• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 11:13
CEST 17:13
KST 00:13
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon108
StarCraft 2
General
Updated Continental Flags System & New Global Flag StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9603 users

Supernova gets a new look - Page 12

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 10 11 12 13 14 30 Next All
Canucklehead
Profile Joined March 2011
Canada5074 Posts
December 28 2012 09:34 GMT
#221
On December 28 2012 18:31 zefreak wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 28 2012 18:25 Eufouria wrote:
On December 28 2012 18:08 zefreak wrote:
On December 28 2012 18:03 Jibba wrote:
On December 28 2012 18:01 zefreak wrote:
On December 28 2012 17:57 Jibba wrote:
On December 28 2012 17:49 zefreak wrote:
On December 28 2012 17:45 Jibba wrote:
On December 28 2012 17:33 zefreak wrote:
On December 28 2012 17:25 Canucklehead wrote:
[quote]

Huh, that's not being more progressive, that's being more superficial, which is saying something since the west is already pretty superficial themselves.


I feel like it's more progressive because it tears away yet another arbitrary taboo. If people want to look a certain way, and almost everyone wants to look a certain way whether they admit it not, they should be able to without shame or dishonesty. Wanting to look a certain way is not superficial, ONLY CARING ABOUT LOOKS would be superficial.

I feel like you're missing the pressures that often cause people to want to change how they look, ESPECIALLY in some Asian societies. Shame is on the other end of the equation.


The pressures are there, but the problem isn't cosmetic surgery. In fact, it's the solution. You think there aren't equivalent pressures in other parts of the world? Fact is, ugly people are just ignored here in the US. If you aren't born with the right combination of genes, good luck being successful in business and romance, because your options are much more limited than if you are tall, white and handsome.

I feel like people rightly grasp the problem of social pressures regarding looks and then wrongly see plastic surgery as the problem. If 'social pressure' is one side of the equation, it is the same in every country in the world. If plastic surgery was as cheap everywhere as it is in korea, if the surgeons were as experienced and if there weren't taboos against changing your genetically determined appearance then it would be just as popular everywhere. Not because social pressures would necessarily increase but because the deterrent factors would be decreased.

I'm not saying plastic surgery should be a taboo or looked down upon, I'm saying your interpretation of it being a more progressive system is off.


Please explain why a society that is accepting of plastic surgery isn't more progressive than one that is not. I feel like I could possibly convince you if I knew exactly what your arguments were.

Granted, I'm an atheist transhumanist who thinks I should be able to have bunny ears and giant Angelina Jolie lips if I so desire.
Because if you got bunny ears and Angelina Jolie lips, they would mock you mercilessly for looking so weird, and you would be treated much, much worse. Like I said, the shame is on the other end of the equation. They're getting it to fit in to the norm, not to make themselves unique.


Perhaps I wasn't clear. I'm not saying that Korea is more progressive because they don't have beauty standards or pressure to conform to them (every country does, and while korea has head-to-body ratio and S curves, the west has the golden hip-waist-chest ratio and other standards). I'm saying that their acceptance of drastic physical feature modification is progressive. If you could magically remove beauty standards and social pressure from both the US and Korea, which country do you think would have people running around with bunny ears and which wouldn't because it's not 'natural'?

In other words, don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. These discussions always devolve into people bashing plastic surgery when the real criticism should be aimed at the tendency for societies to pressure people to look a certain way, whether it is korea or the US.

Korea is much further from removing beauty standards though, that's a much more realistic (although still highly improbable) idea in the US. Korea might be more progressive in terms of acceptance of plastic surgery, but it is way behind overall in terms of acceptance of anything other than the golden beauty standards.

Every country has ideals of beauty, but in the west we've moved on from whiter is better. Also on the subway here in London there are way more people, than in Seoul, who clearly don't care about how they look very much. That alone shows how much more pressure there is in korea.


I guess I agree with this, and I hope it changes. Perhaps there wasn't a real disagreement after all, although I feel most people have more of an 'ick' reaction to plastic surgery than caring about beauty standards and pressure.


