• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 00:22
CEST 06:22
KST 13:22
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10256 users

Supernova gets a new look - Page 11

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 9 10 11 12 13 30 Next All
Jibba
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States22883 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-12-28 08:58:28
December 28 2012 08:57 GMT
#201
On December 28 2012 17:49 zefreak wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 28 2012 17:45 Jibba wrote:
On December 28 2012 17:33 zefreak wrote:
On December 28 2012 17:25 Canucklehead wrote:
On December 28 2012 17:22 zefreak wrote:
I feel like Asian societies are actually far more progressive regarding body image and identity than most Western societies,


Huh, that's not being more progressive, that's being more superficial, which is saying something since the west is already pretty superficial themselves.


I feel like it's more progressive because it tears away yet another arbitrary taboo. If people want to look a certain way, and almost everyone wants to look a certain way whether they admit it not, they should be able to without shame or dishonesty. Wanting to look a certain way is not superficial, ONLY CARING ABOUT LOOKS would be superficial.

I feel like you're missing the pressures that often cause people to want to change how they look, ESPECIALLY in some Asian societies. Shame is on the other end of the equation.


The pressures are there, but the problem isn't cosmetic surgery. In fact, it's the solution. You think there aren't equivalent pressures in other parts of the world? Fact is, ugly people are just ignored here in the US. If you aren't born with the right combination of genes, good luck being successful in business and romance, because your options are much more limited than if you are tall, white and handsome.

I feel like people rightly grasp the problem of social pressures regarding looks and then wrongly see plastic surgery as the problem. If 'social pressure' is one side of the equation, it is the same in every country in the world. If plastic surgery was as cheap everywhere as it is in korea, if the surgeons were as experienced and if there weren't taboos against changing your genetically determined appearance then it would be just as popular everywhere. Not because social pressures would necessarily increase but because the deterrent factors would be decreased.

I'm not saying plastic surgery should be a taboo or looked down upon, I'm saying your interpretation of it being a more progressive system is off.

ETisME sums it up well.
ModeratorNow I'm distant, dark in this anthrobeat
zefreak
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
United States2731 Posts
December 28 2012 08:57 GMT
#202
On December 28 2012 17:51 Jibba wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 28 2012 17:49 zefreak wrote:
Fact is, ugly people are just ignored here in the US. If you aren't born with the right combination of genes, good luck being successful in business and romance, because your options are much more limited than if you are tall, white and handsome.

I think that's extremely, extremely far from the truth.


Are you white?

I don't mean to be confrontational or controversial, but its very well documented that White males get preferential treatment in business and dating. Asian males and African females get some of the worst treatment.
www.gosu-sc.com - Starcraft News, Strategy and Merchandise
IndyO
Profile Joined June 2012
392 Posts
December 28 2012 08:57 GMT
#203
Awww. Always felt Supernova had kind of a cute look to him, I always tied it to oGs. I'll admit he is more attractive as far as average looks go though,.
Soma.bokforlag
Profile Joined February 2011
Sweden448 Posts
December 28 2012 08:59 GMT
#204
so sad.. i hope this trend of pressure that everyone should look exactly the same doesnt spread, but that these asian countries get their shit together.

supernova used to be so cute, now he looks just like everyone else

i know its hard to be different when youre young, but when you get older youll find it helped build character and that it is important to accept who you are

these kind of things doesnt change just because you fix your eyes.. next you start to notice your teeth arent perfect, or maybe your ears. that little tummy?

the best thing supernova could have done for his money is meet a good therapist that coult have helped him love his own look and be comfortable with being who he is
S_SienZ
Profile Joined September 2011
1878 Posts
December 28 2012 09:00 GMT
#205
On December 28 2012 17:57 zefreak wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 28 2012 17:51 Jibba wrote:
On December 28 2012 17:49 zefreak wrote:
Fact is, ugly people are just ignored here in the US. If you aren't born with the right combination of genes, good luck being successful in business and romance, because your options are much more limited than if you are tall, white and handsome.

