• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:36
CEST 02:36
KST 09:36
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Recent patches and the Future StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9066 users

GOM switches free quality of GSL back to low - Page 16

Forum Index > SC2 General
550 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 14 15 16 17 18 28 Next All
sixfour
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
England11062 Posts
June 10 2015 14:25 GMT
#301
On June 10 2015 23:18 KingAlphard wrote:

How did wcs destroy the foreign scene lol, 2k $ for challenger seems pretty good to me, and it's a goal that even non-pro players can achieve.


go look at the number of different foreign tournaments that you had at the end of WoL and compare it to how many you have today. wcs has consumed pretty much everything, and with the stupid high variance format they have it's not good for players. it's exactly the same problem korea had for years
p: stats, horang2, free, jangbi z: soulkey, zero, shine, hydra t: leta, hiya, sea
Deathstar
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
9150 Posts
June 10 2015 14:28 GMT
#302
$8 too much for you people?

watch the korean stream, watch on low, sub, or don't watch. Why so mad
rip passion
DarkPlasmaBall
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States46474 Posts
June 10 2015 14:34 GMT
#303
On June 10 2015 23:12 AyaaLa wrote:
I hope GOM goes bankrupt fast.


No you don't.
"There is nothing more satisfying than looking at a crowd of people and helping them get what I love." ~Day[9] Daily #100
Clonester
Profile Joined August 2014
Germany2808 Posts
June 10 2015 14:35 GMT
#304
2015 still watching GSL.

SPL and SSSL have higher production value, are way more coustomer orientated and have a very good vod system.

When I watch GSL, I use the mobile VOD system to watch their VODs, which are not published to public on their youtube account yet, about 1 sec on my mobile phone and then switch to my pc or tv and watch them from there due to the recent videos in the youtube list.
Bomber, Attacker, DD, SOMEBODY, NiKo, Nex, Spidii
NasusAndDraven
Profile Joined April 2015
359 Posts
June 10 2015 14:36 GMT
#305
On June 10 2015 23:25 sixfour wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 10 2015 23:18 KingAlphard wrote:

How did wcs destroy the foreign scene lol, 2k $ for challenger seems pretty good to me, and it's a goal that even non-pro players can achieve.


go look at the number of different foreign tournaments that you had at the end of WoL and compare it to how many you have today. wcs has consumed pretty much everything, and with the stupid high variance format they have it's not good for players. it's exactly the same problem korea had for years

yeah and at end of WoL tournaments got 8 times more viewers + people were expecting it to get bigger. I wonder if that has anything to do with the number of tournaments aswell.
lolmlg
Profile Joined November 2011
619 Posts
June 10 2015 14:36 GMT
#306
On June 10 2015 23:25 sixfour wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 10 2015 23:18 KingAlphard wrote:

How did wcs destroy the foreign scene lol, 2k $ for challenger seems pretty good to me, and it's a goal that even non-pro players can achieve.


go look at the number of different foreign tournaments that you had at the end of WoL and compare it to how many you have today. wcs has consumed pretty much everything, and with the stupid high variance format they have it's not good for players. it's exactly the same problem korea had for years

Uhm, wasn't SC2, like, at a much earlier point in its steep decline at the end of WoL? You're talking about a period in time when the game was relatively new and popular and people were still optimistic. Is it really surprising that there are fewer tournaments now than there were in 2012? The world has moved on.
ohmylanta1003
Profile Joined February 2015
United States128 Posts
June 10 2015 14:38 GMT
#307
On June 10 2015 16:17 NEEDZMOAR wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 10 2015 16:15 str10_hurts wrote:
I am ok with that. When I was a student I watched it on low. I got free entertainment! Now that I work I pay for the stream, I save money by not investing in crap programmes on tv.

Lets be honest, the GSL is by far the best SC2 show out there. (and probably the most expensive to produce) Yes other shows have good stuff, but really the GSL is were it is.


the casting is really bad compared to proleague though and this shitting on foreigner fans thing is getting really annoying really quickly.


