• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:47
CEST 22:47
KST 05:47
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Bot on ladder 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6163 users

Nobody Plays 1v1 Ladder Anymore? - Page 48

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 46 47 48 49 50 86 Next
ECA.BruTATroN
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States282 Posts
February 16 2012 18:53 GMT
#941
Ladder isnt ment for casual gamers. Its for players that want to be good. Ladder deserves respect and if you dont respect it then it delivers what the player deserves.
http://www.twitch.tv/brutatron
CalmKiwi
Profile Joined March 2011
12 Posts
February 17 2012 06:54 GMT
#942
I wonder when will sc2ranks post the statistics of Season 6, is it mid-seasons or when it wraps up ?
EienShinwa
Profile Joined May 2010
United States655 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-17 07:04:45
February 17 2012 07:04 GMT
#943
I don't understand people saying they look forward to HotS.... It looks like a completely different game... Starcraft used to be a game about micro, macro, and perfect positioning... not gimmicky stuff like blocking mineral patches, pulling units forward like a ganking move in MOBAs, and automated death sensors. Where is Starcraft degrading to...
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. Alice Roosevelt Longworth
hmunkey
Profile Joined August 2010
United Kingdom1973 Posts
February 17 2012 07:06 GMT
#944
Who would've thought that people would stop playing a game as time passed. Crazy.
SockArms
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States591 Posts
February 17 2012 07:09 GMT
#945
On February 17 2012 16:04 EienShinwa wrote:
I don't understand people saying they look forward to HotS.... It looks like a completely different game... Starcraft used to be a game about micro, macro, and perfect positioning... not gimmicky stuff like blocking mineral patches, pulling units forward like a ganking move in MOBAs, and automated death sensors. Where is Starcraft degrading to...

honestly I am not excited about HOTS at all

and to be relevant to this thread I palyed my placement today lost and got plat so no change. But the second I got msged by a friend we went and played 2v2's and honestly I'm not trying to go pro or anything so 2v2's and other team games are jsut more fun you can play with your friends. that to me is why 1v1 is getting smaller, well and the maps

Neutral supply depot pls
| Cloud9 | DK | Liquid |
Micro_Jackson
Profile Joined August 2011
Germany2002 Posts
February 17 2012 07:15 GMT
#946
It´s funny how fast these kind of threads gets into "BW is soooo much better and SC2 is soooo noob/bad/silly".

Maybe the different leagues hurt some people like "I play for 3 month and i´m still in silver". It´s better to have the illusion of beeing good that the knowing that 3+ leagues are in front of me to beeing "solid". Is there any data from other E-Sport oriented RTS Games available? Like WC3 or Supreme Commander?
int4ct
Profile Joined July 2011
Estonia4 Posts
February 17 2012 07:48 GMT
#947
I'm playing more with each season. Last season did over 200 games and planning to play more this season.
Got promoted to diamond.
satan
Klumpmeister
Profile Joined November 2011
United States31 Posts
February 17 2012 08:32 GMT
#948
Laddering is tough right at the beginning of a season.
Frogblast The Ventcore!
VoO
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
Germany278 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-17 08:37:48
February 17 2012 08:35 GMT
#949
I started playing Protoss in Beta since I played Protoss in BW. I played a few weeks and quit because the Beta was just bad. I took me 2 days to Gold and a week to Platinum. Once in Diamond I realized that Protoss has a very limitited choice tree with A/B-decisions and decided to switch to Terran.

I got into Master after playing 10 hours a day for 2 months. There I realized that the effort which it requires to bring the required skill for Master is very different from race to race. I couldn't bear the fact that a Protoss player who turtles in every matchup - except the mirror - and has a third of my APM can be Master; while I worked my ass of to get the necessary APM for High Masters and a perfect build order with constant aggression. Lategame is impossible for anyone who isn't pro which results in stupid all ins, which are btw far too strong and rewarding.

Finally, I realized that laddering is just pure stress and quit the attempt to become GM with Terran. Why should I train the whole day for something I could achieve with much less effort? Of course the matchmaking ideally matches you against opponents of the same strength which doesn't result in roflstomp-euphoristic moments which I had in DotA pubs. In this regard I really liked the more open WC3 ladder system.

