• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 13:56
CEST 19:56
KST 02:56
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon108
StarCraft 2
General
Updated Continental Flags System & New Global Flag StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9023 users

A Critique of SC2 Broadcasting Production - Page 5

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All
Jarree
Profile Joined January 2012
Finland1004 Posts
April 13 2013 17:53 GMT
#81
On April 14 2013 00:43 Falling wrote:
People like Tastosis' banter, no question. But do people like every other combos banter equally?

Obviously no. Tastosis & day9 are so big fan favorites it doesn't matter what they do people love it. If there was a stream "watch paint dry with Day9", it would still have a huge audience.
bongling
Profile Joined March 2013
41 Posts
April 13 2013 18:00 GMT
#82
I enjoy the banter, the lion piss thing still tickles me but agree they sometimes go overboard with random topics that seem purely to kill time, and take away from the game. They don't have to do an intense play by play of a standard reaper opening, but having some useful stats, inside knowledge of teams, or styles, or even some history would be nice. Just need to refine the balance I think, and use the quiet times to educate noobs like me a little more while keeping the chemistry flowing.

I like the concept of split screen, but at the last MLG I didn't really like it, execution looked a little off but am glad they're trying it. I did like the post game analysis, think Day9 did the best job of breaking critical spots down informatively but so that noobs could get it too and increase their understanding of the game.
sixfour
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
England11062 Posts
April 13 2013 18:02 GMT
#83
Just listen to test match special when it's raining and go from there
p: stats, horang2, free, jangbi z: soulkey, zero, shine, hydra t: leta, hiya, sea
Thalandros
Profile Blog Joined July 2012
Netherlands1151 Posts
April 13 2013 19:39 GMT
#84
On April 13 2013 12:34 rename wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 13 2013 11:48 IAmSlide wrote:
Imagine if instead of talking about what their favorite RPG is, they showed and discussed a graphic like the one below.


At some point, it would get much more boring.
There is a limit on how much stats most people can care about, and some people dont want statistics at all.

Also when i followed x-country skiing there was plenty of yapping about weather, scenery and what happened to this athlete at his hotel room, and so on so starcraft is not alone in filling downtime with chitchat.

... that said, it would be nice if casters could pull up stats on demand every now and then to talk about those - some of that downtime could indeed use more stats.



I completely feel like you. I don't mind casters babbling a bit, I enjoy it unless they repeat it very much etc. However, that doesn't happen much and especially with the casting archon, I personally enjoy it a lot. (I might be in the minority here.)

The pull-stats-on-demand thing I greatly approve of though. Gives more interesting stuff to fill time with.
|| ''I think we have all experienced passion that is not in any sense reasonable.'' ||
DavoS
Profile Blog Joined October 2012
United States4605 Posts
April 20 2013 02:52 GMT
#85
I'm majoring in TV production and I agree with everything you say.
The problem is that most of the older talent that knows how to coordinate all of this doesn't know anything about these events. Dreamhack does a great job with live events, and you touched on how the GSL provides stats and information, but otherwise we really don't see casters doing anything to fill airtime. Everything else has caught up and esports can explode any minute now, there aren't any excuses left that the casters and crews can use to justify not striving for higher standards
"KDA is actually the most useless stat in the game" Aui_2000
JeanLuc
Profile Joined September 2010
Canada377 Posts
April 20 2013 03:16 GMT
#86
for your 'after the game' suggestion-- doesn't axslav already do a similar analysis, down to the overlay with circles and lines? also, in the graphic you show, it doesn't seem like any movement of the terran army would have made a difference whatsoever there. there is just a gaping food and tech differential there. and often times that is the problem, the engagement was decided in the blink of an eye, leaving little to no time for micro. that's a game issue, not a production/analysis issue.

If you can't find it within yourself to stand up and tell the truth-- you don't deserve to wear that uniform
plogamer
Profile Blog Joined January 2012
Canada3132 Posts
April 20 2013 04:04 GMT
#87
Forget multi-screen, I liked the idea at first, but then I realize how lame that is.

Just skip between the two fights like GSL does it in double pronged harass. In triple pronged, they show the big two prongs, and then show the smaller prong after the two big attacks are finished (usually a drop from a Terran). We get to see the result for the third/smaller prong, like marines/marauders dead/dying and medivac floating about, or exploding after mutas pick it off. This way flows better, gives each attack more attention.

TLDR: If you put more than 1 intense action on the screen at a time, it becomes very difficult on focus.
Stye
Profile Joined September 2012
Poland40 Posts
April 20 2013 05:43 GMT
#88
Split screen sucks, agreed, but what's wrong with Picture in Picture? I feel it's a matter of months for GSL to adopt it after MLG
Khalimaroth
Profile Joined September 2010
France71 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-20 08:24:35
April 20 2013 08:24 GMT
#89
I'm fine with broadcasters actually. I just ofen dont like the camera control... ^^

Maybe a little off topic but i don't really know why the right-clik is useless in obs/replay?

If you right-click on the minimap, on the ground, or on a unit, it's could be a smooth and nice camera scrolling to the point clicked.
It could help caster a lot, facilitate their camera control, for us, the audience^^.

Gl hf ♪ everyone.
Trop'inzust
Deleted User 137586
Profile Joined January 2011
7859 Posts
April 20 2013 09:14 GMT
#90
I think the thread has missed three points.