I think that's extremely, extremely far from the truth.


Are you white?

I don't mean to be confrontational or controversial, but its very well documented that White males get preferential treatment in business and dating. Asian males and African females get some of the worst treatment.

Err.....

How does treatment based on race have anything to do with plastic surgery? Unless some non-white person decides to pull a Michael Jackson...
Jibba
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States22883 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-12-28 09:02:06
December 28 2012 09:00 GMT
#206
On December 28 2012 17:57 zefreak wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 28 2012 17:51 Jibba wrote:
On December 28 2012 17:49 zefreak wrote:
Fact is, ugly people are just ignored here in the US. If you aren't born with the right combination of genes, good luck being successful in business and romance, because your options are much more limited than if you are tall, white and handsome.

I think that's extremely, extremely far from the truth.


Are you white?

I don't mean to be confrontational or controversial, but its very well documented that White males get preferential treatment in business and dating. Asian males and African females get some of the worst treatment.

I'm half Asian and half White. Race does still matter in the US, but I think it's disingenuous to lump Asian males in with African-American females (Asian-Americans are the highest earning racial demographic in the US, btw.) Furthermore, this doesn't necessarily translate into attractiveness. Look at the Forbes' top 30 under 30 that just came out. There's a lot of brilliant people with very bright futures, but they certainly didn't make it on the list for looks.
ModeratorNow I'm distant, dark in this anthrobeat
zefreak
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
United States2731 Posts
December 28 2012 09:01 GMT
#207
On December 28 2012 17:57 Jibba wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 28 2012 17:49 zefreak wrote:
On December 28 2012 17:45 Jibba wrote:
On December 28 2012 17:33 zefreak wrote:
On December 28 2012 17:25 Canucklehead wrote:
On December 28 2012 17:22 zefreak wrote:
I feel like Asian societies are actually far more progressive regarding body image and identity than most Western societies,


Huh, that's not being more progressive, that's being more superficial, which is saying something since the west is already pretty superficial themselves.


I feel like it's more progressive because it tears away yet another arbitrary taboo. If people want to look a certain way, and almost everyone wants to look a certain way whether they admit it not, they should be able to without shame or dishonesty. Wanting to look a certain way is not superficial, ONLY CARING ABOUT LOOKS would be superficial.

I feel like you're missing the pressures that often cause people to want to change how they look, ESPECIALLY in some Asian societies. Shame is on the other end of the equation.


The pressures are there, but the problem isn't cosmetic surgery. In fact, it's the solution. You think there aren't equivalent pressures in other parts of the world? Fact is, ugly people are just ignored here in the US. If you aren't born with the right combination of genes, good luck being successful in business and romance, because your options are much more limited than if you are tall, white and handsome.

I feel like people rightly grasp the problem of social pressures regarding looks and then wrongly see plastic surgery as the problem. If 'social pressure' is one side of the equation, it is the same in every country in the world. If plastic surgery was as cheap everywhere as it is in korea, if the surgeons were as experienced and if there weren't taboos against changing your genetically determined appearance then it would be just as popular everywhere. Not because social pressures would necessarily increase but because the deterrent factors would be decreased.

I'm not saying plastic surgery should be a taboo or looked down upon, I'm saying your interpretation of it being a more progressive system is off.


Please explain why a society that is accepting of plastic surgery isn't more progressive than one that is not. I feel like I could possibly convince you if I knew exactly what your arguments were.

