• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 14:52
CEST 20:52
KST 03:52
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site BSL Season 23 Klaucher discontinued / in-game color settings Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7905 users

Nobody Plays 1v1 Ladder Anymore? - Page 19

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 17 18 19 20 21 86 Next
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
February 13 2012 19:23 GMT
#361
On February 14 2012 04:16 Dariusz wrote:
Rename thread to 1001 excuses that allegedly prove i'm not bad.

Some people have good points tho, the lack of good social features that would keep people playing the game is amongst the most influential issues. Also, lack of guaranteed gain from laddering. After you finish some achievements and sit for 3 seasons in 1 league you will not be motivated you to ladder more if you don't have the strong desire to improve.


I have a full time job at a law firm(on lunch break now) and the majority of my mental engery is used there. I have put a lot of time into SC2 and I am better than everyone I know personally. However, when I sign in, I do not like slogging through 1-3 horrible games of cheese and all-ins to play one really solid macro game. I enjoy SC2 a lot and keep at it, but I can see why some people quit. Why get good when other players can beat you being so horrible?

Or to put it another way, if we knew the average length of our opponents games, Bad Habit would never had made it out of gold league.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
padfoota
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Taiwan1571 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-13 19:27:35
February 13 2012 19:27 GMT
#362
Realize that people are not using the Auto Disconnect bot anymore too - Those are probably responsible for a couple thousand games PER PERSON who used it.

I know a few who does it
Stop procrastinating
Schnullerbacke13
Profile Joined August 2010
Germany1199 Posts
February 13 2012 19:28 GMT
#363
custom tourneys with mmr-based participant selection would be fun. Once you reached a certain level, motivation to ladder drops somewhat, however i still ladder, but not that often as in the past.
Also it would be really interesting to have a better custom game interface (e.g. search for a specific match-up and opponent mmr).
21 is half the truth
oogieogie
Profile Joined June 2011
United States3657 Posts
February 13 2012 19:28 GMT
#364
since the upcomming expansion pack is comming i bet that most people are just waiting for that to come around. I mean a expansion drastically changes the game so.
IronyDK
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
Denmark142 Posts
February 13 2012 19:30 GMT
#365
--- Nuked ---
blackberry_
Profile Joined September 2011
114 Posts
February 13 2012 19:31 GMT
#366
For the most part, SC2 was all hype these past years. This brought in lots of fresh blood to the RTS scene. Over time, they must have realized that 1v1 SC2 isn't exactly what they want to be playing. People then go looking for other games, or just play once in a while.

Honestly, for the majority of people out there, SC2 feels more like a job (practice constantly, or you'll end up sucking) than a means of entertainment.
Live your life.
Dariusz
Profile Joined May 2011
Poland657 Posts
February 13 2012 19:34 GMT
#367
On February 14 2012 04:23 Plansix wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 14 2012 04:16 Dariusz wrote:
Rename thread to 1001 excuses that allegedly prove i'm not bad.

Some people have good points tho, the lack of good social features that would keep people playing the game is amongst the most influential issues. Also, lack of guaranteed gain from laddering. After you finish some achievements and sit for 3 seasons in 1 league you will not be motivated you to ladder more if you don't have the strong desire to improve.


I have a full time job at a law firm(on lunch break now) and the majority of my mental engery is used there. I have put a lot of time into SC2 and I am better than everyone I know personally. However, when I sign in, I do not like slogging through 1-3 horrible games of cheese and all-ins to play one really solid macro game. I enjoy SC2 a lot and keep at it, but I can see why some people quit. Why get good when other players can beat you being so horrible?

Or to put it another way, if we knew the average length of our opponents games, Bad Habit would never had made it out of gold league.


Then play terrible like other people and win. Try that and see if you'll be winning more. You'll be still around 50% winrate, cuz that's how matchmaking works until you're in top masters/GM or low bronze.
Excuses, excuses, excuses. "I'm better but i keep losing, game is broken".
It's the reality of a competitive game. Everyone wants to beat you.
Tenks
Profile Joined April 2010
United States3104 Posts
February 13 2012 19:36 GMT
#368
On February 14 2012 04:28 oogieogie wrote:
since the upcomming expansion pack is comming i bet that most people are just waiting for that to come around. I mean a expansion drastically changes the game so.



