• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 17:55
CEST 23:55
KST 06:55
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site Bot on ladder BW General Discussion BSL Season 23
Tourneys
2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8449 users

Get to Know Your WCS Challengers: Semper

Forum Index > SC2 General
6 CommentsPost a Reply
Waxangel
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
United States33705 Posts
June 05 2017 19:27 GMT
#1
WCS Jönköping will welcome a new Challenger out of North America, the Canadian Terran (Wiki)Semper. As he manages a tough balancing act between academics and StarCraft II, Semper hopes to make his mark as a competitor in WCS.

*This interview has been edited and condensed.


[image loading]


Wax: To begin with, could you introduce yourself briefly, for people who aren't familiar with you?

Semper: I'm Semper, my friends call me Alex. You may notice my name (Alex Dimitriu) sounds a bit strange for a Canadian; that is because I was born in Romania, in a city called Botosani all the way up north of the country. My parents, my brother and I moved to Canada when I was nine-years-old, and that is where I was introduced to StarCraft 2 a couple of years later, when I was 15. I was introduced to it by my best friend, who had just bought the game when it was first released. I didn't immediately fall in love with the game, it took me until I watched GSL and saw Mvp dominate to do so. I just loved how crisp his builds were and how he controlled the game, which is why I stuck to Terran.

So it's my understanding you're going to school right now as well? How's that situation working out?

Yes, I study law at the University of Montreal, recent winners of CSL :D. I just finished my second year and I am overall pretty happy with how I've managed to balance studies and SC2. The first year was by far harder than the second one, as I was forced to take six classes for two semesters in a row. Trust me when I say that having six law classes in one semester is the equivalent of practicing six to eight hours of SC2 every day, and during the finals period, that bumps up to 12 to 14 hours a day. I was struggling with my grades and with keeping up in SC2.

During my second year, I took five classes then went down to four. I've had more time to practice SC and my grades have gotten better. I still don't have nearly as much time as a full-time progamer to commit to the game, but I can at least have the occasional good run. I'm also not taking any summer classes so I can focus on WCS while also relaxing for a bit.

I gotta ask, how do you balance those kind of priorities? Is it like "I need to study just hard enough to not fail, and then everything else goes to StarCraft"?

No, I would say it's something more like "how do I study enough to get A's while not failing in StarCraft?" School comes first to me during the school year, but if I don't keep trying to compete in SC2, I feel like something is missing in my life so I never fully took a break. The most time I've spent away from the game at a time is probably two weeks, during finals time. Since almost every final exam in my program is worth 70% of my final grade, I really can't afford to mess around. Of course, while I study I like to keep my girlfriend's stream on mute (she also plays Starcraft), or any Terran that I like. Watching ByuN destroy Zergs on ladder boosts my studying for sure

The thing is, there's someone who gives you a concrete letter grade in school, which you can measure yourself by. I guess there's ladder MMR in StarCraft, but it's not quite the same. Was there ever a time you felt like you got an "F" at StarCraft, and felt like you really had to get that grade up?

Yeah, plenty of times. StarCraft is a game that can make you feel like you're on top of the world one day, and like you're completely worthless the next day. Finishing 5-8th at Cheesadelphia, where I was one of the favorites to win the tournament, or at the very least make it to the final, was definitely a moment where I felt like I got an "F". The same weekend as that tournament happened, I played Neeb in the quarter-finals of Nation Wars 4 and I threw away a pretty significant lead in a game that I wanted to win very badly. Those days are always really hard to handle but learning from those losses and getting over them quickly is very important and that's when I feel like I have to get my "grade up".

I remember talking to Polt a while back, during a period where he was a full-time student in the US before he got his athlete visa. When I asked him how he managed to go to class while winning WCS America, he said something like "don't sleep." Can you relate to that?

I actually wish I was able to skip sleep and still go through my day normally. Unfortunately, lack of sleep and playing well or studying efficiently don't go together for me. If I don't sleep at least six hours per night (but really, I need eight), I feel slow and grumpy all day long, to the point where skipping on sleep ends up wasting my time in terms of efficiency. Playing StarCraft while tired never works out for me. My macro slips up, my micro consists of me move commanding units into my enemy and it feels like my eyes can't stick to the screen while I play. If I study while tired, I have to re-read paragraphs two or three times before I understand what was said. Personally, I need my sleep, then I need to get school work done as fast as possible so I can get it off my mind. Then I can play some StarCraft and have one or two hours at the end of the day to hang out with my girlfriend and/or my friends and play some Overwatch or other relaxing games.