Granted, I'm an atheist transhumanist who thinks I should be able to have bunny ears and giant Angelina Jolie lips if I so desire.
www.gosu-sc.com - Starcraft News, Strategy and Merchandise
zefreak
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
United States2731 Posts
December 28 2012 09:02 GMT
#208
On December 28 2012 17:59 Soma.bokforlag wrote:
so sad.. i hope this trend of pressure that everyone should look exactly the same doesnt spread, but that these asian countries get their shit together.

supernova used to be so cute, now he looks just like everyone else

i know its hard to be different when youre young, but when you get older youll find it helped build character and that it is important to accept who you are

these kind of things doesnt change just because you fix your eyes.. next you start to notice your teeth arent perfect, or maybe your ears. that little tummy?

the best thing supernova could have done for his money is meet a good therapist that coult have helped him love his own look and be comfortable with being who he is


Your looks have nothing to do with who you are. This is what I'm talking about.
www.gosu-sc.com - Starcraft News, Strategy and Merchandise
Jibba
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States22883 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-12-28 09:07:21
December 28 2012 09:03 GMT
#209
On December 28 2012 18:01 zefreak wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 28 2012 17:57 Jibba wrote:
On December 28 2012 17:49 zefreak wrote:
On December 28 2012 17:45 Jibba wrote:
On December 28 2012 17:33 zefreak wrote:
On December 28 2012 17:25 Canucklehead wrote:
On December 28 2012 17:22 zefreak wrote:
I feel like Asian societies are actually far more progressive regarding body image and identity than most Western societies,


Huh, that's not being more progressive, that's being more superficial, which is saying something since the west is already pretty superficial themselves.


I feel like it's more progressive because it tears away yet another arbitrary taboo. If people want to look a certain way, and almost everyone wants to look a certain way whether they admit it not, they should be able to without shame or dishonesty. Wanting to look a certain way is not superficial, ONLY CARING ABOUT LOOKS would be superficial.

I feel like you're missing the pressures that often cause people to want to change how they look, ESPECIALLY in some Asian societies. Shame is on the other end of the equation.


The pressures are there, but the problem isn't cosmetic surgery. In fact, it's the solution. You think there aren't equivalent pressures in other parts of the world? Fact is, ugly people are just ignored here in the US. If you aren't born with the right combination of genes, good luck being successful in business and romance, because your options are much more limited than if you are tall, white and handsome.

I feel like people rightly grasp the problem of social pressures regarding looks and then wrongly see plastic surgery as the problem. If 'social pressure' is one side of the equation, it is the same in every country in the world. If plastic surgery was as cheap everywhere as it is in korea, if the surgeons were as experienced and if there weren't taboos against changing your genetically determined appearance then it would be just as popular everywhere. Not because social pressures would necessarily increase but because the deterrent factors would be decreased.

I'm not saying plastic surgery should be a taboo or looked down upon, I'm saying your interpretation of it being a more progressive system is off.


Please explain why a society that is accepting of plastic surgery isn't more progressive than one that is not. I feel like I could possibly convince you if I knew exactly what your arguments were.

Granted, I'm an atheist transhumanist who thinks I should be able to have bunny ears and giant Angelina Jolie lips if I so desire.
Because if you got bunny ears and Angelina Jolie lips, they would mock you mercilessly for looking so weird, and you would be treated much, much worse. Like I said, the shame is on the other end of the equation. They're getting it to fit in to the norm, not to make themselves unique.

It's not simply that they're ok with plastic surgery (which they're not entirely, btw.) It's also that they're very judgmental if you don't look a certain way, thus people get the plastic surgery to look that way.

This is the kind of thing Gangnam Style was actually about, and why PSY getting big was interesting. The whole thing was a social commentary.
ModeratorNow I'm distant, dark in this anthrobeat
zefreak
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
United States2731 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-12-28 09:13:33
December 28 2012 09:08 GMT
#210
On December 28 2012 18:03 Jibba wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 28 2012 18:01 zefreak wrote:
On December 28 2012 17:57 Jibba wrote:
On December 28 2012 17:49 zefreak wrote:
On December 28 2012 17:45 Jibba wrote:
On December 28 2012 17:33 zefreak wrote:
On December 28 2012 17:25 Canucklehead wrote:
On December 28 2012 17:22 zefreak wrote:
I feel like Asian societies are actually far more progressive regarding body image and identity than most Western societies,


Huh, that's not being more progressive, that's being more superficial, which is saying something since the west is already pretty superficial themselves.


