• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 01:26
CEST 07:26
KST 14:26
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach Bot on ladder BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8124 users

The Foreigner Dilemma - Page 4

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 14 15 Next All
Bswhunter
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Australia954 Posts
January 25 2012 11:30 GMT
#61
wat.
no u see peopel can still break into the scene, its just easier than like a year ago.
you wont get like, a massive burst of popularity, but say im like good n shit, playing on US server, i see say, destiny on ladder.
we have a good game, im like yo, lets play 2v2's.
then we play 2v2's im on his skype talking n shit. if im intresting enough then some of the people on his stream will come and watch mine or something, idk.

(not that that's gunna happen, im a diamond lvl sea player lol)
Stop browsing and do whatever it is you're supposed to do. TL will still be here when you get back
desRow
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Canada2654 Posts
January 25 2012 11:31 GMT
#62
Good article, one of the reason I'm in Korea and plan to stay here until I stop playing. And it will become a lot worse once BW teams switch.
http://twitch.tv/desrowfighting http://twitter.com/desrowfighting http://facebook.com/desrowfighting
Soma.bokforlag
Profile Joined February 2011
Sweden448 Posts
January 25 2012 11:33 GMT
#63
On January 25 2012 20:29 LaLuSh wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 25 2012 20:19 Soma.bokforlag wrote:
seriously, can someone help me find the numbers the entire thread is based upon!?! nowhere can i find that the european and american servers has as few players as the korean!!

HELP!!

im starting to think that this entire thread is based on a LIE


http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=298240

OP's numbers might still be correct since there is no Season 5 data aside from sc2ranks.



yes, but all the numbers i can find on sc2ranks indicate that the difference is pretty much as big now as it was during s4
kevint
Profile Joined January 2011
Denmark42 Posts
January 25 2012 11:39 GMT
#64
I agree with this but i think that there is also quite a large difrence between european tournaments and american tournaments because there are far more open tournaments in europe with alot of really good players that sign up for them.
redDuke
Profile Joined March 2011
Australia207 Posts
January 25 2012 11:43 GMT
#65
On January 25 2012 19:06 Omar91 wrote:
I for one stop playing because TvP is so fucking retarded, Collosus-Chargelots-Storm-FF made me rage quit the game, I was high diamond.


micro?

Yeah I kinda get annoyed that non-korean teams are picking up koreans coz I'd love to see truly great non-korean teams start to form by taking in and training up promising talent, and keeping those who are alrealy great and trying to propel them higher.
vile | FXO | Liquid | EG | coL
Ewic
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada121 Posts
January 25 2012 11:44 GMT
#66
I really take what you said to heart because the situation you described is exactly where I'm at.

I've finally hit GM, I've taken games off notable names on ladder... But who's going to watch my stream? What team would want me (and pay)? Nobody.

One thing that REALLY upsets me is one of the few ways I could be making money playing this game is through something like Playhem... I have been to the semi's before, and quarters many times... But who takes the crown away? The same Koreans (Revival, Golden, Rainbow, Illusion) etc... Like seriously... I would be a lot more motivated to play if the chances of me actually winning anything were improved by removing said players.

/rant...
GrandMaster Terran
cydial
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States750 Posts
January 25 2012 11:46 GMT
#67
On January 25 2012 19:10 iky43210 wrote:
There's also another big difference between pro in Korea and NA.

Teams in NA pick up players only if they can get the viewers (stated by incontrol).

Teams in Korea pick up players if they are good or have potential

Its sad


Players like ailuJ are perfect examples of this.

MapleLeafSirup
Profile Joined July 2009
Germany950 Posts
January 25 2012 11:51 GMT
#68
Great post, I agree with most of it
This should definitely be taken into consideration for tournament organizers
Bippzy
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States1466 Posts
January 25 2012 11:52 GMT
#69
On January 25 2012 20:31 desRow wrote:
Good article, one of the reason I'm in Korea and plan to stay here until I stop playing. And it will become a lot worse once BW teams switch.


I didn't know you were in korea :D

But yeah i guess my comment would be if i were trying to go pro id take the violet route and plan to play everyday and compete in tournies everyday, with the goal being to improve to win tournies....making a name for myself hopefully? Idk
LEENOCK LEENOCK LEENOCK LEENOCK LEENOCK LEENOCK LEENOCK LEENOCK LEENOCK LEENOCK LEENOCK LEENOCK
slmw
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Finland233 Posts
January 25 2012 11:53 GMT
#70
I took the same data from each three servers, added dates from patches and this is what i got:
[image loading]

What did we do differently?
Here's the data:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]
edzwoo
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
United States469 Posts
January 25 2012 11:53 GMT
#71
As esports gets more popular in the west and becomes more accepted, foreigners will eventually catch up to the Koreans. It might take a while, but remember that Korea has a 10 year head start when it comes to accepting Starcraft and playing it for a living.

So yeah there might be a period where foreigners are sparse, but new talents are going to come up as SC2 becomes more popular and accepted.
dapierow
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Serbia1316 Posts
January 25 2012 11:53 GMT
#72
On January 25 2012 20:44 Ewic wrote:
I really take what you said to heart because the situation you described is exactly where I'm at.