I don't care if someone gets plastic surgery. I disagreed with your notion that they were more progressive as a society for accepting plastic surgery because that isn't really something to put on a moral pedestal.
Top 10 favourite pros: MKP, MVP, MC, Nestea, DRG, Jaedong, Flash, Life, Creator, Leenock
Glioburd
Profile Joined April 2008
France1911 Posts
December 28 2012 09:36 GMT
#222
Oh, I thought he had a new haircut... he has a new face wtf.
"You should hate loosing, but you should never fear defeat." NaDa.
AssyrianKing
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
Australia2121 Posts
December 28 2012 09:40 GMT
#223
All I notice is the eyes, just opened them up a little, plus cosmetic surgery is normal there, if he's happy
John 15:13
Jibba
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States22883 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-12-28 09:43:20
December 28 2012 09:41 GMT
#224
On December 28 2012 18:26 zefreak wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 28 2012 18:14 Jibba wrote:
I'm really not. I don't think better or worse of anyone for doing it, even the really bizarre ones. It just makes me sad when people don't like the way they look, especially if it's from an external, mean source.


That's fair, although I think very few people actually do like the way they look. The fact that in Korea (and Japan and China) plastic surgery is such a readily available option means that people that are dissatisfied can change that.

I agree that the optimal state of affairs would be that people are happy with their appearance from the start, but that is so far-fetched it's hardly worth entertaining. It's like complaining about greed, or jealousy. People are going to be dissatisfied with their looks, as they are in most areas of their lives. It's what keeps us moving.

To be fair, I'm coming from a position of having inherited a very annoying skin condition. I am not happy with my body although I am happy with myself as a person. It doesn't bother me that much but I would have no qualms with performing surgery to change it and other features that I find sub-optimal, if the price was right (it isn't). I don't see how anyone can disagree with that .

Well, at least in Western studies they've found plastic surgery is often related to underlying self worth issues, and the end result is that while patients are satisfied with the surgery, it doesn't end up improving their quality of life, confidence or outlook. There's definitely exceptions to that (and I believe it's more likely to do these things as we get older, because expectations are muted) but the problem usually isn't as simple as "I don't like my appearance."

And I do have psoriasis in remission and I wouldn't risk inflaming it for better appearance. I have other imperfections that I wouldn't touch, even with the money to do so, because they're just me.
ModeratorNow I'm distant, dark in this anthrobeat
HolydaKing
Profile Joined February 2010
21254 Posts
December 28 2012 09:41 GMT
#225
On December 28 2012 18:36 Glioburd wrote:
Oh, I thought he had a new haircut... he has a new face wtf.

There wouldn't be a thread for that, lol.

Well... i'm not a pro at seeing what changed, but his eyes for sure. Now he isn't looking so cute anymore
AmericanUmlaut
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Germany2597 Posts
December 28 2012 09:42 GMT
#226
On December 28 2012 18:26 zefreak wrote: It doesn't bother me that much but I would have no qualms with performing surgery to change it and other features that I find sub-optimal, if the price was right (it isn't). I don't see how anyone can disagree with that .

I think this is a very important point. A lot of people see the choice to have cosmetic surgery performed as a shallow choice that indicates weak character in some way. But the fact of the matter is, if a fairy popped up and offered to make you beautiful without cost or consequence, I have a hard time imagining someone declining. The question is thus one of what costs and consequences are acceptable to a person, which puts cosmetic surgery on a spectrum. Given how much it currently costs, the risks associated, and the fact that as a white male in a western country, I am privileged beyond all reason even if I'm not particularly attractive*, the equation is so far from making sense for me that I've never given cosmetic surgery any thought. I don't think it's reasonable to look down on anyone else's decision to get it done, though, since there are so many factors at play in the decision to change one's own physical appearance that no one else could ever possibly judge whether it's a reasonable choice.

*Not that I'm not a total hottie. I totally am.
The frumious Bandersnatch
RageCommodore
Profile Joined September 2011
Germany912 Posts
December 28 2012 09:42 GMT
#227
This is what I call a strikingly different look :O
BW: sGs.sTaRfaLL SC2: MarojiN | fan of: Darkforce, DBS, Last, Mvp, BoguS/InnoVatioN | Executer vs Choosy on Gladiator - Never forget T-T
WigglingSquid
Profile Joined August 2011
5194 Posts
December 28 2012 09:42 GMT
#228
It's hard to make an accurate comparison between two unflattering GSL pictures and two orchestrated self-shots, but the eyes are definitely much better-looking now.
zefreak
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
United States2731 Posts
December 28 2012 09:44 GMT
#229
On December 28 2012 18:34 Canucklehead wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 28 2012 18:31 zefreak wrote:
On December 28 2012 18:25 Eufouria wrote:
On December 28 2012 18:08 zefreak wrote:
On December 28 2012 18:03 Jibba wrote:
On December 28 2012 18:01 zefreak wrote:
On December 28 2012 17:57 Jibba wrote:
On December 28 2012 17:49 zefreak wrote:
On December 28 2012 17:45 Jibba wrote:
On December 28 2012 17:33 zefreak wrote:
[quote]