I feel like it's more progressive because it tears away yet another arbitrary taboo. If people want to look a certain way, and almost everyone wants to look a certain way whether they admit it not, they should be able to without shame or dishonesty. Wanting to look a certain way is not superficial, ONLY CARING ABOUT LOOKS would be superficial.

I feel like you're missing the pressures that often cause people to want to change how they look, ESPECIALLY in some Asian societies. Shame is on the other end of the equation.


The pressures are there, but the problem isn't cosmetic surgery. In fact, it's the solution. You think there aren't equivalent pressures in other parts of the world? Fact is, ugly people are just ignored here in the US. If you aren't born with the right combination of genes, good luck being successful in business and romance, because your options are much more limited than if you are tall, white and handsome.

I feel like people rightly grasp the problem of social pressures regarding looks and then wrongly see plastic surgery as the problem. If 'social pressure' is one side of the equation, it is the same in every country in the world. If plastic surgery was as cheap everywhere as it is in korea, if the surgeons were as experienced and if there weren't taboos against changing your genetically determined appearance then it would be just as popular everywhere. Not because social pressures would necessarily increase but because the deterrent factors would be decreased.

I'm not saying plastic surgery should be a taboo or looked down upon, I'm saying your interpretation of it being a more progressive system is off.


Please explain why a society that is accepting of plastic surgery isn't more progressive than one that is not. I feel like I could possibly convince you if I knew exactly what your arguments were.

Granted, I'm an atheist transhumanist who thinks I should be able to have bunny ears and giant Angelina Jolie lips if I so desire.
Because if you got bunny ears and Angelina Jolie lips, they would mock you mercilessly for looking so weird, and you would be treated much, much worse. Like I said, the shame is on the other end of the equation. They're getting it to fit in to the norm, not to make themselves unique.


Perhaps I wasn't clear. I'm not saying that Korea is more progressive because they don't have beauty standards or pressure to conform to them (every country does, and while korea has head-to-body ratio and S curves, the west has the golden hip-waist-chest ratio and other standards). I'm saying that their acceptance of drastic physical feature modification is progressive. If you could magically remove beauty standards and social pressure from both the US and Korea, which country do you think would have people running around with bunny ears and which wouldn't because it's not 'natural'?

In other words, don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. These discussions always devolve into people bashing plastic surgery when the real criticism should be aimed at the tendency for societies to pressure people to look a certain way, whether it is korea or the US.
www.gosu-sc.com - Starcraft News, Strategy and Merchandise
Mortal
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
2943 Posts
December 28 2012 09:10 GMT
#211
what? the literal. fuck?

what?
The universe created an audience for itself.
Jibba
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States22883 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-12-28 09:16:31
December 28 2012 09:14 GMT
#212
On December 28 2012 18:08 zefreak wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 28 2012 18:03 Jibba wrote:
On December 28 2012 18:01 zefreak wrote:
On December 28 2012 17:57 Jibba wrote:
On December 28 2012 17:49 zefreak wrote:
On December 28 2012 17:45 Jibba wrote:
On December 28 2012 17:33 zefreak wrote:
On December 28 2012 17:25 Canucklehead wrote:
On December 28 2012 17:22 zefreak wrote:
I feel like Asian societies are actually far more progressive regarding body image and identity than most Western societies,


Huh, that's not being more progressive, that's being more superficial, which is saying something since the west is already pretty superficial themselves.


I feel like it's more progressive because it tears away yet another arbitrary taboo. If people want to look a certain way, and almost everyone wants to look a certain way whether they admit it not, they should be able to without shame or dishonesty. Wanting to look a certain way is not superficial, ONLY CARING ABOUT LOOKS would be superficial.

I feel like you're missing the pressures that often cause people to want to change how they look, ESPECIALLY in some Asian societies. Shame is on the other end of the equation.


