• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:44
CEST 16:44
KST 23:44
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
[Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7984 users

Training schedule for a new player. Help! - Page 2

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 All
nanaoei
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
3358 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-05-11 04:51:59
May 11 2019 04:35 GMT
#21
On May 11 2019 11:13 hyperion82 wrote:
Thank you guys for your help!

nanaoei that is very important information, thank you I really need that. Btw, I main Terran (as all new players I believe do), for alt I play mostly Zerg than Protoss, and Random, all in Silver 2..the reason I already started to alt the other 2 races this early, other than just trying them out, is so I can learn the cons and pros of each race so I know what to look for while maining the Terran race, but I do enjoy Zerg and Protoss as much, and I believe I will enjoy them much more in the future when I will start playing much more seriously with them.

My opening, is 1-1-1, after that it always depends on my opponent I will add 2 more rax for 3-1-1 or 2 factories 1-3-1...but I usually go bio 3-1-1...I never go Sky, no need... I believe I need to master my macro first in order for my economy to support the expensive Sky...and/or Mech.. so I prefer Bio atm which is quite effective at all times.....for Zerg I play Roach/Hydras, nothing else above it, probably just to decisively end the game I would make 7-8 BroodLords along with my Roach/Hydra army....for Protoss I haven't decided yet.

I am not afraid to switch tech when I need to. When my income is high and I need to spend a lot while in the end game if it takes long, I'll probably switch from Bio and pop 10-15 more factories and go Hellbat/Thors :D

Most of my games here in Silver, are cheeses. Like 9 out of 10 games the opponent will cheese - probably they want to get higher up the ladder quickly like this. I do not cheese, I m trying learn the game normaly, because I do not believe cheeses are so effective in high level play against more experienced palyers...and I do not want to cheese otherwise I will not learn how to play my main race and try different approaches. But 9 out of 10 these games while countering the cheese, will get me off my original build order....fortunately these games end quickly.

I watch all of my replays, win or loss..I watch them open map "everyone", from my point of view, and from the opponent's point of view. I analyze them, and I do spot mistakes even in my winning ones, and I make sure I don't do them on my next game.


okay!
i'll stop you at the moment right before you say 3-1-1. first of all, it's nice that you know what you're doing with your production to be able to say those numbers.
in standard and low league plays (i've played many of these players over the years who stemmed over to 2v2 divisions) i know that having more barracks and more units feels much better. opponents tend to attack with everything they've got.
it's good to adjust and secure a clear advantage.
i'll set that aside for a second though.

if you want to learn proper play, you never really have to deviate from 1-1-1. from that build, you:
- start walling natural with depots
- 3rd CC as part of wall
- add 2 rax
- add 2 engi around 5:00 i'll say, give or take. we'll keep it simple.
that should be your goal. note the most important bit if that ordering is the 3rd CC is before the 2 additional rax.
i won't go into too much detail but this is the difference between capping out on workers at 8 minutes vs. 7 minutes.
being under pressure vs placing pressure and taking it off yourself.
if you're getting cheesed, 2 rax before 3rd CC, or make banshees or a early bunker. but the idea remains, the 3rd CC is a top priority in all cases.

watch one replay of another player doing this and mark down their timings. these are the things you aim for if you have no other goals.
- at what time do they cap out workers on all 3 bases? what's their supply count at this point?
- when does stim, +1/+1 finish? (i'll give you a hint, usually at the same time).
- nitty gritty details like, "how long can i stay on the map before zergling speed?" are things you can solve by booting up an AI game and testing once. a 2 base zerg plants a pool at ~17/18 supply with gas. the pool finishes at 2:10ish, zergling speed takes about 1:20. therefore, you pull your units back to safety before 3:30 when facing a hatch-gas-pool zerg.
you get the idea. these are the things you strive for if you want to improve notably quickly.

for the rest of your post, you're doing the thing about talking about the games too much. i understand where you're coming from and that i sound dismissive.
this is coming from a place where i believe after 10+ years of starcraft that practicing basics converts into better freestyle play.
there are people who freestyle from the very beginning and have success. i'll put that out there, but nobody can truthfully agree that freestyle is more consistent than being structured and methodical.
you priority #1 at improving the fastest way you can, is being able to nail all goals, which means you are able to play exactly how you want. like being able to move however you want as an athlete.
if you can't fully take advantage of being untouched in the first 7 minutes of the game, that has a cascading effect for how you can take advantage of any macro situation in the game.

so i'd make it one of your longterm goals to be able to do a 1-1-1 -> 3-1-1 -> 5-1-1 with upgrades rolling. (stim, +1, combat shields).
2 tanks, fully saturated on workers (63. 16 each mineral field = 48, remaining 15 comes from 5 gas x 3 workers ea.) by 7:30 if not better.
that's the goal. it's to not miss on one of those details. when you have tanks and combat shields, you can move out and attack with all you've got.
*@boesthius' FF7 nostalgia stream bomb* "we should work on a 'Final Progamer' fangame»whitera can be a protagonist---lastlie: "we save world and then defense it"
Chronopolis
Profile Joined April 2009
Canada1484 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-05-11 10:30:28
May 11 2019 10:27 GMT
#22
On May 11 2019 00:27 Orlok wrote:
For me, when I first did it, since I also had no previous RTS experience, I took baby steps.
First, I learnt 1 base cheese and builds and practiced that to around silver.
From silver, I learnt 2 base builds and practiced off the back of those, mixing them with 1 base all ins as well.
From gold, I tried macro, and I got hammered at first so many times, but managed to slowly but surely get a feel for it, and it was from this point I really looked at pro builds and how to use them macro wise.


