• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:33
CEST 11:33
KST 18:33
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)
Tourneys
Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder BSL Season 23 Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10184 users

SC2 esports team members included in Blizzard layoffs - Pa…

Forum Index > SC2 General
115 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
DubiousC2
Profile Joined June 2016
129 Posts
February 15 2019 00:08 GMT
#81
This does not bode well at all for SC in 2020. I hope we can find some way to crowd fund sc2 events.
Manner MULE /dance
Carminedust
Profile Joined October 2014
487 Posts
February 15 2019 04:24 GMT
#82
*clears throat* Dead game

User was temp banned for this post.
Maybe was Zoun only Fan before he retired idk
Cyro
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom20344 Posts
February 15 2019 07:21 GMT
#83
WoW is a good example of why this shit happens. An MMO needs a lot of GM and CM staff. When your MMO slows down, those people can't be easily assigned to other projects in other genres.


WoW has actually been suffering recently from a lack of CM and GM staff. Communication to players has been pretty bad and if you put in a GM ticket, you didn't get a reply until the next day.
"oh my god my overclock... I got a single WHEA error on the 23rd hour, 9 minutes" -Belial88
Khalimaroth
Profile Joined September 2010
France71 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-02-15 08:27:12
February 15 2019 08:25 GMT
#84
On February 15 2019 02:48 Clonester wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 14 2019 23:52 Khalimaroth wrote:
The greed of the stockholder has no limit...


The stocks have just lost 50% of their value in the last year. Obviously the leadership is forced to something, when they have just cut the money of their stockholders in half.

Laying off major parts of your non developing teams might be the wrong way of "doing something". We will see in the future.

That laying off people is so easy in the US is not the fault of Activision. And with the current unemployment rate, these people should be able to find another job very soon.


The stocks fall since the blizzcon...
and you know what happens at the blizzcon...

We want the passionate Blizzard Back.
Trop'inzust
KelsierSC
Profile Blog Joined March 2013
United Kingdom10443 Posts
February 15 2019 09:31 GMT
#85
I think this gives a timely warning to current SC2 players, personalities and behind the scenes staff that they need to get out and pursue other options or at the least realise that SC2 wont be a career path and will be solely a hobby.
Many people have already branched out into other projects but this should tell them to put SC2 on the back burner so to speak and really focus on their next step, be that in esports or elsewhere.
From a personal perspective I don't ever have the time play games to a large extent and I get my fix by watching WCS or GSL. I'm taking this as a sign that it's time to move away from this and team liquid . Moving my free time to better options.
I'm obviously disappointed by activisions decision but it's dollar and cents right. I don't think blizzard made all great choices but the gaming industry has moved on and a hard-core RTS with limited cash grab opportunities just doesn't cut it in the current market.
SC2 was a great game that had it's time. I commend anyone who keeps working in the scene but at this point if it's not strictly a passion project it's a bad idea for anyone to put time or money into the scene.
Zerg for Life
Charoisaur
Profile Joined August 2014
Germany16101 Posts
February 15 2019 10:38 GMT
#86
On February 15 2019 18:31 KelsierSC wrote:
I think this gives a timely warning to current SC2 players, personalities and behind the scenes staff that they need to get out and pursue other options or at the least realise that SC2 wont be a career path and will be solely a hobby.
Many people have already branched out into other projects but this should tell them to put SC2 on the back burner so to speak and really focus on their next step, be that in esports or elsewhere.
From a personal perspective I don't ever have the time play games to a large extent and I get my fix by watching WCS or GSL. I'm taking this as a sign that it's time to move away from this and team liquid . Moving my free time to better options.
I'm obviously disappointed by activisions decision but it's dollar and cents right. I don't think blizzard made all great choices but the gaming industry has moved on and a hard-core RTS with limited cash grab opportunities just doesn't cut it in the current market.
SC2 was a great game that had it's time. I commend anyone who keeps working in the scene but at this point if it's not strictly a passion project it's a bad idea for anyone to put time or money into the scene.

this might make sense for sc2 personalities... But why would this matter to the average sc2 fan who plays ladder and watches tournaments? Do´you feel forced to move on because not enough other people enjoy RTS games???
Many of the coolest moments in sc2 happen due to worker harassment
Snakestyle11
Profile Joined December 2018
191 Posts
February 15 2019 11:10 GMT
#87
Has to sucks to be Serral.

