• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 22:27
CEST 04:27
KST 11:27
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 5995 users

Nobody Plays 1v1 Ladder Anymore? - Page 56

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 54 55 56 57 58 86 Next
Gyro_SC2
Profile Joined November 2010
Canada540 Posts
February 19 2012 15:33 GMT
#1101
Blizzard ban hacker and less hacker each new season.
Monkeyballs25
Profile Joined October 2010
531 Posts
February 19 2012 16:26 GMT
#1102
Most of my friends never really got into 1v1 ladder, we just played custom games and spectated each others 2v2s and 1v1s. They all came over from WoW duringa quiet period, and mostly went back once new content came out.

If I was a casual player, I'd be very turned off by the current state of bronze league. Loads of bad manners, cheese, portrait farmers, smurfs etc.
HuKPOWA
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United States1604 Posts
February 19 2012 16:32 GMT
#1103
On February 19 2012 18:36 Liquid`Jinro wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 19 2012 17:51 ZiegFeld wrote:
I don't get why you people stop playing below top Masters level though. Cheeses are equivalent to free wins, which allows you to play better players that don't cheese.

Unless your skill level doesn't permit you to block cheeses, in which case you would probably lose every single game against skilled macro players.

There are lots of builds that take close to 0 skill to execute but will give you free wins vs a lot of normal openings. It's stupid.

Protoss allins are the worst (literally does not take any skill what so ever to execute mass gateway builds, just warpin and force field the bunkers and wait for terran to die/win depending on what build the terran picked), but terran and zerg allins aren't exactly brimming with skill requirement either.


lol bias much? pretty sure six pooling with all ur drones is much easier...no...it is easier...

Just b/c u dont know how to hold off protoss cheese doesn't mean you have to say it takes 0 skill :\ sad to see a pro player making such a dumb statement
Apack
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
Canada159 Posts
February 19 2012 17:50 GMT
#1104
On February 19 2012 17:56 Wi)nD wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 19 2012 14:58 Apack wrote:
On February 19 2012 13:10 Blario wrote:
I think we should add another option to the poll.

"Get all-ined every game"


Yeah this is why I don't play a ton. Like I want to play long macro games and instead I just hold off all-ins or mass void rays or mass cloak bansees. Today I got 6 pooled 4 times (though it is ZvZ and no one like playing it), 4 gated 3 times, 3 raxed, and 8 gate Dark Templared



LOL sounds like a tipical aweseme ladder day

im curious bout the 4 gates tho, wat div are you?


EDIT: also** to the ppl sayint that the micro macro (multitasking) is hard and makes it less fun to play, i guess you never played bw b/c bw was alot more demanding interms of mutitasking


I'm high bronze so they are pretty poorly executed and I hold them but its just annoying to have a bunch of 7 minute games
nemonic
Profile Joined November 2011
132 Posts
February 19 2012 18:20 GMT
#1105
On February 19 2012 18:36 Liquid`Jinro wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 19 2012 17:51 ZiegFeld wrote:
I don't get why you people stop playing below top Masters level though. Cheeses are equivalent to free wins, which allows you to play better players that don't cheese.

Unless your skill level doesn't permit you to block cheeses, in which case you would probably lose every single game against skilled macro players.

There are lots of builds that take close to 0 skill to execute but will give you free wins vs a lot of normal openings. It's stupid.

Protoss allins are the worst (literally does not take any skill what so ever to execute mass gateway builds, just warpin and force field the bunkers and wait for terran to die/win depending on what build the terran picked), but terran and zerg allins aren't exactly brimming with skill requirement either.


That sums it up quite well. The game doesn't reward skillful play enough. In terms of the ladder, there are too many people in Masters that can play nothing except for their standard cheese/allin in each of their three matchups.

For my part, I usually seek for playing macro games. However, it's easy to lose your motivation if you get all-ined five times a row on ladder. That's usually when I stop playing the game for days, because it's just not fun anymore. Also, we still have gold minerals, close spawns on Antiga/Entombed in the ladder mappool (at least they kicked out Xelnaga). So the situation is particularly worse for laddering than for tournaments (and I usually don't play tournaments).