I feel like it's more progressive because it tears away yet another arbitrary taboo. If people want to look a certain way, and almost everyone wants to look a certain way whether they admit it not, they should be able to without shame or dishonesty. Wanting to look a certain way is not superficial, ONLY CARING ABOUT LOOKS would be superficial.

I feel like you're missing the pressures that often cause people to want to change how they look, ESPECIALLY in some Asian societies. Shame is on the other end of the equation.


The pressures are there, but the problem isn't cosmetic surgery. In fact, it's the solution. You think there aren't equivalent pressures in other parts of the world? Fact is, ugly people are just ignored here in the US. If you aren't born with the right combination of genes, good luck being successful in business and romance, because your options are much more limited than if you are tall, white and handsome.

I feel like people rightly grasp the problem of social pressures regarding looks and then wrongly see plastic surgery as the problem. If 'social pressure' is one side of the equation, it is the same in every country in the world. If plastic surgery was as cheap everywhere as it is in korea, if the surgeons were as experienced and if there weren't taboos against changing your genetically determined appearance then it would be just as popular everywhere. Not because social pressures would necessarily increase but because the deterrent factors would be decreased.

I'm not saying plastic surgery should be a taboo or looked down upon, I'm saying your interpretation of it being a more progressive system is off.


Please explain why a society that is accepting of plastic surgery isn't more progressive than one that is not. I feel like I could possibly convince you if I knew exactly what your arguments were.

Granted, I'm an atheist transhumanist who thinks I should be able to have bunny ears and giant Angelina Jolie lips if I so desire.
Because if you got bunny ears and Angelina Jolie lips, they would mock you mercilessly for looking so weird, and you would be treated much, much worse. Like I said, the shame is on the other end of the equation. They're getting it to fit in to the norm, not to make themselves unique.


Perhaps I wasn't clear. I'm not saying that Korea is more progressive because they don't have beauty standards or pressure to conform to them (every country does, and while korea has head-to-body ratio and S curves, the west has the golden hip-waist-chest ratio and other standards). I'm saying that their acceptance of drastic physical feature modification is progressive. If you could magically remove beauty standards and social pressure from both the US and Korea, which country do you think would have people running around with bunny ears and which wouldn't because it's not 'natural'?

In other words, don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. These discussions always devolve into people bashing plastic surgery when the real criticism should be aimed at the tendency for societies to pressure people to look a certain way, whether it is korea or the US.

Korea is much further from removing beauty standards though, that's a much more realistic (although still highly improbable) idea in the US. Korea might be more progressive in terms of acceptance of plastic surgery, but it is way behind overall in terms of acceptance of anything other than the golden beauty standards.

Every country has ideals of beauty, but in the west we've moved on from whiter is better. Also on the subway here in London there are way more people, than in Seoul, who clearly don't care about how they look very much. That alone shows how much more pressure there is in korea.


I guess I agree with this, and I hope it changes. Perhaps there wasn't a real disagreement after all, although I feel most people have more of an 'ick' reaction to plastic surgery than caring about beauty standards and pressure.


I don't care if someone gets plastic surgery. I disagreed with your notion that they were more progressive as a society for accepting plastic surgery because that isn't really something to put on a moral pedestal.


A society can be progressive in one area and not in others. I still feel their acceptance of plastic surgery is progressive. They may be more behind in other areas, probably because they are a homogeneous society with an extremely quick economic development and their political and social customs haven't quite caught up.