If only he had a 2-3 more good years of good starcraft tournaments, he would be set for life with money really
KelsierSC
Profile Blog Joined March 2013
United Kingdom10443 Posts
February 15 2019 11:34 GMT
#88
On February 15 2019 19:38 Charoisaur wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 15 2019 18:31 KelsierSC wrote:
I think this gives a timely warning to current SC2 players, personalities and behind the scenes staff that they need to get out and pursue other options or at the least realise that SC2 wont be a career path and will be solely a hobby.
Many people have already branched out into other projects but this should tell them to put SC2 on the back burner so to speak and really focus on their next step, be that in esports or elsewhere.
From a personal perspective I don't ever have the time play games to a large extent and I get my fix by watching WCS or GSL. I'm taking this as a sign that it's time to move away from this and team liquid . Moving my free time to better options.
I'm obviously disappointed by activisions decision but it's dollar and cents right. I don't think blizzard made all great choices but the gaming industry has moved on and a hard-core RTS with limited cash grab opportunities just doesn't cut it in the current market.
SC2 was a great game that had it's time. I commend anyone who keeps working in the scene but at this point if it's not strictly a passion project it's a bad idea for anyone to put time or money into the scene.

this might make sense for sc2 personalities... But why would this matter to the average sc2 fan who plays ladder and watches tournaments? Do´you feel forced to move on because not enough other people enjoy RTS games???


I can't speak for the average SC2 fan,
I don't know where you got that question from but my personal motivation to move on is because in my limited free time I like watching studio broadcasts and offline tournaments with high production value and decent casters. These events will likely be gone soon and I don't want to continue investing time or emotion into something that will disappear.

I don't really have interest in someone solo casting games from their bedroom for a $50 tournament.

Zerg for Life
MockHamill
Profile Joined March 2010
Sweden1798 Posts
February 15 2019 11:36 GMT
#89
If SC2 e-sports dies, maybe they can start balance the game around normal ladder players instead of the top 0.01% of the playerbase.
HolydaKing
Profile Joined February 2010
21254 Posts
February 15 2019 11:39 GMT
#90
This news is obviously sad, but I have hopes SC2 Esports won't die before WC3 Esports does and while the later arguably only kinda lives in China, it's still not dead and with Wc3 Reforged could possibly get a bit bigger even. If the support from Blizzard gets reduced, hopefully China or something can save the day here too. For 2019 we are obviously fine it seems, and tbh I'm not too worried.
Shuffleblade
Profile Joined February 2012
Sweden1903 Posts
February 15 2019 11:45 GMT
#91
On February 15 2019 18:31 KelsierSC wrote:
I think this gives a timely warning to current SC2 players, personalities and behind the scenes staff that they need to get out and pursue other options or at the least realise that SC2 wont be a career path and will be solely a hobby.
Many people have already branched out into other projects but this should tell them to put SC2 on the back burner so to speak and really focus on their next step, be that in esports or elsewhere.
From a personal perspective I don't ever have the time play games to a large extent and I get my fix by watching WCS or GSL. I'm taking this as a sign that it's time to move away from this and team liquid . Moving my free time to better options.
I'm obviously disappointed by activisions decision but it's dollar and cents right. I don't think blizzard made all great choices but the gaming industry has moved on and a hard-core RTS with limited cash grab opportunities just doesn't cut it in the current market.
SC2 was a great game that had it's time. I commend anyone who keeps working in the scene but at this point if it's not strictly a passion project it's a bad idea for anyone to put time or money into the scene.

I understand where you are coming from and this does send a scary message.

There is however still a possbility that the opportunity RTS and the Starcraft franchise presents will be recognized. I mean strategically supporting SC2 in itself can be seen as a sound investment in a future game. Just like mobas and royale games have exploded a new RTS could do the same if timed correctly and with the right support and infrastructure. Just like how SC1 boosed SC2 and created hype through GSLs and kespas legacies as well as famous pros going from SC1->SC2 a SC3 could do the same.