The pressures are there, but the problem isn't cosmetic surgery. In fact, it's the solution. You think there aren't equivalent pressures in other parts of the world? Fact is, ugly people are just ignored here in the US. If you aren't born with the right combination of genes, good luck being successful in business and romance, because your options are much more limited than if you are tall, white and handsome.

I feel like people rightly grasp the problem of social pressures regarding looks and then wrongly see plastic surgery as the problem. If 'social pressure' is one side of the equation, it is the same in every country in the world. If plastic surgery was as cheap everywhere as it is in korea, if the surgeons were as experienced and if there weren't taboos against changing your genetically determined appearance then it would be just as popular everywhere. Not because social pressures would necessarily increase but because the deterrent factors would be decreased.

I'm not saying plastic surgery should be a taboo or looked down upon, I'm saying your interpretation of it being a more progressive system is off.


Please explain why a society that is accepting of plastic surgery isn't more progressive than one that is not. I feel like I could possibly convince you if I knew exactly what your arguments were.

Granted, I'm an atheist transhumanist who thinks I should be able to have bunny ears and giant Angelina Jolie lips if I so desire.
Because if you got bunny ears and Angelina Jolie lips, they would mock you mercilessly for looking so weird, and you would be treated much, much worse. Like I said, the shame is on the other end of the equation. They're getting it to fit in to the norm, not to make themselves unique.


Perhaps I wasn't clear. I'm not saying that Korea is more progressive because they don't have beauty standards or pressure to conform to them (every country does, and while korea has head-to-body ratio and S curves, the west has the golden hip-waist-chest ratio and other standards). I'm saying that their acceptance of drastic physical feature modification is progressive. If you could magically remove beauty standards and social pressure from both the US and Korea, which country do you think would have people running around with bunny ears and which wouldn't because it's not 'natural'?

There's already plenty of Americans who do this so I don' know. It's a bad hypothetical.


In other words, don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. These discussions always devolve into people bashing plastic surgery when the real criticism should be aimed at the tendency for societies to pressure people to look a certain way, whether it is korea or the US.
I'm really not. I don't think better or worse of anyone for doing it, even the really bizarre ones. It just makes me sad when people don't like the way they look, especially if it's from an external, mean source.
ModeratorNow I'm distant, dark in this anthrobeat
Canucklehead
Profile Joined March 2011
Canada5074 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-12-28 09:21:27
December 28 2012 09:16 GMT
#213
On December 28 2012 18:01 zefreak wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 28 2012 17:57 Jibba wrote:
On December 28 2012 17:49 zefreak wrote:
On December 28 2012 17:45 Jibba wrote:
On December 28 2012 17:33 zefreak wrote:
On December 28 2012 17:25 Canucklehead wrote:
On December 28 2012 17:22 zefreak wrote:
I feel like Asian societies are actually far more progressive regarding body image and identity than most Western societies,


Huh, that's not being more progressive, that's being more superficial, which is saying something since the west is already pretty superficial themselves.


I feel like it's more progressive because it tears away yet another arbitrary taboo. If people want to look a certain way, and almost everyone wants to look a certain way whether they admit it not, they should be able to without shame or dishonesty. Wanting to look a certain way is not superficial, ONLY CARING ABOUT LOOKS would be superficial.

I feel like you're missing the pressures that often cause people to want to change how they look, ESPECIALLY in some Asian societies. Shame is on the other end of the equation.


The pressures are there, but the problem isn't cosmetic surgery. In fact, it's the solution. You think there aren't equivalent pressures in other parts of the world? Fact is, ugly people are just ignored here in the US. If you aren't born with the right combination of genes, good luck being successful in business and romance, because your options are much more limited than if you are tall, white and handsome.

I feel like people rightly grasp the problem of social pressures regarding looks and then wrongly see plastic surgery as the problem. If 'social pressure' is one side of the equation, it is the same in every country in the world. If plastic surgery was as cheap everywhere as it is in korea, if the surgeons were as experienced and if there weren't taboos against changing your genetically determined appearance then it would be just as popular everywhere. Not because social pressures would necessarily increase but because the deterrent factors would be decreased.