Basically, the game has evolved from mostly one base all-ins to mostly two base all-ins in the last year. Although things are getting more balanced, I kind of fear that Blizzard will do the same mistakes with HotS again. Also it feels like there are some aspects of the game that are just funamentally bad designed, with Warpgate-Tech being the prime example. I truly hope Blizzard considers these aspects in HotS...
dizzy101
Profile Joined August 2010
Netherlands2066 Posts
February 19 2012 18:34 GMT
#1106
Blizzard must do something to incentivize 1v1-ing. Make it more social, add features, whatever it is... Hopefully HotS will implement some changes that make people move from customs back to 1v1-ing. (I don't think it has anything to do with all-ins or gameplay styles.)
scypio
Profile Joined December 2011
Poland2127 Posts
February 19 2012 19:49 GMT
#1107
Well, I think that it's the nature of 1v1 that is not that entertaining after a while.

Losing is not fun at all. The matchmaking system will keep you loosing a ton of games. Yeah, sometimes it kinda works out and I go on a nice winning streak. In most cases I don't and well, loosing sucks. In team games I can always blame the defeat on the other guys and that makes the stress go away.

This does not work in 1v1, so I find myself drifting towards solutions like: "don't do 1v1" or "always quit after first 1v1 victory". I guess there is the option where I go and improve my sc2 skills. Well guess what: even if I do that I'll still loose games, the only thing that would be different is the league I'm in.

After having to deal with a ton of stress at work I just don't feel like having to deal with it once again during my free time. I'd rather chill out, play some 4v4s, watch GSL.
I play random | I like Hots | INnoVation | sOs | Tefel TOP1!
UisTehSux
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States693 Posts
February 19 2012 19:58 GMT
#1108
Laddering to 'stressful'. By that I mean I am too lazy to keep up with all of the strategies that are evolving constantly, and when I am beat in a legitimate game, I am fine. But when I am beaten because of some grand micro mistake that shouldn't have happened (misclicked) or I am cheesed, I get very frustrated. I know it's childish, but I don't like build-order losses.


And the unnecessary BM that usually comes when a cheeser is beating you. I hate the feeling of being grossly involved in a long macro game and at some time in the game just PLUMMET into a loss. Or an intense micro-against-this-cheese-perfectly-or-you-lose kind of game and just hating myself for clicking the wrong unit or pushing the wrong button.

I know for some this may be the beauty of the game and this competitive nature might drive others to better their game, but I would rather have a couple alcoholic beverages, go on skype, and do some team games for some laughs with my friends.
I underestimated that boy. No... it was not the boy I underestimated, it was the Triforce of Courage.
CallousCarter
Profile Joined December 2011
United Kingdom81 Posts
February 19 2012 20:31 GMT
#1109
I think of the big problems is the game is hard. To be any good at it you have to invest a lot of time playing it, Which can community members are all too quick to remind you of.

