• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 01:00
CEST 07:00
KST 14:00
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)64Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Sagi.gg Launcher Released an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7616 users

Nobody Plays 1v1 Ladder Anymore? - Page 20

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 18 19 20 21 22 86 Next
Fleshcut
Profile Joined April 2011
Germany592 Posts
February 13 2012 19:50 GMT
#381
Last season I was high diamond/ low masters level and then I went back home to my parents for x-mas vacation. Two weeks later, I came back to my beloved PC and wanted to play so badly and lost 8 times in a row. Haven't played since then because I'm still frustrated and I fear to drop out of diamond.
ZAiNs
Profile Joined July 2010
United Kingdom6525 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-13 19:52:51
February 13 2012 19:52 GMT
#382
On February 14 2012 04:49 Chytilova wrote:
Most people seem to be missing the obvious here. I have seen 2 or 3 people mention it. Skyrim and other games (though mainly Skyrim) caused many people to stop playing SC2. Every single one of my friends stopped playing around 2 or 3 months ago because of Skyrim. They are really just waiting for the expansion now.

Skyrim stopped me playing SC2 for 5 days, then I had done everything interesting there was to do in the game. I don't see how a single single-player game would stop your average SC2 ladder-er from stopping for several months.


On February 14 2012 04:50 Fleshcut wrote:
Last season I was high diamond/ low masters level and then I went back home to my parents for x-mas vacation. Two weeks later, I came back to my beloved PC and wanted to play so badly and lost 8 times in a row. Haven't played since then because I'm still frustrated and I fear to drop out of diamond.

Nobody gives a shit about your ladder ranking. Just play to for fun and to improve, your ladder rank means nothing.
Befree
Profile Joined April 2010
695 Posts
February 13 2012 19:53 GMT
#383
When I saw you use the word "nobody" in the title, I definitely was not expecting 700k.
phodacbiet
Profile Joined August 2010
United States1740 Posts
February 13 2012 19:54 GMT
#384
Because ladder maps are bad, i cant pick the race i want to play agaisnt (or the map), and people are assholes on ladder.
chestnutcc
Profile Joined July 2011
India429 Posts
February 13 2012 19:56 GMT
#385
Imagine a classroom where instead of all the kids just getting their grades and the best grades receiving the praise, kids were split into grade based groups and then further tested to get grades within their groups. How terrified would all the non top grade students suddenly be?
archonOOid
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
1983 Posts
February 13 2012 19:57 GMT
#386
there should be a highly visible option so you can turn off the ranking display and that should encourage casual play instead of competitive. there should also be a ladder for newly created community maps so you can explore new maps instead of just playing over and over on some maps.
I'm Quotable (IQ)
GreyKnight
Profile Joined August 2010
United States4720 Posts
February 13 2012 19:57 GMT
#387
On February 14 2012 04:52 ZAiNs wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 14 2012 04:49 Chytilova wrote:
Most people seem to be missing the obvious here. I have seen 2 or 3 people mention it. Skyrim and other games (though mainly Skyrim) caused many people to stop playing SC2. Every single one of my friends stopped playing around 2 or 3 months ago because of Skyrim. They are really just waiting for the expansion now.

Skyrim stopped me playing SC2 for 5 days, then I had done everything interesting there was to do in the game. I don't see how a single single-player game would stop your average SC2 ladder-er from stopping for several months.


Show nested quote +
On February 14 2012 04:50 Fleshcut wrote:
Last season I was high diamond/ low masters level and then I went back home to my parents for x-mas vacation. Two weeks later, I came back to my beloved PC and wanted to play so badly and lost 8 times in a row. Haven't played since then because I'm still frustrated and I fear to drop out of diamond.

Nobody gives a shit about your ladder ranking. Just play to for fun and to improve, your ladder rank means nothing.


Too bad there's zero way to indicate improvement besides ladder rank. There's no stats, no nothing. Giving players a reward or something to represent their progress is important this day and age
Clarity_nl
Profile Joined November 2011
Netherlands6826 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-13 20:02:38
February 13 2012 19:58 GMT
#388
Because, as you can see by all the posts in this thread, people who used to commit stopped committing, usually because of some reason they made up in their head like "everyone cheeses/all ins" or "the maps are stupid" or "the game is imbalanced".

When, in fact, people found improving too difficult and simply gave up.
Numbers will always decrease over time in any multiplayer game. Maybe it'll spike back up at a later date.
But saying: "No one ladders" is just absurd. There's so many people you won't even notice the people who stopped playing.