I'm not saying plastic surgery should be a taboo or looked down upon, I'm saying your interpretation of it being a more progressive system is off.


Please explain why a society that is accepting of plastic surgery isn't more progressive than one that is not.


Because you're missing the reason why they're accepting of plastic surgery. It's because the country is very superficial and cares about looks a lot. That is why they're accepting of plastic surgery because everyone wants to make themselves better looking due to the way people who aren't great looking are treated.

You're acting like it's some progressive thing like giving women the right to vote or something, instead of the superficial reason that everyone just wants to be better looking due to societal pressures, so that's why they accept it.
Top 10 favourite pros: MKP, MVP, MC, Nestea, DRG, Jaedong, Flash, Life, Creator, Leenock
zefreak
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
United States2731 Posts
December 28 2012 09:17 GMT
#214
On December 28 2012 17:57 Jibba wrote:


ETisME sums it up well.


You realize that he isn't necessarily condemning plastic surgery? His point is that they feel pressured to get it and then when the do, people from western society criticize them and shame them for doing so.

"The society sucks too hard.

They don't show sympathy to people who aren't good looking.
They had to get their face changed to have some progress yet they receive another society hate when they find out they had surgery.

I think Taiwan and korea are more or less the only society where surgeries are common and won't be looked down upon."
www.gosu-sc.com - Starcraft News, Strategy and Merchandise
Jibba
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States22883 Posts
December 28 2012 09:19 GMT
#215
On December 28 2012 18:17 zefreak wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 28 2012 17:57 Jibba wrote:


ETisME sums it up well.

You realize that he isn't necessarily condemning plastic surgery?

I haven't condemned it anywhere either. His point is both sides to it suck, and I agree.
ModeratorNow I'm distant, dark in this anthrobeat
iGX
Profile Joined June 2010
Australia414 Posts
December 28 2012 09:21 GMT
#216
On December 28 2012 13:24 neoghaleon55 wrote:
omg he looks like NADA!



supernova's body thread!

new look, new year, new game!
When your bases are ashes...then you have my permission to "GG".
NotoriousBig
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
Germany301 Posts
December 28 2012 09:24 GMT
#217
Wow, now he looks very cute i would say
Eufouria
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United Kingdom4425 Posts
December 28 2012 09:25 GMT
#218
On December 28 2012 18:08 zefreak wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 28 2012 18:03 Jibba wrote:
On December 28 2012 18:01 zefreak wrote:
On December 28 2012 17:57 Jibba wrote:
On December 28 2012 17:49 zefreak wrote:
On December 28 2012 17:45 Jibba wrote:
On December 28 2012 17:33 zefreak wrote:
On December 28 2012 17:25 Canucklehead wrote:
On December 28 2012 17:22 zefreak wrote:
I feel like Asian societies are actually far more progressive regarding body image and identity than most Western societies,


Huh, that's not being more progressive, that's being more superficial, which is saying something since the west is already pretty superficial themselves.


I feel like it's more progressive because it tears away yet another arbitrary taboo. If people want to look a certain way, and almost everyone wants to look a certain way whether they admit it not, they should be able to without shame or dishonesty. Wanting to look a certain way is not superficial, ONLY CARING ABOUT LOOKS would be superficial.

I feel like you're missing the pressures that often cause people to want to change how they look, ESPECIALLY in some Asian societies. Shame is on the other end of the equation.


The pressures are there, but the problem isn't cosmetic surgery. In fact, it's the solution. You think there aren't equivalent pressures in other parts of the world? Fact is, ugly people are just ignored here in the US. If you aren't born with the right combination of genes, good luck being successful in business and romance, because your options are much more limited than if you are tall, white and handsome.

