• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:54
CEST 22:54
KST 05:54
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War565.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
$3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem Fantasy returning? TL Sidebar missing streams Rollback Netcode in Brood War
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6945 users

GOM switches free quality of GSL back to low - Page 14

Forum Index > SC2 General
550 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 12 13 14 15 16 28 Next All
SeriousLus
Profile Joined July 2012
169 Posts
June 10 2015 12:15 GMT
#261
total Bullshit. unprofitable? maybe more ppl would watch it if it were watchable.and maybe not charging 13(?) bucks a month might also help. And the commercials. Holy shit, that alone is often the reason i switch it off (besides the ridiculous quality which is the 2nd reason i dont watch it too often). a regular restream on EU and NA timezones would also increase viewership (720p at least obviously)
the stream lags and stutters like a mofo on every setting.. and wasnt there a rule by Blizzard to provide free 720p streams for WCS? (i remember HuK wanting to eat a broom if this wasnt true ~2 months back on Desrows weekly stream thing)

typical Gom statement, didnt expect it any onther way from those... people
Sableyeah
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Netherlands2119 Posts
June 10 2015 12:16 GMT
#262
Money has to be generated some how... I haven't watched GSL in ages but I did subscribe for higher quality. Goodluck man
BoA | Sunny | HyunA | ChoA | Hyemi // Preoccupied with a single leaf, you won't see the tree. Preoccupied with a single tree and you will miss the entire f0rest - Takuan Soho
PinoKotsBeer
Profile Joined February 2014
Netherlands1387 Posts
June 10 2015 12:19 GMT
#263
lol the 13 bucks a month comments! Learn to read ffs; its 13.99 for 3 months

see: http://static-cdn.jtvnw.net/jtv_user_pictures/panel-52229024-image-945144f2d06c502a-320.png
http://www.twitch.tv/pinokotsbeer
Penev
Profile Joined October 2012
28536 Posts
June 10 2015 12:31 GMT
#264
On June 10 2015 21:08 BisuDagger wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 10 2015 21:05 TheBloodyDwarf wrote:
just opened stream. Low quality is not so bad. I can see all the texts and other

It's not end of the world. I have a couple things I can't see because low quality hurts my color blindness. I actually can't see blinding cloud in most cases.

Working as intended

+ Show Spoiler +
I'm sorry :/
I Protoss winner, could it be?
-Celestial-
Profile Joined September 2011
United Kingdom3867 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-06-10 12:32:48
June 10 2015 12:32 GMT
#265
I find the fact that some people are blaming this on "durr SC2 so bad design" utterly ridiculous honestly.

Here's a perspective from someone who used to watch tons and doesn't anymore: GOMTV used to be the only SC2 thing that I would pretty much religiously watch especially GSTL. I kept a subscription going even when there were periods where I literally had no time to watch anything and I'd go back to catch up later. Sometimes I'd dig through the archives to find games I'd not seen.

Then it went to twitch. I didn't have a twitch account and even having made one I don't use it, I don't subscribe or follow people on twitch. Then GSTL went away. And Code S became part of the weird WCS system. They changed the player to something I don't really like as much as their own and also changed most of what I actually liked to watch.

So...yeah as a result I lost all interest and don't watch GSL anymore. So they don't get my money anymore. Its as simple as that.
"Protoss simultaneously feels unbeatably strong and unwinnably weak." - kcdc
andoRRR
Profile Joined September 2013
Germany36 Posts
June 10 2015 12:34 GMT
#266
I'm not subscribing to something because I'm forced to. I'm a 3SL subscriber and for a long time WCS EU sub, because I like the production quality, the casters and the games not because I was forced to pay so I could see more than pixelwars.
Haven't watched GSL for quite a time now because of the restrictions. 7,99€ for Netflix is much more profitable than this.
SC2Toastie
Profile Blog Joined October 2013
Netherlands5725 Posts
June 10 2015 12:34 GMT
#267
I have to say, the quality on Low was pretty decent today
Mura Ma Man, Dark Da Dude, Super Shot Sos!
fruity.
Profile Joined April 2012
England1711 Posts
June 10 2015 12:35 GMT
#268
On June 10 2015 21:34 SC2Toastie wrote:
I have to say, the quality on Low was pretty decent today


Indeed. The text was clear, unlike the previous time it was on low.


