• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 07:47
CEST 13:47
KST 20:47
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup6StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10102 users

The Greatest Foreigners of All Time Part 1 - Page 9

Forum Index > SC2 General
252 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 7 8 9 10 11 13 Next All
Xoronius
Profile Joined July 2011
Germany6362 Posts
December 25 2015 20:47 GMT
#161
On December 26 2015 03:32 nimdil wrote:
4. IdrA - I feel he will land around here but I will always remember him because of this. EG lost any credibility in my eyes when they rehired him as HotS player.

If you remember him for getting fired and not for his actual results, why would you put him on nr.4?
OtherWorld
Profile Blog Joined October 2013
France17333 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-12-25 21:06:52
December 25 2015 21:06 GMT
#162
Typo on the TL.net front page, "forigners" instead of "foreigners" in the small preview box.
Other than that, well here's an article that will ignite passionate debates. Disappointed it isn't the top 15 greatest French players of all time though
Used Sigs - New Sigs - Cheap Sigs - Buy the Best Cheap Sig near You at www.cheapsigforsale.com
The_Templar
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
your Country52798 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-12-25 21:08:43
December 25 2015 21:08 GMT
#163
On December 26 2015 06:06 OtherWorld wrote:
Typo on the TL.net front page, "forigners" instead of "foreigners" in the small preview box.
Other than that, well here's an article that will ignite passionate debates. Disappointed it isn't the top 15 greatest French players of all time though

1. Stephano
2. FireCake
ModeratorI am still alive, somehow
TL+ Member
Dingodile
Profile Joined December 2011
4139 Posts
December 25 2015 21:19 GMT
#164
We need an article about top10 of most magnetic attraction foreigners.
Grubby | ToD | Moon | Lyn | Sky
jalstar
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States8198 Posts
December 25 2015 21:28 GMT
#165
What were the most impressive premier tournament wins by foreigners, in your memory? Mine were:

Stephano winning IPL 3 and NASL 3
Huk winning MLG Orlando
Naniwa winning the MLG Global Invitational
nimdil
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Poland3774 Posts
December 25 2015 21:31 GMT
#166
On December 26 2015 05:47 Xoronius wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 26 2015 03:32 nimdil wrote:
4. IdrA - I feel he will land around here but I will always remember him because of this. EG lost any credibility in my eyes when they rehired him as HotS player.

If you remember him for getting fired and not for his actual results, why would you put him on nr.4?

I remember his results and his strong play but I will always remember him for his awful behaviour.
jubil
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2602 Posts
December 25 2015 22:06 GMT
#167
On December 26 2015 06:28 jalstar wrote:
What were the most impressive premier tournament wins by foreigners, in your memory? Mine were:

Stephano winning IPL 3 and NASL 3
Huk winning MLG Orlando
Naniwa winning the MLG Global Invitational

The IPL3 win was not super impressive, imo, I was there. The top Koreans that were there choked HARD, Slayers brought their A squad, Boxer included, but Stephano never ran into them; his opponent in the finals was Lucky... (yeah...who?), and it was a boring steamroll (after a really long boring exhibition match of some MOBA I thought would never take off by the silly name of League of Legends...)

NASL I didn't watch so I don't know, but HuK's MLG win was pretty impressive, and I would add Thorzain taking down Polt at Dreamhack
Marineking-Polt-Maru-Fantasy-Solar-Xenocider-Suppy fighting!
DarkPlasmaBall
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States46484 Posts
December 25 2015 22:17 GMT
#168
On December 26 2015 07:06 jubil wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 26 2015 06:28 jalstar wrote:
What were the most impressive premier tournament wins by foreigners, in your memory? Mine were:

Stephano winning IPL 3 and NASL 3
Huk winning MLG Orlando
Naniwa winning the MLG Global Invitational

The IPL3 win was not super impressive, imo, I was there. The top Koreans that were there choked HARD, Slayers brought their A squad, Boxer included, but Stephano never ran into them; his opponent in the finals was Lucky... (yeah...who?), and it was a boring steamroll (after a really long boring exhibition match of some MOBA I thought would never take off by the silly name of League of Legends...)

NASL I didn't watch so I don't know, but HuK's MLG win was pretty impressive, and I would add Thorzain taking down Polt at Dreamhack


I was there too!

