• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 02:04
CEST 08:04
KST 15:04
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Where can I find Flash replays that work? Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7564 users

Popularity of LOL, SC2 and BW in Korea - Page 12

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 10 11 12 13 Next All
Genetic
Profile Joined August 2010
Canada84 Posts
May 29 2013 22:57 GMT
#221
I didn't watch the video, I'm just taking this opportunity to ask you to stop casting GSL. I'm sure you're a really nice guy, but casting is not your thing. For the love of god please stop. I'll likely be banned for this, but it's worth it if you read it. If you insist on casting, you need to stop saying what HAS happened, and start talking about what WILL happen. Sometimes you harp on an event which has occurred for 2 minutes after it has happened.

Also, if you and Wolf say "GG" together at the end of a game one more time you may as well bend him over after the match and get it over with. Sometimes I watch the GSTL on mute... I don't what what the hell else to say here. PLEASE STOP CASTING. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Probs my final post on TL.net via this account. GG.
Genetic

User was temp banned for this post.
FoxerGames
Profile Joined August 2012
Australia120 Posts
May 29 2013 22:59 GMT
#222
Man, Khaldor seems to be very accurate of what he says. When people blame their teammates and when they solo blame balance, it is so right. When I used to work at some low tier job, people blame their poorness and crap wages at management. No one ever blames themselves why they stuck with a crappy job,
I didn't want to work so I didn't.
Luppy1
Profile Joined June 2011
Singapore177 Posts
May 29 2013 23:27 GMT
#223
I doubt having to pay for the game is one of the reasons why SC2 is any less popular. WoW was never free to play in Korea and at one point, it was one of the most popular games in Korea. WoW was one of the most popular games despite having to pay for monthly subscriptions when there are really a lot of successful free to play MMOs in Korea.

Khaldor also unintentionally admitted that the game is simply not good enough when he used the excuse that there are so many other games available to the korean players. Why would players simply settle for a significantly inferior game just because it's free to play? Khaldor's excuse for SC2 can probably be used for every non free to play game out here.
jinorazi
Profile Joined October 2004
Korea (South)4948 Posts
May 29 2013 23:53 GMT
#224
i wish i liked sc2 more :/
age: 84 | location: california | sex: 잘함
Antisocialmunky
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States5913 Posts
May 30 2013 00:10 GMT
#225
Khaldor, why can I understand you so well now?!?
[゚n゚] SSSSssssssSSsss ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Marine/Raven Guide:http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=163605
jermmanDOTA
Profile Joined December 2012
Canada45 Posts
May 30 2013 00:53 GMT
#226
On May 30 2013 07:57 Genetic wrote:
I didn't watch the video, I'm just taking this opportunity to ask you to stop casting GSL. I'm sure you're a really nice guy, but casting is not your thing. For the love of god please stop. I'll likely be banned for this, but it's worth it if you read it. If you insist on casting, you need to stop saying what HAS happened, and start talking about what WILL happen. Sometimes you harp on an event which has occurred for 2 minutes after it has happened.

Also, if you and Wolf say "GG" together at the end of a game one more time you may as well bend him over after the match and get it over with. Sometimes I watch the GSTL on mute... I don't what what the hell else to say here. PLEASE STOP CASTING. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Probs my final post on TL.net via this account. GG.
Genetic

User was temp banned for this post.



This did not deserve a ban in any way, not only was he respectful, he is also completely right. Khaldor DOES say only what has happened recently on the screen and he dwells on it forever.
I exercise occult and subtle power, Carrying water, shouldering firewood.
Falling
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Canada11607 Posts
May 30 2013 00:57 GMT
#227
Take moderation complaints to website feedback. But martyring = auto temp ban.
ModeratorWake me up when Trump's term is finished. Slava Ukraini.
Manifesto7
Profile Blog Joined November 2002
Osaka27178 Posts
May 30 2013 01:55 GMT
#228
On May 30 2013 09:53 jermmanDOTA wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 30 2013 07:57 Genetic wrote:
I didn't watch the video, I'm just taking this opportunity to ask you to stop casting GSL. I'm sure you're a really nice guy, but casting is not your thing. For the love of god please stop. I'll likely be banned for this, but it's worth it if you read it. If you insist on casting, you need to stop saying what HAS happened, and start talking about what WILL happen. Sometimes you harp on an event which has occurred for 2 minutes after it has happened.

Also, if you and Wolf say "GG" together at the end of a game one more time you may as well bend him over after the match and get it over with. Sometimes I watch the GSTL on mute... I don't what what the hell else to say here. PLEASE STOP CASTING. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Probs my final post on TL.net via this account. GG.
Genetic

User was temp banned for this post.



This did not deserve a ban in any way, not only was he respectful, he is also completely right. Khaldor DOES say only what has happened recently on the screen and he dwells on it forever.


Except he was banned for saying "this will be my last post on this account" which, be ause we are like Disney and make dreams come true, is what happened.