Ex Zerg learning Terran. A bold move.
Penev
Profile Joined October 2012
28536 Posts
June 10 2015 12:39 GMT
#269
On June 10 2015 21:34 SC2Toastie wrote:
I have to say, the quality on Low was pretty decent today

It seemed better than their medium even, better bitrate I presume
I Protoss winner, could it be?
BisuDagger
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Bisutopia19393 Posts
June 10 2015 12:42 GMT
#270
On June 10 2015 21:31 Penev wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 10 2015 21:08 BisuDagger wrote:
On June 10 2015 21:05 TheBloodyDwarf wrote:
just opened stream. Low quality is not so bad. I can see all the texts and other

It's not end of the world. I have a couple things I can't see because low quality hurts my color blindness. I actually can't see blinding cloud in most cases.

Working as intended

+ Show Spoiler +
I'm sorry :/

Bwahahahahaha. That was beautiful mate.

You've earned a Bisu achievement!
http://www.gfycat.com/BlueBitterKingfisher
ModeratorFormer Afreeca Starleague Caster: http://afreeca.tv/ASL2ENG2
Cascade
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
Australia5405 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-06-10 12:47:06
June 10 2015 12:44 GMT
#271
On June 10 2015 19:24 OtherWorld wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 10 2015 19:21 TheNewEra wrote:
On June 10 2015 19:14 Horsaphael wrote:
That's good for O'Gaming

why? (honest question)

O'Gaming broadcasts GSL at something like 18:00 or 20:00 CET (not sure on that) on the day GSL happened. It's in French, but it's with free Source. Thus less people watching GSL live because of low stream quality = more potential viewers for O'Gaming, since afaik O'Gaming is the only source of HQ GSL for non-subscribers.

ok, done!
French stream muted, and english stream with sound in another tab at the same time.
Both get ad time, everyone wins!

GOM won't get subscriptions though...

edit: oh wait, ogaming isn't live? Right, doesnt work then, sorry. nm me.
Madars
Profile Joined December 2011
Latvia166 Posts
June 10 2015 12:46 GMT
#272
On June 10 2015 15:50 dala wrote:
Tough times for GOM. Anyone having a spare $5 should subscribe to support the Korean scene.

Subscription is 8$ for GSL.
<3 Alexis Eusebio, Lee Shin Hyung, Choi Seong Hun, Joo Sung Wook, Jang Min Chul, Kim Yoo Jin, Lee Young Ho, Lee Shin Hyung, Yun Young Seo, Kim Joon Ho, Jeong Jong Hyeon, Eo Yoon Su, Johan Lucchesi, Ilyes Satouri
deth
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Australia1757 Posts
June 10 2015 12:49 GMT
#273
Further barriers to entry is a bloody good way to ensure GSL and Korean Starcraft 2 never truly grow further from hereon in.

Blatant money grab based on economic models to grab a quick buck. I wouldn't be surprised to see SC2 disappear from GOM in the not too distant future. Very disappointed, from a long-time subscriber.

argonautdice
Profile Joined January 2013
Canada2722 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-06-10 12:51:38
June 10 2015 12:50 GMT
#274
Well this is only gonna be profitable if:

(a) Revenue from new subs who pity GOM's plight + (b) revenue from new subs whose threshold for subbing is medium+ stream quality > (c) Cost of running medium instead of low + (d) cost of bad publicity and turning away potential new subs who are offended by this move

I feel like all these factors are actually pretty negligible relative to the cost of production at GOM.
very illegal and very uncool
imre
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
France9263 Posts
June 10 2015 12:51 GMT
#275
On June 10 2015 21:44 Cascade wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 10 2015 19:24 OtherWorld wrote:
On June 10 2015 19:21 TheNewEra wrote:
On June 10 2015 19:14 Horsaphael wrote:
That's good for O'Gaming

why? (honest question)

O'Gaming broadcasts GSL at something like 18:00 or 20:00 CET (not sure on that) on the day GSL happened. It's in French, but it's with free Source. Thus less people watching GSL live because of low stream quality = more potential viewers for O'Gaming, since afaik O'Gaming is the only source of HQ GSL for non-subscribers.

ok, done!
French stream muted, and english stream with sound in another tab at the same time.
Both get ad time, everyone wins!

