• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 03:21
CEST 09:21
KST 16:21
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)54Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7739 users

New League Distribution in HotS

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 9 10 11 Next All
SPoF
Profile Joined August 2012
Luxembourg19 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-11 17:33:41
March 11 2013 17:10 GMT
#1
Source:Battle.net

Seems like Blizz wants fewer players stuck in Bronze. They decreased the Bronze percentage to 8% an gave the 12 missing percent to Gold, saying that Bronze had a too wide skill-range while Gold was too narrow:

While it appears to display an equal distribution of skill level across the board, we found that the current system brought about scenarios in which Bronze encompassed a skill range that was too broad to be meaningful, while Gold was too narrow. As a result, the lowest ranked players in Bronze often tended to be far removed from the skill level of those at the top, or even the middle of the league. As such, we're going to alter the population percentages for Bronze, Silver, and Gold leagues in order to equalize these skill gaps, and help each feel more meaningful.


New League Distribution will be:

[image loading]
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading."- Henry Youngman
InfCereal
Profile Joined December 2011
Canada1759 Posts
March 11 2013 17:13 GMT
#2
So it's going to more like a bell curve now?

No complaints, really.
Cereal
bennedik
Profile Joined March 2011
Germany127 Posts
March 11 2013 17:13 GMT
#3
I think you mean "less" players stuck in bronze?
TheEmulator
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
28103 Posts
March 11 2013 17:15 GMT
#4
Interesting. Doesn't affect me, but it might help the lower leagues.
Administrator
algue
Profile Joined July 2011
France1436 Posts
March 11 2013 17:17 GMT
#5
This means that bronze is worse than ever and that gold and silver players should'nt be proud of being out of bronze
rly ?
Kasu
Profile Joined April 2011
United Kingdom345 Posts
March 11 2013 17:18 GMT
#6
On March 12 2013 02:13 bennedik wrote:
I think you mean "less" players stuck in bronze?

"Fewer", if we're being pedantic
SPoF
Profile Joined August 2012
Luxembourg19 Posts
March 11 2013 17:28 GMT
#7
Well if that is your only concern, I will comply
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading."- Henry Youngman
Joedaddy
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States1948 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-11 17:31:16
March 11 2013 17:31 GMT
#8
kind of interesting~ I think there's a pretty huge variance in skill towards the the top end too. The top end of masters compared to the bottom may as well be the difference between bronze and masters.
I might be the minority on TL, but TL is the minority everywhere else.
c0ldfusion
Profile Joined October 2010
United States8293 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-11 17:56:49
March 11 2013 17:31 GMT
#9
Source link isn't working for me.

Edit: Works now.
DreamChaser
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
1649 Posts
March 11 2013 17:34 GMT
#10
Everyone likes a good confidence boost. If your a more casual player staying your "stuck" in gold does not sound so shameful as bronze/silver
Plays against every MU with nexus first.
Adonminus
Profile Joined January 2012
Israel543 Posts
March 11 2013 17:44 GMT
#11
I stay in chat channels a lot and stuff, and I like see either the lower league players bronze-silver, or the higher leagues plat-master, but like gold is much more rare for some reason. Maybe it's just me though, but still I guess that will increase the gold population and decrease the giant skill range between the lower and upper parts of bronze.
Negius
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
Netherlands290 Posts
March 11 2013 17:51 GMT
#12
I like this change, it just feels better playing Starcraft once you're promoted
[Terran] mvp | maru | innovation | mma [Protoss] mc | squirtle [Zerg] nestea | soo
KillerDucky
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States498 Posts
March 11 2013 17:53 GMT
#13
Bronze now the most exclusive league after GM and Masters.
MarineKingPrime Forever!
c0ldfusion
Profile Joined October 2010
United States8293 Posts
March 11 2013 17:59 GMT
#14
On March 12 2013 02:53 KillerDucky wrote:
Bronze now the most exclusive league after GM and Masters.


The bronze border looks pretty good actually.
vult
Profile Blog Joined February 2012
United States9400 Posts
March 11 2013 18:08 GMT
#15
I feel like this is going to lower the skill level for silver/gold, allowing for players that may not be skilled enough for Platinum league to get promoted by playing players who were formerly bronze/silver in skill.
I used to play random, but for you I play very specifically.
ZenithM
Profile Joined February 2011
France15952 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-11 18:12:16
March 11 2013 18:11 GMT
#16
On March 12 2013 02:59 c0ldfusion wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 12 2013 02:53 KillerDucky wrote:
Bronze now the most exclusive league after GM and Masters.


The bronze border looks pretty good actually.

Best border after unranked.

On March 12 2013 03:08 vultdylan wrote:
I feel like this is going to lower the skill level for silver/gold, allowing for players that may not be skilled enough for Platinum league to get promoted by playing players who were formerly bronze/silver in skill.

That's not how that works. You're promoted by MMR. You have to play mid platinum players and win consistently against them to be able to get a promotion. No worries there.
Treehead
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
999 Posts
March 11 2013 18:16 GMT
#17
Just another example of Blizzard shamelessly catering to casuals. I personally feel offended by the amount of work I had to put into playing at the Gold level to have it just GIVEN to horrible players.

I keed, I keed. Doesn't affect me either. I would find it hilarious and amusing, though, if they did something like this and greatly expanded master's league. I wonder how differently that would be receieved...
MaxViktory
Profile Joined June 2012
Sweden136 Posts
March 11 2013 18:17 GMT
#18
So what are the percentages now? I thought I read somewhere that the size of masters was decreased in the last patch of WOL. Could that be correct?
8%, 20%, 32%, 20%, 18%, 2%, 200?
ffadicted
Profile Joined January 2011
United States3545 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-11 18:29:04
March 11 2013 18:22 GMT
#19
Makes sense to me if what they're saying checks out, good change

On March 12 2013 03:16 Treehead wrote:
Just another example of Blizzard shamelessly catering to casuals. I personally feel offended by the amount of work I had to put into playing at the Gold level to have it just GIVEN to horrible players.

I keed, I keed. Doesn't affect me either. I would find it hilarious and amusing, though, if they did something like this and greatly expanded master's league. I wonder how differently that would be receieved...


Chill out man, like you said, it's not the top top so it's not like they're giving up spots of great players to bad ones and somehow "tainting" what it means to be in gold lol I don't think anyone really cares, most people are still trying to rise up the ranks at gold. Plus if it's going to more balance out skill levels like they say, it's a good change.

Edit: oh oops, I didn't read the second part properly haha
SooYoung-Noona!
Deleted User 61629
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
1664 Posts
March 11 2013 18:23 GMT
#20
--- Nuked ---
1 2 3 4 5 9 10 11 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
00:00
OSC Elite Rising Star #21
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Hyuk 1309
910 843
ggaemo 723
actioN 538
Mong 234
Shuttle 104
Dewaltoss 95
Yoon 90
Leta 46
soO 33
[ Show more ]
yabsab 31
Hm[arnc] 29
ZergMaN 26
Bale 21
Noble 15
Dota 2
Fuzer 61
League of Legends
JimRising 561
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor815
Other Games
summit1g8693
ceh9463
olofmeister408
Happy356
PiGStarcraft240
Mew2King113
ArmadaUGS34
trigger12
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream124
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• LUISG 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2360
League of Legends
• Rush1231
• Stunt426
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
5h 39m
OSC
14h 39m
CranKy Ducklings
1d 2h
Online Event
1d 3h
FEL
1d 8h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 9h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 11h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.