• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:36
CEST 05:36
KST 12:36
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2317
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9329 users

Demoted! Anyone else? - Page 8

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 10 14 Next All
MiCroLiFe
Profile Joined March 2012
Norway275 Posts
April 16 2014 07:12 GMT
#141
Plansix: im 23-13 or somthing and im stil dia, playin last seasons masters...
Im Terran. Yes i will balance whine somethimes. And thats how we terrans survive, Hoping for balance patches<3
korona
Profile Joined October 2009
1098 Posts
April 16 2014 09:01 GMT
#142
On April 16 2014 10:30 bri9and wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 15 2014 18:34 oGoZenob wrote:
I went 15-3 last season and get demoted last night -_-


18 games in a season = not nearly enough games to avoid decay.

18 games in a season is more than enough to avoid decay, if there are no inactivity periods longer than 2 weeks. But he likely has such inactivity periods.
On April 16 2014 11:07 Zenbrez wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 16 2014 11:05 surreal1600 wrote:
On April 16 2014 10:24 bri9and wrote:
On April 15 2014 16:52 MrMotionPicture wrote:
Well since you can no longer be demoted during the season, I think they do this to reset the ladder a little and make sure everyone is where they should be. I'm sure you'll get back to master in no time :3


You can absolutely be demoted mid season.. no idea where this idea came from but I hear it a lot.

Since when? I remember Blizz saying they removed the possibility a long time ago. Did they change their minds?

No, I think bri9and is misinformed. Cannot get demoted mid season (although I'm open to the possibility that I'm misinformed)

There are no demotions mid-season (except from GM if the bonus pool rises above 180). It is possible to get placed lower leagues only via placement matches. By using 'leave league' feature players can force themselves to play a new placement match.
-Celestial-
Profile Joined September 2011
United Kingdom3867 Posts
April 16 2014 09:46 GMT
#143
Haven't even checked this season but probably back in Bronze again. Felt really bad about it last time that happened, not because I demoted but because I was constantly demolishing newbies through to Gold (got bored after about 20 games, no fun destroying new players with random stuff).

Its very annoying. Ok, people lose skill over time of not using it...but not THAT much.
"Protoss simultaneously feels unbeatably strong and unwinnably weak." - kcdc
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27460 Posts
April 16 2014 14:27 GMT
#144
On April 16 2014 18:46 -Celestial- wrote:
Haven't even checked this season but probably back in Bronze again. Felt really bad about it last time that happened, not because I demoted but because I was constantly demolishing newbies through to Gold (got bored after about 20 games, no fun destroying new players with random stuff).

Its very annoying. Ok, people lose skill over time of not using it...but not THAT much.

Pretty much how I feel about ladder at present. The decay seems a bit much, not against the idea of having decay, as previously you'd have leagues stuck with people who played one or two games a season to re-place and just stuck around in the league they placed in. As to whether the decay is too much I'm again not sure, but I just get the feeling it is a bit too steep at present
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
KingAlphard
Profile Blog Joined August 2012
Italy1705 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-04-16 14:41:55
April 16 2014 14:41 GMT
#145
Every season this thread appears... wow.
It's really, really simple actually.
People can't be demoted during the season, but they can be promoted, that means that during the season there are more players than it should in higher leagues. So at the beginning of each season, many people in higher leagues get demoted.
Of course you get demoted only if you are at the bottom of your league. And don't start telling things like "b-but I was top 8" it doesn't mean anything.
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27460 Posts
April 16 2014 14:44 GMT
#146
Yeah it's simple when you put it like that, however why are there not mid-season demotions? Seems to have added to peoples' confusion/discontent with the ladder for no real discernible gain
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
Faust852
Profile Joined February 2012
Luxembourg4004 Posts
April 16 2014 14:49 GMT
#147
On April 16 2014 23:44 Wombat_NI wrote:
Yeah it's simple when you put it like that, however why are there not mid-season demotions? Seems to have added to peoples' confusion/discontent with the ladder for no real discernible gain


Probably to inflate the ego of some. If you got promoted in a high league, you are happy, but at the end of the season, since a lot of players got demoted, they can say "yeah, a lot of good players got demoted too, i'm not bad it's more of a general thing".
Ctone23
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
United States1841 Posts
April 16 2014 14:55 GMT
#148
On April 16 2014 23:41 KingAlphard wrote:
Every season this thread appears... wow.
It's really, really simple actually.
People can't be demoted during the season, but they can be promoted, that means that during the season there are more players than it should in higher leagues. So at the beginning of each season, many people in higher leagues get demoted.
Of course you get demoted only if you are at the bottom of your league. And don't start telling things like "b-but I was top 8" it doesn't mean anything.