And I literally fell asleep during that MOBA interruption, before the grand finals.
"There is nothing more satisfying than looking at a crowd of people and helping them get what I love." ~Day[9] Daily #100
Xoronius
Profile Joined July 2011
Germany6362 Posts
December 25 2015 23:26 GMT
#169
On December 26 2015 06:28 jalstar wrote:
What were the most impressive premier tournament wins by foreigners, in your memory? Mine were:

Stephano winning IPL 3 and NASL 3
Huk winning MLG Orlando
Naniwa winning the MLG Global Invitational

I think HSC 5 is up there. Nerchio beating MC (who was in GSL ro8 at that time and would go on to make the final, 3-0ing DRG in the semis a week after HSC took place) and murdering Yonghwa was quite impressive. Still remembering the hatch save on Ohana as a symbol for that series.
Bernabus1
Profile Joined August 2015
4 Posts
December 26 2015 00:04 GMT
#170
Nice to see Jinro in his rightful place. One of the most overrated players of all time.
alukarD
Profile Joined July 2012
Mexico396 Posts
December 26 2015 00:33 GMT
#171
Greatest foreigners title fits most to

Stephano
Naniwa
Huk

These players had it all: The skill, the fame, the results, the "moments", and the drama.
Die Trying
Gullis
Profile Joined April 2012
Sweden740 Posts
December 26 2015 00:34 GMT
#172
I don't think Huk is on the same level drama wise thought.
I would rather eat than see my children starve.
Yonnua
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
United Kingdom2331 Posts
December 26 2015 00:42 GMT
#173
Naniwa beating Mvp, Nestea (when they were the best players in the world, as told to us by TL writers in the GOAT article), and DRG (GSL champion a couple of months later) all in the same weekend is indisputably a bigger achievement than anything that Stephano did, and Naniwa was consistently around the top (at least of the foreign scene) between 2011 and 2014. Stephano had a much smaller period of dominance and never competed in the GSL, other than when he was knocked out in round one.

Consistency + Higher peaks + Success in/out of Korea = Naniwa best foreigner.
LRSL 2014 Finalist! PartinG | Mvp | Bomber | Creator | NaNiwa | herO
Xoronius
Profile Joined July 2011
Germany6362 Posts
December 26 2015 00:46 GMT
#174
On December 26 2015 09:42 Yonnua wrote:
Naniwa beating Mvp, Nestea (when they were the best players in the world, as told to us by TL writers in the GOAT article), and DRG (GSL champion a couple of months later) all in the same weekend is indisputably a bigger achievement than anything that Stephano did, and Naniwa was consistently around the top (at least of the foreign scene) between 2011 and 2014. Stephano had a much smaller period of dominance and never competed in the GSL, other than when he was knocked out in round one.

Consistency + Higher peaks + Success in/out of Korea = Naniwa best foreigner.

To be fair, he got knocked out by losing to Innovations vZ twice. Not really something, he has to be ashamed for.
Doodsmack
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States7224 Posts
December 26 2015 04:37 GMT
#175
If Stephano doesn't get #1, I will make very negative posts on TL.
firehand101
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Australia3152 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-12-26 05:24:52
December 26 2015 05:22 GMT
#176
If Stephano is not #1 then the world will explode

EDIT: LOL at the comment above mine

just fucking announce #1 and get it over and done with haha fkin TL....

He could be tied for one of the most influential players to play Starcraft in general. Who the fuck could just go freestyle and 'feel' the game like he could....he introduced a beautiful freedom into the game
The opinions expressed by our users do not reflect the official position of TeamLiquid.net or its staff.
stuchiu
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Fiddler's Green42661 Posts
December 26 2015 05:38 GMT
#177
Most people don't associate freedom with bl/infestor
Moderator
SetGuitarsToKill
Profile Blog Joined December 2013
Canada28396 Posts
December 26 2015 05:40 GMT
#178
On December 26 2015 14:38 stuchiu wrote:
Most people don't associate freedom with bl/infestor

People do associate "free" with BL/Infestor though. Free wins :D
Community News"As long as you have a warp prism you can't be bad at harassment" - Maru | @SetGuitars2Kill
Liquid`Jinro
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
Sweden33719 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-12-26 08:31:27
December 26 2015 08:04 GMT
#179
On December 25 2015 01:31 Scorch wrote:
I disagree with Jinro being so low. If we skip ahead to the #1 position, there are really only two candidates for me: Stephano and Jinro. Stephano had a long era of foreign domination, lots of tournament wins and could consistently go toe to toe with Koreans. Jinro, at his peak, had real impact in the most prestigious tournament in the motherland, which is a feat noone else ever came close to repeating. How one compares the value of these achievements is subjective, and I, too, would favor Stephano, but #12 is certainly too low for Jinro.