I think a change to the ladder system could a lot. In its current form its fucking terrible, it fails to motivate casual or engage /hardcore players. Its obtuse, overly complex and nearly entirely devoid of significance. It's clear Blizzard put a lot of thought [ makes me so dissapointed they got it so wrong.
jameszz
Profile Joined July 2011
United Kingdom8 Posts
February 19 2012 21:47 GMT
#1110
1 v 1 can be stressful for certain people, just BM, cheeser and all-ins..plus I think it is more fun to play in team matches, less pressure on yourself to perform and a lot more chilled out.
DaRkFrosT
Profile Joined September 2010
United States407 Posts
February 19 2012 22:25 GMT
#1111
I dont understand why everyone here is complaining about the 1v1 ladder system. Absolutely nothing is wrong with it. You deal with a different situation every time, which hones your decision making and overall gameplay. It teaches you how to react to different situations. I believe you become a better player by knowing how to deal with every given situation. Starcraft 2 is meant to be a competitive 1v1 game. It isn't for casuals. It was designed to be competitive in nature, with the aim of becoming a top e-sport. Blizzard has Diablo 3, and World of Warcraft for casuals, with different difficulty modes in both games.
Libera me from hell.
IMoperator
Profile Joined October 2011
4476 Posts
February 19 2012 22:49 GMT
#1112
Whenever I play it's either: a. Holding off an all in (3 gate void, 4 gate, 3 gate immortal, 1/1/1 tank marine viking, reaper/hellion drop, baneling bust, roach bust, 10 minute roach bane bust) or b. Extremely long games where I lose vs. either mass broodlord/ultra and infestors, or colossus templar.
Falcons_Kaz
Profile Joined December 2011
Canada15 Posts
February 19 2012 22:52 GMT
#1113
I don`t play 1`s as much anymore cause for some reason i find more enjoyment in playing 2s and 3`s and 4`s with my best friends and we usually go on long game streaks and i only go on when i don`t have college assignments and usually my friends don`t either and we just go teams all the way...
I only need one person in my life, Jisook. =`3
AnachronisticAnarchy
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States2957 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-19 23:07:18
February 19 2012 23:06 GMT
#1114
I find it hard to ladder mainly because it seems like there is no fucking point to it.
I start up a game. I win or I lose, and my points, division rank and mmr are affected accordingly. Maaaybe I'll get promoted, but that's rare. And that's it. Nothing else happens. That's a problem.
Most people I know can't play a game, doing the same exact thing over and over for negligible rewards. There is next to no reason to play both short term and long term if all you do is ladder, unless you are really competitive.
Without things like automated tournaments, many, many people will stop playing sc2 because it is the same old thing, over and over. It stops feeling competitive. It doesn't feel like you're facing players, it feels like you're facing silver league, for example. You stop getting that rush.
sc2 has next to no staying power because of these aspects. lans and tournaments help, because they feel like what you do there actually matters. If lans and tournaments matter, then people will ladder, but not for fun, because it just isn't fun after a certain amount of time. They will do it because they need practice and they want to be better. Their competitive spirit will be revived.
We need automated tournaments or something like them to give sc2 the staying power it deserves and win back a ton of players.
"How are you?" "I am fine, because it is not normal to scream in pain."
Ryndika
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
1489 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-20 07:58:20
February 20 2012 07:55 GMT
#1115
On February 20 2012 08:06 AnachronisticAnarchy wrote:
I find it hard to ladder mainly because it seems like there is no fucking point to it.
I start up a game. I win or I lose, and my points, division rank and mmr are affected accordingly. Maaaybe I'll get promoted, but that's rare. And that's it. Nothing else happens. That's a problem.
Most people I know can't play a game, doing the same exact thing over and over for negligible rewards. There is next to no reason to play both short term and long term if all you do is ladder, unless you are really competitive.
Without things like automated tournaments, many, many people will stop playing sc2 because it is the same old thing, over and over. It stops feeling competitive. It doesn't feel like you're facing players, it feels like you're facing silver league, for example. You stop getting that rush.
sc2 has next to no staying power because of these aspects. lans and tournaments help, because they feel like what you do there actually matters. If lans and tournaments matter, then people will ladder, but not for fun, because it just isn't fun after a certain amount of time. They will do it because they need practice and they want to be better. Their competitive spirit will be revived.
We need automated tournaments or something like them to give sc2 the staying power it deserves and win back a ton of players.

This isn't like wow, you play because you enjoy that EXACT match you are in now. That match is so fun you want to play more. Fuck points and leagues lol, there will be always better and worse players, you will always be called worse or bad player AND a good player from alot lower level players.

About cheese, I played 30games on new race just a second ago, countered 1 10 pool and 5 4gates (pvp). No other cheese, unless you count 1-1-1 (saw that twice or 3times). My friend who has played 30-50games in silver has encountered 6pool 0 times.
I myself was really surpirsed but lack of cheese in silver. O_O

e:Koth is nice social "tournament".

Battle.net is horrible btw.
as useful as teasalt
hzflank
Profile Joined August 2011
United Kingdom2991 Posts
February 20 2012 08:02 GMT
#1116
Reading some of this thread I am wondering if a lot of people don't like 1v1 ladder because they use the same build orders all the time. I don't use set builds and every game is different so it stays fresh for me, although perhaps I have not played as many games as some other people.
Pugwalker
Profile Joined September 2011
50 Posts
February 20 2012 08:03 GMT
#1117
You guys all try to justify the dip in sc2 activity with problems with the game but in fact it is just that games like Skyrim, BF3, and MW3 all just came out and people moved on from sc2 to those games.
SupLilSon
Profile Joined October 2011
Malaysia4123 Posts
February 20 2012 08:04 GMT
#1118
On February 20 2012 01:32 HuKPOWA wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 19 2012 18:36 Liquid`Jinro wrote:
On February 19 2012 17:51 ZiegFeld wrote:
I don't get why you people stop playing below top Masters level though. Cheeses are equivalent to free wins, which allows you to play better players that don't cheese.