False. A lot of players that were in top 8 did get demoted. It's not that hard to get promoted again after the demotion, but it's definitely more wide-spread than you think.
TL+ Member
KingAlphard
Profile Blog Joined August 2012
Italy1705 Posts
April 16 2014 15:13 GMT
#149
On April 16 2014 23:55 Ctone23 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 16 2014 23:41 KingAlphard wrote:
Every season this thread appears... wow.
It's really, really simple actually.
People can't be demoted during the season, but they can be promoted, that means that during the season there are more players than it should in higher leagues. So at the beginning of each season, many people in higher leagues get demoted.
Of course you get demoted only if you are at the bottom of your league. And don't start telling things like "b-but I was top 8" it doesn't mean anything.



False. A lot of players that were in top 8 did get demoted. It's not that hard to get promoted again after the demotion, but it's definitely more wide-spread than you think.


If you actually read the post, you'll notice that I didn't say that you can't be demoted as top 8, but that being top 8 doesn't matter anything.
Ctone23
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
United States1841 Posts
April 16 2014 15:16 GMT
#150
On April 17 2014 00:13 KingAlphard wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 16 2014 23:55 Ctone23 wrote:
On April 16 2014 23:41 KingAlphard wrote:
Every season this thread appears... wow.
It's really, really simple actually.
People can't be demoted during the season, but they can be promoted, that means that during the season there are more players than it should in higher leagues. So at the beginning of each season, many people in higher leagues get demoted.
Of course you get demoted only if you are at the bottom of your league. And don't start telling things like "b-but I was top 8" it doesn't mean anything.



False. A lot of players that were in top 8 did get demoted. It's not that hard to get promoted again after the demotion, but it's definitely more wide-spread than you think.


If you actually read the post, you'll notice that I didn't say that you can't be demoted as top 8, but that being top 8 doesn't matter anything.



That's not how I read it. "Of course you get demoted only if you are at the bottom of your league" seemed pretty straight forward.

Sorry for the confusion.
TL+ Member
KingAlphard
Profile Blog Joined August 2012
Italy1705 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-04-16 15:40:23
April 16 2014 15:39 GMT
#151
Yeah by "bottom" I mean MMR, not position, which are two different things obviously. Bottom might be an exaggeration, to be accurate it's like "low enough to match consistently players of the lower league"
Personally I've never been demoted from master league once I was high enough to never match diamond players.
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
April 16 2014 15:40 GMT
#152
On April 16 2014 16:12 MiCroLiFe wrote:
Plansix: im 23-13 or somthing and im stil dia, playin last seasons masters...

Your still playing SC2, right? You lost some matches, but it sounds like you are on your way. I don't really see a problem asong as the game is still fun.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
Excalibur_Z
Profile Joined October 2002
United States12257 Posts
April 16 2014 16:10 GMT
#153
On April 16 2014 23:41 KingAlphard wrote:
Every season this thread appears... wow.
It's really, really simple actually.
People can't be demoted during the season, but they can be promoted, that means that during the season there are more players than it should in higher leagues. So at the beginning of each season, many people in higher leagues get demoted.
Of course you get demoted only if you are at the bottom of your league. And don't start telling things like "b-but I was top 8" it doesn't mean anything.


The reason this thread appears is simple, as you say, and for the reason you say as well. Generally, the players who post that they were demoted at the start of the following season are the ones who would have been demoted midseason had demotions not been disabled.

Some have questioned why midseason demotions are disabled at all, and ask what purpose that change serves. I think that's equally simple. Without any evidence or metrics to back me up, I'd guess that a lot of players who saw the demotion message midseason probably just gave up for the rest of the season. "Screw this game, I'll just try again next season." With MMR decay introduced at the same time, that probably would have made things even more confusing because players could get demoted potentially multiple leagues after a single game following an inactivity period. So, since season rolls are times of great uncertainty for the community anyway, just postpone any demotions until then.
Moderator
DjayEl
Profile Joined August 2010
France252 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-04-16 16:36:11
April 16 2014 16:34 GMT
#154
On April 17 2014 01:10 Excalibur_Z wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 16 2014 23:41 KingAlphard wrote:
Every season this thread appears... wow.
It's really, really simple actually.
People can't be demoted during the season, but they can be promoted, that means that during the season there are more players than it should in higher leagues. So at the beginning of each season, many people in higher leagues get demoted.
Of course you get demoted only if you are at the bottom of your league. And don't start telling things like "b-but I was top 8" it doesn't mean anything.