Thanks but I wasn't even sure I would be on this list lol D:

I think if my 3 tournament placings had happened 1 or 2 years later, you could argue I should be higher but the scene was so young at the time, I think they should be 'devalued' a little bit at least.

Doesn't mean I'm not proud of those two GSL semi finals, of course

On December 25 2015 17:59 kottbullar wrote:
Doesn't carry the same amount of hype as the GOAT list since #1 is pretty clear. I guess #2-4 rankings would be interesting to see though.

To all the Jinro fans out here, as much as I love the guy his period of dominance was very very short in comparison to others. Likewise, he had very little impact on the meta (Puma was the much more prominent 1-1-1 user of that era).

I didn't even play the traditional 1-1-1 at first, the version I preferred was the Brat_OK one with ravens and bio instead of tanks.

I like to think I popularized blue flame hellion drops in TvT on the korean ladder tho (indirectly, it was before I'd really made it into anything, but nobody was using blue flame hellion builds TvT when I got to Korea and after I started using them a lot on ladder, suddenly it was one of the like 3 standard TvT openings for a while).

One of my favorite memories from around this time was hearing oGsTOP complaining about how he can't beat the bio guys TvT on ladder (specifically bomber and marineking).... I'm like "Really? I think bio openers are pretty easy to beat". So TOP, who at this time is like top 5 KR GM (which was far higher than me rofl) tells me to login to his account and play some games so he can watch.

Mentally Im like "oh crap my big mouth", but I say "OK". First game I get MarineKing, cloak banshee into blue flame hellion drop into sick game win. 2nd game Bomber, same thing. Looked pretty boss IMO even though it involved a fuck ton of luck :D

EDIT: Then around the time I was playing Marineking in the GSL semis, I was experimenting with this fucking BATTLECRUSIER tank 1 base push on scrap station with an SCV pull, knocking down the rocks (it won some games but was really inconsistent), TOP - who at this point was a really strong TvT:er and avid blueflame hellion user - was like "why dont you just use the blueflame hellion into banshee build..?". Which I did for game 1 which I won. Full circle : )

Disappointed about the Jungle Basin game tho, I had this really interesting mech build planned (nobody meched TvT at this time except goody lol), but it was such a new build that it didn't have all the kinks worked out and I got flustered and screwed it up when MKP did something I didn't expect. It was really similar to some of the later day double armory mech styles tho, and it worked well in practice vs Select and some others (split map gameplan fairly strong on jungle basin).

Also remember having like a 4-5 game TvT marathon with MVP on the ladder when he first started climbing it (just before I made GSL for the first time), and a ton of long TvTs vs boxer, also on ladder... Man I'd forgotten how cool ladder was around that time.

Speaking of ladder builds, while my blue flame hellion TvT style got a little bit popular, dario's 1/1/1 one gas TvT marine/hellion/medivac opener became THE build when he used it on ladder. It was insane, almost every good korean terran would use it at least sometimes.

Spunky was like "in the future, never use your good builds on the ladder dario wtf" :D
Moderatortell the guy that interplanatar interaction is pivotal to terrans variety of optionitudals in the pre-midgame preperatories as well as the protosstinal deterriggation of elite zergling strikes - Stimey n | Formerly FrozenArbiter
Philozovic
Profile Joined August 2012
France1677 Posts
December 26 2015 10:38 GMT
#180
On December 26 2015 17:04 Liquid`Jinro wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 25 2015 01:31 Scorch wrote:
I disagree with Jinro being so low. If we skip ahead to the #1 position, there are really only two candidates for me: Stephano and Jinro. Stephano had a long era of foreign domination, lots of tournament wins and could consistently go toe to toe with Koreans. Jinro, at his peak, had real impact in the most prestigious tournament in the motherland, which is a feat noone else ever came close to repeating. How one compares the value of these achievements is subjective, and I, too, would favor Stephano, but #12 is certainly too low for Jinro.

Thanks but I wasn't even sure I would be on this list lol D:

I think if my 3 tournament placings had happened 1 or 2 years later, you could argue I should be higher but the scene was so young at the time, I think they should be 'devalued' a little bit at least.

Doesn't mean I'm not proud of those two GSL semi finals, of course

Show nested quote +
On December 25 2015 17:59 kottbullar wrote:
Doesn't carry the same amount of hype as the GOAT list since #1 is pretty clear. I guess #2-4 rankings would be interesting to see though.