Of course RTS has its challenges with going mainstream but seeing as the SC2 scene is growing right now I don't think its that far fetched to believe that gamers eventually will want something different compared to what they are getting right now.

The one failure Blizzard did with SC2 was how they failed to put in place any good way to get money after the initival game and expansion purchases. If they had integrated it as well as league or fortnite has SC2 would be a huge financial success. In that world SC2 would probably be a lot bigger still today since Blizzard would have stronget incentives to invest even more in the scene than they have.

Just saying that if companies are chasing the smash successes of fortnite they need to do something new and they need to do it with the right infrastructure and timing in mind. Starcraft 3 could possibly explode to the same success.

I wouldn't be surprised if few people believe that but let me tell you that if I would have said that DOTA have the potential to create one of the most popular and mainstream games genres in the world early on when it was a wc3 mod literally everyone would laugh at me. Just because you don't believe doesn't mean its not possible
Maru, Bomber, TY, Dear, Classic, DeParture and Rogue!
Rob-Zero
Profile Joined January 2011
Germany460 Posts
February 15 2019 11:57 GMT
#92
On February 15 2019 20:34 KelsierSC wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 15 2019 19:38 Charoisaur wrote:
On February 15 2019 18:31 KelsierSC wrote:
I think this gives a timely warning to current SC2 players, personalities and behind the scenes staff that they need to get out and pursue other options or at the least realise that SC2 wont be a career path and will be solely a hobby.
Many people have already branched out into other projects but this should tell them to put SC2 on the back burner so to speak and really focus on their next step, be that in esports or elsewhere.
From a personal perspective I don't ever have the time play games to a large extent and I get my fix by watching WCS or GSL. I'm taking this as a sign that it's time to move away from this and team liquid . Moving my free time to better options.
I'm obviously disappointed by activisions decision but it's dollar and cents right. I don't think blizzard made all great choices but the gaming industry has moved on and a hard-core RTS with limited cash grab opportunities just doesn't cut it in the current market.
SC2 was a great game that had it's time. I commend anyone who keeps working in the scene but at this point if it's not strictly a passion project it's a bad idea for anyone to put time or money into the scene.

this might make sense for sc2 personalities... But why would this matter to the average sc2 fan who plays ladder and watches tournaments? Do´you feel forced to move on because not enough other people enjoy RTS games???


I can't speak for the average SC2 fan,
I don't know where you got that question from but my personal motivation to move on is because in my limited free time I like watching studio broadcasts and offline tournaments with high production value and decent casters. These events will likely be gone soon and I don't want to continue investing time or emotion into something that will disappear.

I don't really have interest in someone solo casting games from their bedroom for a $50 tournament.



Of course you are free to do whatever you like to, but I have the feeling you overreact a bit here. We have at least one more year of Sc2, and after 2018 this coming year could very well be an exciting one. If every Sc2 fan moves on to another hobby now, then it will surely be the last year. Of course it will at one point disappear, but that was clear from the beginning, so I don´t understand why you got involved in it in the first place? I hope you put another thought in it and find a way to enjoy the scene as long as it lasts, because it really is a lot of fun, in my eyes at least. And after all there was no announcement on ATVI dropping Sc2 or anything like that.
Dark Age of Camelot - I miss you
Luolis
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
Finland7196 Posts
February 15 2019 15:08 GMT
#93
On February 15 2019 20:36 MockHamill wrote:
If SC2 e-sports dies, maybe they can start balance the game around normal ladder players instead of the top 0.01% of the playerbase.

It's not Blizzard's fault you're not very good :D
pro cheese woman / Its never Sunny in Finland. Perkele / FinnishStarcraftTrivia
Nakajin
Profile Blog Joined September 2014
Canada8991 Posts
February 15 2019 15:36 GMT
#94
On February 15 2019 20:36 MockHamill wrote:
If SC2 e-sports dies, maybe they can start balance the game around normal ladder players instead of the top 0.01% of the playerbase.