Do you honestly think that Moonglade and Valdes are better casters than Tasteless and Artosis?
Darthsanta13
Profile Joined July 2011
United States564 Posts
June 10 2015 14:39 GMT
#308
It's so hard for me to believe that this decision actually makes any sense for GOM. What makes them different from literally every other organization, SC2 or otherwise, that makes it so they can't provide a watchable foreign stream?
Charoisaur
Profile Joined August 2014
Germany16095 Posts
June 10 2015 14:39 GMT
#309
From the sound of the message it seems like gom really needs that money to continue broadcasting the gsl.
If it's out of necessity i will accept that, better than having no gsl at all.
Many of the coolest moments in sc2 happen due to worker harassment
calippo
Profile Joined March 2011
Sweden2525 Posts
June 10 2015 14:45 GMT
#310
bet it would be free on source if they had heroes of the trash tournament.

User was warned for this post
in it for the game not for the .... - PMS Army. [WUFC-SDK. VIM. PMS]
Clonester
Profile Joined August 2014
Germany2808 Posts
June 10 2015 14:49 GMT
#311
On June 10 2015 23:38 ohmylanta1003 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 10 2015 16:17 NEEDZMOAR wrote:
On June 10 2015 16:15 str10_hurts wrote:
I am ok with that. When I was a student I watched it on low. I got free entertainment! Now that I work I pay for the stream, I save money by not investing in crap programmes on tv.

Lets be honest, the GSL is by far the best SC2 show out there. (and probably the most expensive to produce) Yes other shows have good stuff, but really the GSL is were it is.


the casting is really bad compared to proleague though and this shitting on foreigner fans thing is getting really annoying really quickly.


Do you honestly think that Moonglade and Valdes are better casters than Tasteless and Artosis?



I think so: Valdes has the voice and the ability to hype, Moonglade the knowledge. What does Tasteless and Artosis have? Game of Throne talks during the games? More Offtopic?
Bomber, Attacker, DD, SOMEBODY, NiKo, Nex, Spidii
JimmyJRaynor
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada17877 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-06-10 14:55:19
June 10 2015 14:55 GMT
#312
On June 10 2015 23:28 Deathstar wrote:
$8 too much for you people?
watch the korean stream, watch on low, sub, or don't watch. Why so mad


there is an upcoming big SC2 event in Toronto and its 3 or 4 days long.

the individual day $8 tickets are sold out.
the $20 full event passes are still available.

even small amounts of cash seem to be an issue.

$20 for 3 days is amazing.. i can't think of any live event .. even a baseball game which is a 7 day per week sport.. that has tickets priced that low.
Ray Kassar To David Crane : "you're no more important to Atari than the factory workers assembling the cartridges"
SetGuitarsToKill
Profile Blog Joined December 2013
Canada28396 Posts
June 10 2015 14:58 GMT
#313
On June 10 2015 23:55 JimmyJRaynor wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 10 2015 23:28 Deathstar wrote:
$8 too much for you people?
watch the korean stream, watch on low, sub, or don't watch. Why so mad


there is an upcoming big SC2 event in Toronto and its 3 or 4 days long.

the individual day $8 tickets are sold out.
the $20 full event passes are still available.

even small amounts of cash seem to be an issue.

$20 for 3 days is amazing.. i can't think of any live event .. even a baseball game which is a 7 day per week sport.. that has tickets priced that low.

only the day 2 and 3 (sat and sun) tickets that are sold out, so I think that's more of an issue of local people who work or whatever who can't make it on friday but want to go saturday and sunday
Community News"As long as you have a warp prism you can't be bad at harassment" - Maru | @SetGuitars2Kill
Salteador Neo
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Andorra5591 Posts
June 10 2015 15:07 GMT
#314
They would have been better off if they never changed it to medium in the first place IMO.