You'd think if the person is good enough to actually care about the 1v1 ladder they'd know 90% of what you learn in WoL will transfer over to HotS. Its not like mechanics are going away in the expansion.
Wat
hzflank
Profile Joined August 2011
United Kingdom2991 Posts
February 13 2012 19:37 GMT
#369
On February 14 2012 04:34 Dariusz wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 14 2012 04:23 Plansix wrote:
On February 14 2012 04:16 Dariusz wrote:
Rename thread to 1001 excuses that allegedly prove i'm not bad.

Some people have good points tho, the lack of good social features that would keep people playing the game is amongst the most influential issues. Also, lack of guaranteed gain from laddering. After you finish some achievements and sit for 3 seasons in 1 league you will not be motivated you to ladder more if you don't have the strong desire to improve.


I have a full time job at a law firm(on lunch break now) and the majority of my mental engery is used there. I have put a lot of time into SC2 and I am better than everyone I know personally. However, when I sign in, I do not like slogging through 1-3 horrible games of cheese and all-ins to play one really solid macro game. I enjoy SC2 a lot and keep at it, but I can see why some people quit. Why get good when other players can beat you being so horrible?

Or to put it another way, if we knew the average length of our opponents games, Bad Habit would never had made it out of gold league.


Then play terrible like other people and win. Try that and see if you'll be winning more. You'll be still around 50% winrate, cuz that's how matchmaking works until you're in top masters/GM or low bronze.
Excuses, excuses, excuses. "I'm better but i keep losing, game is broken".
It's the reality of a competitive game. Everyone wants to beat you.


More people need to read this. You are supposed to lose half of your games. If you want to win all of your games then you need to play vs the AI. I think a lot of the 'ladder fear' thing is about this also: people expect to win more than half their games (and they should not).
Whitewing
Profile Joined October 2010
United States7483 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-13 19:44:00
February 13 2012 19:43 GMT
#370
On February 14 2012 04:30 VIPIrony wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 14 2012 03:42 willoc wrote:
Fair enough. I personally don't like "macro" games as they are even more boring in my eyes. Sitting back and maximizing your econ and army in the most efficient way possible without interacting with the other player seems more like single-player to me than anything. However, to each their own play-style right? I love having to balance advanced micro tactics while maintaining production in my own base but a lot of players just turtle up on 1-2 bases leading to an extra 5-10 minutes of making units and buildings (just like in singleplayer) which leads up to big a-move battle with fancy explosions. This obviously does not appeal to me but I won't let it get in my way of enjoying the game or let me use it as an excuse into "why SC2 sucks".


thats what you have multitasking and harassment for. Those arent the same as nobrained all-ins.


Yeah, he doesn't even know what a macro game is. A macro game is simply any game of SC2 where neither player utilizes a cheesy build or performs an all-in off one or two bases, so that the macro of each player becomes quite relevant. It doesn't mean never attack until max or turtle ultra hard, some of the best macro games involve constant attacks and army trades. TvZ in particular is very common for some excellent macro games, as is TvT.

Each player turtling and just maxing out without ever even attempting to engage is boring yes, but it's also not playing well. At the very least, in high level games, you generally see players feeling each other out. They might not engage if there's never a weak point to break that they spot, but they usually poke around looking for one. In some ways, these are the most interesting games as long as you understand what is going on, because you can see just how well they are playing to avoid leaving any holes at all.
Strategy"You know I fucking hate the way you play, right?" ~SC2John
sereniity
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Sweden1159 Posts
February 13 2012 19:44 GMT
#371
On February 14 2012 04:23 Plansix wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 14 2012 04:16 Dariusz wrote:
Rename thread to 1001 excuses that allegedly prove i'm not bad.

Some people have good points tho, the lack of good social features that would keep people playing the game is amongst the most influential issues. Also, lack of guaranteed gain from laddering. After you finish some achievements and sit for 3 seasons in 1 league you will not be motivated you to ladder more if you don't have the strong desire to improve.


I have a full time job at a law firm(on lunch break now) and the majority of my mental engery is used there. I have put a lot of time into SC2 and I am better than everyone I know personally. However, when I sign in, I do not like slogging through 1-3 horrible games of cheese and all-ins to play one really solid macro game. I enjoy SC2 a lot and keep at it, but I can see why some people quit. Why get good when other players can beat you being so horrible?