This. Pick things to practice/learn/fix one thing at a time. Everyone seems to encourage people to macro-bot their way to diamond, but honestly there is a lot of knowledge/skills to learn on the way. That being said, macro is huge.

If you need to practice a complicated thing (even a build is a complicated), break it down until the parts are simple to you, then practice those.

Mass games will not help you improve fundementally, and too much can even harm your development by promoting an autopilot mindset. Practice and learning RTS knowledge is a skill in itself, after you do it a while, you will wonder why you ever used to just pure mass games.

hyperion82
Profile Joined May 2019
5 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-05-11 13:43:35
May 11 2019 12:35 GMT
#23
Thank you nanaoei and Chronopolis,

nanaoei, you are right, my mind is mostly going into freestyle play..I got so much info in my head since I started playing, and I get confused myself while playing.. I tried to learn too fast while I still have gaps in my beginner basics..so I need to take some steps back, delete everything I know, and start from the basics and fill those gaps. See, the advice and info you shared to me, I cannot find it anywhere, not in streams/casts, not in beginner guides, no where... No one pointed me to the right direction. And I understand everything what you are saying, and I understand the numbers you are saying on both of your posts. So I will make it my goal to follow your advice to the line, and reach those goals you told me.

Chronopolis, yes, it seems that mass games didn't help me much, they mostly got me confused and tired, and low morale sicne half of those ton games were loses.. Since I started this thread, I switched into play 2-3 ranked games per day with big breaks in between, and spend sometime practicing in custom games or analyzing my replays...my mind is more clear than playing 14 hours straight.. and I can say I see there is a lot of improvement.

Washikie, funny to say I tried what you said, marines without upgrades, focus 100% on macro, create great economy..I tried in unranked, 8-0 so far. It's funny because goign 100% macro, it seems I have infinite resources and I can make infinite units (marines). And I never cared about any fights, I just "A" attacked from possible expansions all the way to the opponent's natural and main...I never looked at any fights..Funny to see how every opponent was destroyed running around trying to Micro the battle, and I didn't care, I was back with my SCVs creating new expansions and barracks..The power of macro! And I reached my 70 worker goal in 10 minutes.... but in 8!! and it can be better!
Doominator10
Profile Joined August 2012
United States515 Posts
May 17 2019 09:06 GMT
#24
Hey fam, been watching a ton of tournaments but just started playing again after what may be years. For conversation’s sake, how would y’all apply the advice in this thread for a Zerg player? My situation is a bit different since I’m already at a diamond level and peaked at masters at the start of lotv , just... rusty.
Your DOOM has arrived,,,, and is handing out cookies
Prev 1 2 All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Kung Fu Cup
20:00
Kung Fu Cup Weekly #26
IntoTheiNu 1092
RotterdaM631
SteadfastSC308
TKL 235
Rex126
CosmosSc2 39
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 631
SteadfastSC 308
TKL 235
Rex 126
ProTech106
CosmosSc2 39
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 44392
Calm 3459
Shuttle 2751
Jaedong 1839
Horang2 756
Mini 567
Rush 425
EffOrt 387
Soma 349
Soulkey 346
[ Show more ]
Stork 319
ZerO 248
Larva 239
BeSt 206
Snow 204
firebathero 121
Mong 119
Zeus 98
910 78
hero 74
Mind 72
sorry 68
Free 62
Sharp 49
Hyun 49
Shine 39
Shinee 37
PianO 34
ToSsGirL 29
Pusan 28
Terrorterran 23
JYJ 22
Sexy 20
Aegong 19
Bale 19
HiyA 18
Killer 17
scan(afreeca) 14
Rock 11
Hm[arnc] 10
Sacsri 8
Dota 2
Gorgc5357
Dendi1150
420jenkins87
Counter-Strike
fl0m2935
Fnx 624
x6flipin114
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King98
ChuDatz26
Other Games
singsing2185
hiko810
Liquid`RaSZi651
B2W.Neo393
crisheroes360
dupreeh286
ceh9252
DeMusliM212
Khaldor203
Livibee193
Pyrionflax176
Liquid`VortiX147
Hui .122
Trikslyr92
QueenE71
ZerO(Twitch)17
Organizations
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 323
Other Games
BasetradeTV228
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream32
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH241
• mYiSmile116
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV62
League of Legends
• Nemesis2132
• Jankos1661
• TFBlade624
Other Games
• Shiphtur551
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
1h 16m
The PondCast
19h 16m
INu's Battles
20h 16m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 7h
Replay Cast
1d 8h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
Patches Events
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.