Too bad there's zero way to indicate improvement besides ladder rank. There's no stats, no nothing. Giving players a reward or something to represent their progress is important this day and age


Go watch a replay of yourself playing 2 weeks ago, and compare it with you playing now.
Did you improve? If yes, celebrate. If no, find out what you should be working on, and focus on it.

Giving people arbitrary inconsequential rewards won't help.
In fact, I think that might actually slow people's progress.
FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT AGAINST STUPIDITY CLARITY, I BELIEVE IN YOU! - Palmar
SCdinner
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Canada516 Posts
February 13 2012 19:59 GMT
#389
Now everyone is going to hate me for saying this but I found I couldn't keep up with the map changes and didn't want to ladder on unfamiliar maps. I didn't really play 1v1 for season 2 and when I tried during season 3 I didn't recognize any of them and couldn't figure out how to play on the newer maps so I gave up 1v1. I find with the team maps half of the maps from the first season are still there so I still have the foundation I acquired from the first season to fall back upon.
My other car is a battlecruiser.
Odoakar
Profile Joined May 2010
Croatia1838 Posts
February 13 2012 20:00 GMT
#390
I stopped playing at around S2. SC2 is just boring game, especially made worse by awful UI. I'm trying to stay interested in pro-scene, but I feel the game is just not developing enough to remain interesting. Bought a GOM season pass, but have only watched few games.

Since I stopped with SC2, I played Skyrim, Batman, GTA4, LA Noire and right now I'm killing myself playing Sins of Solar Empires. Great game. Also, I got into DOTA beta but didn't find it that interesting.
ElvisWayCool
Profile Joined March 2010
United States437 Posts
February 13 2012 20:01 GMT
#391
On February 14 2012 04:52 ZAiNs wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 14 2012 04:49 Chytilova wrote:
Most people seem to be missing the obvious here. I have seen 2 or 3 people mention it. Skyrim and other games (though mainly Skyrim) caused many people to stop playing SC2. Every single one of my friends stopped playing around 2 or 3 months ago because of Skyrim. They are really just waiting for the expansion now.

Skyrim stopped me playing SC2 for 5 days, then I had done everything interesting there was to do in the game. I don't see how a single single-player game would stop your average SC2 ladder-er from stopping for several months.


Show nested quote +
On February 14 2012 04:50 Fleshcut wrote:
Last season I was high diamond/ low masters level and then I went back home to my parents for x-mas vacation. Two weeks later, I came back to my beloved PC and wanted to play so badly and lost 8 times in a row. Haven't played since then because I'm still frustrated and I fear to drop out of diamond.

Nobody gives a shit about your ladder ranking. Just play to for fun and to improve, your ladder rank means nothing.


He gives a shit about his ladder ranking?
TelecoM
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United States10864 Posts
February 13 2012 20:01 GMT
#392
Probably because there is just all in / BM on ladder every single game, it gets kind of boring after awhile, so people tend to play more custom games / tournaments.
AKA: TelecoM[WHITE] Protoss fighting
TigerKarl
Profile Joined November 2010
1757 Posts
February 13 2012 20:01 GMT
#393
On February 14 2012 04:59 SCdinner wrote:
Now everyone is going to hate me for saying this but I found I couldn't keep up with the map changes and didn't want to ladder on unfamiliar maps. I didn't really play 1v1 for season 2 and when I tried during season 3 I didn't recognize any of them and couldn't figure out how to play on the newer maps so I gave up 1v1. I find with the team maps half of the maps from the first season are still there so I still have the foundation I acquired from the first season to fall back upon.

It's not like you can't play a map that you don't know. Just look at it against a AI Opponent and then you'll have figured it out enough.
hzflank
Profile Joined August 2011
United Kingdom2991 Posts
February 13 2012 20:02 GMT
#394
On February 14 2012 04:56 chestnutcc wrote:
Imagine a classroom where instead of all the kids just getting their grades and the best grades receiving the praise, kids were split into grade based groups and then further tested to get grades within their groups. How terrified would all the non top grade students suddenly be?


This is kind of how secondary schools are structured in the UK. Children are not terrified as the penalty for failure is smaller here than in India. (I dont know a great deal about India, but I assume Indian parents are stricter when it comes to their children's education).

I dont see a reason to be terrified of losing points on the ladder as there really is no penalty for losing, unless you care about your ladder rank which is worth nothing anyway.
Strivers
Profile Joined November 2010
United States358 Posts
February 13 2012 20:05 GMT
#395
at mid/high masters level (900+ rating) if you don't keep your mechanics up through practice and your game knowledge modern by studying replays and watching games its really hard to move up.

competitive sc2 requires work and can be stressful. i think these are the main reasons ppl quit after a few competitive seasons of ladder play.