Progressive isn't directly related to morality, btw.
www.gosu-sc.com - Starcraft News, Strategy and Merchandise
superjoppe
Profile Joined December 2004
Sweden3694 Posts
December 28 2012 09:48 GMT
#230
Am I the only one not noticing anything with his chin? Just that the eyes got 100 times bigger
Canucklehead
Profile Joined March 2011
Canada5074 Posts
December 28 2012 09:52 GMT
#231
On December 28 2012 18:44 zefreak wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 28 2012 18:34 Canucklehead wrote:
On December 28 2012 18:31 zefreak wrote:
On December 28 2012 18:25 Eufouria wrote:
On December 28 2012 18:08 zefreak wrote:
On December 28 2012 18:03 Jibba wrote:
On December 28 2012 18:01 zefreak wrote:
On December 28 2012 17:57 Jibba wrote:
On December 28 2012 17:49 zefreak wrote:
On December 28 2012 17:45 Jibba wrote:
[quote]
I feel like you're missing the pressures that often cause people to want to change how they look, ESPECIALLY in some Asian societies. Shame is on the other end of the equation.


The pressures are there, but the problem isn't cosmetic surgery. In fact, it's the solution. You think there aren't equivalent pressures in other parts of the world? Fact is, ugly people are just ignored here in the US. If you aren't born with the right combination of genes, good luck being successful in business and romance, because your options are much more limited than if you are tall, white and handsome.

I feel like people rightly grasp the problem of social pressures regarding looks and then wrongly see plastic surgery as the problem. If 'social pressure' is one side of the equation, it is the same in every country in the world. If plastic surgery was as cheap everywhere as it is in korea, if the surgeons were as experienced and if there weren't taboos against changing your genetically determined appearance then it would be just as popular everywhere. Not because social pressures would necessarily increase but because the deterrent factors would be decreased.

I'm not saying plastic surgery should be a taboo or looked down upon, I'm saying your interpretation of it being a more progressive system is off.


Please explain why a society that is accepting of plastic surgery isn't more progressive than one that is not. I feel like I could possibly convince you if I knew exactly what your arguments were.

Granted, I'm an atheist transhumanist who thinks I should be able to have bunny ears and giant Angelina Jolie lips if I so desire.
Because if you got bunny ears and Angelina Jolie lips, they would mock you mercilessly for looking so weird, and you would be treated much, much worse. Like I said, the shame is on the other end of the equation. They're getting it to fit in to the norm, not to make themselves unique.


Perhaps I wasn't clear. I'm not saying that Korea is more progressive because they don't have beauty standards or pressure to conform to them (every country does, and while korea has head-to-body ratio and S curves, the west has the golden hip-waist-chest ratio and other standards). I'm saying that their acceptance of drastic physical feature modification is progressive. If you could magically remove beauty standards and social pressure from both the US and Korea, which country do you think would have people running around with bunny ears and which wouldn't because it's not 'natural'?

In other words, don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. These discussions always devolve into people bashing plastic surgery when the real criticism should be aimed at the tendency for societies to pressure people to look a certain way, whether it is korea or the US.

Korea is much further from removing beauty standards though, that's a much more realistic (although still highly improbable) idea in the US. Korea might be more progressive in terms of acceptance of plastic surgery, but it is way behind overall in terms of acceptance of anything other than the golden beauty standards.

Every country has ideals of beauty, but in the west we've moved on from whiter is better. Also on the subway here in London there are way more people, than in Seoul, who clearly don't care about how they look very much. That alone shows how much more pressure there is in korea.


I guess I agree with this, and I hope it changes. Perhaps there wasn't a real disagreement after all, although I feel most people have more of an 'ick' reaction to plastic surgery than caring about beauty standards and pressure.


I don't care if someone gets plastic surgery. I disagreed with your notion that they were more progressive as a society for accepting plastic surgery because that isn't really something to put on a moral pedestal.


A society can be progressive in one area and not in others. I still feel their acceptance of plastic surgery is progressive.


We don't agree on the definition of progressive then.
Top 10 favourite pros: MKP, MVP, MC, Nestea, DRG, Jaedong, Flash, Life, Creator, Leenock
zefreak
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
United States2731 Posts
December 28 2012 09:54 GMT
#232
On December 28 2012 18:41 Jibba wrote:

I have other imperfections that I wouldn't touch, even with the money to do so, because they're just me.


This is a bit of my point though. Does this not imply that your body image is more closely tied to your self-identity? If you had a dirty shirt and could magically replace it with a clean shirt, few would have a problem. However when it comes to physical imperfections, many people feel more attached to these, as if changing them would change 'a part of themselves'.