Or to put it another way, if we knew the average length of our opponents games, Bad Habit would never had made it out of gold league.


Or you could get out of the mindset of "macro = the only true way of playing sc2" and actually use some highly aggressive play right off the bat aswell. Makes the game ALOT more fun, trust me.
"I am Day9, Holy shit!"
fraktoasters
Profile Joined January 2011
United States617 Posts
February 13 2012 19:46 GMT
#372
On February 14 2012 04:37 hzflank wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 14 2012 04:34 Dariusz wrote:
On February 14 2012 04:23 Plansix wrote:
On February 14 2012 04:16 Dariusz wrote:
Rename thread to 1001 excuses that allegedly prove i'm not bad.

Some people have good points tho, the lack of good social features that would keep people playing the game is amongst the most influential issues. Also, lack of guaranteed gain from laddering. After you finish some achievements and sit for 3 seasons in 1 league you will not be motivated you to ladder more if you don't have the strong desire to improve.


I have a full time job at a law firm(on lunch break now) and the majority of my mental engery is used there. I have put a lot of time into SC2 and I am better than everyone I know personally. However, when I sign in, I do not like slogging through 1-3 horrible games of cheese and all-ins to play one really solid macro game. I enjoy SC2 a lot and keep at it, but I can see why some people quit. Why get good when other players can beat you being so horrible?

Or to put it another way, if we knew the average length of our opponents games, Bad Habit would never had made it out of gold league.


Then play terrible like other people and win. Try that and see if you'll be winning more. You'll be still around 50% winrate, cuz that's how matchmaking works until you're in top masters/GM or low bronze.
Excuses, excuses, excuses. "I'm better but i keep losing, game is broken".
It's the reality of a competitive game. Everyone wants to beat you.


More people need to read this. You are supposed to lose half of your games. If you want to win all of your games then you need to play vs the AI. I think a lot of the 'ladder fear' thing is about this also: people expect to win more than half their games (and they should not).


That's fine and all but there's a difference between losing a game and getting a lose/losing points/getting demoted from your league. I know it's natural to think, oh well you win you get something, you lose you lose something, but modern games don't really behave that anymore. Games like LoL, Hon or CoD will still give you things after you lose; you get experience/points/silver coins/etc. Modern games (yes I'm excluding SC2 from that category) understand that they need to reward people even if they lose. SC2's version of that is to remove your losses from showing (lol). It might sound stupid to people to reward you even if you lose but its an important reason why those games are popular and why people are still willing to play the ladder even when they lose.

If you're going to tell people, hey in SC2 you're going to lose half your games and you're going to be punished for it and feel like you accomplish nothing, but you should just grow up and deal with it... well you get the attrition rate we're noticing.
Ryndika
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
1489 Posts
February 13 2012 19:47 GMT
#373
Maybe start from fixing battle net. This is really starting to be old statement, which is very... disheartening.?..
as useful as teasalt
winsause
Profile Joined March 2011
United States65 Posts
February 13 2012 19:47 GMT
#374
Well I don't play on ladder very much anymore because of NA feels like it is all protoss sometimes, and BM is obnoxious
Noocta
Profile Joined June 2010
France12578 Posts
February 13 2012 19:48 GMT
#375
On February 14 2012 04:44 sereniity wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 14 2012 04:23 Plansix wrote:
On February 14 2012 04:16 Dariusz wrote:
Rename thread to 1001 excuses that allegedly prove i'm not bad.

Some people have good points tho, the lack of good social features that would keep people playing the game is amongst the most influential issues. Also, lack of guaranteed gain from laddering. After you finish some achievements and sit for 3 seasons in 1 league you will not be motivated you to ladder more if you don't have the strong desire to improve.


I have a full time job at a law firm(on lunch break now) and the majority of my mental engery is used there. I have put a lot of time into SC2 and I am better than everyone I know personally. However, when I sign in, I do not like slogging through 1-3 horrible games of cheese and all-ins to play one really solid macro game. I enjoy SC2 a lot and keep at it, but I can see why some people quit. Why get good when other players can beat you being so horrible?

Or to put it another way, if we knew the average length of our opponents games, Bad Habit would never had made it out of gold league.


Or you could get out of the mindset of "macro = the only true way of playing sc2" and actually use some highly aggressive play right off the bat aswell. Makes the game ALOT more fun, trust me.


