• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:48
CEST 22:48
KST 05:48
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site Bot on ladder BW General Discussion BSL Season 23 Klaucher discontinued / in-game color settings
Tourneys
2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8750 users

IEM World Championship to be Winner Takes All for $100,000…

Forum Index > SC2 General
1003 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 39 40 41 42 43 51 Next
Dingodile
Profile Joined December 2011
4139 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-01-28 10:30:19
January 28 2014 10:29 GMT
#801
On January 28 2014 18:32 Tchado wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 28 2014 07:09 Musicus wrote:
Just some more opinions:

+ Show Spoiler +









She does make a point , but my guts tell me if her husband had a chance of winning her opinion would've been different.

Apparently Grubby made the biggest influence to Blizzard for the prizepool WCS 2013. WCS 2013 had like GSL distrubution until Grubby wrote a blog about it.
Grubby | ToD | Moon | Lyn | Sky
75
Profile Joined December 2012
Germany4057 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-01-28 10:32:28
January 28 2014 10:31 GMT
#802
i like it as a viewer. but i hope there wont be other tournaments that are copying that, it just sucks too much for the players.
yo twitch, as long as I can watch 480p lagfree I'm happy
cavallone009
Profile Joined July 2011
24 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-01-28 10:58:47
January 28 2014 10:34 GMT
#803
SEA and Oceania players and personalities reaction to announcement:

"It is unfair for the players, but since its IEM's tournament anniversary, they can do whatever they want. But I'm sure it'll have good games The event format itself will bring hype, its just the matter of whom they will invite. I would like to see my favorites though, [namely] Alliance.Naniwa, SKT.Parting, [and] Mill.BabyKnight." - IPT.Heartz


"As a fan and an observer who will be watching, I think it would be one of the most entertaining tourneys ever in SC2. Just thinking about the pressure the players will have to go through is immensely exciting already. But from a player's point of view, I think it sucks, [since] only 1 out of 16 will get any money for practicing their hearts out and travelling to Poland. Overall, I'm ecstatic about watching the said event." - MSIEvoGT.Dane


"I can understand why they want to try it, however I'm not a fan of top heavy prizepools. A decent spread to as many players as possible is fairer, and a better reward for the time invested into the game." - Eddie


"Honestly, I don't really have any issue with the format. When I first heard about it I thought it was really silly, until I found out that ESL will be paying flights/accommodation of qualified players. That changes a lot, in my opinion as the initial thought I had was that teams won't bother sending players to such a crazy price structure, since the chances of winning even for the best player wouldn't be high enough for the investment to send them there. Since all qualified players will be getting flights and accommodation paid, I think its a cool idea - although I hope it's just a one off!" - fray`Fenner


"I think it's a really daring and bold thing IEM are doing. I think players are going to be upset but the fans are going to LOVE it. Friends of mine who haven't watched SC2 in a ages are telling me they're gonna tune in to watch it. I think with the amount of tournaments going around, and the fact that it's a once off and business as usual after the final that it's a really good idea (as a fan). I think an organization like ESL that has put so much money into the scene this year are perfectly entitled to do something crazy like this and pull it off." - Maynarde


Taken from: http://www.mineski.net/news/2741-iem-world-championship-to-be-100-000-winner-takes-all-tournament
Dingodile
Profile Joined December 2011
4139 Posts
January 28 2014 10:34 GMT
#804
On January 28 2014 19:16 ScoutWBF wrote:
"IEM World Championship to be Korean player Takes All for $100,000"

Non-Koreans already whining because they know that don't have a chance at winning the whole thing.
It's not even a joke. ~_~

I am sure many people like this "take all" if it was 15k€. But 100k is just unfair.
Grubby | ToD | Moon | Lyn | Sky
soerenman
Profile Joined January 2014
Germany6 Posts
January 28 2014 10:34 GMT
#805
that destroys esport but is an good copy of current society, boundlessness for less people and nothing for the big rest.. wrong way.. beyond the shine there will be darkness
Green_25
Profile Joined June 2013
Great Britain696 Posts
January 28 2014 10:43 GMT
#806
I like this as a fan, however most of the prize money will be split behind close doors. Still cool however, makes things way more tense
Tchado
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Jordan1831 Posts
January 28 2014 10:57 GMT
#807
On January 28 2014 19:03 LongShot27 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 28 2014 18:32 Tchado wrote:
On January 28 2014 07:09 Musicus wrote:
Just some more opinions:

+ Show Spoiler +

https://twitter.com/LiquidRet/status/427925730547073024

https://twitter.com/LiquidRet/status/427926063553855488


https://twitter.com/followcassandra/status/427925312119508993


She does make a point , but my guts tell me if her husband had a chance of winning her opinion would've been different.


