• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:27
CEST 02:27
KST 09:27
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Dating: How's your luck?
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8756 users

Nobody Plays 1v1 Ladder Anymore? - Page 43

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 41 42 43 44 45 86 Next
DreamChaser
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
1649 Posts
February 15 2012 15:15 GMT
#841
On February 15 2012 23:11 darkscream wrote:
New season = everyone plays ladder

thread has become obsolete


No no no, everyone plays placement matches. Then they stop playing again.
Plays against every MU with nexus first.
Wildmoon
Profile Joined December 2011
Thailand4189 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-15 15:22:50
February 15 2012 15:17 GMT
#842
It's the same for BW and WC3 too. I am not sure why people are surprised about this. It's RTS game not WoW or ARTS. I still get a match pretty fast when I play. Most people I know stop playing just because they don't feel like they will improve.
[F_]aths
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Germany3947 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-15 15:29:36
February 15 2012 15:25 GMT
#843
On February 14 2012 21:30 Ganseng wrote:
i actually stopped laddering in the end of season 3 i believe, once i have reached the master league.
and then i played a couple of games for fun in the first decade of january. since then i haven't played scii whatsoever.
it was getting boring with all the stale match-ups and unreasonable (in my opinion) patching policy. and the hots announcement was just beyond terrible.
so... i could play starcraft again if hots looks reasonable. but judging by what we've seen, i doubt that :D
some tournaments might be entertaining (if i have nothing to do ), and sometimes i just want to relax moving a bunch of marines around, but not more than that. and it's probably not worth another 50 $ (and then another 50 $ in 2 years =))
so, the number of really lasting active players will decrease, it's natural. and blizz is contributing to it imo (or it could do more to keep us interested).

Match-ups are stale? You only get out what you put into it.
You don't choose to play zerg. The zerg choose you.
cutler
Profile Joined March 2010
Germany609 Posts
February 15 2012 15:32 GMT
#844
New season! Great new maps. I am totally lovin it! This season i will get my top Gold League Spot!
654321
Profile Joined December 2011
Belize100 Posts
February 15 2012 15:36 GMT
#845
Play Hero Attack. Fun and Easy mode. I don't really care about the over all player playing ladder because when I queue for a game on ladder, it happens almost instantaneously.
D10
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
Brazil3409 Posts
February 15 2012 15:40 GMT
#846
Laddering is very stressful, hard to find practice partners due to bad chat, and the more I dont play the less I want to
" We are not humans having spiritual experiences. - We are spirits having human experiences." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin
Cortza
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
South Africa328 Posts
February 15 2012 15:42 GMT
#847
On February 15 2012 23:11 Toadvine wrote:
With that said, SC2 just has too much randomness; you lose too many games with the enemy playing like shit, and also win too many games with yourself playing like shit. Also, the higher you get on the ladder, the more cheese and retarded shit you see. At least on Iccup you would pretty much get normal games past a certain point.


This is what irks me the most about ladder. The level of unpredictability and lack of solidness in play. I have seldom fist-pumped due to a win because I usually feel confused or bewildered at the end of a game, regardless of the outcome.
MVega
Profile Joined November 2010
763 Posts
February 15 2012 15:52 GMT
#848
The more I think about it the more I'm absolutely certain that it's mostly due to the shorter seasons. Obviously in a shorter season much fewer games will be played than in the older longer seasons. Also the game isn't brand new, so the more casual players will stop playing until the expansion comes out. You really don't have to worry, SC2 isn't dying or anything, it's normalizing as far as playing goes, but it's thriving as far as spectating goes. SC2 is fun to play, but it's much more fun to watch. Just like BW.
bumkin: How can you play like 50 games per day... I 4gate 2 times then it's nap time
Connor987
Profile Joined September 2011
United Kingdom103 Posts
February 15 2012 15:52 GMT
#849
its obvious casual players stop playing games, if you lose alot and dont look to improve you will soon get bored and move onto another game thats why its important to have small personal goals to stay motivated etc
ozeake
Profile Joined September 2010
Finland48 Posts
February 15 2012 15:54 GMT
#850
On February 15 2012 22:31 kusto wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 15 2012 22:28 Zanazuah wrote:
On February 15 2012 22:21 kusto wrote:
On February 15 2012 22:09 ozeake wrote:
Personally, I don't really ladder these days because it makes me angry.

Not just when I lose, mind - even when I win I get angry. If I win, I'm angry at the other person's lack of skill (since typically there will be some glaring mistake(s) they made) and if I lose, I'm angry at myself for not doing better. So, I save myself the aggravation and just don't play on the ladder.


Sorry but that's not ladder-specific at all.


Yes it is. He doesent get mad by team games or customs obviously.


Obviously people in team games and customs also make mistakes. And so does he.


Yes, but the point is that it is not the same situation. In custom games there is nothing at stake and most people don't take team games seriously.
Ignorance is the shield of a fool.
SoraLimit
Profile Joined February 2011
Canada747 Posts
February 15 2012 16:00 GMT
#851
On February 16 2012 00:15 DreamChaser wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 15 2012 23:11 darkscream wrote:
New season = everyone plays ladder

thread has become obsolete


No no no, everyone plays placement matches. Then they stop playing again.

It's pretty counterinituitive that people do this, since the ladder reset is suppose to show who is actually active in the game.
Linwelin
Profile Joined March 2011
Ireland7554 Posts
February 15 2012 16:03 GMT
#852
On February 16 2012 01:00 SoraLimit wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 16 2012 00:15 DreamChaser wrote:
On February 15 2012 23:11 darkscream wrote:
New season = everyone plays ladder

thread has become obsolete


No no no, everyone plays placement matches. Then they stop playing again.