This.
I used to hate laddering because i was playing zerg with that mindset, macro is the only way to play. A short game is a bad game, etc.
I switch to Terran, and even if i play a macro oriented style most of the time, all the fun agression build make the game a lot more enjoyable. ( never enjoyed TvP better than since i 2rax the match up x) )
" I'm not gonna fight you. I'm gonna kick your ass ! "
chestnutcc
Profile Joined July 2011
India429 Posts
February 13 2012 19:48 GMT
#376
Imo the stratified structure of the ladder leads to the phobia we've been alluding to. Its fine if there is a list of best players, but when there are leagues, divisions and ranks within divisions, everyone is petrified of dropping ranks within their own league. Objectively of course there are several divisions so rank 1 in division xi eta only means you're one of several, but to each player their league is their division. Also, there are only wins and losses, the points you have and the MMR are never visible so instead of trying to boost one number, you're fighting to retain a relatively meaningless rank within a lower tier of skill, while being petrified of trying to boost the hidden number. Of course, the solution is to desensitize oneself to this by playing more.
Chytilova
Profile Joined December 2011
United States790 Posts
February 13 2012 19:49 GMT
#377
Most people seem to be missing the obvious here. I have seen 2 or 3 people mention it. Skyrim and other games (though mainly Skyrim) caused many people to stop playing SC2. Every single one of my friends stopped playing around 2 or 3 months ago because of Skyrim. They are really just waiting for the expansion now.
i3rainless
Profile Joined March 2011
Germany34 Posts
February 13 2012 19:49 GMT
#378
Man this discussion somehow begins to suck...
A lot of people see SC2 as an entertaiment game.
But for me it's more like Chess or Go a game of skill. If you want highranks and lots of winning you need to practice, this is life.
If you want to get a great karate fighter you need to practice, if you want to get a good esports man you need to practice.
If you want to accomplish anything real in life you need to put time in it.
You can get fooled like in COD where you get every 2 mins or 2 frags a achievement but this achievements have absolutly nothing to do with your skill.
If you play cs, i agree you get a good feeling if you frag somebody(btw a frag has nothing to do with your skill) but if you want to win competetive games you need to practice a lot.
So if your aiming for pure entertaiment guys please watch a movie or play other games that are not as competetive as SC2 and stop whining.

I hope that are people out there that see things it like I do. I can't stand all that whining anymore it's so silly.
ZAiNs
Profile Joined July 2010
United Kingdom6525 Posts
February 13 2012 19:49 GMT
#379
On February 13 2012 23:15 mikep wrote:
I simply wanted to reach Master league. When I did that my interest in the game stopped, cause there is no reasonble possibility that I would ever reach GM without treating the game like a job.

Of course there is.
demitap
Profile Joined November 2011
Lithuania143 Posts
February 13 2012 19:50 GMT
#380
blizzard should introduce more maps from tournaments, it gets really boring to play on same maps, also all ins and stupid chees really makes people dont want to play this game.
Prev 1 17 18 19 20 21 86 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
AI Arena Tournament
02:00
Swiss - Round 4
FEL
01:00
ScienceCraft Qualifier
IndyStarCraft 237
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
IndyStarCraft 237
JuggernautJason55
BRAT_OK 53
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 24174
Mini 421
Hyuk 164
firebathero 141
ggaemo 120
Dewaltoss 105
Mong 47
Hyun 37
ToSsGirL 23
Dota 2
Gorgc8344
febbydoto17
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby3334
Khaldor1365
crisheroes1117
Liquid`Hasu862
Other Games
FrodaN2606
fl0m942
Beastyqt767
mouzStarbuck280
KnowMe185
ArmadaUGS135
Mew2King55
Trikslyr51
Chillindude32
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1051
BasetradeTV185
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream36
[ Show 19 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• printf 81
• StrangeGG 49
• Adnapsc2 17
• LUISG 10
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 36
• 80smullet 19
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 9252
• WagamamaTV436
Other Games
• imaqtpie827
• Shiphtur286
• tFFMrPink 18
Upcoming Events
BSL: Ladder Tournament
8m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
15h 8m
INu's Battles
17h 8m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
20h 8m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
1d
BSL Open Qualifier
1d
Replay Cast
1d 5h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 15h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 16h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 21h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.