• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 22:58
CEST 04:58
KST 11:58
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site Bot on ladder BSL Season 23
Tourneys
2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8422 users

Get to Know Your WCS Challengers: Serral

Forum Index > SC2 General
9 CommentsPost a Reply
Waxangel
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
United States33705 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-06-06 20:23:18
June 06 2017 18:41 GMT
#1
(Wiki)Serral has been on a rampage, winning the European Challenger tournaments for both WCS Jönköping and WCS Valencia. One of the best European players without a major title, Serral will soon have back-to-back opportunities to rectify that situation. I talked to Serral about his place on top of the European scene, possibly going to Korea, and, uhh... golf.

*This interview has been edited and condensed.


Serral


Wax: First off, could you introduce yourself briefly? Although, I don't think you need much introduction nowadays.

Serral: Hello everyone, I'm a Finnish Zerg player. Yeah I think a lot of people know me nowadays, but I have actually been around from the beta, not just at the highest level.

How are you feeling these days? You've been absolutely destroying the WCS qualifiers, and it really looks like there's no one who can stand up to you in Europe.

I have been feeling extremely confident with my play lately, but I was still fairly surprised on how the last two Challengers went. I still wouldn't necessarily rank myself as the best European, as I have been struggling to performance on offline events. Hopefully this will chance at Jönköping and Valencia, though.

It feels like this thing has been been going on for several years now, where all the other progamers hype you up before tournaments. Has that put a lot of pressure on your shoulders?

Not really, I never feel too much pressure when I go to events. I'm not exactly nervous either, so I think my problem has been that I always do bad at one match up. The moment I manage to improve that one match up, I find myself losing in some other match up. But right now I'm actually doing pretty good in all match ups, even though my ZvT is slightly lagging behind.

Was that the problem back in Austin, when you went up against Special (MajOr)?

That was partly the problem for sure, I was struggling with Terran early-game. MajOr probably was better than me during Austin though, so I would have had a hard time even if my ZvT was stronger. MajOr also was better than most of the Terrans I got to practice and play against in Europe.

I've heard other people say that the small number of top-tier Terrans in Europe is a problem as well. Even beyond Jönköping and Valencia, do you think that's gonna be an issuein mixed region events like GSL vs World and BlizzCon?

Yes, that's going to be an issue. I personally think you need to go to Korea if you want to get success in tournaments where Koreans are present. This is why I'm thinking of going to Korea before Blizzcon if I manage to maintain top eight WCS spot. Then again Nerchio and Snute seem to excel at ZvT even though they did not go to Korea.

What do you think about the way Zerg has dominated two EU qualifiers in a row? Do you think there's a problem right now?

I think maps are the problem, at least for now the maps are quite good for Zerg. I don't think the game is too unbalanced otherwise. ZvP has come down to the point that it's mostly Hydra-Bane stuff, but I don't think that it's too overpowered. Issue there is, that if it comes to Protoss always defending these hydra bane builds, it's not too enjoyable.

At Austin, you seemed pretty hesitant to talk up your chances, even though all the other pros were naming you as one of the scariest players there. Given all the recent conditions—maps, your ability to play the various match-ups—do you think you're one of the favorites to win it at all Jonkoping and Valencia?

Actually at Austin, my goal was to win the whole thing and I think I had quite good chance there. But yeah at Jönköping and Valencia, I will have the same goal, but my chances are better for sure. That has to do with the maps, but also with my improvement. I think, it's fair to say that I'm one of the favorites based on the recent results.

You recently tweeted a graduation photo with fellow Finnish player Zhugeliang. What's the story behind that?

There isn't too much story behind the picture. My parents organized the graduation party and shared the invites, there were some people from Finnish esports and StarCraft scene. Zhugeliang actually wanted to take this picture and later pressured me to tweet it, as I don't tweet enough. But yeah I had the party on Saturday, so basically two parties for that day.

Is the Finnish scene generally close knit like that? I remember stuff like Elfi and the ENCE guys going for a swim in freezing water, things of that sort.

Yeah I think Finnish StarCraft scene is great, everyone knows each other and most of the people are in good relationships with other people. I guess that's what happens when you have a small scene. I have no clue what Elfi has done, but I wouldn't be too surprised.

What do you plan to do now that you've graduated? Will it effect your approach to StarCraft/progaming? Besides, giving you the time to potentially go to Korea, anyway.

My plan is to play full-time for the next year, which I have been basically doing since March when I finished my last exam. I haven’t really changed my approach too much, I still mainly just practice, but more. Being able to focus only on one thing instead of two has been extremely helpful.

Anything you want to take some time off to do, besides practicing at StarCraft? I dunno if graduation trips are common in Finland. Maybe after Valencia...

Well after the weather gets warmer, I’ll probably be going to summer cottage and play some golf. Outside that, I won’t be doing too much besides StarCraft. I travel enough, so no graduation trips for me.