To all the Jinro fans out here, as much as I love the guy his period of dominance was very very short in comparison to others. Likewise, he had very little impact on the meta (Puma was the much more prominent 1-1-1 user of that era).

I didn't even play the traditional 1-1-1 at first, the version I preferred was the Brat_OK one with ravens and bio instead of tanks.

I like to think I popularized blue flame hellion drops in TvT on the korean ladder tho (indirectly, it was before I'd really made it into anything, but nobody was using blue flame hellion builds TvT when I got to Korea and after I started using them a lot on ladder, suddenly it was one of the like 3 standard TvT openings for a while).

One of my favorite memories from around this time was hearing oGsTOP complaining about how he can't beat the bio guys TvT on ladder (specifically bomber and marineking).... I'm like "Really? I think bio openers are pretty easy to beat". So TOP, who at this time is like top 5 KR GM (which was far higher than me rofl) tells me to login to his account and play some games so he can watch.

Mentally Im like "oh crap my big mouth", but I say "OK". First game I get MarineKing, cloak banshee into blue flame hellion drop into sick game win. 2nd game Bomber, same thing. Looked pretty boss IMO even though it involved a fuck ton of luck :D

EDIT: Then around the time I was playing Marineking in the GSL semis, I was experimenting with this fucking BATTLECRUSIER tank 1 base push on scrap station with an SCV pull, knocking down the rocks (it won some games but was really inconsistent), TOP - who at this point was a really strong TvT:er and avid blueflame hellion user - was like "why dont you just use the blueflame hellion into banshee build..?". Which I did for game 1 which I won. Full circle : )

Disappointed about the Jungle Basin game tho, I had this really interesting mech build planned (nobody meched TvT at this time except goody lol), but it was such a new build that it didn't have all the kinks worked out and I got flustered and screwed it up when MKP did something I didn't expect. It was really similar to some of the later day double armory mech styles tho, and it worked well in practice vs Select and some others (split map gameplan fairly strong on jungle basin).

Also remember having like a 4-5 game TvT marathon with MVP on the ladder when he first started climbing it (just before I made GSL for the first time), and a ton of long TvTs vs boxer, also on ladder... Man I'd forgotten how cool ladder was around that time.

Speaking of ladder builds, while my blue flame hellion TvT style got a little bit popular, dario's 1/1/1 one gas TvT marine/hellion/medivac opener became THE build when he used it on ladder. It was insane, almost every good korean terran would use it at least sometimes.

Spunky was like "in the future, never use your good builds on the ladder dario wtf" :D


Had you made a double Ro4 in a row in 2012 there would not even be a question of the #1 spot
Sure your reign was short but you were one of the very few who could have won the big thing, the field may have been weaker but still you beat the greats of your time (I will never forget MC GSL January 2011). A feat only been achieve by so few.
INnoVation is the absolute best | I wept for i knew his words to be true
Prev 1 7 8 9 10 11 13 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
INu's Battles
20:00
INu's Battles#21
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
IntoTheiNu 750
LiquipediaDiscussion
Sparkling Tuna Cup
19:00
Weekly #149 (SHIN Mod Edition)
Krystianer vs YoungYakovLIVE!
ByuN vs AqueroN
CranKy Ducklings185
CranKy Ducklings SOOP20
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 27822
Shuttle 11724
FanTaSy 1602
Hyuk 1022
Horang2 564
BeSt 495
Mini 288
Pusan 240
Stork 213
EffOrt 162
[ Show more ]
Killer 143
Last 138
Zeus 122
Mind 90
ggaemo 69
Hyun 54
PianO 42
Snow 42
Sea.KH 40
sorry 39
ToSsGirL 36
Bale 31
Hm[arnc] 30
JYJ 25
Aegong 22
zelot 18
Sacsri 11
ajuk12(nOOB) 10
Noble 6
Dota 2
XcaliburYe355
Dendi225
Counter-Strike
fl0m2242
byalli822
x6flipin288
Other Games
gofns33915
singsing2939
B2W.Neo831
Hui .77
Livibee66
ArmadaUGS65
Mew2King62
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick648
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream75
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Michael_bg 11
• FirePhoenix6
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
3h 14m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
7h 14m
BSL Open Qualifier
7h 14m
Replay Cast
11h 14m
Afreeca Starleague
22h 14m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
23h 14m
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 4h
Replay Cast
1d 11h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 22h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 23h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.