Now I'm playing all races casually at Diamond/Master and might quit SC2 for the time being since it is far too unrefined and mis-designed and I personally don't see any chance for SC2 in the future with this kind of patch/addon politics. The designers of SC2 have ruined a few games in their life and currently make a good attempt to destroy StarCraft.

So my critique (not in a particular order) is:
1. Stress
2. Time
3. Imbalances/"unrefinement"/bad design
4. No social ingame community
5. Bad patch politics
♥ 김택용 ♥Casual Dwarf Fortress Progamer
aZealot
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
New Zealand5447 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-17 08:42:40
February 17 2012 08:36 GMT
#950
I'm starting to play 1v1 more rather than less. I had terrible ladder anxiety when I first started playing and spent season 1 and 2 messing around in random team games whilst making the occasional foray into 1v1. It was only in Season 3 that I started to get to grips with 1v1 and even then ladder anxiety was still an issue. It's a lot more manageable now due mainly to my looking for improvements in my own play and reminding myself that "more gg, more skill". I'm also at a point where I am starting to understand the game a lot more and this is feeding into me wanting to play a lot more and learn more.

That said, I still play a fair bit of team games in arranged teams with 2 good friends who are also into SC2. I sometimes think I am doing too much team play (especially 3v3) but it's cool hanging with good irl mates and messing about in the team format on SC2. That said, I do enjoy 2v2 a lot more when it comes to team play, as it seems a good blend of 1v1 and the team format. 3v3 is too much of a shit-fest for my liking and if not for my mates I would not play 3v3 and 4v4 ever again.

However, like a lot of other people, it is hard to devote enough time to SC2 to really improve. It is not a game I find I can relax to, at least not in 1v1, and sometimes (especially after a hard day or week) I'm just not in the mood to sit down and play games of SC2. It can also be hard to allocate hours to SC2 when you are busy doing other things like training or doing irl social stuff. After July, I'll be taking up some part time study (to improve my career prospects) while working full time and I think that may spell the end of SC2 for me as I doubt I will have the time to keep playing and improving. It's not really a game that can be played casually - at least not with any measure of satisfaction. I think this is a strength of the game ("SC2 is serious business") but also a weakness. Hence, it will really only attract a certain kind of gamer to stick with it over the long haul.
KT best KT ~ 2014
Nagano
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States1157 Posts
February 17 2012 08:46 GMT
#951
Love the game, but I'm honestly afraid of Hots. I play zerg, but I'm not looking forward to automated dota creep-like mechanics from the swarm host, the meathook pull from the viper, the automated damage sensor from the terran, and the mineral blocking of the oracle. The last two especially seem to go against everything starcraft is for, which is allowing for creative play through counters, run-by's, and mineral line harassment. The oracle's mineral block ability is just... one-dimensional and a pain in the ass to deal with for no cost.

I want to see SC2 flourish because I love it so far and want to see another RTS scene rise from the BW ashes, but the devs seem to be tinkering with it a little too much if you ask me.
“The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn.”
Shockk
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Germany2269 Posts
February 17 2012 09:06 GMT
#952
On February 17 2012 03:53 EntropyGamer wrote:
Ladder isnt ment for casual gamers. Its for players that want to be good. Ladder deserves respect and if you dont respect it then it delivers what the player deserves.


Except that the pool of players playing ladder will eventually die out if no new players are enticed to give it a try. What kept SC/BW and WC3's ladders going where all the amazing social features and the custom scene, which would constantly attract new players or motivate old ones to play, and some of which would eventually start playing ladder games.

So while your statement is true in essence (you could have done without the ridiculous "hurr durr internet badass respect ladder" part, though), you shouldn't scoff casual gamers as they're the ones maintaining a healthy player pool. Or rather would be, if SC2 did a good job at keeping them around, which it doesn't.
Technique
Profile Joined March 2010
Netherlands1542 Posts
February 17 2012 10:28 GMT
#953
Game is just not that good, i wait for a better rts game (which won't come, but ye).
If you think you're good, you suck. If you think you suck, you're getting better.
Garmer
Profile Joined October 2010
1286 Posts
February 17 2012 11:31 GMT
#954
if you want to diminish ladder fear, just talk with your opponent, it's a good way to relax
VoO
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
Germany278 Posts
February 17 2012 11:33 GMT
#955
On February 17 2012 20:31 Garmer wrote:
if you want to diminish ladder fear, just talk with your opponent, it's a good way to relax