If one of the guys who posted a negative tweet wins, get ready for the "I was just kidding! Winner takes all is the best format!" stuff afterward


true to that my brother
Dodgin
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
Canada39254 Posts
January 28 2014 11:03 GMT
#808
On January 28 2014 18:04 Liquid`Nazgul wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 28 2014 06:06 Carmac wrote:
On January 28 2014 05:21 Carmac wrote:
On January 28 2014 04:22 Liquid`Nazgul wrote:
It's hard to be negative about a $100k announcement but this is just bad.


If you like flat prize distributions, you should send your best players to events that have them.


To clarify, I meant: "you should have sent your best players to events that have them."

You mean the tournaments where travel funds were included in the public prizemoney numbers?

Yeah I sent about 10 players there just in the last year.


You're saying that a tournament announces X prize pool, say 50k, and 25k of that is actually paying for travel and not prize money?
Zinnwaldite
Profile Joined August 2010
Norway1567 Posts
January 28 2014 11:05 GMT
#809
Too much negativity,, should be a fun thing, as long as it does not become common practice.
We promise with a view to hope, but the reason to "accomplish" what we promised would be fear.
Lorch
Profile Joined June 2011
Germany3711 Posts
January 28 2014 12:24 GMT
#810
You guys make it sound like IEM paying for travel + hotel means these Progamers who don't come 1st have nothing to loose. That is so not true, and sadly we don't have enough players who take stops from traveling to practice for most people to get this. Traveling to ANY tournament pretty much means that you loose about a week of practice and for most of these guys you also fucking with your sleeping rhythm. TBH if I knew my chances of getting 1st were very slim and I had enough honor to not agree to some splitt I would probably deny participation in this. I'd much rather use that one week to practice to get into the money at another tournament. I mean I always thought dreamhack was bad for only paying out top 8 (I think), but this is just beyond terrible. Besides who does WCS really provide for? In Korea it means that most players only have a chance to play in individual tournaments 3 times a year and most of the mainstays in code s are actually on teams that pay them a decent salary, I'd say the old 5+ seasons per year GSL did a better job at allowing koreans to do this full time (especially esf/ex-esf who often don't have much of a salary) than what WCS KR is doing. WCS NA is full of Koreans on foreign teams (aka those with some of the best salaries in the business anyways), so basically the argument off "WCS now provides for the players" only holds true for EU, where both Premier and Challenger are full of EU players. Still even there a decent amount of the prize money from last year went to people like MC or MVP who already made a ton in star 2.

I usually try to watch these IEMs as there are usually enough Koreans to make this worth watching (if it's not somewhere in Asia as those times are just beyond terrible for Europe), but I think I'll just not tune into this one as I don't really enjoy seeing a bunch of my favorite players wasting their time.
ShadowPie
Profile Joined January 2014
Sweden19 Posts
January 28 2014 12:34 GMT
#811
I really dont see why there is so much negativity surrounding this. IEM wants to celebrate with a special (unique) event and they are paying for all the players travel and accomodation. So basicly the players get a "free" shot at 100k, IEM gets a lot of hype and we get extremely tense matches since everyone will be playing 150%.

I understand, and agree, that this is bad as a regular format but they have said many times that this is not to be the case. Give the guys some slack and enjoy!
Fjodorov
Profile Joined December 2011
5007 Posts
January 28 2014 12:44 GMT
#812
On January 28 2014 21:34 ShadowPie wrote:
I really dont see why there is so much negativity surrounding this. IEM wants to celebrate with a special (unique) event and they are paying for all the players travel and accomodation. So basicly the players get a "free" shot at 100k, IEM gets a lot of hype and we get extremely tense matches since everyone will be playing 150%.

I understand, and agree, that this is bad as a regular format but they have said many times that this is not to be the case. Give the guys some slack and enjoy!


Yeah cuz who in their right mind would play to the best of their abilities if 1st prize was, lets say 60k....
Dingodile
Profile Joined December 2011
4139 Posts
January 28 2014 12:47 GMT
#813
On January 28 2014 21:34 ShadowPie wrote:
I really dont see why there is so much negativity surrounding this. IEM wants to celebrate with a special (unique) event and they are paying for all the players travel and accomodation. So basicly the players get a "free" shot at 100k, IEM gets a lot of hype and we get extremely tense matches since everyone will be playing 150%.