I don't want to pretend that I never have those reactions as well, blame my upbringing or biology, but I think that in a perfect world such a connection wouldn't exist. The ultimate result of not caring about appearance (what people consider "shallow") is not including your physical appearance in your self-image at all.
www.gosu-sc.com - Starcraft News, Strategy and Merchandise
Rescawen
Profile Joined April 2010
Finland1028 Posts
December 28 2012 09:54 GMT
#233
I dig it, props to supernova
Jibba
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States22883 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-12-28 09:58:04
December 28 2012 09:56 GMT
#234
People consider it shallow when the basis of doing ______ is other people's perceptions, rather than your own convictions. Everyone probably is to different extents.
ModeratorNow I'm distant, dark in this anthrobeat
zefreak
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
United States2731 Posts
December 28 2012 09:56 GMT
#235
On December 28 2012 18:52 Canucklehead wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 28 2012 18:44 zefreak wrote:
On December 28 2012 18:34 Canucklehead wrote:
On December 28 2012 18:31 zefreak wrote:
On December 28 2012 18:25 Eufouria wrote:
On December 28 2012 18:08 zefreak wrote:
On December 28 2012 18:03 Jibba wrote:
On December 28 2012 18:01 zefreak wrote:
On December 28 2012 17:57 Jibba wrote:
On December 28 2012 17:49 zefreak wrote:
[quote]

The pressures are there, but the problem isn't cosmetic surgery. In fact, it's the solution. You think there aren't equivalent pressures in other parts of the world? Fact is, ugly people are just ignored here in the US. If you aren't born with the right combination of genes, good luck being successful in business and romance, because your options are much more limited than if you are tall, white and handsome.

I feel like people rightly grasp the problem of social pressures regarding looks and then wrongly see plastic surgery as the problem. If 'social pressure' is one side of the equation, it is the same in every country in the world. If plastic surgery was as cheap everywhere as it is in korea, if the surgeons were as experienced and if there weren't taboos against changing your genetically determined appearance then it would be just as popular everywhere. Not because social pressures would necessarily increase but because the deterrent factors would be decreased.

I'm not saying plastic surgery should be a taboo or looked down upon, I'm saying your interpretation of it being a more progressive system is off.


Please explain why a society that is accepting of plastic surgery isn't more progressive than one that is not. I feel like I could possibly convince you if I knew exactly what your arguments were.

Granted, I'm an atheist transhumanist who thinks I should be able to have bunny ears and giant Angelina Jolie lips if I so desire.
Because if you got bunny ears and Angelina Jolie lips, they would mock you mercilessly for looking so weird, and you would be treated much, much worse. Like I said, the shame is on the other end of the equation. They're getting it to fit in to the norm, not to make themselves unique.


Perhaps I wasn't clear. I'm not saying that Korea is more progressive because they don't have beauty standards or pressure to conform to them (every country does, and while korea has head-to-body ratio and S curves, the west has the golden hip-waist-chest ratio and other standards). I'm saying that their acceptance of drastic physical feature modification is progressive. If you could magically remove beauty standards and social pressure from both the US and Korea, which country do you think would have people running around with bunny ears and which wouldn't because it's not 'natural'?

In other words, don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. These discussions always devolve into people bashing plastic surgery when the real criticism should be aimed at the tendency for societies to pressure people to look a certain way, whether it is korea or the US.

Korea is much further from removing beauty standards though, that's a much more realistic (although still highly improbable) idea in the US. Korea might be more progressive in terms of acceptance of plastic surgery, but it is way behind overall in terms of acceptance of anything other than the golden beauty standards.

Every country has ideals of beauty, but in the west we've moved on from whiter is better. Also on the subway here in London there are way more people, than in Seoul, who clearly don't care about how they look very much. That alone shows how much more pressure there is in korea.


I guess I agree with this, and I hope it changes. Perhaps there wasn't a real disagreement after all, although I feel most people have more of an 'ick' reaction to plastic surgery than caring about beauty standards and pressure.


I don't care if someone gets plastic surgery. I disagreed with your notion that they were more progressive as a society for accepting plastic surgery because that isn't really something to put on a moral pedestal.


A society can be progressive in one area and not in others. I still feel their acceptance of plastic surgery is progressive.


We don't agree on the definition of progressive then.


