• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 22:34
CEST 04:34
KST 11:34
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach0[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon101Weekly Cups (Aug 30-Sep 7): herO thrives amid growing schism10
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) Blizzard Classic Cup @ BlizzCon 2026 - $100k prize pool The Death of Cheese: From a Professional Cheeser
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach StarCraft Human 'N' AI League
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8764 users

State of Play (Jaedong documentary) trailer - Page 22

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 20 21 22 23 24 Next All
lookfirewood
Profile Joined May 2011
1212 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-09-11 18:25:21
September 11 2013 18:23 GMT
#421
On September 11 2013 23:30 zul wrote:
it will go like this:

1. cash in money from the die-hard Jaedong fans
2. release it on youtube (after some time) and make more money from the casuals

Please dont get me wrong - I dont think this is bad, but just the way to make the most money. The release on youtube (or a similar platform) will be unavoidable, because further or later it will leak in some way. It is best for the creators to be the ones in charge, tho they can profit from it.


Just watched it yesterday on swedish national television called SVT. SVT has a documentary series called DOX, where State of Play has a showing. Maybe this is unique, I dont know, but I would not call that milking money from JD fans.
R.I.P STX 03.08.2013 never forget.
Lorch
Profile Joined June 2011
Germany3711 Posts
September 11 2013 18:28 GMT
#422
On September 11 2013 21:24 SixStrings wrote:
What? I'm supposed to pay 10 USD for a Starcraft documentary?

That much money pays for a seat in an actual cinema for any movie I'd care to see.


Seriously? You pay more for most blurays/dvds and certainly for any album cd. I say it's a fair price for 4 years of hard work.

Great documentary.
Heartland
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
Sweden24604 Posts
September 11 2013 18:41 GMT
#423
I watched it on TV last night as well. I think it's a nice story about three people and that part is very well made. However, it never really asks any bigger questions or reflects on the pro-scene in general. They never discuss in-depth the generational demands in Korea between parents of progamers and progamers themselves, or the situation where B-teamers are free labour and "practice slaves" to A-teamers. So while it is very well made in the sense that you get a beautiful portrait of three people's (and a fourth, sort of, a fangirl of Jaedong) lives it doesn't really say anything about the big picture as a whole.
Gendo
Profile Joined June 2012
United Kingdom216 Posts
September 11 2013 18:43 GMT
#424
Is God in the documentary?
Lumi
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States1616 Posts
September 11 2013 18:45 GMT
#425
I understand the concern for not wanting to pay (who doesn't, really?) but since that is legitimately not an option, as far as I'm aware, I just posted in my local Starcraft group on facebook to see if anyone wants to split the cost in half or thirds with me. This makes the price much more workable for me, thought I'd suggest as much to all of you
twitter.com/lumigaming - DongRaeGu is the One True Dong - /r/onetruedong
Heartland
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
Sweden24604 Posts
September 11 2013 18:46 GMT
#426
On September 12 2013 03:43 Gendo wrote:
Is God in the documentary?


There is a glance or two of Bisu, yes.







: )
zmsFlood
Profile Joined April 2013
Finland169 Posts
September 11 2013 18:57 GMT
#427
I needz to see dis
twitter.com/laurifalck | I don't want to get you drunk, but, ah, that's a very fine Chardonnay you're not drinking. | TLO!
TylerThaCreator
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
United States906 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-09-11 20:15:03
September 11 2013 18:57 GMT
#428
On September 12 2013 03:45 Lumi wrote:
I understand the concern for not wanting to pay (who doesn't, really?) but since that is legitimately not an option, as far as I'm aware, I just posted in my local Starcraft group on facebook to see if anyone wants to split the cost in half or thirds with me. This makes the price much more workable for me, thought I'd suggest as much to all of you


Yeah, that 10 dollar fee is such a hassle. lol.

On a side note I'm watching it right now and I'm enjoying it a lot so far (around 15 minutes or so in). I'll write some more later once I'm finished.

edit: Really touching...I know exactly what it feels to be like Yo Han (the amateur). Overall I really enjoyed the watch, definitely worth the money. Finally an esports documentary that actually was executed fairly well. I'm sure a lot of work went into it, I kinda wished I could see some gameplay but that's really not what the point of this was anyway.
aka SethN
Thorin
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
601 Posts
September 11 2013 19:09 GMT
#429
On September 12 2013 03:46 Heartland wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 12 2013 03:43 Gendo wrote:
Is God in the documentary?


There is a glance or two of Bisu, yes.







: )

Well played.
quuad
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Sweden77 Posts
September 11 2013 19:21 GMT
#430
On September 12 2013 03:23 lookfirewood wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 11 2013 23:30 zul wrote:
it will go like this:

1. cash in money from the die-hard Jaedong fans
2. release it on youtube (after some time) and make more money from the casuals

Please dont get me wrong - I dont think this is bad, but just the way to make the most money. The release on youtube (or a similar platform) will be unavoidable, because further or later it will leak in some way. It is best for the creators to be the ones in charge, tho they can profit from it.


Just watched it yesterday on swedish national television called SVT. SVT has a documentary series called DOX, where State of Play has a showing. Maybe this is unique, I dont know, but I would not call that milking money from JD fans.