What kind of goals do you have for yourself at the top-tier foreigner level, beyond the regional tournaments in the northeast? Was getting the Jönköping spot a surprise, or something you feel like you should have achieved?

I feel like I'm in a privileged spot in some ways because I am doing quite well in school so I am in no way "all in" on StarCraft. Thus, I feel little pressure to get incredible results on a consistent basis. I am still a competitor, and I want to win tournaments very badly, but I think that being a full time progamer without a backup plan would be too much pressure for me to handle. I don't think I'll ever go that route unless some weird circumstances take me there.

For Jönköping, I was actually pretty confident going into the final qualifier. I am the type of player that takes nothing for granted, so even if I was 400 MMR above the top-eight threshold before the final day, I was still worried that I might somehow mess it up so I tried my hardest to win every game. I ended up finishing first in the NA rankings and even though the highest tier players decided to skip the ladder qualifiers, it gave me a good amount of confidence. After seeing that I had to play MaSa for the spot in Sweden, I was not very happy. If you look at our Aligulac, I think I was 0-13 in series against him before our match, and I had a pretty solid mental block against him. But somehow, I managed to forget the past before our series and I managed to win after an exhausting two-hour series.

So what are you looking to get out of Jönköping? Trying to place as high as possible? Or just getting more experience playing in high-stakes matches against top players?

For someone that hasn't traveled much, I find it funny that I've already been to Jönköping for Dreamhack winter in 2015 (if I remember correctly). I've gotten lost in the city, I had trouble finding my way back to the hotel after the Twitch afterparty, thus I have my fair share of experience getting around the city, which can be pretty convenient. So I'm not just going there to visit the place, I want to do well and I will prepare as much as I can. Since I don't know who I'll be playing against, I have to be ready to play any matchup. I know I will most likely be an underdog, but I have a good amount of experience playing from that position. I am excited to play on a big stage again.

Hypothetically, if you had been given the time and opportunity, do you feel like you would have given full-time pro SC2 a shot? Like, for instance, if you had already started to be a high-level player in 2011.

Yes. I remember thinking back in 2011 that I would love to take a break from school just to try to play the game competitively for a while. But it took me a long time to progress to anywhere near the pro level and once I got into college, I decided that full-time pro SC2 is off the table unless something drastic happens. The landscape of SC2 has significantly changed since 2011. The game is no longer in it's "golden era" and I felt demotivated for a while, but 2017 has been a good year for me so far and I don't even think about what could have been. I feel quite motivated and I enjoy playing the game. I do sometimes get jealous of players that made the decision to go full-time and enjoy success while doing it, especially when school takes up most of my time!

Oh, I forgot to ask you about how you came up with your ID

Oh man, I was expecting that one and my answer is really simple!

When I was younger, I was playing mostly FPS games. My favorite game at the time was called Return to Castle Wolfenstein and I enjoyed Call of Duty 4. My favorite style of play in those games was to try to be more sneaky than most people, taking enemies by surprise, so I came up with my original name: Secret. However, after transitioning into SC2, Secret didn't feel like the right name for me and I remember seeing other players having the same name as me and I got asked if I was a fan of the K-pop band Secret, back when GSL used to have K-pop bands perform live. I got tired of having what felt like an overused name, so I decided I needed a change.

One day, I put on one my favorite shirts at the time, which had "Semper" written on it in a cool looking font. I thought "Semper" sounded well, it was easy to pronounce and easy on the eyes. On top of that, it means "always" in latin and I like that word. Since then, it's been my username! Unfortunately, having gone through many washing machine cycles, the word "Semper" on the shirt is no longer recognizable. I'm washed up Kappa

Alright, let's do our famous pirate question! I just call it famous because if I keep saying it, maybe it will actually become famous. If your loved ones were kidnapped by pirates, and you could only try to rescue them with a crew of three other SC2 players, who would you pick and why?