Not saying I'll watch low quality either. GSL's future is not looking bright atm.
Revolutionist fan
imJealous
Profile Joined July 2010
United States1382 Posts
June 10 2015 15:15 GMT
#315
Welp, back to not watching GSL at all...
... In life very little goes right. "Right" meaning the way one expected and the way one wanted it. One has no right to want or expect anything.
ftjust
Profile Joined October 2010
Sweden43 Posts
June 10 2015 15:17 GMT
#316
unacceptable imo, i even turned off adblock for a week but they are really spamming commercials its insane, didnt get to se any of the inbetwen game analytics or here the casters make their predictions or strategy analytics. wcs ro32 and 16 had this problem aswell. so i turned it back on. will not watch gsl anymore.
ohmylanta1003
Profile Joined February 2015
United States128 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-06-10 17:55:41
June 10 2015 15:20 GMT
#317
On June 10 2015 23:49 Clonester wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 10 2015 23:38 ohmylanta1003 wrote:
On June 10 2015 16:17 NEEDZMOAR wrote:
On June 10 2015 16:15 str10_hurts wrote:
I am ok with that. When I was a student I watched it on low. I got free entertainment! Now that I work I pay for the stream, I save money by not investing in crap programmes on tv.

Lets be honest, the GSL is by far the best SC2 show out there. (and probably the most expensive to produce) Yes other shows have good stuff, but really the GSL is were it is.


the casting is really bad compared to proleague though and this shitting on foreigner fans thing is getting really annoying really quickly.


Do you honestly think that Moonglade and Valdes are better casters than Tasteless and Artosis?



I think so: Valdes has the voice and the ability to hype, Moonglade the knowledge. What does Tasteless and Artosis have? Game of Throne talks during the games? More Offtopic?


I'll give you Moonglade. I actually thought he and Tasteless or he and Artosis were pretty good. Because Moonglade is often talking more about the game, it really forces his partner to also talk about the game. But Moonglade also has a pretty dark and funny sense of humor sometimes, so he is a pretty good balance. Wolf is not exciting. I can't stand Valdes.
SkrollK
Profile Joined January 2015
France580 Posts
June 10 2015 15:21 GMT
#318
On June 10 2015 18:05 Mojito99 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 10 2015 17:52 SC2Toastie wrote:
On June 10 2015 17:51 xdevilx2 wrote:
If they struggle with money then I doubt that the few extra subs that they will get help. I mean thats maybe 200$ more?

And were did you get those figures?



Regarding the money side of this decision.

Essentially, this move hurts the english viewership only. As far as I know, the majority of sponsors of the GSL do not have the english audience as a target group. So increased english viewership offers nothing to Gom. Therefore its absolutely reasonable to "charge extra" simply because neither GOM nor their sponsors were benefitting from english viewership in the first place.

The only reason to provide a free HD stream is because the additional exposure offers enough value to the sponsors to compensate the provider of the service (which would be the Goms, Dreahhacks, IEMs) to not put up a paywall.

Most reasonable economic "growth models" would advice against this sort of move. But for an organisation with no intent on expanding or bringing in foreign "investment" - aka sponsors - there is really nothing to say against it.

Happy to hear counter arguments :D



On June 10 2015 17:35 Orlok wrote:
While I might sound biased, being Korean and getting free HD quality and vods, I think this move is inevitable.
While people say GSL is the most prestigious tournament in SC2, thats a thing of the past. Right now, even in the so called better production, better everything S3SL or Proleague, the korean viewership on Youtube and Naver totals just around 4~5000 viewers each, not all of them Korean, or at least that's the average viewer number I've seen so far (If I'm wrong, please correct me).
On twitch, it averages around 10,000 viewers and 15000 to 20000 in the finals or important matches. Korean viewership is really not at an all high level despite the current dip in popularity LOL has at the moment.
...


Here you are.

