• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:51
CEST 11:51
KST 18:51
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)64Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2314
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion BW General Discussion JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 11285 users

Get to Know Your WCS Challengers: JonSnow

Forum Index > SC2 General
10 CommentsPost a Reply
Waxangel
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
United States33705 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-06-02 18:32:56
June 02 2017 18:26 GMT
#1
It feels like just yesterday when TeamLiquid interviewed the sixteen-year-old (Wiki)JonSnow, an aspiring Zerg player who had made it into WCS America. Years later, he's a WCS Challenger once more, headed to
WCS Jönköping to try and top his RO16 finish at WCS Austin. I talked to JonSnow about StarCraft II, and which pro-players correspond best to characters in Game of Thrones.

*This interview has been edited and condensed.


JonSnow


Wax: Hello, again! Can you start off by introducing yourself for those who might not be so familiar with you? Try to do a better job than the last time, when you said "Hello, I'm Jarod. lol, sorry, lemme retype."

JonSnow: Okay here we go. Hello, I'm Jarod "JonSnow" George a 20 year old Zerg player from the United States, also known as the NA Zerg God.

How are you feeling about your ID choice, now that you're older? Do you ever regret it and think you should have chosen more wisely?

I've always liked it a bit, and Game of Thrones has gotten pretty popular with the TV show so I think it wasn't a terrible choice. It's probably better than any other name I would have picked when I was 14. I've always wanted to change to my rapper name Jweezy but I don't think the people are ready for it.

Is Jon Snow still your favorite character?

Of the main characters I think he definitely is. There are side characters like The Hound that I really enjoy too, but probably wouldn't make for a good ID.

So, for this next, awesome segment, I'm going to name a character from Game of Thrones/Song of Ice and Fire, and you're going tell me which progamer corresponds to that character best. You think you're ready for this challenge?

Born ready.

The Mountain

The mountain would be Showtime, a big scary EU Protoss that seems unfairly better than everyone.

Cersei Lannister

Cersei would be Naniwa since they both would do anything to win, and since Cersei is gonna get killed off this season, they will both be out of their respective scenes.

Sam Tarly

Sam would be TLO since he's not the best fighter but is smart and helps out Jon Snow.

Jon Snow

I guess in this universe JonSnow would be Snute since he's the one helped out by Sam, and is the good guy in the SC2 scene.

Tyrion Lannister

Tyrion would be Nerchio since all the Lannisters (Europeans) don't like him but he's still really clever, and he doesn't get a lot of credit for things.

Daenerys Targaryen

Daenerys would be PiliPili since they are both blond, and while Daenerys relies on her overpowered dragons to win, PiliPili relies on his Carriers.

Littlefinger

Littlefinger would be Bly since he's super sneaky and is the master of coin (online tournaments).

Arya Stark

Arya would be Kelazhur since she was sent to Braavos to train with the faceless men to become an assassin, while Kelagod was sent to Korea to train and has come back a foreigner assassin.

Damn, that's pretty solid. I originally thought you'd make the white walkers the Koreans, but now that you bring it up, the "faceless men" bit works really well. I have to wonder, why didn't you take Jon Snow for yourself though? Snute is too handsome and heroic?

I originally wanted to do someone that + Show Spoiler [Game of Thrones spoilers] +
retired and came back to the game
but couldn't think of someone. But yeah I don't think I've earned the right to be JonSnow yet, too handsome and hair too wavy.

Alright, let's talk about boring old StarCraft. I think we could say this has been your best competitive year, as far as Premier tournament placements go. How do you feel about placing well at WCS Austin, and earning the NA Challenger spot this time around? Was there any special impetus that made you a better player this year?

Yeah it's been pretty lit so far. I think I've just become a better tournament player over time, having confidence in my play and planning out series better. I also just found a way to not have much pressure on me in my matches. I think being in college at the same time takes a lot of the pressure off since it's not the end of the world if you don't qualify/lose early. You have to make sure you enjoy competing.

So all of these WCS main events—it's not a do or die thing. You're just appreciating having the opportunity, and you're happy with whatever result you get.

Yeah, it also feels like you can wait for your shot. Balance, bracket luck, and just how you're feeling on the day can play a big part on if you make it far or not.

You haven't to play a high-stakes, on-stage match yet, I think. You say you've learned to be a better tournament player, but do you think you're ready for that kind of pressure?

Yeah, I've played some matches on small stages on smaller LANs, but never to the scale of a WCS event. I definitely need more practice in that environment. Even vs Nerchio in the RO16 of WCS Austin (VOD), I lost my cool, and we were only being off-stage casted by BaseTradeTV.

Have you ever pulled a Nerchio and used your student status as a taunt or excuse?

Nah I think it's pretty BM to do that, but it is in the back of your mind sometimes when you're extra salty.

You should have beat Nerchio and done that to him.

Haha, Nerchio was actually very nice to me at Austin. Maybe he's a changed man.

I love Nerchio. He's the villain we deserve, but not the one we need right now, whatever that means. So, what are your thoughts headed into Jonkoping? Any personal goals? People you're interested in facing? People you're looking forward to hanging out with?

