• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 01:25
CEST 07:25
KST 14:25
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon102Weekly Cups (Aug 30-Sep 7): herO thrives amid growing schism10
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) Blizzard Classic Cup @ BlizzCon 2026 - $100k prize pool
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ StarCraft Human 'N' AI League
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 11110 users

Study: Players start slowing down at age 24

Forum Index > SC2 General
192 CommentsPost a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 8 9 10 Next All
CrushDog5
Profile Joined March 2010
Canada207 Posts
April 10 2014 22:55 GMT
#1
We've published a new paper based on the SkillCraft data from a couple years ago.

Download here

Here is the abstract:

Typically studies of the effects of aging on cognitive-motor performance emphasize changes in elderly populations. Although some research is directly concerned with when age-related decline actually begins, studies are often based on relatively simple reaction time tasks, making it impossible to gauge the impact of experience in compensating for this decline in a real world task. The present study investigates age-related changes in cognitive motor performance through adolescence and adulthood in a complex real world task, the real-time strategy video game StarCraft 2. In this paper we analyze the influence of age on performance using a dataset of 3,305 players, aged 16-44, collected by Thompson, Blair, Chen & Henrey [1]. Using a piecewise regression analysis, we find that age-related slowing of within-game, self-initiated response times begins at 24 years of age. We find no evidence for the common belief expertise should attenuate domain-specific cognitive decline. Domain-specific response time declines appear to persist regardless of skill level. A second analysis of dual-task performance finds no evidence of a corresponding age-related decline. Finally, an exploratory analyses of other age-related differences suggests that older participants may have been compensating for a loss in response speed through the use of game mechanics that reduce cognitive load.


The SkillCraft project is ongoing, and we have several interesting things in the works.

I'll answer questions if people have them.

Thanks to all the players who contributed games to the project.
Facebook Twitter Reddit
SkillCraft.com - StarCraft + Science
loft
Profile Joined July 2009
United States344 Posts
April 10 2014 23:06 GMT
#2
but... I have 200 APM.
SirPinky
Profile Joined February 2011
United States525 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-04-10 23:10:40
April 10 2014 23:07 GMT
#3
On April 11 2014 07:55 CrushDog5 wrote:
We've published a new paper based on the SkillCraft data from a couple years ago.

Download here

Here is the abstract:

Typically studies of the effects of aging on cognitive-motor performance emphasize changes in elderly populations. Although some research is directly concerned with when age-related decline actually begins, studies are often based on relatively simple reaction time tasks, making it impossible to gauge the impact of experience in compensating for this decline in a real world task. The present study investigates age-related changes in cognitive motor performance through adolescence and adulthood in a complex real world task, the real-time strategy video game StarCraft 2. In this paper we analyze the influence of age on performance using a dataset of 3,305 players, aged 16-44, collected by Thompson, Blair, Chen & Henrey [1]. Using a piecewise regression analysis, we find that age-related slowing of within-game, self-initiated response times begins at 24 years of age. We find no evidence for the common belief expertise should attenuate domain-specific cognitive decline. Domain-specific response time declines appear to persist regardless of skill level. A second analysis of dual-task performance finds no evidence of a corresponding age-related decline. Finally, an exploratory analyses of other age-related differences suggests that older participants may have been compensating for a loss in response speed through the use of game mechanics that reduce cognitive load.


The SkillCraft project is ongoing, and we have several interesting things in the works.

I'll answer questions if people have them.

Thanks to all the players who contributed games to the project.



Interesting study. But don't you find it coincidental that 22-24 years of age is typically when people enter the workforce fulltime and reduce the amount of time they play games like Sc2. Furthermore, being less rigorous in their playstyle, they might decide to take a more relaxed approach to the game. The benchmark for me was around 23. I appreciate the time invested in the study, but don't you think it would be more beneficial to track the same group of individuals 18-30 years of age over, perhaps, a 3-5 year period to demonstrate a true cognitive motor decline? I know you might not have that luxury. But I think the psychological maturity and stage of life is really at the crux of this observation. I have no empiracal data to prove it, just a hunch. Thanks for the contribution.

PS. I know I'm only one person but I started playing BW at 20 and now I'm 31. Even with very minor carpal tunnel in 1-hand I still have the same APM. Again, I think psychology is more involved in the study results, but that is my opinion.
How much better to get wisdom than gold; to get insight rather than silver!
Zocat
Profile Joined April 2010
Germany2229 Posts
April 10 2014 23:25 GMT
#4
Only skimmed the article (too late, too drunk!); will read tomorrow.