Online poker is legal in China. Do you have a problem with saying that their online gambling legislation is more progressive than that of the United States, even if other aspects of their legal code are stuck in the stone age?
www.gosu-sc.com - Starcraft News, Strategy and Merchandise
ROOTFayth
Profile Joined January 2004
Canada3351 Posts
December 28 2012 09:57 GMT
#236
asians really don't like the shape of their eyes
ROOTFayth
Profile Joined January 2004
Canada3351 Posts
December 28 2012 09:58 GMT
#237
On December 28 2012 18:56 zefreak wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 28 2012 18:52 Canucklehead wrote:
On December 28 2012 18:44 zefreak wrote:
On December 28 2012 18:34 Canucklehead wrote:
On December 28 2012 18:31 zefreak wrote:
On December 28 2012 18:25 Eufouria wrote:
On December 28 2012 18:08 zefreak wrote:
On December 28 2012 18:03 Jibba wrote:
On December 28 2012 18:01 zefreak wrote:
On December 28 2012 17:57 Jibba wrote:
[quote]
I'm not saying plastic surgery should be a taboo or looked down upon, I'm saying your interpretation of it being a more progressive system is off.


Please explain why a society that is accepting of plastic surgery isn't more progressive than one that is not. I feel like I could possibly convince you if I knew exactly what your arguments were.

Granted, I'm an atheist transhumanist who thinks I should be able to have bunny ears and giant Angelina Jolie lips if I so desire.
Because if you got bunny ears and Angelina Jolie lips, they would mock you mercilessly for looking so weird, and you would be treated much, much worse. Like I said, the shame is on the other end of the equation. They're getting it to fit in to the norm, not to make themselves unique.


Perhaps I wasn't clear. I'm not saying that Korea is more progressive because they don't have beauty standards or pressure to conform to them (every country does, and while korea has head-to-body ratio and S curves, the west has the golden hip-waist-chest ratio and other standards). I'm saying that their acceptance of drastic physical feature modification is progressive. If you could magically remove beauty standards and social pressure from both the US and Korea, which country do you think would have people running around with bunny ears and which wouldn't because it's not 'natural'?

In other words, don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. These discussions always devolve into people bashing plastic surgery when the real criticism should be aimed at the tendency for societies to pressure people to look a certain way, whether it is korea or the US.

Korea is much further from removing beauty standards though, that's a much more realistic (although still highly improbable) idea in the US. Korea might be more progressive in terms of acceptance of plastic surgery, but it is way behind overall in terms of acceptance of anything other than the golden beauty standards.

Every country has ideals of beauty, but in the west we've moved on from whiter is better. Also on the subway here in London there are way more people, than in Seoul, who clearly don't care about how they look very much. That alone shows how much more pressure there is in korea.


I guess I agree with this, and I hope it changes. Perhaps there wasn't a real disagreement after all, although I feel most people have more of an 'ick' reaction to plastic surgery than caring about beauty standards and pressure.


I don't care if someone gets plastic surgery. I disagreed with your notion that they were more progressive as a society for accepting plastic surgery because that isn't really something to put on a moral pedestal.


A society can be progressive in one area and not in others. I still feel their acceptance of plastic surgery is progressive.


We don't agree on the definition of progressive then.


Online poker is legal in China. Do you have a problem with saying that their online gambling legislation is more progressive than that of the United States, even if other aspects of their legal code are stuck in the stone age?

lol legal as long as it's within the country, we can't play with any chinese online
zefreak
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
United States2731 Posts
December 28 2012 09:58 GMT
#238
On December 28 2012 18:58 ROOTFayth wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 28 2012 18:56 zefreak wrote:
On December 28 2012 18:52 Canucklehead wrote:
On December 28 2012 18:44 zefreak wrote:
On December 28 2012 18:34 Canucklehead wrote:
On December 28 2012 18:31 zefreak wrote:
On December 28 2012 18:25 Eufouria wrote:
On December 28 2012 18:08 zefreak wrote:
On December 28 2012 18:03 Jibba wrote:
On December 28 2012 18:01 zefreak wrote:
[quote]

Please explain why a society that is accepting of plastic surgery isn't more progressive than one that is not. I feel like I could possibly convince you if I knew exactly what your arguments were.