It's gonna be my first time in Europe so I'm excited for that. For a personal goal I'd really like to make RO16 again to show it wasn't a fluke at Austin, and then put up a better fight in the RO16. No people I particularly want to face, but it's gonna be cool seeing all the pros from Austin again; it's always cool to be around people so good at StarCraft. Nerchio and Neeb were fun to talk to, and people like Pili and Harstem are always having a good time.

Alright, here's our famous pirate question. If your loved ones were kidnapped by pirates, and you could only recruit three progamers to take with you on a rescue mission, who would you bring, and why?

I guess for the rescue mission I'd bring NoRegret since he would be the decoy and hopefully tank all the pirates for a while. I'd bring Pili since he was a boxer, and maybe he could knock some people out. Then I'd also bring Zest who hopefully can fight with his muscles. Then I'd rescue my love ones and leave the pros behind to sacrifice themselves so we could escape safely.

PiLiPiLi was a boxer, what the f***.

I think so or something like that.

Alright, any final comments, shoutouts, or things you wanna say?

Sure, shout out to PSISTORM Gaming for supporting me and shout out to Blizzard for running WCS =)


Make sure to check out how JonSnow gave Scarlett a lesson in Zerg vs Protoss balance during the WCS Austin Challenger tournament




You can follow JonSnow on Twitter at @JonSnowSC2, and you can find his competitive statistics on Aligulac.com.


You can read more interviews with the WCS Challengers who will compete at WCS Jönköping during June 17-19!
  • Seither
  • iaguz
  • Namshar
  • JonSnow
  • Winter
  • Semper
  • Serral
More interviews are coming soon™
Facebook Twitter Reddit
AdministratorHey HP can you redo everything youve ever done because i have a small complaint?
feardragon
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States973 Posts
June 02 2017 18:56 GMT
#2
JonSnow is savage, leaving the progamers that help him to die on the island.
Ok Starcraft 2 Commentator
Waxangel
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
United States33705 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-06-02 19:14:02
June 02 2017 19:13 GMT
#3
I still like Koreans as the White Walkers.

An unstoppable force that could destroy the entire world, but kept at bay by an arbitrary magic wall of COLD AND ICE
AdministratorHey HP can you redo everything youve ever done because i have a small complaint?
Freeedom
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States201 Posts
June 02 2017 19:47 GMT
#4
my God the reasoning for the players he chose for each of the characters were well thought out, especially love PiLi for Daenerys.
PSISTORM Gaming owner - twitter.com/karljayg - facebook.com/KJfreeedom
_Epi_
Profile Joined February 2014
Germany158 Posts
June 02 2017 19:55 GMT
#5
wtf that game of thrones spoiler *mad*
stardog
Profile Joined August 2011
556 Posts
June 02 2017 20:17 GMT
#6
those GoT answers were really solid, well done
Nakajin
Profile Blog Joined September 2014
Canada8991 Posts
June 02 2017 20:30 GMT
#7
TLO just destroyed Snute in the qualifier for Valencia - get ready for the ultimate twist, Sam becoming kin of the north
Writerhttp://i.imgur.com/9p6ufcB.jpg
Nerchio
Profile Joined October 2009
Poland2633 Posts
June 02 2017 20:30 GMT
#8
lol
Progamer"I am the best" - Nerchio , 2017.
PengWin_SC
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
Switzerland433 Posts
June 02 2017 21:45 GMT
#9
On June 03 2017 04:55 _Epi_ wrote:
wtf that game of thrones spoiler *mad*


If you mean Cersei being killed off, it's not a spoiler don't worry, the show is ahead of the books now and it hasn't happened in either, it's just Jonny speculating :D
Director of Operations for PSISTORM Gaming
D-light
Profile Joined April 2012
Finland7364 Posts
June 02 2017 21:46 GMT
#10
"You haven't to play a high-stakes..."

Pretty neat overall though.
why even
zealotstim
Profile Joined February 2015
United States455 Posts
June 02 2017 22:18 GMT
#11
On June 03 2017 04:13 Waxangel wrote:
I still like Koreans as the White Walkers.

An unstoppable force that could destroy the entire world, but kept at bay by an arbitrary magic wall of COLD AND ICE


hahahaha! perfect
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 10m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
OGKoka 212
ProTech22
StarCraft: Brood War
Mind 1182
Horang2 1128
Bisu 667
Larva 533
ggaemo 517
Leta 338
Stork 287
Hyuk 144
PianO 124
Sexy 88
[ Show more ]
EffOrt 76
Soma 56
Mini 48
Killer 37
Bale 24
Hm[arnc] 20
yabsab 19
ZerO 14
sorry 14
Dota 2
XcaliburYe368
XaKoH 241
League of Legends
JimRising 326
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1411
Other Games
gofns30340
singsing951
crisheroes157
Mew2King131
ArmadaUGS53
ZerO(Twitch)2
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick580
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream145
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 33
• LUISG 14
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 7207
• lizZardDota2295
League of Legends
• Jankos1162
• Stunt1087
Upcoming Events
CranKy Ducklings
10m
Online Event
1h 10m
FEL
6h 10m
AI Arena Tournament
7h 10m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
9h 10m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d
INu's Battles
1d 2h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 9h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 9h
Replay Cast
1d 14h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.