I would probably get one of each race, so we can fight about balance even after it doesn't matter at all whether the game is balanced or not. Gotta keep yourself entertained somehow. My Terran pick is easy since every Terran is experienced with having to overcome difficult situations, like the Blink era, or Phoenix-Adept. Since I can only pick one, I'll go with uThermal since he is usually the best foreign Terran and Starcraft skills obviously translate into survival / rescue skills. I just hope he doesn't uninstall on me

For Zerg, I would pick Cham because he often delays practice with me to go to the gym so he's obviously very strong by now. Maybe I would send him undercover as a pirate. He's a likable guy so I feel like they would at least consider him legit long enough for us to swoop in and rescue my loved ones.

For Protoss, I would pick Zest because his good looks could distract the pirates long enough that we can take them out swiftly. Communication with him might be an issue, but he doesn't need to say much anyway.

I feel like this rescue mission won't be as hard as it seems.

Okay, thanks for your time! Let's wrap up with any shoutouts, comments, or things you wanna say.

Shoutout to my team ROOT and my teammates for helping me improve and providing a nice environment to be in. Thanks to my girlfriend - Poizon - for helping me keep calm during tough series (something I need to work on)! Thanks to everyone still watching and supporting SC2, the support tweets after getting a good result are always motivating :D.


Watch how Semper's tense series against Masa to decide who would qualify for WCS Jönköping



You can follow Semper on Twitter at @ROOTSemper, and you can find his competitive statistics on Aligulac.com.


You can read more interviews with the WCS Challengers who will compete at WCS Jönköping during June 17-19!
  • Seither
  • iaguz
  • Namshar
  • JonSnow
  • Winter
  • Semper
  • Serral
More interviews are coming soon™
Facebook Twitter Reddit
AdministratorHey HP can you redo everything youve ever done because i have a small complaint?
Aeromi
Profile Blog Joined August 2012
France14463 Posts
June 05 2017 19:47 GMT
#2
Semper is a great guy, I'm really happy to see him getting better and better.
https://twitter.com/DrAeromi | Updates on live tournaments: @StarCrafteSport
PvP
Profile Joined October 2011
Canada78 Posts
June 05 2017 20:54 GMT
#3
Legend in the making. Comeback King.
www.GosuPvP.com - www.twitch.tv/Gosu_PvP
Argonauta
Profile Joined July 2016
Spain4967 Posts
June 05 2017 22:23 GMT
#4
I really enjoy those, nice work
Rogue | Maru | Scarlett | Trap
TL+ Member
Nakajin
Profile Blog Joined September 2014
Canada8991 Posts
June 05 2017 23:11 GMT
#5
L'UdeM won CSL!? That's so nice, there is more good sc2 player in MTL then I knew

Also good luck to Semper it would be nice to see him do well in WCS.
Writerhttp://i.imgur.com/9p6ufcB.jpg
PrAeToR.FeNiX
Profile Joined February 2010
Canada361 Posts
June 06 2017 17:44 GMT
#6
This guy is a boss. A Rekt machine
En taro Adun!
YamiRi
Profile Joined September 2015
152 Posts
June 07 2017 03:56 GMT
#7
the guy who even made Zest tried hard to remember his name for his revenge...
legend in making
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL: Ladder Tournament
04:00
#2 - $100
ZZZero.O129
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SpeCial 138
PiGStarcraft27
Nina 9
ViBE8
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 14577
Dewaltoss 136
ZZZero.O 129
firebathero 97
Hyuk 85
Terrorterran 21
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm77
febbydoto54
League of Legends
Doublelift3313
Counter-Strike
Fnx 782
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5825
Other Games
summit1g6871
FrodaN2333
fl0m804
mouzStarbuck369
KnowMe273
ToD233
ArmadaUGS156
JimRising 143
Mew2King45
Railgan31
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1161
BasetradeTV176
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream105
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 53
• musti20045 35
• Adnapsc2 15
• Letter147
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie837
• Shiphtur219
• tFFMrPink 15
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
12h 5m
INu's Battles
14h 5m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
17h 5m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
21h 5m
BSL Open Qualifier
21h 5m
Replay Cast
1d 1h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 12h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 13h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 18h
Replay Cast
2 days
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
6 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.