If sponsors don't focus on Foreign audience, then I guess I could make a LOT of money by going teaching business in KR.
swissman777
Profile Joined September 2014
1106 Posts
June 10 2015 15:24 GMT
#319
On June 10 2015 23:49 Clonester wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 10 2015 23:38 ohmylanta1003 wrote:
On June 10 2015 16:17 NEEDZMOAR wrote:
On June 10 2015 16:15 str10_hurts wrote:
I am ok with that. When I was a student I watched it on low. I got free entertainment! Now that I work I pay for the stream, I save money by not investing in crap programmes on tv.

Lets be honest, the GSL is by far the best SC2 show out there. (and probably the most expensive to produce) Yes other shows have good stuff, but really the GSL is were it is.


the casting is really bad compared to proleague though and this shitting on foreigner fans thing is getting really annoying really quickly.


Do you honestly think that Moonglade and Valdes are better casters than Tasteless and Artosis?



I think so: Valdes has the voice and the ability to hype, Moonglade the knowledge. What does Tasteless and Artosis have? Game of Throne talks during the games? More Offtopic?



It's their style. I'm pretty sure the duo can do what you'd expect from Moonglade and Valdes. They've shown that on events outside of GSL. However, they choose not to. This is good for me. Unless you are really new to sc2, you'd appreciate their sense of humour more than stating what's obvious. It gives the VODs good replay value. Also, tastosis do a good job when they are talking about the game. They frequently talk about what A can do and how B can block it, and with good accuracy whenever they decide to get serious. Moonglade and Valdes however, talk a lot on the fly and therefore without impact. They only state what's there in front of them and don't look/elaborate further like tastosis do. This is due to tastosis' experience of casting sc2 since WoL and I prefer this than sth like "Life's losing another base, he's in trouble!"

Moreover, may I need to remind you that Moonglade and Valdes tend to forget matches that even happened on the same week? They try to think about what's on the meta and what could happen based on recent events and they fail at it. They forget what actually happened, let alone remember the names of players that played the games that week!

And Valdes has the ability to hype? You mean repeat "Huge advantage!", "Huge engagement" up to the point where you can play a drinking game on? Please. Whenever someone uses such a general term all the time, it is to cover one's lack of knowledge of the subject. And if he hypes an engagement as if that's all that mattered (eg shutdown on drop attempt), and deceives the audience that the match is over when it's not, would you call him professional, would call him good at hyping things? No. I'd label him misleading and therefore not useful in the cast.

Now I presume Valdes and Moonglade are both wonderful and cheerful individuals and I expect good things and great professional careers for doing what they're passionate about. However likewise, you have to give Artosis and Tasteless credit for innovating a new style of casting that is both casual yet effective. I've not seen ANYTHING like it in other esports or sports casting, and I hope that the duo goes on and brings new things on the table for the whole world of entertainment to enjoy.

*disclaimer: When I stated "shutdown on drop attempt" as an example, I was not sure if Valdes actually wrongly hyped that. However, everyone's very welcome to disprove what I have stated on Valdes as I have watched plenty of his VODs.
NMxSardines
Profile Joined February 2012
77 Posts
June 10 2015 15:32 GMT
#320
Desperate tactics will not encourage me to do anything. If GoMTV truly is struggling that much, they might as well go bankrupt instead of going through these death throes.
Prev 1 14 15 16 17 18 28 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 9h 24m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2395
Artosis 685
White-Ra 112
910 47
Dota 2
monkeys_forever565
NeuroSwarm168
Counter-Strike
m0e_tv305
Super Smash Bros
AZ_Axe158
Other Games
summit1g8723
shahzam666
JimRising 575
C9.Mang0279
ArmadaUGS83
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick780
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream323
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 123
• davetesta17
• Letter147
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
9h 24m
Afreeca Starleague
9h 24m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
23h 24m
Kung Fu Cup
1d 10h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.