I feel like people rightly grasp the problem of social pressures regarding looks and then wrongly see plastic surgery as the problem. If 'social pressure' is one side of the equation, it is the same in every country in the world. If plastic surgery was as cheap everywhere as it is in korea, if the surgeons were as experienced and if there weren't taboos against changing your genetically determined appearance then it would be just as popular everywhere. Not because social pressures would necessarily increase but because the deterrent factors would be decreased.

I'm not saying plastic surgery should be a taboo or looked down upon, I'm saying your interpretation of it being a more progressive system is off.


Please explain why a society that is accepting of plastic surgery isn't more progressive than one that is not. I feel like I could possibly convince you if I knew exactly what your arguments were.

Granted, I'm an atheist transhumanist who thinks I should be able to have bunny ears and giant Angelina Jolie lips if I so desire.
Because if you got bunny ears and Angelina Jolie lips, they would mock you mercilessly for looking so weird, and you would be treated much, much worse. Like I said, the shame is on the other end of the equation. They're getting it to fit in to the norm, not to make themselves unique.


Perhaps I wasn't clear. I'm not saying that Korea is more progressive because they don't have beauty standards or pressure to conform to them (every country does, and while korea has head-to-body ratio and S curves, the west has the golden hip-waist-chest ratio and other standards). I'm saying that their acceptance of drastic physical feature modification is progressive. If you could magically remove beauty standards and social pressure from both the US and Korea, which country do you think would have people running around with bunny ears and which wouldn't because it's not 'natural'?

In other words, don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. These discussions always devolve into people bashing plastic surgery when the real criticism should be aimed at the tendency for societies to pressure people to look a certain way, whether it is korea or the US.

Korea is much further from removing beauty standards though, that's a much more realistic (although still highly improbable) idea in the US. Korea might be more progressive in terms of acceptance of plastic surgery, but it is way behind overall in terms of acceptance of anything other than the golden beauty standards.

Every country has ideals of beauty, but in the west we've moved on from whiter is better. Also on the subway here in London there are way more people, than in Seoul, who clearly don't care about how they look very much. That alone shows how much more pressure there is in korea.
zefreak
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
United States2731 Posts
December 28 2012 09:26 GMT
#219
On December 28 2012 18:14 Jibba wrote:
I'm really not. I don't think better or worse of anyone for doing it, even the really bizarre ones. It just makes me sad when people don't like the way they look, especially if it's from an external, mean source.


That's fair, although I think very few people actually do like the way they look. The fact that in Korea (and Japan and China) plastic surgery is such a readily available option means that people that are dissatisfied can change that.

I agree that the optimal state of affairs would be that people are happy with their appearance from the start, but that is so far-fetched it's hardly worth entertaining. It's like complaining about greed, or jealousy. People are going to be dissatisfied with their looks, as they are in most areas of their lives. It's what keeps us moving.

To be fair, I'm coming from a position of having inherited a very annoying skin condition. I am not happy with my body although I am happy with myself as a person. It doesn't bother me that much but I would have no qualms with performing surgery to change it and other features that I find sub-optimal, if the price was right (it isn't). I don't see how anyone can disagree with that .
www.gosu-sc.com - Starcraft News, Strategy and Merchandise
zefreak
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
United States2731 Posts
December 28 2012 09:31 GMT
#220
On December 28 2012 18:25 Eufouria wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 28 2012 18:08 zefreak wrote:
On December 28 2012 18:03 Jibba wrote:
On December 28 2012 18:01 zefreak wrote:
On December 28 2012 17:57 Jibba wrote:
On December 28 2012 17:49 zefreak wrote:
On December 28 2012 17:45 Jibba wrote:
On December 28 2012 17:33 zefreak wrote:
On December 28 2012 17:25 Canucklehead wrote:
On December 28 2012 17:22 zefreak wrote:
I feel like Asian societies are actually far more progressive regarding body image and identity than most Western societies,


Huh, that's not being more progressive, that's being more superficial, which is saying something since the west is already pretty superficial themselves.