Who's that?
Silver? Diamond? Master?
Because tanks are OP in Silver, storm is OP in diamond and I imagine things like liberator or BL are OP in Master. Better to balance at the top then at a random skill level where balance dosen't really matter anyway because we know you can beat everyone at your level 95% of the time if your just a bit better.
Writerhttp://i.imgur.com/9p6ufcB.jpg
TelecoM
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United States10864 Posts
February 15 2019 16:34 GMT
#95
Damn, this sucks.
AKA: TelecoM[WHITE] Protoss fighting
Geo.Rion
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
7377 Posts
February 15 2019 16:54 GMT
#96
Man, watching Artosis and Incontrol talk about this was hearth-wrenching. I never heard of either of those 2 Blizz people directly, but understood from that how important they were for the scene.

It really sucks, and not because I wont have what to watch, I'll be just fine, but those people whom i respect a lot committed their lives to this, and now they're gonna live the next year or so in complete uncertainty or start looking for other career options.

Right now you simply cannot plan medium to long term with professional SC2 in your mind. 2019 is kinda set, and who the hell knows what comes next, maybe they allocate some more funds, maybe they cut it down to just about 0.

If you're young and winning money from tournaments, that's great, worst come to worst, you start / go back to college next year, and if not you can continue.
"Protoss is a joke" Liquid`Jinro Okt.1. 2011
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-02-15 19:35:47
February 15 2019 19:03 GMT
#97
Given that Activision has wanted to get more control of Blizzard for years, this is a sad day for SC2 and Starcraft events in general. The focus going forward is going to be putting out new products as often as possible and leaving old ones behind. The Blizzard that patch D2 for over a decade won’t come back.

And a lot of folks are trying to justify this as belt tightening and increasing profits and so on. Remember that Activision is the company that chased out the founders of Infinity Wars in dramatic fashion, escorting them from the building and so on. The creators of this little game called Call of Duty. These lay offs might be belt tightening, but don’t take the Activision line that these are not development staff at face value. As so many developers have pointed out in recent days, many community managers work directly on the improvements the community suggest. The fact that it is so many senior memember is Blizzard says a lot about why the people were chosen to be laid off.

Edit: On one more note, there has been no official press release from Activision on these layoffs. The earnings call was the only place they have discussed is in any public fashion and that was to brag about their record earnings and pay out increase to share holders.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
RvB
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Netherlands6322 Posts
February 15 2019 19:46 GMT
#98
I'm not sure what kind of press release you expect. They missed their earnings forecast by a long shot, their cash flow got halved and in response they're restructuring. They're choosing to increase the amount of developers but will fire support staff and they announced this publicly with their results. There's not much more to it than to get the job done.
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-02-15 19:59:21
February 15 2019 19:56 GMT
#99
I’ve never seen a public facing company going through layoffs that didn’t have some sort of message for the press. It is strange to have nothing.

And from what I’ve read in the reporting, the people being laid off are not of the opinion that it is just support staff being let go. Most of them reported the choices seem random and don’t have any apparent logic or pattern.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
Sabu113
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States11110 Posts
February 15 2019 20:00 GMT
#100
Not good at all. I hope this means we'll still be able to see Artosis and tasteless viable in Korea and able to cast the ASL/KSL.
Biomine is a drunken chick who is on industrial strength amphetamines and would just grab your dick and jerk it as hard and violently as she could while screaming 'OMG FUCK ME', because she saw it in a Sasha Grey video ...-Wombat_Ni
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 27m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 6535
Horang2 543
Hyuk 420
BeSt 338
Killer 106
Stork 103
Hyun 83
sorry 79
ggaemo 75
Shinee 75
[ Show more ]
Snow 59
Bonyth 52
Hm[arnc] 40
Bale 35
JYJ 24
Pusan 21
Noble 8
League of Legends
JimRising 493
Other Games
gofns31282
singsing1767
Mew2King76
ArmadaUGS66
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick702
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream141
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 61
• Adnapsc2 10
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Michael_bg 4
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2332
League of Legends
• Lourlo1387
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
27m
INu's Battles
2h 27m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
5h 27m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
9h 27m
BSL Open Qualifier
9h 27m
Replay Cast
13h 27m
Afreeca Starleague
1d
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 1h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 6h
Replay Cast
1d 13h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.