So don't post about bans.
ModeratorGodfather
Little-Chimp
Profile Joined February 2008
Canada951 Posts
May 30 2013 03:05 GMT
#229
On May 30 2013 07:57 Genetic wrote:
I didn't watch the video, I'm just taking this opportunity to ask you to stop casting GSL. I'm sure you're a really nice guy, but casting is not your thing. For the love of god please stop. I'll likely be banned for this, but it's worth it if you read it. If you insist on casting, you need to stop saying what HAS happened, and start talking about what WILL happen. Sometimes you harp on an event which has occurred for 2 minutes after it has happened.

Also, if you and Wolf say "GG" together at the end of a game one more time you may as well bend him over after the match and get it over with. Sometimes I watch the GSTL on mute... I don't what what the hell else to say here. PLEASE STOP CASTING. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Probs my final post on TL.net via this account. GG.
Genetic

User was temp banned for this post.


gonna cancel out this shitpost by saying I like Khaldor's casting
i99
Profile Joined February 2012
United States362 Posts
May 30 2013 03:13 GMT
#230
I like Khaldor's casting too. And to be on topic, I think SC2 is just boring to watch compared to SC1, and with the fact that you have to pay for it compared to BW it makes sense that it's not as popular. Personally I don't even watch games unless I really care about the people playing them because the game itself is pretty stale in my opinion.
StarStruck
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
25339 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-30 03:37:17
May 30 2013 03:33 GMT
#231
Other than the guy blatantly asking for it (come on now) there is validity to his criticism but there is a time and place for that and it isn't in this thread. You want to give Khaldor feedback on his casting? Find his casting feedback thread. It's not hard to find and use a little more tact if you want him to actually take note of your suggestion.

I keep seeing people posting in the LR threads about the crowds or lack there of. My message has always been the same. Stop caring about the crowd and worry about yourselves. If you enjoy it, great. Show it by continuing to support the game and players. Other than that I wish everyone would get over their stupid anxieties. Accept it for what it is instead of looking for acceptance from others. If you think the crowd is boring how about you go out to an event and show your passion for the game you like to watch. No excuses; don't try to reason with it. Enjoy it for what it is and you will be better off that way.
eScaper-tsunami
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Canada313 Posts
May 30 2013 04:08 GMT
#232
On May 29 2013 22:26 CreationSoul wrote:
I don't understand we there is such a big deal about korea not liking SC2. SC2 is big in the western world. As long as koreans pros play and we as westerns can watch high quality games, I could care less if the korean public likes it.

I would rather have things as they are today, than the way things were in the BW days (BW popular in korea, but almost dead everywhere else)


If Koreans didn't invest so much time and money into BW, we won't have the SC2 we see today. Show some respect. It's because the Korean public ventured into the risky e-sports business and made it sustainable, if not profitable, is why we have what we have today for virtually any televised e-sports event.

Yes, one may argue there are other organizations that would have attempted to popularize e-sports, and many have, but many of them failed and stopped running (IGN is the most recent). If it wasn't for KeSPA who really showed a working model that created investor confidence, the SC2 scene you like so much now would most likely not have existed today.

So what would losing the Korean public mean to SC2 you ask? Well for one, the smaller your fanbase, the less competitive gamers you get out of it. I can't imagine SC2 without 90% of the Koreans progamers.
RuhRoh is my herO
jellyjello
Profile Joined March 2011
Korea (South)664 Posts
May 30 2013 04:21 GMT
#233
On May 29 2013 22:26 CreationSoul wrote:
I don't understand we there is such a big deal about korea not liking SC2. SC2 is big in the western world. As long as koreans pros play and we as westerns can watch high quality games, I could care less if the korean public likes it.

I would rather have things as they are today, than the way things were in the BW days (BW popular in korea, but almost dead everywhere else)


It's because Korea is the only place where the e-sports has proven to be a success. This is important because there is a level of certainty in regards to the sustainability of e-sports, whether it's SC2 or some other form of game.
StarStruck
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
25339 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-30 04:36:31
May 30 2013 04:35 GMT
#234
On May 30 2013 13:21 jellyjello wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 29 2013 22:26 CreationSoul wrote:
I don't understand we there is such a big deal about korea not liking SC2. SC2 is big in the western world. As long as koreans pros play and we as westerns can watch high quality games, I could care less if the korean public likes it.

I would rather have things as they are today, than the way things were in the BW days (BW popular in korea, but almost dead everywhere else)


It's because Korea is the only place where the e-sports has proven to be a success. This is important because there is a level of certainty in regards to the sustainability of e-sports, whether it's SC2 or some other form of game.


In terms of sustainability? There are several ways you can look at it. For instance, the shelf-life of most games is poor; likewise, once you peak as a pro gamer it's relatively short as well.
Patate
Profile Joined January 2011
Canada441 Posts
May 30 2013 06:21 GMT
#235
On May 29 2013 19:35 iky43210 wrote:
LoL is exciting to play, but not anywhere exciting to watch. Would rather watch paint dry than to spend an hour per game watching mostly creeps farming and fail ganking

A bo3 sc2 series also only take 30 minute total on average, while any single lol match is 40 minute minimum + champion selections. There is also huge luck factor in LoL when it comes to ganks and comp overall


How is any of this luck? if anything, there is way less uncontrolable luck in LoL. in Blind pick, sure, but people play draft pick. As for ganks, well wards exist for a reason.. saying that ganks are luck is just like SC2 being luck based if you don't scout. As for creep farming ( or rather called, the laning phase) there is way more action there than most PvZ games which are 10 minutes of macro, 2 minutes of fights, and 5 minutes of " why isn't he GGing, he lost".