I understand, and agree, that this is bad as a regular format but they have said many times that this is not to be the case. Give the guys some slack and enjoy!

Do you know what the worst part is? 2nd pace is worse than 3rd or 8th in that tournament. 2nd pace shoud be more rewarded than 3rd orh 8th.
Grubby | ToD | Moon | Lyn | Sky
random hero
Profile Joined October 2013
Germany31 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-01-28 12:50:29
January 28 2014 12:48 GMT
#814
The format fits well into a world where the richest 85 people own as much as 3,500,000,000 poor people. This might be off-topic though!

I don't like the format, really, but it could be alright for a one-time thing. The fact that all participants get free flights and accomodation makes it at least acceptable. When I just saw the headline I thought "this is complete bullshit", but there are some aspects to it in the organizers explanations that I do find intriguing. The whole idea is pretty joker-esque, or has a feel of ancient roman gladaitor games. Lets throw a lot of money and fame to the winner, nothing but death for the rest, and lets watch them cracking their heads open. Not very civilized, but surely spectacular.
I like how they hint towards the possibility of players splitting the money, or not doing so. It's a forced state of anarchy. This opens a lot of possible storylines. Will they player split and together overcome the evil villain? Will there be terrible betrayal, broken promises, heroic givings? Will sniper end up taking everybodys dollars?

IEM sets itselve up as some kind of evil mastermind playing a devilish game, to prove to everybody that they 're not any better. They put the value of humanity in question. How do people handle a situation of anarchy? Will they fuck each other over, as joker (or history) would suggest, or will there be a flash of goodness? If they go with that theme throughout the event, it could become an incredibly atmospheric event, memorable like Iron Squid. Not just another sports event, but something deepr, a story about the value of people, a story that will be talked about for a long time, one way or another. If it works out that way, I would be pleased with the idea, and they deserved the respect for taking the risk.

1984 is now
Flamehaze
Profile Joined May 2008
Poland67 Posts
January 28 2014 12:50 GMT
#815
Korean progamer reading IEM decision thinks:Sweet i can win 100k best tournament ever.
Foreign progamer : Fuck IEM, lets blackmail them and not come we cant win anyway.
ETisME
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
12888 Posts
January 28 2014 12:56 GMT
#816
On January 28 2014 21:50 Flamehaze wrote:
Highly skilled progamer reading IEM decision thinks:Sweet i can win 100k best tournament ever.
other progamers : Fuck IEM, lets blackmail them and not come we cant win anyway.

fixed for you :D

But seriously, I would love this to become a standard small sized tournament in between each big tournaments.
Adds a bit more variety to the experience
其疾如风,其徐如林,侵掠如火,不动如山,难知如阴,动如雷震。
Darkhorse
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
United States23455 Posts
January 28 2014 13:03 GMT
#817
On January 28 2014 21:34 ShadowPie wrote:
I really dont see why there is so much negativity surrounding this. IEM wants to celebrate with a special (unique) event and they are paying for all the players travel and accomodation. So basicly the players get a "free" shot at 100k, IEM gets a lot of hype and we get extremely tense matches since everyone will be playing 150%.

I understand, and agree, that this is bad as a regular format but they have said many times that this is not to be the case. Give the guys some slack and enjoy!

What is up with everyone saying things like, "it will make players play 150%" or "we'll see the best matches yet". Do people really think we haven't seen anyone truly playing their best because we haven't had a winner take all tournament? Every competition thus far has been a farce because the finalists didn't try as hard knowing they would still get some money in the end by this logic.
WriterRecently Necro'd (?)
AlternativeEgo
Profile Joined August 2011
Sweden17309 Posts
January 28 2014 13:14 GMT
#818
On January 28 2014 21:24 Lorch wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
You guys make it sound like IEM paying for travel + hotel means these Progamers who don't come 1st have nothing to loose. That is so not true, and sadly we don't have enough players who take stops from traveling to practice for most people to get this. Traveling to ANY tournament pretty much means that you loose about a week of practice and for most of these guys you also fucking with your sleeping rhythm. TBH if I knew my chances of getting 1st were very slim and I had enough honor to not agree to some splitt I would probably deny participation in this. I'd much rather use that one week to practice to get into the money at another tournament. I mean I always thought dreamhack was bad for only paying out top 8 (I think), but this is just beyond terrible. Besides who does WCS really provide for? In Korea it means that most players only have a chance to play in individual tournaments 3 times a year and most of the mainstays in code s are actually on teams that pay them a decent salary, I'd say the old 5+ seasons per year GSL did a better job at allowing koreans to do this full time (especially esf/ex-esf who often don't have much of a salary) than what WCS KR is doing. WCS NA is full of Koreans on foreign teams (aka those with some of the best salaries in the business anyways), so basically the argument off "WCS now provides for the players" only holds true for EU, where both Premier and Challenger are full of EU players. Still even there a decent amount of the prize money from last year went to people like MC or MVP who already made a ton in star 2.