Stop mentioning APM. The article is about LDL.
KDot2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States1213 Posts
April 10 2014 23:26 GMT
#5
I tend to agree with sir pinky

I just find it hard to believe because in the NFL a players prime age is about 30 it does drop off fairy soon after that

I think we can all agree the NFL takes as much quick thinking and athleticism as starcraft
ETisME
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
12888 Posts
April 10 2014 23:28 GMT
#6
Interesting, I forgot how the other stats test are done but for econometric, what about other potential major variables that you might be ignoring?
Like SirPinky's comment has mentioned, job makes perfect rational explanation.

I am not sure how a normal stats would test it (been too long) but if I were to plot a model to predict a player's performance against his age, that formula will have at least several many other possibly important variables like job and then running analysis to test which are significant.
其疾如风,其徐如林,侵掠如火,不动如山,难知如阴,动如雷震。
CrushDog5
Profile Joined March 2010
Canada207 Posts
April 10 2014 23:44 GMT
#7
On April 11 2014 08:07 SirPinky wrote:

...being less rigorous in their playstyle, they might decide to take a more relaxed approach to the game. The benchmark for me was around 23.

...don't you think it would be more beneficial to track the same group of individuals 18-30 years of age over, perhaps, a 3-5 year period to demonstrate a true cognitive motor decline?

... I know I'm only one person but I started playing BW at 20 and now I'm 31. Even with very minor carpal tunnel in 1-hand I still have the same APM. Again, I think psychology is more involved in the study results, but that is my opinion.



Let me take these in turn.

1. You might expect people to take a more relaxed approach, but speed decreases with age. I guess I find it strange that 30 is more relaxed than 25, and 35 is more relaxed that 30 and so on. We have no way to rule it out, but it doesn't seem like to me.

2. I don't think it's MORE beneficial (it can be difficult to parcel out the practice from the aging), but I do think it would be a useful complement to this study. We have some data that does basically that now, but it will take some time to sort through.

3. As you note, it is a sample of one. The findings we describe in the paper are measured in thousands of players. Nevertheless, APM changes with age AND with experience. As you get better, you get faster; as you get older, you get slower. They offset each other, so it doesn't surprise me that some people's APMs do not shift much and it looks like nothing is changing. The bad news is that older is slower, the good news is that you are probably getting better!
SkillCraft.com - StarCraft + Science
dazzled
Profile Joined May 2010
United States22 Posts
April 10 2014 23:45 GMT
#8
I think the factor SirPinky brought up is too big to overlook. It's a skill that's trained. I mean, there are baseball players into their 40s and even 50s that can hit 100+ mph pitches whereas the general population could probably never even see the ball before it hits the catcher's glove. For a gaming example, there are a lot of CS players into their 30s which is probably the game that requires the fastest reaction of any of them.
BisuDagger
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Bisutopia19386 Posts
April 10 2014 23:46 GMT
#9
I have actually improved a ton recently. At 26 my typing dexterity and apm has greatly increased, but I'm also someone who matured late mentally too.
ModeratorFormer Afreeca Starleague Caster: http://afreeca.tv/ASL2ENG2
Liman
Profile Joined July 2012
Serbia681 Posts
April 10 2014 23:49 GMT
#10
I started playing starcraft at 31 lol i should be in bronze
Freelancer veteran
Kal_rA
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States2925 Posts
April 10 2014 23:50 GMT
#11
Turning 24 this year.. Guess I should go pro tonight
Jaedong.
CrushDog5
Profile Joined March 2010
Canada207 Posts
April 10 2014 23:50 GMT
#12
On April 11 2014 08:46 BisuDagger wrote:
I have actually improved a ton recently. At 26 my typing dexterity and apm has greatly increased, but I'm also someone who matured late mentally too.


I would expect that everyone ages in exactly the same way as everyone else. Remember, though, that aging and experience are independent factors. You can get better with practice, even as you get slower with age.
SkillCraft.com - StarCraft + Science
CrushDog5
Profile Joined March 2010
Canada207 Posts
April 10 2014 23:53 GMT
#13
On April 11 2014 08:45 dazzled wrote:
I think the factor SirPinky brought up is too big to overlook. It's a skill that's trained. I mean, there are baseball players into their 40s and even 50s that can hit 100+ mph pitches whereas the general population could probably never even see the ball before it hits the catcher's glove. For a gaming example, there are a lot of CS players into their 30s which is probably the game that requires the fastest reaction of any of them.