I've finally hit GM, I've taken games off notable names on ladder... But who's going to watch my stream? What team would want me (and pay)? Nobody.

One thing that REALLY upsets me is one of the few ways I could be making money playing this game is through something like Playhem... I have been to the semi's before, and quarters many times... But who takes the crown away? The same Koreans (Revival, Golden, Rainbow, Illusion) etc... Like seriously... I would be a lot more motivated to play if the chances of me actually winning anything were improved by removing said players.

/rant...


You find it upsetting that players who are better than you are winning the tournaments you do play in? If you went to Mlg and lost would you find it upsetting that the same people are always reaching the top 4, top 8, top 16, top 32? would you be more motivated to play if your chances of winning were improved by removing said players?
Eat.Sleep.Starcraft 2
Alexj
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Ukraine440 Posts
January 25 2012 11:54 GMT
#73
There are many wrong assumptions in the OP, but also some good points.

Too many people bash on events that don't have highest level Koreans in them. The events that help foreign players to get noticed are very important, but many forum/reddit posters are obnoxiosly vocal about how they don't care about "lesser" players. Shut the fuck up already.

By the way, in Russia/CIS soon there will be a big online league for all skill levels (Sc2tv.ru Non-stop Games league), they have a structure similar to GSL, except they have more tiers -- from Code S, Code A, Code B all the way to Code F. I think this is exactly what OP asks for.
More GGs, more skill
NightOfTheDead
Profile Joined August 2009
Lithuania1711 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-25 11:56:39
January 25 2012 11:55 GMT
#74
On January 25 2012 20:44 Ewic wrote:
But who takes the crown away? The same Koreans (Revival, Golden, Rainbow, Illusion) etc... Like seriously... I would be a lot more motivated to play if the chances of me actually winning anything were improved by removing said players.



They should be removed because they play better? Isnt that the way the competition should work?
Remove all South America and Europe players from football World cup, so that African or any other national team could win it.
Ewic
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada121 Posts
January 25 2012 11:59 GMT
#75
@ dapierow & NightOfTheDead - I'm echoing what the OP is saying - tournaments are being won by the same people over and over again and there is little room for up-and-coming players to be noticed or win anything. I think you would understand when you devote as much time into this game I have and haven't received $1 for it.
GrandMaster Terran
Nihilnovi
Profile Joined May 2010
Sweden696 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-25 12:02:02
January 25 2012 12:00 GMT
#76
For me personally, I'm just tired of doing the same thing over and over I guess, there is little to no variety in a SC2 game at high masters in EU, everyone does the same ~5 builds because, well, there are no other viable builds. I went from playing hundreds of games season 1 to just a few last season and none this so far, and It's piss easy to stay in masters for me even though I don't play at all, that tells me that the foreign scene is really really really bad and empty compared to the korean.

On January 25 2012 20:59 Ewic wrote:
@ dapierow & NightOfTheDead - I'm echoing what the OP is saying - tournaments are being won by the same people over and over again and there is little room for up-and-coming players to be noticed or win anything. I think you would understand when you devote as much time into this game I have and haven't received $1 for it.


In response to this, I think it's a matter of that there are no new players. SC2 has a very small player base and for 2012 it's all set in terms of e-sports viewership but I really do wonder if it will be around for 2013 unless HotS turns out to be amazing
XRaDiiX
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Canada1730 Posts
January 25 2012 12:02 GMT
#77
Would this explain why Masters is harder this season.
Never GG MKP | IdrA
dapierow
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Serbia1316 Posts
January 25 2012 12:08 GMT
#78
On January 25 2012 20:59 Ewic wrote:
@ dapierow & NightOfTheDead - I'm echoing what the OP is saying - tournaments are being won by the same people over and over again and there is little room for up-and-coming players to be noticed or win anything. I think you would understand when you devote as much time into this game I have and haven't received $1 for it.


I'm sorry but that is an absurd statement... imagine your a pretty good basketball or football player and you tell someone Ive devoted so much time into this game and I haven't received $1 for it.
Eat.Sleep.Starcraft 2
Aela
Profile Joined January 2012
97 Posts
January 25 2012 12:09 GMT
#79
All people I know stopped playing. There is just no reason to ladder if you know you will never make money with it.
Gheed
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States972 Posts
January 25 2012 12:12 GMT
#80
On January 25 2012 21:09 Aela wrote:
All people I know stopped playing. There is just no reason to ladder if you know you will never make money with it.


Whenever someone posts something like this it just makes me sad. The reason people play is to have fun, goddamn.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 14 15 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 4h 34m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nina 137
SortOf 121
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2199
HiyA 384
Mong 152
Shinee 74
sorry 40
NotJumperer 21
Noble 14
Icarus 6
Dota 2
monkeys_forever1271
NeuroSwarm181
League of Legends
JimRising 641
Reynor60
Counter-Strike
Coldzera 743
Heroes of the Storm
WinterStarcraft611
Other Games
summit1g6907
C9.Mang0284
PiGStarcraft207
RuFF_SC232
ArmadaUGS28
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick669
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream373
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 4
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2148
League of Legends
• Rush1215
• Lourlo1203
• Stunt323
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4h 34m
Afreeca Starleague
4h 34m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
18h 34m
Kung Fu Cup
1d 5h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.