It's pretty counterinituitive that people do this, since the ladder reset is suppose to show who is actually active in the game.


Many many people do this
Fuck Razor and Death Prophet
StrikeNova
Profile Joined December 2010
Canada47 Posts
February 15 2012 16:07 GMT
#853
I most players have regular commitments like school or work which impacts amount of games played in certain time periods, I'm sure the numbers will go up once summer starts...
Also having suddenly overcoming ladder fears somehow, I feel the urge to ladder but struggle to find time for it .
Speed of stupid is faster than speed of thought, which is proven when people type dumb stuff in chat
KimJongChill
Profile Joined January 2011
United States6429 Posts
February 15 2012 16:08 GMT
#854
I dunno, I guess I'm one of the few who have started to play more 1v1 ladder since release. I think the best part about the game is seeing yourself steadily improve.
MMA: U realise MMA: Most of my army EgIdra: fuck off MMA: Killed my orbital MMA: LOL MMA: just saying MMA: u werent loss
VoO
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
Germany278 Posts
February 15 2012 16:09 GMT
#855
New season began like the last one ended, 10 ZvZ in a row... I can understand many people crying over ladder since the race distribution is so one sided and of course you never clearly dominate or feel particular good since the matchmaking works this way.
♥ 김택용 ♥Casual Dwarf Fortress Progamer
Harbinger631
Profile Joined September 2010
United States376 Posts
February 15 2012 16:12 GMT
#856
This thread inspired me to play 1v1 again.
Linwelin
Profile Joined March 2011
Ireland7554 Posts
February 15 2012 16:13 GMT
#857
Oh and getting 10 TvT's in a row is awful and makes me want to punch a baby
Fuck Razor and Death Prophet
kusto
Profile Joined November 2010
Russian Federation823 Posts
February 15 2012 16:14 GMT
#858
On February 16 2012 00:54 ozeake wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 15 2012 22:31 kusto wrote:
On February 15 2012 22:28 Zanazuah wrote:
On February 15 2012 22:21 kusto wrote:
On February 15 2012 22:09 ozeake wrote:
Personally, I don't really ladder these days because it makes me angry.

Not just when I lose, mind - even when I win I get angry. If I win, I'm angry at the other person's lack of skill (since typically there will be some glaring mistake(s) they made) and if I lose, I'm angry at myself for not doing better. So, I save myself the aggravation and just don't play on the ladder.


Sorry but that's not ladder-specific at all.


Yes it is. He doesent get mad by team games or customs obviously.


Obviously people in team games and customs also make mistakes. And so does he.


Yes, but the point is that it is not the same situation. In custom games there is nothing at stake and most people don't take team games seriously.


I will teill you what my problem is with his statement. He says that he gets mad in ladder because of the mistakes he and his opponent make.

It seems that this is not entirely true, because you make mistakes if you play no matter where.
The only difference between the two "play-modes" he presents is that

1. 1v1 ladder: you are alone and ladder points are at stake, also tend to identify yourself with your league and points
2. Custom games/team games (also team games ladder): you don not feel as responsible for the mistakes done by the team, thus do not identify yourself with the league of the team. In custom games, obviously you make even more mistakes if you don't take it as serious, so his argument for not playing customs would be even increased.

This means that you are actually right when you say that something is at stake - it's ranking.
If you don't care about your ranking, then 1v1 ladder is very much fun.
the game is the game
Hubris
Profile Joined November 2010
United States113 Posts
February 15 2012 16:19 GMT
#859
The metagame is not fun. Other games are. Wont be playing anytime soon with the current meta. Probably done until Hots
Wut?
Logan_ps
Profile Blog Joined September 2011
United Kingdom118 Posts
February 15 2012 16:20 GMT
#860
I stopped ladder after 3 months of playing every day and realizing I suck after I had an hour lesson off a GM friend. I tend not to cheese and have got better at defending cheese, but I wasn't being active enough with my units - hadn't quite grasped how important it was to multitask Since then, I've played ALOT vs AI just to improve my macro, ensure I'm always moving a small set of units around the map, never stop building SCV's etc. I returned to laddering a couple of days ago and after a nervous loss in game 1, I won the next 3. It was so rewarding. I shall continue to play and love the game - it's just bloody hard!

I was new to RTS (well, I played AoE but not multiplayer). I used to play Warhammer (dice based) and various other Strategy games as a teen - I only wish I'd discovered Starcraft earlier (ie 10 years ago!). I run an FPS game community. Many there play CS:S or TF2 as their main game, HoN or Dota2 as their second. They (mostly) all bought SC2, but have all stopped playing - mostly because it's such an unforgiving game. To me, that's the appeal. To them, they can have a much better laugh playing any of the team games I've mentioned.
Prev 1 41 42 43 44 45 86 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 9h 33m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
NeuroSwarm 207
SpeCial 135
ViBE106
Nathanias 73
ProTech47
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 12575
Rain 1534
GuemChi 988
Artosis 695
Bale 13
Dota 2
monkeys_forever414
Counter-Strike
minikerr7
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox903
Mew2King100
Other Games
summit1g6480
shahzam698
WinterStarcraft485
JimRising 410
C9.Mang0323
Trikslyr48
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick555
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream47
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 104
• davetesta18
• Letter142
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Shiphtur295
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
9h 33m
INu's Battles
10h 33m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
12h 33m
OSC
21h 48m
Replay Cast
22h 33m
OSC
1d 22h
Big Brain Bouts
2 days
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
[ Show More ]
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.