It the study we use both age and expertise in our analysis. Diamond level players are faster than Bronze as you would expect, but young Diamonds are faster than old Diamonds. Expertise does not remove the effect, they are independent factors.
SkillCraft.com - StarCraft + Science
Shikyo
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Finland33997 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-04-10 23:59:11
April 10 2014 23:58 GMT
#14
Interesting, wonder why my APM isn't down.

I was at a SSBM tournament where we had a reflex test for everyone(around 40 people) and I didn't really see any indication of this ;S
League of Legends EU West, Platinum III | Yousei Teikoku is the best thing that has ever happened to music.
forsooth
Profile Joined February 2011
United States3648 Posts
April 11 2014 00:05 GMT
#15
If the 3305 players studied were just random ladder players as opposed to professionals, I would take the study with a large grain of salt. As SirPinky stated, a major factor to consider is that with age comes increased responsibilities that require more and more of a person's time, which in turn puts them out of practice and makes them slower when they do in fact play. It's basically the muscle memory factor at work. You do something over and over again frequently and you start to do it better and faster, but if you stop for a while or don't do it as much, you start to slow down because you have to consciously consider what you're doing again. For instance, the amount of SC I play has decreased drastically over the years, from a constant 2 hours a day in my mid-teens to maybe a few times a month now. The result? I'm fucking slow as shit compared to 10 years ago. Conversely, the amount of typing I do on a daily basis has remained more or less constant over that time span and I'm a much faster and more accurate typist now than I was at the same age.
unit
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States2621 Posts
April 11 2014 00:16 GMT
#16
On April 11 2014 08:07 SirPinky wrote:
Interesting study. But don't you find it coincidental that 22-24 years of age is typically when people enter the workforce fulltime and reduce the amount of time they play games like Sc2. Furthermore, being less rigorous in their playstyle, they might decide to take a more relaxed approach to the game. The benchmark for me was around 23. I appreciate the time invested in the study, but don't you think it would be more beneficial to track the same group of individuals 18-30 years of age over, perhaps, a 3-5 year period to demonstrate a true cognitive motor decline? I know you might not have that luxury. But I think the psychological maturity and stage of life is really at the crux of this observation. I have no empiracal data to prove it, just a hunch. Thanks for the contribution.

PS. I know I'm only one person but I started playing BW at 20 and now I'm 31. Even with very minor carpal tunnel in 1-hand I still have the same APM. Again, I think psychology is more involved in the study results, but that is my opinion.


I agree with this, I was a mid leveled BW player (bounced around the C ranks on iCCup) and then a solid sc2 player (peaked top masters playing vs GM occasionally (NA server)) Before I went to university and started working, losing the free time available to play sc I lost passion for it and my skill naturally declined because I was playing less and I was playing with less focus.
darkscream
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Canada2310 Posts
April 11 2014 00:38 GMT
#17
older participants may have been compensating for a loss in response speed through the use of game mechanics that reduce cognitive load.


yes, yes.

I'm happy to see this come along, A lot of people are impatient but proper number crunching takes time and they have unrealistic expectations about your academic approach. Then again, esports, broken promises, etc. Still, time to geek out!

I really agree with the quoted statement especially, because it ties in with a core value of starcraft or RTS in general:
You can do things with speed, and you give up efficiency and accuracy. It can apply to any unit or strategy or micro or whatever, the point is that someone with 500APM vs someone with 250APM doesn't necessarily represent a 50% handicap in overall skill. Setting aside race differences and assuming they're playing at the same "level" (Top of WCS, or whatever standard you choose), the guy with 250APM has ways to solve problems with fewer actions. Do those command patterns get the same value as the guy with twice as many commands? Maybe or maybe not, but if he wins it obviously worked.

Interesting to see that older players get slower, but seem to get, would you say, "wiser"?
SirPinky
Profile Joined February 2011
United States525 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-04-11 00:49:44
April 11 2014 00:48 GMT
#18
On April 11 2014 08:44 CrushDog5 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 11 2014 08:07 SirPinky wrote:

...being less rigorous in their playstyle, they might decide to take a more relaxed approach to the game. The benchmark for me was around 23.

...don't you think it would be more beneficial to track the same group of individuals 18-30 years of age over, perhaps, a 3-5 year period to demonstrate a true cognitive motor decline?

... I know I'm only one person but I started playing BW at 20 and now I'm 31. Even with very minor carpal tunnel in 1-hand I still have the same APM. Again, I think psychology is more involved in the study results, but that is my opinion.



Let me take these in turn.

1. You might expect people to take a more relaxed approach, but speed decreases with age. I guess I find it strange that 30 is more relaxed than 25, and 35 is more relaxed that 30 and so on. We have no way to rule it out, but it doesn't seem like to me.