These little dudes really like the blue stuff..
Ben...
Profile Joined January 2011
Canada3485 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-13 20:13:19
February 13 2012 20:09 GMT
#396
On February 14 2012 04:54 phodacbiet wrote:
Because ladder maps are bad, i cant pick the race i want to play agaisnt (or the map), and people are assholes on ladder.
This is basically it. I only get to play 2-3 games every few days because I am so busy with school, and the few times I do get to play I get multiple mirror matchups in a row no matter what race I pick, BM people almost every game, or people doing stupid stuff. For example, I tried to play two games last night, first game was TvP, and the guy 4gated me then proceeded to BM me after I went to kill him since he was way behind, and the second game was a TvZ where the guy went 3 hatches before gas (he got a macro hatch at 15 supply, before his expo), and not getting zergling speed until 12 minutes in then rushing for hive off two bases. I killed him with a basic tank push but he kept hiding hatcheries and stayed in the game for over 20 minutes until I finally killed his last structure. Not very fun, and the games seem to be increasingly crappy like that. I've started leaving mirrors (other than TvT because I like it) because if I'm only going to get to play 2 or 3 games, they might as well be fun.

I find myself going back to FPSs like BF2 (even though the latency sucks because there's basically only Asian servers left) and CS, or games like Company of Heroes more than SC2 now if I want to play something competitive.
"Cliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide" -Tastosis
Ballack
Profile Joined April 2010
Norway821 Posts
February 13 2012 20:13 GMT
#397
On February 14 2012 04:56 chestnutcc wrote:
Imagine a classroom where instead of all the kids just getting their grades and the best grades receiving the praise, kids were split into grade based groups and then further tested to get grades within their groups. How terrified would all the non top grade students suddenly be?


It's a game, not an education..
Just when I thought I was out, Blizz pulled me back in..
tehemperorer
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States2183 Posts
February 13 2012 20:16 GMT
#398
It's tough, I have family and job so SC2 is too complex for me to really keep up with because I can't afford the time it takes to be better than I am (mid masters). I don't have time to practice, and that's what you need to stay afloat competitively. Now when I play I just get angry because it's easy to identify bad players but I just don't have time to get better so sometimes bad players get the best of me and there's nothing I can do about it. Makes me want to play less.

Same thing goes with my SSF4:AE2012... I am at B+ and just don't have the time to practice against a bunch of different characters played by real good players so I will always win some lose some without getting better (too many players for a casual to learn to fight since you fight like Yun 3 times in a night then not another one in a whole week or something like that).

I am going to enjoy the new CS:GO because those skills stay with you and its balanced around common equipment and common FPS moves/tactics. I also enjoy Space Marine because it's kinda the same thing, no studying, just tactics n twitch skills.
Knowing is half the battle... the other half is lasers.
Mowr
Profile Joined November 2010
Sweden791 Posts
February 13 2012 20:18 GMT
#399
So if BM is making you less motivated to play, why don't you do like I do and block him after the initial greetings?
Kill one man and they'll call you a murderer. Kill an army of men and they'll call you a general. But kill all men and they'll call you a god.
Osteriet
Profile Joined November 2011
Denmark149 Posts
February 13 2012 20:20 GMT
#400
I was toying with an idea of "sparring" where you could join in teams of two in a 1v1. One of you played while the other one could spectate what his teammate saw and coach him underway. Tried it in KOTH with great results. It gives a feel of playing together and it helps you improve a lot.
Prev 1 18 19 20 21 22 86 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
The PiG Daily
08:00
Best Games of SC
BASILISK vs T1
Maru vs Clem
Serral vs herO
Clem vs SHIN
PiGStarcraft311
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
07:00
Masters Cup #151: Group B
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
WinterStarcraft685
PiGStarcraft311
RuFF_SC2 191
StarCraft: Brood War
Horang2 256
Stork 194
Leta 108
Hyuk 75
PianO 74
Bale 17
Icarus 8
yabsab 6
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm184
League of Legends
JimRising 692
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox737
Westballz34
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor599
Other Games
summit1g8686
Coldzera 820
C9.Mang0280
Sick118
ViBE75
ArmadaUGS36
Liquid`Ken9
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick774
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream124
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 92
• Letter148
• Adnapsc2 1
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2146
League of Legends
• Lourlo1184
• Stunt381
Upcoming Events
CranKy Ducklings
5h
Online Event
6h
FEL
11h
AI Arena Tournament
12h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
14h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 5h
INu's Battles
1d 7h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 14h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 14h
Replay Cast
1d 19h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.