Would be an option if not only 12-18 year olds would play in higher leagues who are immature and ruin the game. Made me quit SC2, the community is really really bad when you play the game.
♥ 김택용 ♥Casual Dwarf Fortress Progamer
Cereb
Profile Joined November 2011
Denmark3388 Posts
February 17 2012 11:39 GMT
#956
Am I the only one who doesn't think this is a big decline? Ladder is very unforgiving and yet still there are so many players playing - There's alot alot alot of games out there that litterally disappear after 2 years...
"Until the very very top in almost anything, all that matters is how much work you put in. The only problem is most people can't work hard even at things they do enjoy, much less things they don't have a real passion for. -Greg "IdrA" Fields
TheV
Profile Joined August 2010
Brazil107 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-17 11:41:18
February 17 2012 11:40 GMT
#957
On February 16 2012 14:01 kochanfe wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 13 2012 23:08 hzflank wrote:
Because it is not fun to play against abusers BM ers alliners.

Last time I played 99 percent of my games were 1 or 2 base allins(was mid masters).It is almost impossible to play a standard game...I would much rather to play custom games against similar skilled people.


I really dislike this mindset, and I think it is the cause of a lot of the bad manners that I encounter on the ladder.

I dont think there is any such thing as cheese or all-in. Aggressive strategies are a very important part of the game. I have noticed that the idea of cheese does not exist with koreans, and perhaps this is an important part of why they are so good.


Hahahaha

Bro, when a terran makes 2 banshees 6 marines and pull all his SCVs with it, it IS an All in. It is not an aggressive strategy, it is a desperate way to try to get ladder points.
Storm is coming that cannot be avoided.
Seeker *
Profile Blog Joined April 2005
Where dat snitch at?37118 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-17 11:53:44
February 17 2012 11:50 GMT
#958
nvm wrong thread

but since I'm posting in here.....

I truly believe that it's not really a case of ppl not laddering anymore. It's more of a case of excitement drop. When SC2 first came out, ppl were jumping all over the beta to play it. Then when it was released, it was the MUST BUY game of the year. but now a year 1/2 later, the excitement has died down u know?

Just my 2 cents
ModeratorPeople ask me, "Seeker, what are you seeking?" My answer? "Sleep, damn it! Always sleep!"
TL+ Member
teddyoojo
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
Germany22369 Posts
February 17 2012 12:29 GMT
#959
On February 17 2012 20:33 VoO wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 17 2012 20:31 Garmer wrote:
if you want to diminish ladder fear, just talk with your opponent, it's a good way to relax


Would be an option if not only 12-18 year olds would play in higher leagues who are immature and ruin the game. Made me quit SC2, the community is really really bad when you play the game.

welcome to the internet
its like that in every game, stop the tears
Esports historian since 2000. Creator of 'The Universe' and 'The best scrambled Eggs 2013'. Host of 'Star Wars Marathon 2015'. Thinker of 'teddyoojo's Thoughts'. Earths and Moons leading CS:GO expert. Lord of the Rings.
Penecks
Profile Joined August 2010
United States600 Posts
February 17 2012 12:44 GMT
#960
On February 17 2012 20:31 Garmer wrote:
if you want to diminish ladder fear, just talk with your opponent, it's a good way to relax


I start nearly every game with some random nonesense banter. Sometimes a song lyric, line from literature, what I ate, some news I read about etc. Half the time my opponents say nothing. Must be the same tryhards that ignore people while BMing them and never gg.
straight poppin
Prev 1 46 47 48 49 50 86 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 13m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 495
ProTech169
Railgan 77
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 1465
Trap 28
Bale 16
Dota 2
420jenkins536
Counter-Strike
fl0m4322
Fnx 630
minikerr2
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4418
Liquid`Hasu630
Other Games
summit1g4920
Liquid`RaSZi1780
FrodaN817
B2W.Neo488
XaKoH 278
ToD241
C9.Mang0114
RotterdaM97
QueenE65
JuggernautJason49
Mew2King32
PPMD22
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV235
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream16
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota21197
Other Games
• Shiphtur1076
• imaqtpie840
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
3h 13m
Patches Events
19h 13m
The PondCast
1d 13h
INu's Battles
1d 14h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.