2. I don't think it's MORE beneficial (it can be difficult to parcel out the practice from the aging), but I do think it would be a useful complement to this study. We have some data that does basically that now, but it will take some time to sort through.

3. As you note, it is a sample of one. The findings we describe in the paper are measured in thousands of players. Nevertheless, APM changes with age AND with experience. As you get better, you get faster; as you get older, you get slower. They offset each other, so it doesn't surprise me that some people's APMs do not shift much and it looks like nothing is changing. The bad news is that older is slower, the good news is that you are probably getting better!


As for #1 you have to look at what method you are using for the baseline of your study: An RTS game. With that you have to examine how long RTS games have really been mainstream. A majority of them emerged in the mid 90's with games like Warcraft and WC 2. At the time, most players were in their mid or early teens (including myself). This was the fundamental beginning for people understanding "mechanics". Also, as for the psychology of the time, people were playing them for fun - there was no such thing as E-Sports so naturally people typically used mouse clicks more frequently and 1-2 hotkey for making buildings; but the concept and speed of RTS became ingrained at a young age. So where am I going with this? As you get older in age the likelihood you had any exposure to RTS games dramatically shrinks. Making exposure to fundamental mechanics, at an early age, unlikely. I know people in their 50's that take 10 minutes compose two sentences on a keyboard. Does that mean they are slow? No, only that they were not exposed to computers at a young age. Same applies to RTS mechanics. This I believe, combined with pshychological maturity and stages of life speaks to the APM decline in age. It's not that I don't find the study valid and interesting, just my interpretation of the data is different; especially since you are using a video game (specifically RTS) which really only emerged around 15 years ago.
How much better to get wisdom than gold; to get insight rather than silver!
felisconcolori
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
United States6169 Posts
April 11 2014 00:56 GMT
#19
Not much of a surprise - there's a reason why "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" (not quite true), and why you don't see Nestea and White-Ra using greater wisdom to dominate younger players.

The study addresses the age and responsibility question SirPinky brought up - if both players are otherwise equal, the younger player has an edge. Anecdotally, look at the scene - can you name any competitive player that is consistently hitting the top 8 of the major tournaments and over 30? (Don't suggest MC; he's only 23.)

There may be some variance in the observations, but it all hangs together pretty well. Further study would be welcome, no doubt, but the results appear to be pretty solid.

Also, great use of SC2 as an investigative tool.
Yes, I email sponsors... to thank them. Don't post drunk, kids. My king, what has become of you?
Cheren
Profile Blog Joined September 2013
United States2911 Posts
April 11 2014 01:03 GMT
#20
On April 11 2014 09:56 felisconcolori wrote:
Not much of a surprise - there's a reason why "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" (not quite true), and why you don't see Nestea and White-Ra using greater wisdom to dominate younger players.

The study addresses the age and responsibility question SirPinky brought up - if both players are otherwise equal, the younger player has an edge. Anecdotally, look at the scene - can you name any competitive player that is consistently hitting the top 8 of the major tournaments and over 30? (Don't suggest MC; he's only 23.)

There may be some variance in the observations, but it all hangs together pretty well. Further study would be welcome, no doubt, but the results appear to be pretty solid.

Also, great use of SC2 as an investigative tool.


Bomber had a great year last year at age 25, Polt is 25, Hyun is 26.

I think the reason there are so few pros in their late 20's is because SC2 came out in 2010, so someone who is 28 would have been 24 at release, not many people are going to pick up a new game and go pro at 24.
1 2 3 4 5 8 9 10 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
00:00
2026 GSTL: Grand Finals
CranKy Ducklings117
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
23:00
OSC Masters Cup #151 Qualifier
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
NeuroSwarm 175
StarCraft: Brood War
soO 339
hero 313
BeSt 233
sorry 58
Mind 31
Bale 18
Terrorterran 18
ZergMaN 11
Noble 10
yabsab 9
[ Show more ]
Icarus 6
Dota 2
monkeys_forever1040
League of Legends
JimRising 698
Counter-Strike
taco 390
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King182
Other Games
summit1g9595
Maynarde192
RuFF_SC2103
ArmadaUGS24
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick490
StarCraft: Brood War
Kim Chul Min (afreeca) 7
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH347
• practicex 35
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 3
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2174
League of Legends
• Rush1288
• Stunt374
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
4h 35m
Soma vs Jaedong
WardiTV Weekly
5h 35m
Monday Night Weeklies
10h 35m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 4h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 4h
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 18h
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
FEL
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.