I feel like it's more progressive because it tears away yet another arbitrary taboo. If people want to look a certain way, and almost everyone wants to look a certain way whether they admit it not, they should be able to without shame or dishonesty. Wanting to look a certain way is not superficial, ONLY CARING ABOUT LOOKS would be superficial.

I feel like you're missing the pressures that often cause people to want to change how they look, ESPECIALLY in some Asian societies. Shame is on the other end of the equation.


The pressures are there, but the problem isn't cosmetic surgery. In fact, it's the solution. You think there aren't equivalent pressures in other parts of the world? Fact is, ugly people are just ignored here in the US. If you aren't born with the right combination of genes, good luck being successful in business and romance, because your options are much more limited than if you are tall, white and handsome.

I feel like people rightly grasp the problem of social pressures regarding looks and then wrongly see plastic surgery as the problem. If 'social pressure' is one side of the equation, it is the same in every country in the world. If plastic surgery was as cheap everywhere as it is in korea, if the surgeons were as experienced and if there weren't taboos against changing your genetically determined appearance then it would be just as popular everywhere. Not because social pressures would necessarily increase but because the deterrent factors would be decreased.

I'm not saying plastic surgery should be a taboo or looked down upon, I'm saying your interpretation of it being a more progressive system is off.


Please explain why a society that is accepting of plastic surgery isn't more progressive than one that is not. I feel like I could possibly convince you if I knew exactly what your arguments were.

Granted, I'm an atheist transhumanist who thinks I should be able to have bunny ears and giant Angelina Jolie lips if I so desire.
Because if you got bunny ears and Angelina Jolie lips, they would mock you mercilessly for looking so weird, and you would be treated much, much worse. Like I said, the shame is on the other end of the equation. They're getting it to fit in to the norm, not to make themselves unique.


Perhaps I wasn't clear. I'm not saying that Korea is more progressive because they don't have beauty standards or pressure to conform to them (every country does, and while korea has head-to-body ratio and S curves, the west has the golden hip-waist-chest ratio and other standards). I'm saying that their acceptance of drastic physical feature modification is progressive. If you could magically remove beauty standards and social pressure from both the US and Korea, which country do you think would have people running around with bunny ears and which wouldn't because it's not 'natural'?

In other words, don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. These discussions always devolve into people bashing plastic surgery when the real criticism should be aimed at the tendency for societies to pressure people to look a certain way, whether it is korea or the US.

Korea is much further from removing beauty standards though, that's a much more realistic (although still highly improbable) idea in the US. Korea might be more progressive in terms of acceptance of plastic surgery, but it is way behind overall in terms of acceptance of anything other than the golden beauty standards.

Every country has ideals of beauty, but in the west we've moved on from whiter is better. Also on the subway here in London there are way more people, than in Seoul, who clearly don't care about how they look very much. That alone shows how much more pressure there is in korea.


I guess I agree with this, and I hope it changes. Perhaps there wasn't a real disagreement after all, although I feel most people have more of an 'ick' reaction to plastic surgery than caring about beauty standards and pressure.
www.gosu-sc.com - Starcraft News, Strategy and Merchandise
Prev 1 9 10 11 12 13 30 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 6h 38m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
PiGStarcraft394
RuFF_SC2 210
Nina 98
-ZergGirl 72
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2162
Bale 20
sorry 17
yabsab 15
Terrorterran 11
910 10
Icarus 3
Dota 2
LuMiX1
League of Legends
JimRising 671
Counter-Strike
Coldzera 1119
taco 487
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox776
Other Games
summit1g8723
Day[9].tv462
WinterStarcraft399
C9.Mang0236
Livibee161
Sick126
Maynarde122
ViBE94
ArmadaUGS44
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick842
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream148
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Response 8
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 4
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota274
League of Legends
• Stunt345
Other Games
• Day9tv462
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
6h 38m
Stellar Fest
8h 38m
The PondCast
1d 5h
OSC
1d 8h
Stellar Fest
1d 8h
OSC
1d 19h
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
[ Show More ]
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.