It was kind of bizarre to see a big photo of team 8 when I opened up SVT play yesterday lol. I had no idea they were gonna show it.
QuailMaen
Profile Joined November 2011
Norway6 Posts
September 11 2013 19:35 GMT
#431
On September 11 2013 21:39 StarBrift wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 11 2013 11:21 blade55555 wrote:
On September 11 2013 11:02 Zenbrez wrote:
On September 11 2013 09:46 Maeldun wrote:
lol, i stopped watching when that guy's father said "your brain is not very good"

Really? Jesus.


Yeah the conversation goes "You have to be really smart to do good at those games".
"So you don't think I am smart?"
silence then "your brain is not very good".

Like that is amazingly blunt can only imagine how he felt xD


If you watch the whole thing it's very clear that his father is just messing with him. The entire family is laughing about it including the kid later in the documentary.



No, he is not messing with him. Thats how koreans are, straight up and harsh. If you are ugly, they will tell you that you are ugly. And kids get insane amount of pressure from their parents at a young age. Korea has the biggest suicide rate in the world for a reason.
- Enjoy life and be happy -
Lumi
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States1616 Posts
September 11 2013 19:42 GMT
#432
On September 12 2013 03:57 TylerThaCreator wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 12 2013 03:45 Lumi wrote:
I understand the concern for not wanting to pay (who doesn't, really?) but since that is legitimately not an option, as far as I'm aware, I just posted in my local Starcraft group on facebook to see if anyone wants to split the cost in half or thirds with me. This makes the price much more workable for me, thought I'd suggest as much to all of you


Yeah, that 10 dollar fee is such a hassle. lol.

On a side note I'm watching it right now and I'm enjoying it a lot so far (around 15 minutes or so in). I'll write some more later once I'm finished.


If it wasn't a hassle for me, then why would I be going through these efforts? That's the kind of dickish remark you wouldn't make to someone IRL, because you'd remember to be decent.
twitter.com/lumigaming - DongRaeGu is the One True Dong - /r/onetruedong
Zenbrez
Profile Joined June 2012
Canada5973 Posts
September 11 2013 19:59 GMT
#433
On September 11 2013 11:21 blade55555 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 11 2013 11:02 Zenbrez wrote:
On September 11 2013 09:46 Maeldun wrote:
lol, i stopped watching when that guy's father said "your brain is not very good"

Really? Jesus.


Yeah the conversation goes "You have to be really smart to do good at those games".
"So you don't think I am smart?"
silence then "your brain is not very good".

Like that is amazingly blunt can only imagine how he felt xD

My post was very unclear so I guess I could clarify now. I meant I was surprised that he stopped watching at that part. Seems kind of stupid to me, but to each their own.
Refer to my post.
cmgillett
Profile Joined March 2010
United States335 Posts
September 11 2013 20:55 GMT
#434
what a great documentary. buy it, watch it, support it! more of a fan of jd than ever. long live the dong!
Metak
Profile Joined August 2011
296 Posts
September 11 2013 21:07 GMT
#435
Can't complain about 10 bucks for a professional, interesting documentary and next to that you're supporting ESPORTS.
dextrin303
Profile Joined May 2011
Sweden320 Posts
September 11 2013 21:12 GMT
#436
Seeing as its free for swedes I'll give it a try
Gendo
Profile Joined June 2012
United Kingdom216 Posts
September 11 2013 22:13 GMT
#437
On September 12 2013 04:09 Thorin wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 12 2013 03:46 Heartland wrote:
On September 12 2013 03:43 Gendo wrote:
Is God in the documentary?


There is a glance or two of Bisu, yes.


: )

Well played.


Nooooo! TT
Snusmumriken
Profile Joined April 2012
Sweden1717 Posts
September 11 2013 22:43 GMT
#438
On September 12 2013 06:12 dextrin303 wrote:
Seeing as its free for swedes I'll give it a try


It was ok.

Too many shots of sleeping koreans though. Too many superflous shots overall. They couldve edited down the documentary about 20 minutes or so and gotten an easier viewing without any content lost.
Amove for Aiur
Xiphos
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Canada7507 Posts
September 12 2013 04:05 GMT
#439
Well this doc just end up aggravating me. We pretty much saw Jaedong's old confident self when MBC still existed and then we get a glimpse of his fall from grace into a docile mortal.

And then we got to see ProLeague filled with people in 2011 which depresses the shit out of any SC fans.
2014 - ᕙ( •̀ل͜•́) ϡ Raise your bows brood warriors! ᕙ( •̀ل͜•́) ϡ
askmc70
Profile Joined March 2012
United States722 Posts
September 12 2013 05:08 GMT
#440
the guy said he was trying to get it on netflix ^.^
Prev 1 20 21 22 23 24 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
00:00
2026 GSTL: Grand Finals
CranKy Ducklings98
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
23:00
OSC Masters Cup #151 Qualifier
davetesta30
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 232
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 10726
Dota 2
monkeys_forever1131
NeuroSwarm193
febbydoto26
League of Legends
Doublelift4827
JimRising 673
Counter-Strike
taco 96
minikerr27
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox912
Mew2King35
Other Games
summit1g9620
Maynarde208
ArmadaUGS57
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick401
StarCraft: Brood War
Kim Chul Min (afreeca) 9
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 205
• Letter147
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo458
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
7h 27m
Soma vs Jaedong
WardiTV Weekly
8h 27m
Monday Night Weeklies
13h 27m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 7h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 7h
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 21h
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
FEL
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.