Watching 10 minutes of a game just to see a winner being decided in 2 minutes is NOT exciting.
Dead game.
ssxsilver
Profile Joined June 2007
United States4409 Posts
May 30 2013 09:20 GMT
#236
As someone whose followed you back when you had hair, I was really hoping you'd tie in the largely forgotten Chinese scene into this discussion.

I know the Korean scene is the holy grail for SC, but in WC3, the Chinese scene helped sustain the game when the Euro scene started fading off. Why I'm fulling entrenched in P2P camp w/paid aesthetics is because cutting off a nation of billion people makes absolutely no sense. People may say there's no point in catering to those freeloaders, but the returns come in the form of that self-sustaining scene, tournament $$$, Chinese sponsors. When I look at the Chinese Dota 2 audience/government support, I just can't help but feel Blizzard dropped the ball on the old WC3 playerbase there.
NGrNecris
Profile Joined January 2011
New Zealand855 Posts
May 30 2013 09:28 GMT
#237
On May 30 2013 15:21 Patate wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 29 2013 19:35 iky43210 wrote:
LoL is exciting to play, but not anywhere exciting to watch. Would rather watch paint dry than to spend an hour per game watching mostly creeps farming and fail ganking

A bo3 sc2 series also only take 30 minute total on average, while any single lol match is 40 minute minimum + champion selections. There is also huge luck factor in LoL when it comes to ganks and comp overall


How is any of this luck? if anything, there is way less uncontrolable luck in LoL. in Blind pick, sure, but people play draft pick. As for ganks, well wards exist for a reason.. saying that ganks are luck is just like SC2 being luck based if you don't scout. As for creep farming ( or rather called, the laning phase) there is way more action there than most PvZ games which are 10 minutes of macro, 2 minutes of fights, and 5 minutes of " why isn't he GGing, he lost".

Watching 10 minutes of a game just to see a winner being decided in 2 minutes is NOT exciting.

haven't seen much sc2 lately but from what i recall, games that were 40mins long were decided by a 10 second, ball vs ball fight
rkffhk
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
474 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-30 09:52:28
May 30 2013 09:51 GMT
#238
In this video, Khaldor says that you -had- to buy a SC2 account in order to play and that this is the reason why SC2 wasn't as popular as Brood War.

That's bullshit and he's completely wrong.

You can play SC2 completely for free in PCbangs here and it was like that from the day SC2 was started. The only thing you pay for here in Korea is the ability to install it on your own personal computer and play it not-in-a-pcbang.

Source: Me. I've lived in Korea for years, I speak the language, and I was just as glued as everyone else when SC2 was announced on here back in '07.
"Did not realize gold was such an important threshold for people, I guess I honestly take it for granted that if people practice / invest enough time into this game then they would make diamond in no time." ~Caihead
goldenwitch
Profile Joined August 2010
United States338 Posts
May 30 2013 10:18 GMT
#239
Team games are more popular because to play a team game you have to cooperate with a team. That means more people exposed to the game PER match. Do you want to play a team game with randoms? No, you want to play with your friends. So you summon your friends, and you play together. If you do that with sc2, you have to deal with the harshness that comes from one player consistently beating another. While friendships do form with that dynamic, they are much rarer than, "LETS GET TOGETHER AND DO MINDLESS GRINDING"
TRaFFiC
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Canada1448 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-30 10:31:30
May 30 2013 10:29 GMT
#240
On May 28 2013 01:18 Apolo wrote:
I still don't get why is it that SC2's competitive side is only 1v1 and not team games as well.

Interesting post. I think the answer is there is no hype or tournaments based around the 2v2 scene. A big mistake imo. 2v2 can be very fun to watch.

In other rts games like red alert 2, being good in 2v2 won you just as much respect as being good in 1v1. In sc2, it's all about 1v1s.
2v2, 1v1, Zerg, Terran http://www.twitch.tv/trafficsc2
Prev 1 10 11 12 13 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 4h 56m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nina 148
-ZergGirl 89
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 1934
Hyuk 197
910 67
sorry 53
Yoon 38
Bale 35
NotJumperer 21
yabsab 15
ZergMaN 15
Icarus 9
[ Show more ]
Noble 6
Dota 2
LuMiX1
League of Legends
JimRising 653
Reynor48
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox620
Mew2King52
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor165
Other Games
summit1g7277
WinterStarcraft386
PiGStarcraft260
C9.Mang0235
Sick193
Livibee160
ArmadaUGS45
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick640
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream247
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2323
League of Legends
• Stunt500
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
4h 56m
Stellar Fest
6h 56m
The PondCast
1d 3h
OSC
1d 6h
Stellar Fest
1d 6h
OSC
1d 17h
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
[ Show More ]
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.