Unless your skill level doesn't permit you to block cheeses, in which case you would probably lose every single game against skilled macro players.

There are lots of builds that take close to 0 skill to execute but will give you free wins vs a lot of normal openings. It's stupid.

Protoss allins are the worst (literally does not take any skill what so ever to execute mass gateway builds, just warpin and force field the bunkers and wait for terran to die/win depending on what build the terran picked), but terran and zerg allins aren't exactly brimming with skill requirement either.


lol bias much? pretty sure six pooling with all ur drones is much easier...no...it is easier...

Just b/c u dont know how to hold off protoss cheese doesn't mean you have to say it takes 0 skill :\ sad to see a pro player making such a dumb statement


Sad to see a random trying to tell a pro he's making a dumb statement... Give these guys some respect and acknowledge that they probably know a lot more about the game and what is skilled or not skilled.
nimbim
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Germany986 Posts
February 20 2012 08:11 GMT
#1119
I still play 1 or 2 ladder games occasionally, but, since the horrible map pool for many seasons, I have lost any real interest in the game.
Maybe Blizzard just gave SC2 a bad start; some of my friends for example have played SC2 for 1-2months and then dropped the game because of the horrible social features (no chat, lousy custom game system), they never came back. Back when BW came out I was often times forced to stop playing for several months or years, but I always came back to the game, even though I sucked at it and laddering (wgt etc) was too stressful.
MVega
Profile Joined November 2010
763 Posts
February 20 2012 08:15 GMT
#1120
On February 20 2012 17:04 SupLilSon wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 20 2012 01:32 HuKPOWA wrote:
On February 19 2012 18:36 Liquid`Jinro wrote:
On February 19 2012 17:51 ZiegFeld wrote:
I don't get why you people stop playing below top Masters level though. Cheeses are equivalent to free wins, which allows you to play better players that don't cheese.

Unless your skill level doesn't permit you to block cheeses, in which case you would probably lose every single game against skilled macro players.

There are lots of builds that take close to 0 skill to execute but will give you free wins vs a lot of normal openings. It's stupid.

Protoss allins are the worst (literally does not take any skill what so ever to execute mass gateway builds, just warpin and force field the bunkers and wait for terran to die/win depending on what build the terran picked), but terran and zerg allins aren't exactly brimming with skill requirement either.


lol bias much? pretty sure six pooling with all ur drones is much easier...no...it is easier...

Just b/c u dont know how to hold off protoss cheese doesn't mean you have to say it takes 0 skill :\ sad to see a pro player making such a dumb statement


Sad to see a random trying to tell a pro he's making a dumb statement... Give these guys some respect and acknowledge that they probably know a lot more about the game and what is skilled or not skilled.


Not really it's just that in major tournaments there is a bit of an honor system. You'll see things like six pool very rarely. You very rarely see cheese and all-in builds that you'd see on the ladder. It just happens that most of these builds will easily counter some of the standard openings. It's kind of a mentality thing. In tournaments you say "Well I can do this and be safe because it's extremely unlikely that my opponent will do this." but on the ladder just about anything goes and you can't expect to use the same builds. I've often suspected this while watching GSL, later confirmed it with some of my GM friends, and now Jinro has pretty much confirmed it too. Although Jinro also rages at marauders so who knows? <3
bumkin: How can you play like 50 games per day... I 4gate 2 times then it's nap time
Prev 1 54 55 56 57 58 86 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
Continental Nation League S1
CranKy Ducklings173
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 188
ProTech122
StarCraft: Brood War
Dewaltoss 247
Terrorterran 18
Bale 14
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm197
League of Legends
Doublelift5857
JimRising 736
Counter-Strike
taco 270
minikerr40
Other Games
summit1g13225
C9.Mang0459
PiLiPiLi16
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1165
BasetradeTV190
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream37
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP184
• Letter145
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 3
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
7h 33m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
8h 33m
Monday Night Weeklies
13h 33m
Replay Cast
20h 33m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 7h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 8h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 21h
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.