Ever consider lining up a StarCraft trip and a golf trip? The USA has many fine courses.

Probably too fine for me :D. Well, I guess the problem is with transporting the equipment and playing alone is no fun.

Which way does that interaction work? Golf helps you relieve the stress of StarCraft, or StarCraft helps relieve the stress of golf? At least from the people I've seen, golf never seemed like the most 'leisurely' game.

Honestly, I never get too much stress from StarCraft during just a normal practice week. I guess golf works as a well-earned break kind of thing. I find one day or couple day breaks very effective to keep yourself motivated. And golf actually is extremely leisurely game if you play it that way.

Alright, it's time for our famous pirate question. Your loved ones have been kidnapped by pirates, and you can only recruit a squad of three StarCraft II players to go rescue them. Who do you pick, and why?

First of all you need strength, so Harstem and ShoWTimE as swordsmen. Then I would hire Nerchio as an archer and tactician due to his intelligence.

Any shoutouts, comments, or thing you wanna say to end?

Shoutouts to my fans and ENCE eSports for all the support I have gained.


If you're watching a major EU tournament, then there's a good chance you'll see Serral and ShoWTimE meet at the crossroads. For now, Serral has taken the upper hand, winning a 3-0 sweep in the Challenger tournament for WCS Jönköping.



You can follow Serral on Twitter at @ENCE_Serral, and you can find his competitive statistics on Aligulac.com.


You can read more interviews with the WCS Challengers who will compete at WCS Jönköping during June 17-19!
  • Seither
  • iaguz
  • Namshar
  • JonSnow
  • Winter
  • Semper
  • Serral
More interviews are coming soon™
Facebook Twitter Reddit
AdministratorHey HP can you redo everything youve ever done because i have a small complaint?
Azhrak
Profile Joined January 2011
Finland1198 Posts
June 06 2017 19:00 GMT
#2
Thanks for the interview!
starcraft2.fi
Gurbak
Profile Joined January 2017
France622 Posts
June 06 2017 19:08 GMT
#3
great interviews
D-light
Profile Joined April 2012
Finland7364 Posts
June 06 2017 19:10 GMT
#4
Nice. Possibly going to Korea seems interesting.
why even
rotta
Profile Joined December 2011
5653 Posts
June 06 2017 19:24 GMT
#5
Good stuff!

Code Serral inc
don't wall off against random
Nerchio
Profile Joined October 2009
Poland2633 Posts
June 06 2017 19:55 GMT
#6
Lol the pirate question, I can be a tactician no problem and pirates don't stand a chance.
Progamer"I am the best" - Nerchio , 2017.
ArtyK
Profile Joined June 2011
France3144 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-06-06 20:01:17
June 06 2017 19:59 GMT
#7
On June 07 2017 04:55 Nerchio wrote:
Lol the pirate question, I can be a tactician no problem and pirates don't stand a chance.


+directing 2 protosses as meat shields must be great


Needed an interview with Serral thx!
He's been dominating WCS just like neeb NA last year. If he can fix his offline issues he'll be a monster
Sup dood ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ KiWiKaKi | SLush | uThermal | PtitDrogo | SortOf | Clem ~ "I told my mom she should vote for me in Nation Wars, she said 'I dunno, I kinda want Finland to win'" – Luolis ~ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_NScWV9h8k#t=1h01m
TL+ Member
stardog
Profile Joined August 2011
556 Posts
June 06 2017 20:13 GMT
#8
On June 07 2017 04:55 Nerchio wrote:
Lol the pirate question, I can be a tactician no problem and pirates don't stand a chance.

But how is your archery?
Nerchio
Profile Joined October 2009
Poland2633 Posts
June 06 2017 20:19 GMT
#9
On June 07 2017 05:13 stardog wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 07 2017 04:55 Nerchio wrote:
Lol the pirate question, I can be a tactician no problem and pirates don't stand a chance.

But how is your archery?

I can definitely shoot an arrow to the knee
Progamer"I am the best" - Nerchio , 2017.
Marialauraaaa
Profile Joined February 2016
4 Posts
June 07 2017 11:41 GMT
#10
Nerchio is the new Hawkeye :D
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 7h 2m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 200
StarCraft: Brood War
Hyuk 532
NaDa 53
TT1 3
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm186
LuMiX0
Other Games
summit1g10181
JimRising 738
WinterStarcraft333
Mew2King97
ViBE89
ArmadaUGS43
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1374
BasetradeTV275
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream162
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 89
• davetesta43
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Rush648
• Lourlo425
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
7h 2m
INu's Battles
9h 2m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
12h 2m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
16h 2m
BSL Open Qualifier
16h 2m
Replay Cast
20h 2m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 7h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 8h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 13h
Replay Cast
1d 20h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.