Granted, I'm an atheist transhumanist who thinks I should be able to have bunny ears and giant Angelina Jolie lips if I so desire.
Because if you got bunny ears and Angelina Jolie lips, they would mock you mercilessly for looking so weird, and you would be treated much, much worse. Like I said, the shame is on the other end of the equation. They're getting it to fit in to the norm, not to make themselves unique.


Perhaps I wasn't clear. I'm not saying that Korea is more progressive because they don't have beauty standards or pressure to conform to them (every country does, and while korea has head-to-body ratio and S curves, the west has the golden hip-waist-chest ratio and other standards). I'm saying that their acceptance of drastic physical feature modification is progressive. If you could magically remove beauty standards and social pressure from both the US and Korea, which country do you think would have people running around with bunny ears and which wouldn't because it's not 'natural'?

In other words, don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. These discussions always devolve into people bashing plastic surgery when the real criticism should be aimed at the tendency for societies to pressure people to look a certain way, whether it is korea or the US.

Korea is much further from removing beauty standards though, that's a much more realistic (although still highly improbable) idea in the US. Korea might be more progressive in terms of acceptance of plastic surgery, but it is way behind overall in terms of acceptance of anything other than the golden beauty standards.

Every country has ideals of beauty, but in the west we've moved on from whiter is better. Also on the subway here in London there are way more people, than in Seoul, who clearly don't care about how they look very much. That alone shows how much more pressure there is in korea.


I guess I agree with this, and I hope it changes. Perhaps there wasn't a real disagreement after all, although I feel most people have more of an 'ick' reaction to plastic surgery than caring about beauty standards and pressure.


I don't care if someone gets plastic surgery. I disagreed with your notion that they were more progressive as a society for accepting plastic surgery because that isn't really something to put on a moral pedestal.


A society can be progressive in one area and not in others. I still feel their acceptance of plastic surgery is progressive.


We don't agree on the definition of progressive then.


Online poker is legal in China. Do you have a problem with saying that their online gambling legislation is more progressive than that of the United States, even if other aspects of their legal code are stuck in the stone age?

lol legal as long as it's within the country, we can't play with any chinese online


Still better than the United States..
www.gosu-sc.com - Starcraft News, Strategy and Merchandise
SgtCoDFish
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United Kingdom1520 Posts
December 28 2012 10:01 GMT
#239
Off Topic: I come to the last page and people are discussing poker legislation in a thread about plastic surgery, lol

On Topic: Jesus Christ that's striking... good for him, I guess, I hope it makes him happy
DivinO
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States4796 Posts
December 28 2012 10:02 GMT
#240
On December 28 2012 18:57 ROOTFayth wrote:
asians really don't like the shape of their eyes


I agree with this wholeheartedly.
LiquipediaBrain in my filth.
Prev 1 10 11 12 13 14 30 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 8h 47m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech142
Codebar 36
StarCraft: Brood War
EffOrt 1057
Mini 918
Soma 761
actioN 462
Rush 384
Light 332
Horang2 316
Stork 276
BeSt 266
Larva 266
[ Show more ]
Snow 236
ggaemo 236
hero 226
Killer 111
firebathero 111
Barracks 110
Aegong 102
Sea.KH 85
Zeus 79
Dewaltoss 68
Shine 61
JYJ 48
soO 43
Sexy 37
Sharp 34
Shinee 32
ToSsGirL 28
Bale 24
zelot 17
Rock 17
sorry 13
Trap 13
Terrorterran 13
Sacsri 11
Dota 2
Gorgc7258
qojqva1794
Dendi674
420jenkins165
Counter-Strike
Fnx 779
x6flipin533
edward36
fl0m0
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes4893
Khaldor571
Other Games
gofns46850
singsing1401
B2W.Neo872
byalli522
Lowko373
Mlord258
DeMusliM224
Livibee186
KnowMe180
Liquid`VortiX155
ArmadaUGS115
Trikslyr27
Chillindude20
Railgan15
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV234
WardiTV223
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream169
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH130
• StrangeGG 67
• mYiSmile117
• Kozan
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Migwel
• intothetv
• IndyKCrew
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 29
• FirePhoenix11
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV394
League of Legends
• Nemesis2366
• Jankos1805
• TFBlade618
Other Games
• Shiphtur58
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
8h 47m
Kung Fu Cup
19h 47m
The PondCast
1d 18h
OSC
1d 21h
OSC
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.