GOM won't get subscriptions though...

edit: oh wait, ogaming isn't live? Right, doesnt work then, sorry. nm me.


8pm CEST, there is a rebroadcast after the show and the day after normally.
Zest fanboy.
geokilla
Profile Joined May 2011
Canada8255 Posts
June 10 2015 12:51 GMT
#276
Time to pirate the GSL
DarkPlasmaBall
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States46510 Posts
June 10 2015 12:54 GMT
#277
This announcement is incredibly disappointing

On June 10 2015 21:39 Penev wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 10 2015 21:34 SC2Toastie wrote:
I have to say, the quality on Low was pretty decent today

It seemed better than their medium even, better bitrate I presume


Plot twist: Official statement designed to purposely piss off viewers by insisting that only Low quality is available, when secretly they've increased all quality so that viewers are actually watching in better resolution... survey taken in one month to test out whether or not the viewers realize they've been watching a better stream, or if they're too stuck on the label of Low vs. Medium.
"There is nothing more satisfying than looking at a crowd of people and helping them get what I love." ~Day[9] Daily #100
Mosha
Profile Joined August 2013
Germany18 Posts
June 10 2015 12:55 GMT
#278
LOL, ESL offers high quality for free, the tickets for the live event are like 7€ and you get free drinks. (The company with the wings and that cow-like animal). And they have to pay the Casters.

I wonder, how they manage to do that, since they for sure make NO profit out of the live event itself.
How many sponsors are involved?
Penev
Profile Joined October 2012
28536 Posts
June 10 2015 12:55 GMT
#279
On June 10 2015 21:42 BisuDagger wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 10 2015 21:31 Penev wrote:
On June 10 2015 21:08 BisuDagger wrote:
On June 10 2015 21:05 TheBloodyDwarf wrote:
just opened stream. Low quality is not so bad. I can see all the texts and other

It's not end of the world. I have a couple things I can't see because low quality hurts my color blindness. I actually can't see blinding cloud in most cases.

Working as intended

+ Show Spoiler +
I'm sorry :/

Bwahahahahaha. That was beautiful mate.

You've earned a Bisu achievement!
http://www.gfycat.com/BlueBitterKingfisher

Hehe, thanks
I Protoss winner, could it be?
Deleted User 26513
Profile Joined February 2007
2376 Posts
June 10 2015 12:56 GMT
#280
Meh, GSL is usually in awful time for Europe anyways.
Prev 1 12 13 14 15 16 28 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL: Ladder Tournament
04:00
#3 - $100
ZZZero.O160
LiquipediaDiscussion
AI Arena Tournament
02:00
Swiss - Round 5
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Leta 584
ZZZero.O 160
soO 57
Hyun 49
Dota 2
qojqva2443
League of Legends
Doublelift2013
Counter-Strike
fl0m4113
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4216
Liquid`Hasu652
Other Games
summit1g6724
FrodaN1415
KnowMe346
ToD296
Pyrionflax189
420jenkins187
Livibee186
QueenE105
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick791
StarCraft 2
angryscii 36
[ Show 17 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 67
• Adnapsc2 19
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 40
• FirePhoenix7
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Counter-Strike
• C_a_k_e 1997
Other Games
• imaqtpie890
• Shiphtur582
• Scarra368
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
13h 6m
Patches Events
18h 6m
BSL Open Qualifier
22h 6m
BSL Open Qualifier
22h 6m
OSC
1d 2h
OSC
1d 15h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.