathero 99
ZZZero.O 29
Terrorterran 20
Mini 19
Dota 2
febbydoto28
League of Legends
Doublelift3024
Counter-Strike
Fnx 905
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5562
crisheroes894
Other Games
summit1g5708
FrodaN2606
fl0m892
Beastyqt873
mouzStarbuck441
KnowMe308
ArmadaUGS133
ToD118
Mew2King47
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1191
BasetradeTV192
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream66
[ Show 17 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• printf 93
• Adnapsc2 24
• musti20045 4
• Letter143
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 45
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 11589
Other Games
• imaqtpie848
• Shiphtur223
• tFFMrPink 15
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
13h 13m
INu's Battles
15h 13m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
18h 13m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
22h 13m
BSL Open Qualifier
22h 13m
Replay Cast
1d 2h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 13h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 14h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 19h
Replay Cast
2 days
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
6 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.