I usually try to watch these IEMs as there are usually enough Koreans to make this worth watching (if it's not somewhere in Asia as those times are just beyond terrible for Europe), but I think I'll just not tune into this one as I don't really enjoy seeing a bunch of my favorite players wasting their time.


The ones who gets knocked out will still have had some prime stage time to represent their teams and sponsors (which one might say is more important for the bigger picture than prize money) so I wouldn't call it a complete waste. And the more who watch the better.
Mark Munoz looks like Gretorp
Lorch
Profile Joined June 2011
Germany3711 Posts
January 28 2014 13:45 GMT
#819
On January 28 2014 22:14 AlternativeEgo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 28 2014 21:24 Lorch wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
You guys make it sound like IEM paying for travel + hotel means these Progamers who don't come 1st have nothing to loose. That is so not true, and sadly we don't have enough players who take stops from traveling to practice for most people to get this. Traveling to ANY tournament pretty much means that you loose about a week of practice and for most of these guys you also fucking with your sleeping rhythm. TBH if I knew my chances of getting 1st were very slim and I had enough honor to not agree to some splitt I would probably deny participation in this. I'd much rather use that one week to practice to get into the money at another tournament. I mean I always thought dreamhack was bad for only paying out top 8 (I think), but this is just beyond terrible. Besides who does WCS really provide for? In Korea it means that most players only have a chance to play in individual tournaments 3 times a year and most of the mainstays in code s are actually on teams that pay them a decent salary, I'd say the old 5+ seasons per year GSL did a better job at allowing koreans to do this full time (especially esf/ex-esf who often don't have much of a salary) than what WCS KR is doing. WCS NA is full of Koreans on foreign teams (aka those with some of the best salaries in the business anyways), so basically the argument off "WCS now provides for the players" only holds true for EU, where both Premier and Challenger are full of EU players. Still even there a decent amount of the prize money from last year went to people like MC or MVP who already made a ton in star 2.


I usually try to watch these IEMs as there are usually enough Koreans to make this worth watching (if it's not somewhere in Asia as those times are just beyond terrible for Europe), but I think I'll just not tune into this one as I don't really enjoy seeing a bunch of my favorite players wasting their time.


The ones who gets knocked out will still have had some prime stage time to represent their teams and sponsors (which one might say is more important for the bigger picture than prize money) so I wouldn't call it a complete waste. And the more who watch the better.


Sadly I don't watch these guys play to see them expose their sponsors/team and to me any progamer who actually does this for the competition (not everyone is stephano) who does not have a good shot of getting first will waste their time at IEM. Pretty much any progamer gets more out of a week of practice than traveling to an event, and with this the chances of even making money are really bad for most.
HaRuHi
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
1220 Posts
January 28 2014 14:17 GMT
#820
It's their anniversary. Maybe it can attract some new viewers to sc2, of course they are pissing off everyone who is already a sc2 fan.
Prev 1 39 40 41 42 43 51 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL: Ladder Tournament
04:00
#2 - $100
ZZZero.O29
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
JuggernautJason119
Railgan 60
SpeCial 32
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 16246
Dewaltoss 144
Hyuk 113
firebathero 99
ZZZero.O 29
Terrorterran 20
Mini 19
Dota 2
febbydoto28
League of Legends
Doublelift3024
Counter-Strike
Fnx 905
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5562
crisheroes894
Other Games
summit1g5708
FrodaN2606
fl0m892
Beastyqt873
mouzStarbuck441
KnowMe308
ArmadaUGS133
ToD118
Mew2King47
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1191
BasetradeTV192
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream66
[ Show 17 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• printf 93
• Adnapsc2 24
• musti20045 4
• Letter143
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 45
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 11589
Other Games
• imaqtpie848
• Shiphtur223
• tFFMrPink 15
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
13h 13m
INu's Battles
15h 13m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
18h 13m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
22h 13m
BSL Open Qualifier
22h 13m
Replay Cast
1d 2h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 13h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 14h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 19h
Replay Cast
2 days
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
6 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.