The reason this thread appears is simple, as you say, and for the reason you say as well. Generally, the players who post that they were demoted at the start of the following season are the ones who would have been demoted midseason had demotions not been disabled.

Some have questioned why midseason demotions are disabled at all, and ask what purpose that change serves. I think that's equally simple. Without any evidence or metrics to back me up, I'd guess that a lot of players who saw the demotion message midseason probably just gave up for the rest of the season. "Screw this game, I'll just try again next season." With MMR decay introduced at the same time, that probably would have made things even more confusing because players could get demoted potentially multiple leagues after a single game following an inactivity period. So, since season rolls are times of great uncertainty for the community anyway, just postpone any demotions until then.



It just does not work like that and I have evidence of this. I started last season in plat due to MMR decay and won my way back to diamond with a 60% win ratio. Then my win ratio started to stabilize around 53% as I took more losses, but NEVER EVER get below 53%. Yes I was in top diamond, and no I don't give a f*ng crap it still means I'm in the bottom of my league, cause my win ratio was above 50% and my opponents were tough. I played every day and got 350+ games played, so no MMR decay should happen.

Yet, I won my placement match and got placed into plat again, facing bad players (plats, even golds, true ones not guys who decayed or some crap), thus my ratio is now above 60% as I start climbing again (70% against some races), and only in top plat I started facing opponents who took me games.

This whole 'its the same thing league mean nothing, just play' beautiful theory is awesome, but it does not explain my situation. Why would I face worse opponents just because of the season change ? That does not make sense. If my MMR is the same, then I should be around 50% all the time, no matter my league placement.

And I can hear some pleople go on with their "just play then you'll get back in diamond in no time", well no. I payed good money for a game which ranking system doesn't work like adverstised, Blizzard owes me an explanation. It was like that the 3 previous seasons. Either they change this or communicate better on this, but something is obviously affecting my MMR down beside the supposed decay (not possible, I play every day) or me loosing too much (never went on a loose streak, never went under the 50% win ratio).

Upping MMR takes time and commitment, even if I can "get back" to diamond, why would I be happy to get my hard-earned points (MMR points) just vanish like this for no reason. Its like you play the shit ouf of the game, struggling each game, investing time and energy, and all of the sudden the system says "BAM here is 20 free losses for you" (again, NOT MMR decay, or not in the way it should happen by common knowledge). And the argument would be "just get back where you were, EZPZ!". You would'nt autoquit 20 times in Ranked ladder just for the lulz and then try to re-win everything because you love wasting your time, would you? I don't either.

Something is obviously horribly wrong with this system and right now I'm fed up with Blizzard. Yes, I play for fun cause I love the games not only for the point, but hell why would you use a ranking system then if it does not even work like a proper ranking system ? Half of the season I must take time to "rewin" my points, I'm done with that shit.

Fuck Blizzard.

Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
April 16 2014 16:44 GMT
#155
Some people really care about those points after a match, I guess.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27460 Posts
April 16 2014 16:48 GMT
#156
That's blatantly not what people are complaining about though lol
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
April 16 2014 16:59 GMT
#157
People are talking about demotions they likely would have gotten mid season, but didn't. Or they took a break and got some MMR decay. I know people don't like getting demoted, but I would rather always be clbing than come back after 4 weeks off and get slapped around.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
bosshd
Profile Blog Joined February 2014
Belgium72 Posts
April 16 2014 17:11 GMT
#158
Yes was solid mid master, dia lol
Team Redbloods Co-leader & Openclan Leader
Kevin_Sorbo
Profile Joined November 2011
Canada3217 Posts
April 16 2014 17:11 GMT
#159
I like how you patronize the players complaining in this thread but you dont seem to play yourself.

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/profile/708564/1/Plansix/
The mind is like a parachute, it doesnt work unless its open. - Zappa
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
April 16 2014 17:17 GMT
#160
I don't play ranked any more, I don't have time. I can barely get in a game or two of dota during a busy week. But when I did play a lot, getting demoted was just a thing that happened. It was a bummer, but I never when full emo and decided to quit the game. At worst I alt tabed and got a cookie in protest.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 10 14 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
QMC Community Tournament 1
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 185
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 1938
GuemChi 1398
NotJumperer 144
910 75
Bale 32
ajuk12(nOOB) 19
Terrorterran 13
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm183
febbydoto14
Counter-Strike
taco 476
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King45
Other Games
summit1g8000
Doublelift1818
JimRising 593
C9.Mang0367
PiGStarcraft293
WinterStarcraft269
Coldzera 248
Maynarde114
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1028
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream21
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Letter1410
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo647
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
6h 25m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
7h 25m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
20h 25m
Patches Events
1d 12h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.