1) As someone pointed out off-hand, the Korean casters are much more scripted and they have a lot more statistics to draw on. I think we're mostly talking about GSL here so the problem there is that the English and Korean casts are so very different. In fact, the main reason why Tastosis is so incredibly popular is because they can do it all. Artosis has a ton of stats and SC2 related stuff (which would be given to a caster by a team in a regular sport) and Tasteless is great at the filler content, not to mention the awesome play-by-play. All three of these would be assisted by a team showing clips and stats and graphs in a regular broadcast. And it's notable that the Korean cast gets a bigger team than the English broadcast.

2) This also will not necessarily reduce banter as the casters have a choice which route to take. When they have something super funny going on, they can ignore the statistics. If they do not, they can discuss them well. I think it's fair to say that Tastosis ignores stats sometimes because they have very funny rants and tons of people like that. I can also imagine TotalControl ignoring stats all the time. But Khaldor is a good example of someone whose jokes, while sometimes hilarious, are generally bad puns, but he does probably the best job of anyone of covering tidbits, stats, latest news and much more. His casts are engaging because he works hard at the job which would really be done by a team for him.

3) What we are eventually talking about is two things: some casts are terrible. Not every pair can be expected to have hilarious synergy while being well versed in stats and information. Those are the caster-pairs that require more production behind them to make it more enjoyable. This means that some audiences are not drawn into SC2. Secondly, even though Tastosis is great, I cannot imagine them being terribly popular among people outside of the staple demographic of SC2. Pokemon jokes, old games, occasional misogyny, immature humour, etc is fine by me (hmmm.. I might have to rethink my life a bit) but it is alienating to many older people, some girls, and other people that are more used to professional interaction. If we want to get SC2 equalized, eventually, with other mainstream media, we need to start experimenting with increasing production value and making the casts more inclusive and more professional. This doesn't mean that we scuttle the banter, but we should try to find a suitable role for it.
Cry 'havoc' and let slip the dogs of war
FinalForm
Profile Joined August 2010
United States450 Posts
April 20 2013 09:43 GMT
#91
Doesn't more observers increase the likelihood of lags/drops/ or other related issues. Remember there's no lan. Doesn't GSL already use like four obs? Kor obs, kor caster, english obs, English caster?
Mellon
Profile Joined October 2010
Sweden917 Posts
April 20 2013 10:04 GMT
#92
I agree on everything basicly, however point two is harder to accomplish then one and three. I definately think you should have analysis post-game, it's fun to see and not hard to do either. I think Gom has become better on having stats on their cast, but in general i want more, way more. The multiple angles is hard to do live i believe, these guys aren't exactly swimming in money and they'd have to hire more observers + get the technology needed. I want it, but i understand if it's hard. The #1 #3 point isnt really hard to do.
opisska
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Poland8852 Posts
April 20 2013 10:19 GMT
#93
The off-topic banter of Tastosis is one of the reasons I preffer watyching code S to everything elese in SC2. Even though half of the stuff they say is not even funny or does not make any sense, the atmosphere they create is relaxed and friendly.

I still don't really get this idea that SC2 has to be more like a normal sport. I do not like watching normal sports, why would I want SC2 broadcast to mimic anything from them? I do not want to give up what I like about SC2 just for it to be more mainstream.
"Jeez, that's far from ideal." - Serral, the king of mild trashtalk
TL+ Member
SorrowShine
Profile Joined October 2011
698 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-20 16:54:23
April 20 2013 16:52 GMT
#94
hey hey
my 5 cents into whole discussion.

I really believe that we should leave the casters as they are. tastosis banter is exactly why we love or hate them.
Everytime I watch Wolf I am waiting for his Hair comments. they are ridiculous btw. But I always lf to them.
I dont want all the casters be the same and similar style. Just leave them be.

Just an example: In russia there is a commentator who is I would say special. He quite often says to people rude things. Some people love him for his honesty, some people hate him for that. Anyway hugely popular figure. And I am sure some people I watching soccer games just because of him.
The same with Code S. I am sure some people are tuning in just to listen to Tastosis.
They are already a Legend in a SC community, much more popular than most of the players.


Improvement of technical part i think is all about money. . And production crew I am sure has a ton ideas how to improve their broadcast. It's gonna get better as e-sports expands
plogamer
Profile Blog Joined January 2012
Canada3132 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-20 17:41:46
April 20 2013 17:41 GMT
#95
Anyone enjoy the new camera zoom in GSL? I love it. It makes it so much easier to think of the game in a more positional sense.

GSTL yesterday used it a lot in TvT, I loved it.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 6h 4m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 353
UpATreeSC 78
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 1272
actioN 468
BeSt 220
Dewaltoss 199
firebathero 94
Zeus 71
Trap 41
zelot 28
soO 26
Sexy 26
[ Show more ]
ToSsGirL 24
Bale 20
JYJ 20
Shine 20
NaDa 7
Sacsri 5
Dota 2
Gorgc7294
qojqva2135
Dendi833
420jenkins163
Counter-Strike
pashabiceps1134
Fnx 786
x6flipin349
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby6544
crisheroes5077
Liquid`Hasu683
Other Games
Beastyqt770
B2W.Neo618
ceh9489
byalli350
KnowMe161
ArmadaUGS156
Khaldor142
C9.Mang0139
TKL 118
BRAT_OK 75
Trikslyr57
Railgan11
Organizations
Other Games
WardiTV267
BasetradeTV193
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream148
[ Show 19 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH313
• StrangeGG 57
• Reevou 8
• Migwel
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 45
• Azhi_Dahaki21
• blackmanpl 18
• FirePhoenix12
• ZZZeroYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV414
League of Legends
• Nemesis3947
• TFBlade916
Other Games
• Shiphtur337
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
6h 4m
Kung Fu Cup
17h 4m
Stellar Fest
19h 4m
The PondCast
1d 16h
OSC
1d 19h
OSC
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.